Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord of the Rings - [Amazon] *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭JRant

That's a beautiful addition to your collection I have to say.

One word of warning though, the story in that book is actually all wrong and the show is the real source of truth from now on. Galadriel is now responsible for the deaths of countless men, dwarfs, and elves.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I agree that I don't think many will eagerly anticipate season two. I'll watch it but there's plenty of shows I'll look forward to more, many made for a fraction of the budget. It's a high-budgeted 3/5 show that could (should?) have been better but I'm not invested enough either way to hate it or slaver over it.

As to the material it's based on - I'm sure some people will read the source material but I doubt that many will dig into the appendices because it's not a standard read (and not withstanding the simple fact many people wouldn't read these books anyway). In much the same way I think people are far less likely to read 'Fire and Blood' than the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' works, and even then many fans of the show won't read any of the books.

Many reading the books is wrong but I'd assume a lot will dip into many of the LOTR videos on YouTube for a start.

If they stuck even remotely closely to the source material they'd have a complete winner on their hands. There are countless avenues they could explore over 5 seasons and never get boring while also allowing them to use some of their own creativity along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I mean even outside the show taking a sh1t on Tolkien's work, it's not a good tv show.

It's got terrible writing, illogical characters, a huge issue with pacing and some terrible actors. When the only explanation for some of your characters decision making is that they're a moron, you've failed. That's not even getting into the bloody accents of the hobbits which verges on insulting. There's also a big issue with the story just doing things cos it looks cool rather than than making any sense (why the hell were Numenorians galloping full speed across the Southlands after landing, there was no rational explanation for that other than it looked cool).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭liamtech

well, actually

like a boss

Saw a few of these popping up - actually the most fun i have gotten from this show

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

yea would have been nice to see him

Not a sentiment I share I'm afraid

Would've been like Radagast on speed, or a medieval Jar Jar Binks

Hey dol! Merry dol! Ring-a-dong-a-dildo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭liamtech

poor Faramir

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm not a massive LOTR fan. I've seen the 3 LOTR movies but not The Hobbit films. Haven't read the books.

I'm left underwhelmed by it. Visually it was impressive. Some episodes had good action. But most of the characters were poorly developed, and the writing left a lot to be desired. There are very few characters here that I care about. It feels like a missed opportunity.

I would watch a second series but I wouldn't be desperate for it. A bit like how I feel about WoT.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭winstonia

Glad that's over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭corkie

Another 'Easter Egg', that didn't pay off. was turning the Mystics into wraiths?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I'm only coming into this thread to say that I just watched Episode 1.

Much better than I expected given the bile on the Internet. And I wouldn't really have noticed the Harfoots and Irish comparison unless it had been pointed out. Its not THAT bad.

Anyway, I'm behind the times but I shall carry on watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Non Book reader here finished the final episode,.

The writing has been my major issue.

One minute we've Gladriel preaching to the Queen, just after being saved, completley out of context.

Then we have Habrand telling the master Elf how to mix his ores.

It's just daft.

Looks nice though, too many producers/directors/screenwriters

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭byrne249

Completed. There is no emotional depth anywhere. Adar is in fact the only character who goes through any sort of reckoning and in doing so becomes more relatable than any other character. Presumably the opposite of the writers intention which at the base level indicates how utterly inept they are.

I was reminded of Xena by Galadriel and watched a couple of episodes as an amusing comparison. There is more human struggle, motivation and emotional depth in two episodes of Xena than we will find in five seasons of this, unfortunately. Highly doubt I will be back for the encore.

One brief moment in that episode when the stranger is being red herringed as sauron, I was hoping the harfoots and elves/everyone else were in two completely different timelines and we had two saurons running around, like the stranger shaves and it's actually Halbrand, lol, but alas, that would have been too much to hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,097 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Waiting for every episode to come out before I watch it. I've read the Silmarillion, aswell as the main story. If this is anything other than the greatest show ever conceived, I'll be disappointed.

The only indept expanded fictional universe that tops what Tolkien created is Star Wars, but thousands contributed to that. The scale of indept history and world building from the mind of one man when it comes to the world of Middle Earth is unparalleled. Staggering really if you read the Silmarillion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

I enjoyed it. Much of it was very predictable but as a blow in who was first introduced to it all by Jackson's trilogy, I enjoyed being spoonfed little portions of that world again.

The disparity between the critic and audience score on Rotten Tomatoes is very odd though. Definitely something going on there.

Beverly Hills, California

That's all mentioned in the appendices though, which they have

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Very enjoyable, looking forward to the second season.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Prepare to have your mind blown then. This show has very little to do with Tolkien's work and is instead a vanity project they could easily have done with attaching the LOTRs world to.

• Advertisement

I'm not au fait with the appendices being honest. I can only presume they went with the Halibrand character because they couldn't use Annatar. They even have him call himself the bringer of gifts in that last episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

Bizarre show how did they spend that much money on that nonsense

So many odd storylines but the worst was the Irish accents and making them so dislike able, Stupid and they literally kill their own

How the fcuk is this not being called out for being anti Irish. If those hobbit lads were all black with African accents and carried on like that on the show, it would be shut down.

Sad to see such racism not called out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,977 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The show has a ton of problems, but it was neither "anti-irish" or "racist". It's just an accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,977 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

What nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭jackboy

In fairness the vast majority of Irish are not offended by that nonsense. You can only be offended at a stereotype if you believe it is true.

It takes you out of the story though, hard not to keep thinking about the accents rather than getting into the stories. Like the Dwarves are Scottish for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

You can only be offended at a stereotype if you believe it is true - what does that even mean? all racist stereotypes are OK?

I wonder how they're going to portray Sauron going forward. Is that the last we'll see of Halbrand and is he going to be pure evil from here on? Maybe he'll take on another 'fair-seeming' guise to sweet-talk the elves and the Numenoreans...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,561 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Ive only seen clips of the show but Clark looks like she is completely overacting in every scene I have seen.

She looks like she is permanently constipated or holding it in.

• Advertisement

Who knows with this show, they could literally pull anything out the hat. I reckon they have Celebrimbor kidnapped and making rings for Sauron in the next season.

Mind you, it's so daft that at this stage it wouldn't surprise me if Galadriel forges the remaining rings herself, just for the **** and giggles.

Advertisement