Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord of the Rings - [Amazon] *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't like Galadriel but this is a load of rubbish. She's been in scenes with Halbrand and the bearded lad who does be with the queen. Teenage boys have no gravitas is a weird take really. Sounds like you're getting a bit too caught up in all this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭winstonia

Yeah it's nothing to do with woke or any of those stupid phrases people use these days. The Hobbit films were **** as well and I don't remember anyone talking about them like they are with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,063 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Your whining about so called "wokeness" isn't doing anything though is it. Big multi billion dollar businesses don't care about whingers online who get upset over black people and women in their TV shows and movies. They'll keep doing what they are because they think there's money to be made. And that's the only reason they'll do anything. They want to reach as wide an audience as possible, because that means more shillings in the pocket.

Mock all you like, if it makes you feel better, but you're just crying into the wind. However the only way to get media companies to change tack is to stop watching poorly produced "content". Amazon, Disney, etc don't care whether you're watching because you like something or you hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭corkie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭seanin4711

when the acting and the storyline are pee poor, then it deserves all the criticism it gets.

• Advertisement

Of course.

But pissing and moaning about "woke" and continuing to watch just makes you look like a gobshite...and in the end the companies don't give a crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭seanin4711

I totally agree but I haven't and won't watch a second of it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭jones

This is what i don't get. So you haven't watched a second of it but your saying that the acting and storyline are pee poor? Based on what?

This show has a lot of problems but some people going way OTT on it IMO.

ps not directed at you specifically

Average viewer: "This is kinda cool. I liked the bit where x did y."

Comic book guy: "Worst. Show. Ever."

My only gripe that this thing exists is that Amazon could have chucked some of the cash at a couple more seasons of The Expanse.

At the end of the day it's a bit of stuff to watch or not watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I watched the first 5 then gave up. So I can say with some authority that at least 5/8 ths of it is "pee poor".

I've read all the books several times but I'm not bothered if the story matches up with the books. Even judged as a new story without reference to LoR its still "pee poor".

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,900 ✭✭✭✭JRant

In the end, that's all there is to it really. Sure, they may come out and say we had X number of viewers but they'll already have the analytics done about who's watching, how they're watching, whether or not people are watching full episodes etc. That's where the real number crunching comes into it for streaming services. So, on face value it may appear to be doing well for them, the underlying numbers don't lie and they may already be having a rethink of the shows direction for all we know (which is very very little).

I just don't like this show because it's boring, poorly written, and has no story arc to speak of. This show may be many things but I've still to see anything that implies it has anything to do with the rings of power.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I finally knuckled down and caught up. It’s shite.

None of it makes sense. There seem to be about 40 southlanders, a 100 or so orcs, 5 Elves and about 6 dwarfs. Numenor, the greatest kingdom ever created by men sends 3 ships. Where is everyone? The scale is all completely off.

It’s called “Rings of Power” and we have no mention of rings.

The elves aren’t immortal anymore.

IT MAKES NO SENSE.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

The show sinks because it only looks down into the darkness 😁

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Would have preferred more of 'The Expanse' myself as well (it's a far better show) but yeah, that's not going to happen so at least I can enjoy this without frothing at the mouth. It's a "like" show for me and others - that doesn't mean we think it's amazing, that we think it's better than all other shows or anything like it. There's a range of shows I watch and this is a high-budget show that gives it a little boost for me and that can hopefully improve itself in it second season (at which point those hating it will have saved themselves stress and bowed out).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭corkie

@Brian? The elves aren’t immortal anymore.

The Elves gradually fading away is not a new concept to The Lord of the Rings. Tolkien's Elves suffered a similar fate, but the reasons were entirely different. In Morgoth's Ring, Tolkien writes that Elves were composed of two components: spirit (fëar) and body (hröa). While the fëar would last until the end of time, the Elven hröa would (very, very slowly) grow wearier. Elves who remained in Middle-earth until the Fourth Age and refused the return to Valinor would fade away completely, meaning their souls consumed their bodies, and these Elves would become detached spirits roaming Middle-earth. In this sense, an Elf is still immortal - just formless. By moving from Middle-earth to the Undying Lands, however, the Elves' hröa would age "apace with the fëar," thereby restoring their immortality. The Elves' fading is said to be a consequence of the darkness Morgoth brought to the realm.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,334 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Is there a non fanboi thread on the show?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

“As far as The Rings of Power's lore is concerned, every Elf contains the light of Valinor within them. Over many centuries, this blessed illumination fades away and, if allowed to extinguish, the Elves will fade along with it. Fortunately, the process can be reversed by reconnecting with the light of Valinor. Sailing back to the Undying Lands would presumably do the trick, but Gil-galad and Celebrimbor believe mithril can work just as well.”

ok, that's been made up for the show as a plot device. It makes no sense in the world of Tolkien, but what’s worse is it’s a terrible idea. The star of Earendil is a simaril, Elrond’s father. He’s mentioned a few times in the show. So standing outside at night should do the the job.

Also, the trees are long gone so going Valinor won’t help either. The Elves there should be suffering the same fate. It’s just so poorly thought out. They wanted to work in the Balrog, because Balrog’s are cool. Find a more logical way

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Pretending woke doesn't exist and calling silversharpe gobshite behind his back? There is a thread in after hours that's 100's of pages long dedicated to all things woke. But you won't go near it because you will be challenged. Coward.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭winstonia

I'd say it's because he has better things to be doing tbf. I suggest reading what you wrote again think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,123 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

It’s called “Rings of Power” and we have no mention of rings.

Well it's five seasons, if you front-load it all to season 1 the later ones will be dragging the arse out of the story. And Celebrimbor has been estabished as a master craftsman with grand plans.

I've got 99 problems with the series but no rings ain't one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

This season has been the very definition of dragging the arse out of it. We got introduced to a crazed psychotic Elf who thinks she's Charles Bronson in Death Wish, likes to swim, and happens to be involved in a series of contrivences and coincidences. Outside of that there's little to nothing about the rings. Sure, Celebrimbor likes to make stuff but to what end? It hasn't been even approached that the rings are the main purpose of the show.

LOL.

Sure thing. Hero.

...and if you're going to try and white knight for somebody, at least get their name right. 😉

Well in terms of the overall impact of the series it's better to do that in the first season I think. Lay the exposition and the world-building on thick even if a lot of the 'happenings' are pretty inconsequential. Fingers crossed this approach pays off in terms of graually building drama and tension in later seasons...

They'll even have rough numbers on illegal downloads too.

The show has been, pretty much, a disaster. It's tedious, badly acted, badly written, has uninteresting set pieces, with no compelling characters to speak of. In the end, that's what's going to drive the audience away. The general reaction to it seems to be very lukewarm, at best. No doubt Amazon will be rejigging what they can for S02 in the next 20 months or so. But I reckon that the ship is already holed below the water line. But, so far, very little has actually happened over nearly 8 hours of television, so the ball is in their court.

Sure, all that would make sense. Unfortunately this show doesn't do that. There's no sense of scale to the show, no world building going on, no political intrigue, no character development. Is Galadriel the protagonist or villain of the show? A trip to the undying lands is nothing more than a mere swim now. The numeriorians are relegated to a bunch of "they took our jobs" with only 3 ships available to them. The vastness of the Southlands turned into a village.

GOT was a slow burner in it's first season but we were introduced to the main characters, their main aims, a sense of the scale of the world (remember it took a few episodes for Ned to get from Winterfell to Kings Landing). I could go on and on but really what we've seen here is not how you build a world as big as middle earth.

I actually think that the fact it's been so bad means they can actually save the show with new writers, directors and recast of a couple of characters. Nothing much has happened that couldn't be fixed in the writing room if I'm being honest. They need to replace the two charlatans currently writing this guff with proper writers that know what they are doing. Galadriel needs to be recast to another actor with a broader range than the current John Smith cutout.

Unfortunately, I think Amazon are going to carry on as they were with some minor tweaks and this show will be cancelled after the second season.

The problem with Glad is not Morfydd Clark, it's the writing and direction. She's doing what's told and acting the part that was written. So replacing her won't do anything for the character. Plus actor switcheroos are always terrible.

TBH, though, I couldn't care less what they do with the show as I haven't any dog in the race at this point. The Orcs could tip a nuke on Lothlorien and it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to me. I might, in 2 years 😄 , have a gander and see if there's any improvement. But I won't be waiting with baited breath for it.

Yeah, you're probably right in fairness. I'm exactly the same being honest. Not invested in the show at all beyond a mere curiosity at this point. It's going into the long list of shows I might go back to if I have absolutely nothing better to do or watch at that time.

• Advertisement

this show will be cancelled after the second season.

Given that the show is a passion/vanity project for Bezos and he has the wealth of the Lonely Mountain at his disposal I don't see that happening

Advertisement