Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord of the Rings - [Amazon] *Spoilers*

Options
1414243444547»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I just watched the battle episode where Galadriel and the Numenor soldiers arrive in time to save the village

Galadriel has some great horse riding skills. And the chase - I don’t think I’ve ever seen horses on screen move that fast.

And the Atmos made it all even better.

I do though need it explained to me how Arondir brought down the tower.

And God dammit. I had to check the cast as I can’t remember a lot of the character names and I saw something on the list that either a mistake on the list or the ultimate spoiler.

Very annoyed at myself. I wouldn’t have seen it except I looked a second time to be sure I had the spelling of Arondir correct.

Flip sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭corkie

@Spon Farmer I do though need it explained to me how Arondir brought down the tower.

nonsense physics of how that actually collapsed the tower.

Spoilers in this but explains how that Tower collapse shouldn't have happened as shown

That’s a really robust rope! Fire arrows do not burn this intensely but also this rope would still take some time (minutes at least) to fail. Instead it is hit at 07:39 and fails by 07:41. Two seconds, that rope fails in two seconds.

As for spoiler in the cast list, didn't see any on IMDb, so don't know what list you looked at? A google search does have the spoiler.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

As much as the show ended up being pretty basic this is a bit nitpicky. It's a show after all, picking over things not being 100% accurate to physics is rather silly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Completely agree. There’s enough wrong sign the show to really go at.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I agree with your statement, but was answering a question from 'Spon Farmer', they wanted it explained how it was done?, when I first linked these set of blogs, I did post: -

Some people seemed have given a lot more thought to this series than it deserves?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Hadn't looked in a while but just noticed this is down to 6.9 on imdb. imo anything less than 7.5 for a series is pretty bad and would normally lead to the series being cancelled?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

i dont think it was even the most streamed show on Amazon , value for money how ar ya lol

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

When it comes to value for money, it's not just this complete turkey of a show...

I think they have the rights to a few more IPs

I read this:

but if anyone else has a more definitive answer, please enlighten me.

So what did Amazon buy? “We have the rights solely to The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, The Return of the King, the appendices, and The Hobbit,” Payne says. “And that is it. We do not have the rights to The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, The History of Middle-earth, or any of those other books.” That takes a huge chunk of lore off the table and has left Tolkien fans wondering how this duo plans to tell a Second Age story without access to those materials. “There’s a version of everything we need for the Second Age in the books we have the rights to,” McKay says. “As long as we’re painting within those lines and not egregiously contradicting something we don’t have the rights to, there’s a lot of leeway and room to dramatize and tell some of the best stories that [Tolkien] ever came up with.”

I appreciate the effort of linking the article but I will accept “nonsense physics” as the reason. ;)

Yes, it was on Google where they have the photos of the cast. I wanted to know who was playing the Stranger as I thought he was familiar. While having a quick scan to find him I saw that Charlie Vickers is not listed as Halbrand but as someone else. I’m very annoyed as I would not have seen that coming at all.

One episode to go (I will watch it tonight).

I am irked by one thing though - It doesn’t make sense that Galadriel would just give Arondir the item that he had told her must be recovered without looking at it first or asking what it was. Shouldn’t just the fact it was of importance to Adar have her at least curious enough to have a look?

Interesting hypothesis. was the script was written by ChatGPT ha ha!

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

@Spon Farmer

Did you get around to watching the last episode? Any outstanding queries about the show, that haven't been answered in thread (or links posted)?

I will be watching the last episode later tonight.

I like an episode a week and for something like this show I want it to last but hadn’t intended on it lasting this long but there is always something that gets in the way.

not today though - a magnificent meat feast pizza and no interruptions

:D

EDIT: I may as well ask this question now though as I won’t be on the boards again for a couple of days. I mentioned my confusion about this one in a previous post .

Galadriel was talking to Halbrand in the dungeon on Numenor about the symbol he carried. I think she was trying to get him to admit to being of the bloodline of the King of the Southlands. He told her that his family sided with evil in the war ti which Galadriel responded that her family started the war.

I assumed at first that she meant the Elven race and her actual family but then remembered that the war started because Morgoth attacked Valinor and destroyed the Trees.

so I’m lost as to what Galadriel actually meant.

Possible spoilers for episode 8 if I was to answer your question with knowledge of that episode.

After briefly working for a smithy, Halbrand is imprisoned for brutally incapacitating three of four men who had tried to mugged him in the streets of the city. At the prison, later, Galadriel tries convincing Halbrand again to accompany her to Middle-earth in order to "redeem" their blood-lines, as Sauron's endurance is the fault of the Elves who had warred against Morgoth, and of Halbrand's ancestors who were Morgoth's allies.

I have some unexpected free time today.

A fantastic end to a fantastic season.

Unfortunately I had seen the cast list on a Google search where some numpty had added in the spoiler that Halbrand wasn’t Halbrand’s real name. I would never have seen it coming but I still enjoyed the reveal and the confrontation. 

I liked the distraction that someone else was Sauron but I wouldn’t have fallen for it being the Stranger.

I would have liked if Sadie had survived (Hobbits shouldn’t die :p) but it was great way to go and the magic battle was a lot of fun. 

Are the three women in white or the group they represent from the writings of Tolkien ?

Why Sauron left the forge so easily after Galadriel stabbed him confused me and I had always thought that Sauron made all the Rings at the same time so the fact that he manipulated the Elves into making their three was a surprise. And the leaving was part of that manipulation. 

I’m guessing Sauron having the hots for Galadriel is not from Tolkien’s writings but I’ll go along it - she is very tasty.

That is the very moment.

I was certain Galadriel said “my family started it (the war)”.I remembered it wrong so. My confusion is gone. ;).

In the confrontation with the men from the pub Halbrand’s face changed - at the time I thought it looked like an Orc and that his bloodline had been cursed or such. And that this was the real reason that he wanted nothing to do with the Galadriel’s quest.

I’m glad we getting Sauron as main character. I was expecting them to keep him in his armour and that he would only make occasional appearances with the hero’s mainly having to deal with his henchmen.

EDIT: The information on that website is wrong about Halbrand working for the smith though. He had tried to get a job but as he was not a guild member he wasn’t allowed to work. Those four guys came after him because he stole the leader’s guild coin.

I had always thought that Sauron made all the Rings at the same time so the fact that he manipulated the Elves into making their three was a surprise. And the leaving was part of that manipulation.

The Three Rings of the Elves were forged by Celebrimbor alone, and were never touched by Sauron. They were made last, however, and their forging involved some of the arts taught by "Annatar". Thus they too were bound to the One Ring to some extent. They were named Narya the Ring of Fire, Nenya the Ring of Water, and Vilya the Ring of Air; they remained hidden from Sauron.

~~ https://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Rings_of_Power

So the show has rewritten, how and when the rings where made.

Are the three women in white or the group they represent from the writings of Tolkien ?

The Mystics were members of a magic cult that existed deep within Rhûn far in the east of Arda. The Mystics were invented by Amazon Studios for The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power, where they were portrayed by Bridie Sisson, Edith Poor, and Kali Kopae.

~~ https://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Mystics

Slim Sauron :-)

Post edited by corkie on

Thank you for the information.

It is an epic show and I am really looking forward to season 2

• Registered Users Posts: 33,001 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As someone who watched it when it came out, and quit after episode 5 or 6 through lack of interest, I have recently started watching it again with the family, and I have to admit it is better 2nd time round. Not brilliant but not bad.

I think I got too engrossed with black elves and Irish hobbits the 1st time around to enjoy it. But if you just chill and watch it as a tv show, it's grand.

The Hollywood Reporter cited data suggesting that 37% of people in the US who started The Rings of Power finished all of the episodes in Season 1. The site said a completion rate of 50% is considered good but not great. Outside of the US, The Rings of Power got closer to that, reaching about a 45% completion rate among viewers, THR said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Alexander Dreymon... no surprise there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Amazon it continuing to shoot the new season but without the showrunners or the writers or any producer with writing credit/ union membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,254 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 23,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Advertisement