Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

‪Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IX: The Last Jordi [****]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

That was very very cold. Very very very cold.

Hope IO was able to enjoy it, it being his first home game of the season!

Larmour is electric. Lets see lots more of him please. Looks like Ross Byrne is going to be very hard to shift for JC when he comes back.

Josh Murphy is yet another talent in the back row. So much depth throughout the squad now.

Ross Byrne could be the slow burner outhalf who comes in under the radar for Ireland. Impressive tonight, albeit against shocking opposition.

If he does it's going to be hard to accommodate Carberry, Larmour etc in the backline. Suppose with injuries etc all will rarely be available at the same time for Leinster.

I think Larmour is worth a punt on the bench for Ireland in the 6 Nations. Get a bit of game time into him.

Let's face it would we like Rob Kearney, 2 years older, at the next World Cup or Conway/Larmour.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

nagdefy wrote: »

Let's face it would we like Rob Kearney, 2 years older, at the next World Cup or Conway/Larmour.

Ah jaysis, did you have to?????

Stheno wrote: »
    Ah jaysis, did you have to?????

Yes:D

Rob has been a great servant, and at his peak excellent. But he can't offer what that kid Larmour has.

I fear Joe will stick with Kearney for the 6 Nations and it's one campaign too long for me. I hope i'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,148 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Rob has been a great servant, and at his peak excellent. But he can't offer what that kid Larmour has.

I fear Joe will stick with Kearney for the 6 Nations and it's one campaign too long for me. I hope i'm wrong.
    Ah, he's hardly played for Leinster yet. I know there's precedent with Carbery, but that was exceptional circumstance because of Jackson's situation.

Six nations training squad a big maybe even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,180 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Larmour looks like a great talent but seriously...it was a Dragons understrength side. Lets have some perspective. Lets see how he copes with semi-competent opposition before calling for him to be in the Irish set up.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Ah, he's hardly played for Leinster yet. I know there's precedent with Carbery, but that was exceptional circumstance because of Jackson's situation.

Training with the squad I'd agree with tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I would gladly sacrifice the rest of Leinster’s season just to see Larmour stepping like that again. He should start every game. Up the La

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

Larmour with two threats on the wing :0

prawnsambo wrote: »

Many of the best players played for their country before their province. You either have it or you don't. If Graham Henry saw Larmour he'd be having a word with head coaches as he did about Carberry.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

Many of the best players played for their country before their province. You either have it or you don't. If Graham Henry saw Larmour he'd be having a word with head coaches as he did about Carberry.

Give me a break with the henry stuff

Buer wrote: »
    Larmour looks like a great talent but seriously...it was a Dragons understrength side. Lets have some perspective. Lets see how he copes with semi-competent opposition before calling for him to be in the Irish set up.

He's coped well with any test that has been put up to him underage etc. As i said previously if Graham Henry suggested fast tracking Carberry he surely would Larmour. He's very skilled and has a better physique for his age than Carberry.

I'm not going on that game but a blind man can see the pace, the evasion skills, good hands. Why not?

irishfan9 wrote: »
    Give me a break with the henry stuff

Why give you a break?

He's a world renowned and respected coach who won a World Cup? I always find there's a problem when a poster who isn't a regular comes onto the rugby fora there are a group of awfully condescending no it alls/

When you reply with 'give us a break' it's as if 'oh i've too much knowledge to debate with you'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

That was effin baltic but a good match in the end. Was having palpitations after the dragons try but whatever bollicking Isa gave them under the posts - and you csould see he was spitting fire - certainly worked.

RB had a great match.

Adam Byrne getting a game on the wing tomorrow. His attempted tackling on Nadolo was pitiful..

And you tell me Larmour doesn't deserve an opportunity?

We'll have the usual post mortems when we fail to reach a WC semi.

Graham Henry is not the be all and end all of rugby. He got it right in 2011. He failed multiple times aside from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Why give you a break?

He's a world renowned and respected coach who won a World Cup? I always find there's a problem when a poster who isn't a regular comes onto the rugby fora there are a group of awfully condescending no it alls/

When you reply with 'give us a break' it's as if 'oh i've too much knowledge to debate with you'.
    I think it’s because Carberry was very highly rated before he ever got here. The Henry thing is a media soundbite, he was expected to get game time for Leinster before he arrived.

Graham Henry is not the be all and end all of rugby. He got it right in 2011. He failed multiple times aside from that.

No but Schmidt took his advice. That says something.

Ah ffs Michael Jordan 'the reason why i succeed is because i fail so often'.

Why give you a break?

Graham Henry won a RWC at home (and somewhat fortunately if anyone remembers the final). He also blew a RWC with a fantastic side in 2007. He blew a Lions tour with a superb team (the England RWC winning pack with Wilkinson, BOD and Robinson outside). He left Wales after Ireland beat them by almost 50 points.

I'd put stock in the word of many coaches just as highly.

I think it’s because Carberry was very highly rated before he ever got here. The Henry thing is a media soundbite, he was expected to get game time for Leinster before he arrived.

It's easy say that it's a media soundbite, who knows only the individuals involved.

My basic argument is Larmour deserves a chance. If Adam Byrne is getting a game on the wing against Argentina.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,148 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Why give you a break?

You're arguing about something that hasn't even been said. That you say yourself isn't reality. WTF?

Ah ffs Michael Jordan 'the reason why i succeed is because i fail so often'.

No, Schmidt had little choice when IK wasn't playing for Munster due to TB taking the jersey and Jackson wasn't allowed enter the United States. It was Carbery or Jack Carty at that point.

Carbery will be doign well to keep ahead of Ross Byrne by next summer for Ireland.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I also said Carbery was good. So Joe took my advice.

In fact, I said it before Henry ever saw Carbery so Henry took my advice too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

He was being targeted by very experienced half backs and he answered every challenge they flung at him. He came out of this match quite well on the foot of that. Their entire attack at the start of the match was focused on exposing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

We need to get Henry in to tell the coaches that have already selected Larmour that he might be good? OK....

Graham Henry won a RWC at home (and somewhat fortunately if anyone remembers the final). He also blew a RWC with a fantastic side in 2007. He blew a Lions tour with a superb team (the England RWC winning pack with Wilkinson, BOD and Robinson outside). He left Wales after Ireland beat them by almost 50 points.

I'd put stock in the word of many coaches just as highly.

The 2011 WC final was a huge test for NZ after 24 years of failure. The tension, playing at home, expectation, Christchurch earthquake. With their 4th outhalf and Piri Weepu kicking the goals! John Hart failed in 1999, Laurie Maines in 1995 etc.

Australia were a better side than that Lions team IMO.

Aside from Henry, Larmour deserves a go in the squad.

Their entire attack at the start of the match was focused on exposing him.

A huge amount of their attack, including their try, was concentrated on attacking us around the breakdown and fringes.

Nobody's "entire attack" is focused on exposing any single player or facet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

It's easy say that it's a media soundbite, who knows only the individuals involved.

My basic argument is Larmour deserves a chance. If Adam Byrne is getting a game on the wing against Argentina.
    Adam Byrne has been impressive for the last 12 months. Larmour hasn't even played 12 months pro rugby.

The tension, playing at home, expectation, Christchurch earthquake. .

Come off it. These are reasons why NZ might not have won the RWC? Playing at home?!

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    We need to get Henry in to tell the coaches that have already selected Larmour that he might be good? OK....

Your a mod for this site and if that reply is your stock in trade i'm out. It's the know it all bulls*it sarcastic attitude that is rampant here.

Why couldn't you craft your statement something like 'well actually i have it on good authority that Carberry was going to be selected anyway'.

This old boys club isn't for me. It's no wonder that most of the province of Leinster outside your D4 cocoon supported Munster until recent years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement