Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord of the Rings - [Amazon] *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭byrne249

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭byrne249

Accents attached to troglodytes is in fact racist. Have some dignity, assuming you are Irish. If the monkeys in planet of the apes had nigerian accents what would you be saying then?

EDIT: You have to look at it in the context of the show. The elves are essentially the protestant ascendancy who naturally have no people of colour in the ruling classes. Then you have dwarves, humans and hobbits who are inferior races with people of colour and specific real world accents to accentuate their place in the world. It also implies that only inferior races can have people of colour leading them. Just think about it for a few minutes. It is an unusually and incredibly racist in every way.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,253 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Just wondering on the below as it's the most vital thing to happen on the show.

When they captured Oren, They assumed they got the dagger off him but no one bothered to take the two seconds to see if they actually had it? When they eventually checked it was too late?

Or did they actually have it all along and Halbrand/Sauron swapped it at a later stage behind their backs?

She's awful in it but then again her character is so badly written it wouldn't matter who played her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Nope, they didn't bother checking. Pretty much every story beat in the show is only explainable by the characters being morons.

Makes sense. Some of the worst and laziest writing I've seen in any show or film ever

• Registered Users Posts: 12,899 ✭✭✭✭JRant

The entire dialogue between Galadriel and Sauron in that last episode was quite simply unbelievable. Sauron says that she saved him on the raft? What in the name of suffering jaysus were these writers smoking. He literally pulled her from the sea. Then there was the whole "the other elves cast you from their ship". Again, no such thing happened.

These aren't plot holes, it's an entire team forgetting what they put in their own show which is unforgivable.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,335 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

But all cast/characters are affected by the writing of the show. Elrond and the Dwarves just got on and made it work this year, Clark and her weird tics, twitches and confused delivery of lines sticks out a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭corkie

"We have this idea that if you can watch it again, every single thing he says is not a lie, no matter who he is. And the fact that maybe along the way, people might go like, 'Wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute.' We're like, 'Great.' This isn't like a rug pull, we're not trying to like shock people. We want to, hopefully, reward close viewing and suspicions of him early. That's a whole valid version of the show, we felt."

They go the whole series, not having Halbrand tell lies, then in last episode when revealed he starts the lies to Gladriel?

@JRant "the other elves cast you from their ship"

Have a watch of the clip again, he never said 'from their ship' he said 'the elves cast you out', which in his mind is what did they did by sending her to the undying lands (Valinor).

Back to article quote:-

In the works of Tolkien, the Three Rings "for the Elven Kings under the sky" are the first of the Rings of Power to be created.

"The second season is very much about more rings, and the song at the end, by Fiona Apple - which is like crazy dream come true - [explains] there's Three, then there's Seven. Why would the Dwarves be desperate for rings? And how do they get seduced? And how do they get fooled? And then Men is an even more complex story.

Here they went with the rings poem and not the true lore of how/when the rings where made, Elven rings last.

The Rhyme of the Rings and is sung by singer-songwriter Fiona Apple.

The lyrics, as written by J R R Tolkien himself are:

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,

Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,

Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,

One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne,

In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie,

One Ring to rule them all, one Ring to find them,

One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them,

In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

These verses will no doubt serve as a loose roadmap for the show, going by the showrunners' comments.

• Advertisement

You are indeed correct and I got that completely wrong about being cast away. Thanks for pointing that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Non-book reader here, I enjoyed every bit of it up until the finale which I found a bit meh.

The writing/plot line development needs a major overhaul for season 2 but again it didn’t bother me too much until the finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,053 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Oh stop FFS.

The orcs all have south London accents. Is that racist too? Sam Gamgee had a Dorset farmer's accent in both Bakshi and Jackson's 'Lord of the Rings', was that also racist?

What a load of bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,123 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

And Davos Seaworth in GoT, an ex-smuggler and slumdog, is a slur on Geordies? Of course that's ridiculous but it would be clearly be a diss on working-class Dubs if Liam Cunningham did the character in his native accent...

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

whats going on at the end there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I, as a proud, born-and-raised Irishman who is proud of his heritage and accent....... couldn't care less really. My only problem was that some were better than others. And then I remembered: They are NOT Irish accents. They are not Irish people... They are NOT REAL!!! 😀

As for the show itself. I enjoyed it for what it was. Not as a faithful adaptation of Tolkien's related work but as a TV series. Like many, I think Galadrial was the weakest link in the show. Some down to the actor, some down to the writing/direction. Yes, it is unfortunate for Irish people that the Hardfoot accent is Irish-based. But, as has been pointed out, maybe there are a bunch of Londoners going "Why are orcs ALWAYS puting on bad 'SAFFF LANDAN' accents?" and why are Dwarves always Scottish? ALWAYS! (Again, not real, folks).

I thought Galadrial was too straight, Elrond too smiley (Although I did really like is friendship with Durin. Thought that was great). Thought Arondir was great. Loved the dwarves in general. Thought they were fantastic. Compare the funeral scene with Durin's wife to the song-and-dance of the washing-up scene in The Hobbit...

Thought the production values were great. I have no interest in trawling twitter for some blurry shots of "poor" effects work, thank you very much. Bear in mind: This is a TV SHOW!!! My God, remember seeing the Argonath in the cinema years ago? Remember how fantastic they looked? They did similar for a TV show (albeit with a mega-movie budget).

I understand that people are upset with the treatment of Gladrial and the lore in general. But this show is not just for them. This show has to appeal to as broad a base as possible. They don't care about the "W" word. They don't care about having strong or weak female characters or strong or weak male characters. They have no agenda other than making money.... As they should. The show (Any show) is a product that they wish/need to sell to as many people as possible to make as much money as possible.

So I'm interested to see where this goes. I will look forward to when it comes back. But I won't exactly be counting down the days. I won't be buying the extended DVD box-set. But I will certainly watch it when it returns.

Although I REALLY could have done without the Stranger being Gandalf...... Or that "I'm Good" line

Edit: Fixed typos

Post edited by TheIrishGrover on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭jones

But is he Gandalf that is the question. I think he might be one of the other wizards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I know !

I bloody love it !

And it just smells of quality too! :D

Initially I thought that too but then his last line to Nori was almost exactly the same as he said to Frodo in Moria

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

How can they appeal to "as broad a base as possible" by alienating fans of the books? Books that have been translated to over 30 languages and sold over 600 million copies worldwide? The show just isn't for those people ?? So you think that more people will tune in to see Amazons vision rather than the authors vision? Obviously a terrible argument that only serves to defend the molestation of Tolkien's works by a trillion dollar cooperation.

The DiVinvi Code movies weren't successful because they appealed to non-book readers. 30 Shades was a success because woman young and old who read the books bought tickets to see the movies.

Peter Jackson's movies were made to appeal to both book and non-book readers. When it became clear the Hobbit films deviated from the books , the box office take trended downward and not upward as was the case with his LOTR movies. Those LOTR movies BTW adjusted for inflation all take in Billions of Dollars. Which proves there is an audience for authenticity.

So you are completely wrong that Amazon went out to appeal to everybody. They didn't appeal to the millions and millions of pre-existing fans. Firstly that's not even possible. There is nothing made that can appeal to absolutely everybody anyway and their disregard for the books is a turn off to both readers and non-readers.

The finale for example , such a huge deal was made about the forging of the three rings. Along with Sauron's reveal , that was the grand conclusion to the season. But it made no sense and had no impact to viewers with no knowledge of the source material. HOD which is fairly inaccessible and true to the books appears to be far more popular. GOT was at its best when staying true to the books.

Now that the show is over , how can you tell they made the right decision? The damage control you see in articles like the one bellow is an admission of defeat and proves its never a good idea to ignore your built-in fanbase

• Advertisement

That article comment from J.D. Payne makes no sense

Sauron can now just be Sauron. Like Tony Soprano or Walter White. He’s evil, but complexly evil. We felt like if we did that in season one, he’d overshadow everything else. So the first season is like Batman Begins, and the The Dark Knight is the next movie, with Sauron maneuvering out in the open.

Sauron could just have been introduced as Annatar, like the bloody source material, and have NONE of the elves any the wiser. Even Galadrial did not know, she just did not trust him

How many of those 600 million are The Hobbit and Lord of The Rings itself? How many of these readers pored over the appendices? Of course they would like to please the fans but these appendices and other source material were not structured in a narrative manner. And I am not defending the "molestation of Tolkien's works by a trillion dollar cooperation". I'm just saying that it is a business decision. Movies, TV, music, books, these are products that need to return an investment. As repugnant as that may be, it is a fact. Of course the creators ideally want to do both: Create something that is art, but the money people? It's a product. And a company's obligation is to make money.

I'm one of the 600 million readers. I read The Hobbit first when 10 and LoTR first when 12. I think I bought just about every version of Jackson's Trilogy (Again, ignoring The Hobbit movies)..... Hell, if it had come out on VHS, I'd probably have bought those too. And NZ is on my bucketlist at least partially to see WETA and the locations (Even though most are rightly removed). But I can still watch this without feeling offended. I am not as precious (no pun intended) about LoTR as many are. And I think you'll find that the vast majority of readers are similar. More "casual", if you know what I mean. Enjoyed the books but that's it. And I'm not saying that being "Precious" about something is bad. At all. Everyone is about something. I am quite precious about Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy.

So you are completely wrong that Amazon went out to appeal to everybody. They didn't appeal to the millions and millions of pre-existing fans. Firstly that's not even possible. There is nothing made that can appeal to absolutely everybody anyway and their disregard for the books is a turn off to both readers and non-readers.

So what do they do? Not make it at all? If that was the case then nothing would ever be adapted. Everything would stay in their original format. All I'm saying is that there are more people out there who are NOT as knowledgeable and invested as there are people who know and love them passionately.

Then there would have been no issue with NOT crapping all over the existing work, as those who do not know would never have been wiser?

All they have done is annoy the fans who were actually interested in the 2nd age, by making pointless and contradictory changes. Thos 2nd Age fans should have been the ones absoultely driving the online word of mouth. It was easy to see they did expect this and had to pivot their marketing when that fan championing did not materalise.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I simply cannot understand why they made changes that directly contradict the books. Why bother? It was easier to stick to the source material.

Make the other rings first as practice then the 3. Simple.

Let Mithril be the key, but don’t imply the Elves die without it. Make up that the Mithril is needed for the 3 because they need to counter the 16 created with Sauron.

Now we are back at the same place without pissing everyone off.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I'd also add that trying to make Sauron out to be something he's never portrayed as in the books is a strange choice. I also found Saurons character to be compelling, not because he was evil but because he believed what he was doing was the right course of action. I think that was one of the main themes for Tolkien, that evil persists not because it's evil, per say, but because those carrying out the acts of evil were true believers in what they were doing.

The show has him as some sort of character that was looking for some sort of redemption or forgiveness and because he couldn't achieve that he's just going back to his old ways. It just makes him a less interesting character as a result IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭sekiro

It's a pretty baffling aspect of all this. Many of the people who like the show openly admit that they just switch their brain off and enjoy the show. These folk would like anything that the writers put in. As long as there were a few spectacular sweeping vistas, some orchestral music and an assortment of other special effects and action scenes they would literally forgive anything done with the characters or plot.

Nothing at all would have been lost by simply following the narrative of the existing work. Maybe they would have angered one or two Twitter mobs if, like Tolkien's work, the show was a bit light on prominent female characters. Maybe. That's really it though.

Halbrand being Sauron makes so little sense that you kind of have to just not pay attention to the story for it to actually work in any way. Galadriel is moments away from being transported to Valinor, she then decides to swim all the way back to Middle-Earth but on the way she somehow crosses paths with Sauron. Then they just happen to be picked up by Numenoreans and Sauron then finds himself sailing back to middle-earth in a weird attempt to stop a completely new character from creating Mordor. That fails and he then gets transported to the elves where he gives them advice on making rings, is found out by Galadriel and then flees back to Mordor. It's so convoluted and as the main plotline of the series it just falls flat. People still love it though so what can you do?

I can see the argument that if they were going to invest all this money in a new TV show they needed to get the general audiences on board. It just seems to me though that the people who enjoy the show don't really care too much about the actual quality of the content. I am sure that there wouldn't be too many people out there who would have loved exactly what we got in the show but somehow would have hated it if they had followed the story in the books.

It just really seems here that every time the path was opened up to follow the content from the books the writers of this show decided to put their own completely random spin on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

good speech.... but i don't think he is Gandalf...

aren't there another few angels like him we have yet to meet... my silmarillion knowledge is rusty... i suppose we all would like it to be him, but if not, i can look at the new boy as a new character we need...

jaysus tho... Galadriel... I tried so hard to like her character... to no avail...

anyone else agree?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,253 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I didn’t see him looking for redemption though. I think one of the few things they did right was to make him a clever manipulator of people. He manipulated Galadriel as well. He wanted Galadriel to join him because having here would fool people into thinking he’s good. Maybe I'm wrong

If there was a failed redemption arc, then that makes it even worse.

To go all book nerd again: real Galadriel would have seen right through it. Real Gil Galad did too.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

Complete change of tack: Didn't Peter Jackson say years ago (Maybe jokingly) that he shot so much extra that we haven't even seen, that they could make a mini-series of it? I seem to remember some photos surfacing of Gimli showing Legolas the Glittering Caves for example.

Advertisement