Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fairytale of New York?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

sightband wrote: »
    Thing that I don’t get is the use of the word ****** when she is referring to her partner or ex partner. How can she be calling him a homosexual?

It was widely used as a derogatory term for anyone who you thought did you wrong, very similar to calling someone a knacker now.... not everyone did it but it was common.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

It's funny how people always go after "Fairytale of New York" when Dire Straits' Grammy-winning "Money for Nothing" contains the word faggot not once, but three times.

I haven't heard that song in the radio in years, without the second verse being omitted entirely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

It was widely used as a derogatory term for anyone who you thought did you wrong, very similar to calling someone a knacker now.... not everyone did it but it was common.

was it? where? I grew up in the 70's (in a sh*tehole of an area) and the song was written in 80's. I have never heard it used as anything other than a homophobic insult. I have also googled the sh*te out of the word and anything other than it being a very homophobic insult and directly related to this.

a knacker and tinker, i agree but calling someone a f*ggot for me has only had one meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

I have to say this......
    FONY is overrated and overplayed

IMHO it's not even a good Christmas song. BTW is there an NYPD Choir?

Greg Lake's "I believe in Father Christmas" Now that's what I call a proper Christmas song!

"The peal of a bell,that Christmas tree smell,eyes full of tinsel and fire"
    and
    "I believe in Father Christmas,I looked to the skies with excited eyes.I woke with a yawn at the first light of dawn,saw him and blew his disguise"
    Far superior and not an Arse or f*ggot in sight

• Registered Users Posts: 15,938 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Thing that I don’t get is the use of the word ****** when she is referring to her partner or ex partner. How can she be calling him a homosexual?

Accusing him of not being interested in her anymore, he's more fond of the drink. Brewers droop perhaps, who knows or cares it just rhymes with maggot.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

was it? where? I grew up in the 70's (in a sh*tehole of an area) and the song was written in 80's. I have never heard it used as anything other than a homophobic insult. I have also googled the sh*te out of the word and anything other than it being a very homophobic insult and directly related to this.

a knacker and tinker, i agree but calling someone a f*ggot for me has only had one meaning.

I remember my grandfather going out collecting faggets, I think they were small stick's for the fire or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It was still spelt fagg0t and the meaning is a bundle of sticks.

F*ggots are a meat dish also....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I see US television is leaving out the rude bits too!

They're no craic!!

Saoirse Ronan BTW, nice job - reasonably decent singer!

But Fallon does a mean Shane!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Saoirse pain in the arse Ronan

jeeze that all we need :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

fryup wrote: »
    Saoirse pain in the arse Ronan

jeeze that all we need :(

Funnily enough I’d a load of pints with her five years ago and she’s actually sound out.

As for FONY, I can see why some stations would bleep out the word - they do the same for “n*gger” or “b*tch” or any other sort of word that would be considered a slur or a swear word.

That having been said, as McGowan himself pointed out, the person is a character in a song and that’s how they spoke. There’s literally nothing more to it.

People need to log off and calm down if they think is an important societal issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Steve F wrote: »

A "christmas" song. A subject based on an overweight bearded old man flying around the globe in a night delivering presents to the worlds good children

and you're concerned there's no NYPD choir.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Stick's and stones might break my bone's but names will never hurt me....

Unless you're a snowflake or something.....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I have to say this......
    FONY is overrated and overplayed

Greg Lake's "I believe in Father Christmas" Now that's what I call a proper Christmas song!

"The peal of a bell,that Christmas tree smell,eyes full of tinsel and fire"
    and
    "I believe in Father Christmas,I looked to the skies with excited eyes.I woke with a yawn at the first light of dawn,saw him and blew his disguise"
    Far superior and not an Arse or f*ggot in sight

No. But there is a thing called poetic licence.

sligojoek wrote: »
    No. But there is a thing called poetic licence.

:D

limnam wrote: »
    A "christmas" song. A subject based on an overweight bearded old man flying around the globe in a night delivering presents to the worlds good children

and you're concerned there's no NYPD choir.

Wait a second!! What are you trying to say??? Surely you can't mean????
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

BTW is there an NYPD Choir?

There is not, but there is an NYPD pipe & drums band.

There is not, but there is an NYPD pipe & drums band.

Try making that fit the tune :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I don't know what everyone's complaining about anyway. If you listen to it closely, it clearly says ‘you’re cheap and you’re haggard’ rather than ‘you cheap lousy ******’. I can’t believe you’ve all got yourself into such a state over an obvious mishearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Mincer was another one we'd hear in the midlands back in the day.

I don't think I've ever heard that used outside of Ireland.

The Irish are a fierce race of people for inventing insults.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

/MisheardLyrics

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

I don't know what everyone's complaining about anyway. If you listen to it closely, it clearly says ‘you’re cheap and you’re haggard’ rather than ‘you cheap lousy ******’. I can’t believe you’ve all got yourself into such a state over an obvious mishearing.

that's like a pissed up karaoke version

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Brains ******s mmmm
    Nooo Welsh meatballs has just being censored

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

that's like a pissed up karaoke version

Eh slow your roll there Larry. That's from Sir Ronan of Keating, a national treasure and the man who birthed the profound and era-defining "Life Is a Rollercoaster" unto the world.

Wait a second!! What are you trying to say??? Surely you can't mean????
    :eek:

no choir? :pac::pac::pac:

Mincer was another one we'd hear in the midlands back in the day.

I don't think I've ever heard that used outside of Ireland.

The Irish are a fierce race of people for inventing insults.

Easy enough to get it into a xmas hit, surprised it's not been used.

Advertisement