Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord of the Rings - [Amazon] *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

I think alot of fault around this series is they literally only own the rights to the Appendices to the Lord of the Rings. They actually cannot use the works in the Silmarillion at all.

I have read all of JRR and Christophers works relating to this stuff and I used to get angered until I just had to park the idea of what I have read and just take it what it is.

In relation to Sauron here, based on my comment above, they did actually manage to do him a bit of justice. If you were to follow why he was drawn to Morgoth at all was due to his love of order from being a Maia to Aule... He was waylaid on that basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,292 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Gandalf, well all the wizards, were supposed to have arrived presumably by boat at the Grey Havens - according to LOTR appendices.

There were 5, the two 'blue' wizards don't feature in LOTR but I thought it was implied they travelled together to the East.

And the featured are Gandalf, Saruman and Radagast.

We don’t know much about the Blue Wizards. They are known as Pallando (also known as Rómestámo, which translates to “East-helper”) and Alatar (also known as Morinehtar, which translates to “Darkness-slayer”).

https://time.com/6222110/wizard-istar-the-rings-of-power

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

And the last to arrive was Gandalf as he didnt want to go at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭JRant

That's entirely possible, I just haven't gotten those vibes from it myself. It just seemed to me that he was always truthful to her, something she wasn't with him but that's another story altogether. As a stand alone character, I actually think Halbrand has been one of the better ones in the show. As the personification of Sauron I think they've missed the point though.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

That is a fair point and maybe the compressed timelines are what's causing so many of the issues as well. Wasn't he firmly the dark lord by the second age though after the fall of Morgoth? Seems to be a little of the first age blending into the second.

I do like the Halbrand character but it seems a little muddled.

Oh yeah he was, I suppose they had to give him a back story for the non book readers otherwise the show would just open with a bad guy and no one will know why?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭sekiro

To be fair, Star Wars did that way back in the day and it worked pretty fine, with the back story coming in later on. Even more recently Mad Max: Fury Road manages to do something similar with its villains and on TV I would say the Night King and White Walkers get a good run in the early seasons without needing too much backstory.

They could fill in the backstory of Sauron a few seasons into the show if they really wanted to.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

There was one episode where he made a sword on Numeanor. I thought, “if he is Sauron, that’s clever”. But they quickly moved on, there could have been more of that.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I'm sure the producers would rather keep the actor and retain familiarity then lose him to another ruse or suit him up as Sauron so early (we'll await a "Revenge Of The Sith" moment Season Five where he's unveiled in all his evil glory).

Having Galadriel find out who he is so early means the only interactions they'll have in Season Two will be visions/dreams. Lazy & forced. They've kinda snookered themselves. There's not much else they can do with him in his current guise, other than forming a very uneasy alliance with Adar - just for logistical reasons in Mordor. Good luck there, that won't be contrived at all.

There's no one else within the current characters that it makes sense for him to interact with - unless he painfully butchers all the Harfoots, or sticks a key in the ground which develops The Shire for them.

Actually... Isildur. Maybe they'll shoe-horn in a mentor/apprentice relationship between these two, which makes Isildur's heroics in the LOTR Prologue have more back-story...

• Advertisement

If they had introduced him in Numerior rather than on the raft it would have lent itself to a better story IMO. He could have maintained some level of deception throughout the season without giving the game away in the first episode. This could have really helped build the character with his relationship with Numerior and then with the Elves if he travelled as part of the group heading to the Southlands.

Now that he has the rings, my assumption is that he will now go to Numenor and "council" them and get in Al Pharazons head. He will probably use Al Pharazons army to overthrow Adair eventually, get them to try to attack Valinor, Elendil will sail back to Middle Earth and find his son is alive and establish Arnor and Gondor. Sauron will be free to flee Dol Guldur to Mordor when the white council assail him there. My guess next season will be mostly about the downfall of Numenor and Galadriel establishing Lothlórien with Celeborn, while Sauron is going around coaxing who he can to his cause.

Does he have all the rings? I thought only the three elven rings were forged.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭corkie

Speaking to RadioTimes.com and other press outlets, showrunner Patrick McKay said: "The second season is very much about more rings, you know. I the song at the end, [by] Fiona Apple - which is like a crazy dream come true - there's Three, then there's Seven. Why would the Dwarves be desperate for rings? And how do they get seduced? And how do they get fooled? And then Men is an even more complex story. There are Nine leaders of Men who want power. ~~ Link

So the second season ~~ the 7 dwarf rings.

But we've been pretty open in the past about where we intend to go: we're going to tell the story of the forging of the rings of power, the rise the Dark Lord Sauron, the fall of Númenor, and the Last Alliance of Elves and Men. Exactly when and how we're going there, and what hopefully delightful twists come along the way, will be things that people will have to wait and see. ~~ Link

Third Season ~~ Nine rings for men.

Fourth Season ~~ the fall of Númenor

Fifth Season ~~ the Last Alliance of Elves and Men

All just speculation on my part based on what show-runners have said in interviews on the media sites?

Edit: -

• Also in second season we will probably see more of Elanor Brandyfoot (and should travel east into Rhûn with the Stranger {/Gandalf??}).
    • Will Berek find and save Isildur?
    • Míriel's Blindness and change of Power in Númenor (Ar-Pharazon rise and marriage).

Edit 2: -

Post edited by corkie on

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I started watching this earlier last week. First few episodes I was optimistic about, this might be able to go places.

Then the last three episodes hit and man did it go downhill. I don't even remember what happened in Ep7 and I watched it not two hours ago. 6 was downright awful with so many "wtf, how does that even make sense" moments. 8 just flies through what should be momentous events at breakneck speed and focuses far too much on the Harfoots, who I'm getting very tired of having relatively enjoyed their earlier scenes. So much just doesn't make sense in the latter episodes - a trend that's far too common in so many tv shows these days.

Visually, it's excellent. Casting for the most part is good, really enjoying how they are portraying Elrond, Nisa, Durin, Harbrand, even the harfoots are played reasonably well ... for the most part anyway. Galadriel however ... It just doesn't sit right. Clark is trying sure, but she's just not very good - and she looks (note I'm saying looks, not is) far too young. She can't really pull off the "thousands of years old authority" look at all unlike Blanchett who was of an age playing the same character during the films. A lot of that is down to the writing/direction I'm sure, they can't seem to make up their mind if she's an angsty teenager rebelling against the world or if she's a massively experienced and determined commander of Elven armies. Like, pick one. Sadly though, it doesn't help that I think Clark is the weakest of the cast of main characters. I haven't seen her in anything else, but in this, I am really not convinced. Shout out to Elendil's actor, really enjoying him.

Also, how anybody expect Amazon to not use Gandalf is beyond me. It was always going to be Gandalf. Harfoots. Hobbits. Gandalf. Anything else was willfully ignorant. The constant on-the-nose throwbacks to Jackson's LotR movie dialogue should clue you in, they will try and tie this to those massively successful (for a reason) films and will use every nostalgia trick in the book to do so. Even if so far the show doesn't deserve to lace the boots of the films, and is even further in quality from the original source material.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭liamtech

Sorry for another post in this thread, my edit time run out on prior post.

It looks like the Media Sites, are still trying to milk as much content as possible, while it still is a Hot Topic?

It will probably remain so, until binge watchers get around to watching the season.

There is a site redanianintelligence.com with more photos but is blocked by browser redirects so avoid if you see the link.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

I'd agree with that article but with one caveat. Clark was awful in this, be it the writing, direction or just bad acting I can't tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,561 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

• Registered Users Posts: 37,911 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So is your man actually Sauron or is he just a host body ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I enjoyed that. Great cliffhanger ending. I take it that the Galadrial at the end is actually Sauran or am I wrong. So where is Galadrial then?

Can't wait for next season. Is it September 2023 it's out?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Probably won't be out till 2024 at the earliest.

Rings of Power season 2 release date speculation

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power season 2 will likely be released in 2024.

There was some speculation that Amazon Studios was fast-tracking the production of the second season, which began in the UK in October 2022. However, speaking to The Hollywood Reporter, showrunner Patrick McKay speculated that the show may require a "couple of years" for the next season to be ready. ~~ Link

Post edited by corkie on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭liamtech

no

No she isnt - she is the real galadriel

Sauron is on his way to mordor

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Awe OK. I thought that would have brilliant if that had of been thd case.

I take it Sauren pushed her into the river then.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Sauron is back for season 2? Shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

You know damn well there was speculation weather Vicars , not Sauron , would be returning. Only extreme boredom would prompt you to post that puerile remark.

THE LORD OF THE RINGS Looks Set To Become A Marvel-Style Franchise Courtesy Of New Rights Holder

We should have seen this coming, but with the rights to The Lord of the Rings now held by Embracer Group, they're looking to expand the franchise on screen similar to the Marvel Cinematic Universe...

War of the Ring - All Battles - Middle-Earth History Lore DOCUMENTARY

The above 3 hour documentary, give more info on the Second Age in the first 20mins, than what we got 8+ hours of ROP!?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Don't know anything about this show well. I watched it and have no interest in reading about subsequent speculation (for any show to be honest). I agree it was a petty remark and I was probably a bit bored at the time. Not sure why you took it personally though (apologies if thats the way it came across). I was 100% thinking of the click-bait media considering it noteworthy (but again based on no knowledge of speculation).

Advertisement