Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord of the Rings - [Amazon] *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭liamtech

oh its deliberate of course

This is the story they chose to tell - while all the time waxing on and on about 'remaining loyal to Tolkien'

Its baffling- if you watch those videos i linked to, you will see an AMAZING STORY, that i would have LOVED to see on screen - it would have been AMAZING!!!! and i wouldnt have cared if it didnt match exactly the lore - but a Jackson level effort would have been an epic

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 12,826 ✭✭✭✭JRant

It takes an extraordinary amount of hubris to take the work of one of the greatest literary genius to ever grace the world and completely butcher it to tell their version of the story. The cherry on top is that the version they are trying to tell is garbage.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭corkie

If his speech reminds you of anything, there’s a good reason for that: It echoes what Galadriel says to Frodo after he offers her the ring. That the seed of that speech comes from the Dark Lord is no small thing.

Now we have amazon, corrupting the speech as well. They probably meant as an Easter egg, but it doesn't pay off IMHO?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

None of it makes any sense. She wasn’t cast off the ship by the other elves, she jumped overboard herself to have a swim.

why wouldn’t see immediately tell Elrond what she just learned?

how are the remaining rings going to be made? Surely she doesn’t keep quiet for the rest of the series.

argh, my brain hurts at the stupidity. It doesn’t make any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭RickBlaine

Can someone who knows the Tolkien lore tell me if mithril was used as part of the alloy for the three elven rings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭corkie

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

At least we won't be seeing Lenny Henry again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I...

I don't understand...

There's still something, a part of me that wants to enjoy what happened, but I'm just too baffled.

I must hold my hand up, and say I must be anti-feminist, because Galadriel is an illogical moron.

It is insanity.

You look at Peter Jackson. A Tolkien Fan of course. Tried to include as much of Tolkien's story as was possible given time constraints. Went to great lengths to ensure his work would be loved by both Tolkien Nerds, and the average movie goer alike. Accepted criticism that he left out certain things (Tom Bambidale, the scouring of the shire, etc) - actively explained himself to fans, and went over his thinking on creative decisions.

Result:

• One of the most beloved Film Trilogies of ALL Time
    • Jackson praised by the public, by critics, and by Tolkien Fans alike
    • His trilogy creates a whole new generation of Tolkien fans

You look at Rings of Power. Who's show runners were handed the opportunity to create an ongoing epic. With near unlimited budget. To place themselves in the same league as previous great show runners and producers

Blatantly decide that they can 'do better' than Tolkien. They begin to warp the story to suit their goals. They change characters, the kill off some, they squash the timeline, the warp events to suit their own goals. When questioned they repeat the mantra that 'of course they will remain true to canon'.

Result:

• Amazon decides to ban bad reviews
    • Actors, actresses and those associated with the production attack critical fans, labeling them as misogynistic
    • Tolkien fans alienated
    • While shills in the main stream media tell us its fantastic, without ever explaining how they have come to this conclusion

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Accepted criticism that he left out certain things (Tom Bambidale

Did he really get a lot of flak over this I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,293 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I was ok with Bombadil not being in cinema release but pity it wasnt filmed for extended DVD release only... not like it needed a lot of budget / sets.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

A little at the time - but i remember some dissapointment over Bambidale - the only real flak he got was for removing sarumans death from the cinematic version

Fans of a book will always find some fault in a Movie adaption - but the overwhelming attitude to LOTR Trilogy is that its masterpiece

actually responding again - Bombadil is such a strange character - its a hobby of fans to try and figure out who he is! Its never elaborated on.

He is an old man. Who is immune to the One Ring. Seems to have other strange abilities - he appears when you sing his song. Despite him being quite far away. They discuss giving him the ring

Worth watching if you are interested - and yea would have been nice to see him

Is it not a necessity of the show to squash the time given the massive differences in the life span of the various races. From my understanding, to keep to Tolkien's timeframe, they'd either have to show a very limited series of events or keep changing the characters of the shorter lived races because they'd keep dying off.

Or you could do more of an anthology series. The immortal characters anchor the overall series. It would make it easier to get bigger actors for the season limited roles.

I would speculate that if we had a time condensed version of the ACTUAL STORY - we would all be here, right now, praising it

@odyssey06 - although your idea is excellent too though - that could have worked

SO many things could have worked

and yet, here we are

:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well for the discussion this is taken from the one ring forum here (3 guesses on their general leaning):

Average Viewership Comparison (Streaming and Cable)

HoTD (4 episodes) = 4.1 million/episode

ROP = (3 episodes) = 3.3 million/episode

The fact that GoT is with in 80% of both is also scary in and of itself in my books but hey; some (relatively) independent figures appear to show it's not doing brilliantly.

Interesting info but It is hard to judge raw figures other than their trends... without knowing the audience reach of the series respective platforms or how well the shows sit position wise. I wonder where RoP sits on Amazons most watched series.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

So - and I could be wrong here - but I think a number of posters aren't fans of the show. Will you save yourself stress and not bother with the second season two or so years from now?

My only knowledge of Tolkien's world comes from Peter Jackson's movies so I am actually enjoying this show quite a lot. However, I can totally understand why people more familiar with his writings would find this show frustrating especially if it makes substantial changes to Tolkien's story.

• Advertisement

But then we wouldnt have this post match discussion thread to look forward to where we can do our best Eamoan Grumpy :)

Plus it is free if already on Prime so not much bother.

Maybe if we had a book readers thread things would self select...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,911 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

There making Sauron sexy

I'm guessing he will lose that body soon

I have said i wont be watching S2, and thats for certain now.

If i may ask though - What problem does anyone have with people coming on to discuss their opinions with one another? We are all clearly fans of the franchise (some are just fans of the films which is fine, others have read the books which is cool too) -

But i dont get it. And i am being respectful in asking. I just see this a lot on various forums.

Also look at the chats people are having in between the justifiable venting

• Mithril
    • the actual forging of the rings - and their order
    • Tolkien lore

Yes there is a lot of venting, which IMHO is more than justified! But there is banter too! Frankly when i watched the finale i couldnt WAIT to get everyone's opinion here today!!

with respect

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I think that might not be a bad idea.. The dislike of fans seems to be far greater than the average viewer. I imagine it's the same for 'The Wheel of Time' which I refuse to watch because I'm more familiar with the material but again, non-book fans probably enjoy it more. And yes, there are people liking it who aren't all shills! It's a 3/5 show for me on average.

I can judge it on two levels

As a book reader I know there is a much better story that should have been told.

As a TV viewer I can assess it on its own merits but keeping its budget in mind also in doing so. Im not 'hatewatching'. At least not yet...

It reminds me less of any other TV show and more one of those golden age Hollywood biblical epics that either bankrupted the studio or killed the career of its director or star.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Yeah really wish they had Bombadil in the extended eds.

He's such a great character.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭jones

Isn't one of the big problems for ROP the rights they actually have? My understanding is they can't touch anything in the silmarilion and are bound to the appendixes from lord of the rings and perhaps some other specific stories.

Apparently Netflix bid more than Amazon for the rights but wanted full access to the writing. The Tolkien estate picked Amazon on the more limited access basis. Maybe I've that wrong but almost sure I heard that.

I'm a defender of the show, I enjoy being back in middle earth but even I can see there were big issues with the writing and pacing of season 1. But I still enjoyed it for what it was.

Friday night tights ripping it a new asshole now ! :D

Honestly, I don't think many will be waiting with too much anticipation for season 2. Many who enjoyed this season will start to read the books or the lore between now and then, if they haven't already. The realization that this show isn't the first cousin of what Tolkien created will dawn on them and that excitement which surrounded this season will evaporate.

That's my uneducated opinion at least.

This show is now beyond redemption for me. That's cool though and maybe others will get some enjoyment from it. It's firmly in the list of shows I may get around to watching again but only if I'm on a long flight and I've watched every other program available to me at the time.

• Advertisement

To cure myself of this garbage, I treated myself...

Advertisement