Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fairytale of New York?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

I doubt it because the people in this song are characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Is that because of the word ******?

I'd imagine it's because it has become the seemingly only acceptable Christmas song for our radio stations because of its tenuous, national soccer team like, Irish connection so it ends up being played every hour on the hour for the month of December (and half of November) with an obligatory 'Ah, isn't that great to hear again…' sigh of contentment from whatever prick is just after playing it. It reaches Guantanamo Bay levels of repetitive noise torture.

It's up there with that fooking Barry's Tea 'Well, doesn't that beat Banagher' ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I'm suing you for starting a thread based on one of my posts. Plagiarist!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'd imagine it's because it has become the seemingly only acceptable Christmas song for our radio stations because of its tenuous, national soccer team like, Irish connection so it ends up being played every hour on the hour for the month of December (and half of November) with an obligatory 'Ah, isn't that great to hear again…' sigh of contentment from whatever prick is just after playing it. It reaches Guantanamo Bay levels of repetitive noise torture.

It's up there with that fooking Barry's Tea 'Well, doesn't that beat Banagher' ad.

Banagher is a grand place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The BBC censored it back in the naughties. They reversed the decision after the Pogues gay guitarist Philip Chevron said it wasn't offensive to him or other gays

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

They should of banned Ronan Keating from singing that song outright....

*should have

• Registered Users Posts: 18,100 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Happy holidays. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

And you're a bum, you're a punk. You're an aul hoor on junk.

Lying der on de drip, nearly dead in de bed....

Ye scumbag, ye maggot. Ye cheap, lousy ******. Happy Christmas me arse, oh I'd rather be dead.

And de buys from de enn-why-pee-dee choir were singin'. Galway Baayy.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

jacksie66 wrote: »
    bundleofsticks_zpsxqguwpto.jpg

I don't see how these cause offence..

Well,

Put them standing up, add an axe to the middle and you have Fascist Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Louise O Neill was complaining about that last year saying it promoted rape. I'm sure she'll find something new to get offended about this Christmas.

Santas use of the words 'Ho, Ho, Ho'

Puts women down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

We need something rhyming with maggot which is offensive. Let me suggest craggot.

Definition. As if someone is from craggy island (see Fr Jack) . Synonym: Stupid. Alcoholic. Dumb. Drunken Irishman (offensive). More often than not used for drunken Irishmen in a drunk tank, partic. on Christmas Eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

anna080 wrote: »
    I hate this song with an inherent passion. It literally fills me with rage.

I hate it too but what I hate more is the fact that everyone else seems to love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Cordell

Listening to it at the moment. Great tune.
    Lights already up in Limerick.
    I've had my first mince pie 2 weeks ago.
    Just 7 weeks until Christmas!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

They should of banned Ronan Keating from singing that song outright....

I remember Bill Bailey on QI saying the someone posted a comment on youtube of the video for this that said "This is the worst thing that has ever happened". :pac:

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Your beloved America is leading the way on modern de facto censorship. And of course, it banned books in its day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The NYPD choir.

No such thing lads!!!! I mean absolutely never existed - like ever. Much less sang Galway Bay.

I know. I've ruined Christmas for all the children out there, progressive and otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Cordell

I know that they were some sort of amateur march band playing something else and they slowed down the footage to match the expected tempo. But they were NYPD. Right?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cordell wrote: »
    I know that they were some sort of amateur march band playing something else and they slowed down the footage to match the expected tempo. But they were NYPD. Right?
    Yeah, apparently the NYPD have or had an Irish pipe band but not a choir.

I doubt MacGowan gave it much research and just stuck "NYPD choir" in the lyrics because it fit the tempo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Was it used back in the day as a homophobic slur in the UK and Ireland though?

I thought that Americans were the ones who attached the gay connotations to the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

valoren wrote: »
    I remember Bill Bailey on QI saying the someone posted a comment on youtube of the video for this that said "This is the worst thing that has ever happened". :pac:

I want to meet the person who o.k'd the cover and throw eggnog in his face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

I'd imagine it's because it has become the seemingly only acceptable Christmas song for our radio stations because of its tenuous, national soccer team like, Irish connection.

Why is its Irish connection tenuous?
    Cordell wrote: »

Correct they were the NYPD Pipe Band and they didn't know Galway Bay so they played the Mickey Mouse Club March instead and apparently were all very intoxicated when recording it, fittingly enough I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

Fixed your post.

You didn't fix it properly... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Is this classic of English cuisine next to be banned? -

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Well if the poet Robert Graves said it, it must be true. Look, we had laws on censorship like many other countries, unlike other countries we didnt really enforce them. If you wanted your sales to go up, get banned.
    Like it or not, the United States has the most robust freedom of speech protections in the world. Ireland, with its anemic constitutional protection for free speech, does not come close.

You might want to have a word with Senator Feinstein who is warning FaceBook and Twitter that they must clean up their act on Russian interference ( read stuff what she doesn't like). In fact a lot of control in the US is via the private sector, the news organisations, the media, the universities and hollywood. You can say what you want but nobody is going to hear you as you are de-platformed. The internet is under threat there as nowhere else in the democratic world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

anna080 wrote: »
    I hate this song with an inherent passion. It literally fills me with rage.

Muhahaha!

Advertisement