Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord of the Rings - [Amazon] *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,899 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I can see it now, season 3, the desolation of Bezos 🤣

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭liamtech

Id agree with that. A few of us, including yourself, pointed to lore violations early on - and i have come to the conclusion the show-runners just dont care

AS A STAND ALONE TV SHOW - This show is very poor

• Pacing is mental
    • Time jumps everywhere, nothing lines up correctly
    • The dialogue is extremely poor
    • The story is baffling and poor

As a Tolkien Adaption, this show is ABYSMAL

• Despite claiming to be loyal to canon, the show is one great big deviation from the source material. I cannot understand how they got this so wrong.
    • compared to the real Tolkien second age, what we are watching id diabolical

Tomorrow is potentially my final episode anyway - so i will be watching to see have they managed to salvage any credibility - id bet my house they wont

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Ah come on, I'm 99% sure you'll be back to lose the rag in season 2.

No i honestly wont -

Iv been down these road with three franchises -

Star Trek: I am a lifelong trekkie, my earliest memories of childhood were watching TOS on Sky one - And Wraith of Khan at Christmas. What has happened to Trek is insane. I never thought any Trek series would beat Enterprise to Lowest Quality, but in walks Discovery. Mid season 2 to present, the show has literally gotten worse with every episode. Culminating with the S4 finale, and an actual current year democratic politician appearing on the show (for those that doubt Culture war politics has invaded entertainment, she was playing 'president of earth' no less) - The only thing that has me remaining interested is Strange New Worlds. Aside from that show, i struggle to remain connected to the franchise at all

Star Wars: From the disaster of the Sequel trilogy, to Disney churning out Series after series of low quality fluff, i have disconnected from it, despite again being a life long fan. I havent bothered with Andor after week 1's three episodes. I may binge watch it at some point, but after Kenobi, and Fett, meh - We didnt know how lucky we were with the prequels

Doctor Who: Everything was proceeding well with the first female Doctor who most (including myself) loved and embraced.Then Chibnail (show-runner) decided to retcon 60 years of TV canon. Again for those who doubt 'woke' TV is a thing - The 1963 1st Doctor, William Hartnell - apparently he is NOT the first doctor. It was a female child of colour, who had her regenerative abilities culturally appropriated by the entities that would one day become known as the Timelords. And the spin matches exactly what happened with Rings. People who didnt like the retcon were deemed toxic.

I dont want or need to watch another franchise be steamrolled over, by studios and writers who urinate on their audiences, while standing on the shoulders of their far more capable predecessors. I dont need to be told that their additions to canon are actually IMPROVEMENTS. I dont need to observe as critical fans are accused of being bigots, racists, Alt-right, or misogynistic.

I said previously i would watch the first season, and i will. To be frank i am just waiting to see the Halbrand reveal tomorrow - and i will undoubtedly chat about it with folks on here - but Season 2 will be a no go for me. Il re-read the books, maybe tackle the Silmarillion, rewatch Jackson's trilogies, and leave it at that

• Registered Users Posts: 16,122 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Maybe that's why they're keeping Sauron up their sleeves so long. Any indication in the books that he's a weird-looking socially awkward bald guy?

I havent bothered with Andor after week 1's three episodes.

You're definitely missing out there, episode 6 is an absolute barnstormer...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Others have commented already but aside from the crap story the scale is really really really off. The distance is never considered ever and it really is sad and a stark lack of attention at best or an absolute disservice to fans at worst. As for the southlands? Why stay there? Oh look better save the hovel pub and 3 mud huts. They escape once , why not just f-in leave, re group and ce back?

It has been very poor and a massive dissapointment for me. The numonorean armor in the last episode really took the biscuit, like what the actual hell? It looks like a long sleeve all over print shirt. How did that get passed any form of Q/A? It’s like they have absolutely no pride in what they are putting out. In episode 4/5 I think you can actually see their helmets not fitting right, is the mighty nation of numonor bad at armor or was this again another lack of attention to detail moment?

As for folks talking about the hobbit being poor … this absolutely makes it shine. It actually has a start, middle and end and sticks to the books for the most part. It also sticks to the original trilogy where it can.

When will the if you don’t like it don’t watch it brigade actually bloody admit it’s garbage? Where are the review bombsand neck beards for better call Saul, Rick and morty, narcos and a multitude of other shows that are actually good? If you take something people like, or love in my case, then bastardise it You going to get some backlash, Hollywood should have learned that with Star Wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,899 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Sauron was supposed to be able to take on different forms. The fact they don't have the rights for the Simarillion means they can't get into him corrupting the Numeriorians or one of the few references to the circumstances that lead to the third age.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,569 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Ahh Liam, there's your problem right there ...you just grew up !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Barnstorming? When the 30 orcs fought the 20 southlanders and 15 Numenoreans showed up to save them?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 28,499 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Well that was a marked step up, some of the choices I'm not sure on but I was honestly floored how good this episode was. The show seemed to flirt with being reminiscent of true LOTR at certain times but this was the first episode I felt I was in the universe from beginning to end. Even the Harfoots were good and the guy playing Halbrand showed his acting chops here.

Unfortunately I found Morrfyd Clark to still be weak though and it was noticeable again when she had some key moments in this episode. Outacted painfully.

Interesting that run of the showrunners held his hands up earlier in the week to admit that there were definitely some learning curves to take in during the first season. He must have known he had a winner in the finale.

Just finished watching it. TBH if you enjoyed it, thats fair enough. 100% happy for you.

I will respectfully disagree with the following statement though, from your post

The show seemed to flirt with being reminiscent of true LOTR at certain times but this was the first episode I felt I was in the universe from beginning to end.

No. Its not LOTR. Its a poor fan fiction. for anyone interested, canon tells us the following

• Annatar Lord of Gifts is Saurons Fair form. He comes to Eregion and teaches Celebrimbor to forge Rings of Power
    • They make dozens of lesser rings, as practice runs - to learn their craft and perfect the skills required
    • They then forge 16 Rings (9 +7)
    • Annatar leaves, and Celebrimbor forges an additional three, without Annatar's help
    • these three are forged AFTER the initial 16
    • Annatar returns to Morder, and forges the master Ring

This Fan fiction travesty - TBH im not gonna harp on, im sure we will all debate this later. But honestly, as i watched, i could tell exactly what they were doing. The brief misdirect at the beginning, was painfully obvious. The moment Halbrand spoke to Celebrimbor, i knew immediately what was to unfold. The big, eh, 'reveal', was tedious.

I imagine a writers room, of people who think they are very clever. And that OMG no one will expect this! And you know what they are right! When this show was announced, NO ONE WOULD HAVE EXPECTED A TRAVESTY OF AN ADAPTION.

And there is no excuse for this, this episode violates canon - from beginning to end.

Up until now, the showrunners could claim they were true to the source material, by stating that - Tolkien never said 'this' didn't occur, so we felt we had license.

Well, Tolkien explicitly described the forging of the rings of power, and this episode pisses all over it.

FARCE - Happy to discuss

@The White Wolf No offense intended at all, i get that you enjoyed it. 100% happy for you. Il be interested in what others have to say. But yea, if people enjoy it, thats fine, whatever. Its not LOTR though - not a word of that final episode is

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Yeah look just to point out I totally accept that from a mythology perspective the show doesn't care, and if that's what we're going to pin the show on we might as well give up watching. I was more referring to this is the closest I felt to being back in the films Jackson crafted.

Maybe my expectations have been lowered. I've skipped weeks and watched episodes together, sometimes over a course of a weekend because I've had to stop watching at times.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Kept thinking of movie Galadriel saying, "they were deceived". Except of course the TV version of G wasn't. The show has always looked good and the colour or ethnicity of characters has no bearing on the quality of the show for me at all. It's all down to the writing pure and simple and it's often the little things that add up in the end: -

• discover x is Sauron and tell nobody. Good policy.
    • x sees Galadriel receive some document and seems to instantly know whats going on - cue dark looks.
    • black sails in Numenor but Chancellor (?) is still standing there looking at King as if it just happened.
    • can we skip the jeopardy scenes with G? Totally pointless. Oooh maybe she will drown.

I started by liking this show. Was intrigued with where things would go as I don't know all the lore and history but it wore me down. Wasn't even that bothered by the Harfoots but they kept making speeches about how they support each other no matter what despite much evidence to the contrary. You ended up with them constantly doing things that made no sense. Get rid of that guy. He is dangerous. We have to help him. Even the most obstinate character makes a complete 360 on it after all their carts have been destroyed. Lots of people seemed to think episode 6 was a step up but ultimately when the writing is bad then you don't care about the characters and a battle scene has no meaning or weight. You can only consider it a step up if you just like meaningless action.

Is this the correct order of the rings being made? Do the writers care?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

It's baffling that after dragging their feet for the whole series with ridiculously slow pacing, one of the most important moments of middle earth history, when Sauron decieves Celebrimbor, takes about 10 seconds.

I also burst out laughing at "I am good!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭jones

Thought the finale was pretty good considering episode 7 was a whole load of nothing. The pacing definitely needs work in season 2 they seemed to spend too much time on small things and not enough in the areas that need more explanation or breathing room. I get the feeling they cut a lot from these 8 episodes and the editing wasn't the best.

I think they *really* rushed the genesis of the rings considering its probably the most fundamental part of this whole project.

Again visually and musically it was fantastic and good to get some actual answers in terms of motivations etc.

This episode was a 8/10 for me with the overall season probably a 7.

Interested to see what other people think of it.

I also burst out laughing at "I am good!"

The dialogue (well I suppose monologue in that case) is just so lame. The show had skilfully established a sinister, mysterious, androgynous presence for the white-robe trio, but that all evaporated when they opened their mouths and out came a stream of the bleedin obvious dressed up in cod-biblical lingo...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

The 3 rings of power were forged and worn before annatar was exposed. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. The 3elves would remove them when Galadriel found out they were designed so Sauroun could control them.

But in this show Galadriel knows her fellow elves are forging the rings for halbrand/sauroun/annatar. The third ring of balance was pointless , had she told them Brand was Sauroun, they would not have forged the rings.

Am I missing something here. Why on earth did she not tell them Sauroun was advising them on how to make the rings. Hell, why did she tell them nothing at all!!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭titan18

As I said earlier in this thread based on the abomination that the WoT was, this was complete sh1t of a show. It shat all over LOTR canon, and even taking that away, it was horrendous as a standalone show. Full of sh1t acting, terrible dialogue (the did you say riding is still the stupidest moment) and terrible pacing.

Honestly no idea how anyone thinks this is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Awful.

Just awful, I knew from the start that them calling Gandalf "Sauron" was BS, .... at this stage he should be just winking at the screen with the lines stolen from the PJ trilogy to scream at who he really is.

And as for Halbrandt being Sauron, was anyone surprised ? Nerdrotic and drinker, disparu, all the Friday Night Tights crowd had this predicted - spot on ...

Halbrand looking over Mordor at the end was a great shot. I did enjoy that and thought the actor did a great job at switching roles convincingly.

#TeamSauron

I thought the true Tolkien canon was that he forged all the rings and gifted the elves/dwarves/men the 3/7/9 ?

Also, Elrond being ½ Elven ?

is this an amazon add on ?

Annatar worked with Celibrimbor to craft the skills required to create the rings. Lots of 'essays in the craft' were created - weak, yet potent rings that were effectively dry runs.

Then the 9 and the 7 were forged.

Then Annatar Leaves

Celebrimbor creates the 3 Elven Rings

Annatar aka Sauron creates the One Ruling Ring of Power

Then he is revealed

As far as i can remember that is the sequence of events.

And yes had they known that Sauron was the person behind 'ring craft' they would NEVER (EVER) have proceeded.

This show is abysmal. nothing about it makes sense - at all

It is not an adaption of Tolkien, it is a blatant bunch of fan fiction 'Re-imagining' of Tolkien

Ive forgotten more about the books than I remember but I believe the elves were given the 3 rings of power from annatar who they believed came from valinor. The show makes no sense from a lore perspective

Thanks for the links ! and the YT channel!! Subbed!!

It's a defilement to the works of an ole English literary genius and I don't believe it was entirely unintentional either.

When they justify changing the lore by saying well tolkien didn't explicitly say this that or the other - they are not endearing themselves to the fans, they are antagonising them.

• Advertisement

Advertisement