Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fairytale of New York?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Just stemming from a post in the McGregor thread. Is it just a matter of time until the above song is edited as it is now offensive? I know ronan keating covered it a few years ago and changed the word.

Yeah let's Ronan Ketaing it, again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Three things I'm taking away from this documentary so far:
    1: Shane MacGowan looks fuçking awful, like any old junkie you'd see around town.
    2: I really hate Bob Geldolf.
    3: Fairytale of New York really is a brilliant song.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,536 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

DJs ... I am ok with ye playing Fairytale at a christmas party... but only ONCE!

Like even if one version is the christy moore cover or sth that might be ok.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,799 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A behind the scenes documentary on the music video would have been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,439 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Shane looks like death warmed up.

He makes €500k every Christmas from the song.

You would hope he puts some of the money into looking after his health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Shane looks like death warmed up.

He makes €500k every Christmas from the song.

You would hope he puts some of the money into looking after his health.

No amount of money can fix a body destroyed by heroin.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

You scumbag you maggot
    You cheap Ballyragget

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

That word said to someone they completely love while completely hating them is genius writing. McColls vicious delivery is heartbreakingly beautiful.
    To change it is an insult to writer, singer and listener.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

She's such a hypocritical twit , claims Tupac is her "woke bae" despite being a convicted abuser (against her shilling of "rape culture" nonsense) and her fondance of Weeknd in an interview "I can't stop listening to The Weeknd right now. The lyrics are horribly misogynistic but I find the album ridiculously sexy. My head and my heart are feminist. My vagina? Not so much." (

I was going to write something more considered upon seeing this post but I can't, I really can't stand that person. Not even just the point she's making there, and the obvious hypocrisy and crasness, but her choice of words make me want to throw this phone out of the window. She's an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

And just a year later, here we are.

Fed up of this world now tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

While I understand that the word in question here is beyond insulting to the LGTB community I think context is important here.

The word is not being used in that way in this song as far as I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

While I understand that the word in question here is beyond insulting to the LGTB community I think context is important here.

Even if it was we can’t go back over every song, movie, book and tv show looking for something that some people may be insulted by (personally I doubt that the LGBT community are particularly bothered by the song).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

No. When the song first came out it was slang for a cigarette. Basically she's saying he's as useless as a cheap cigarette.

Hell, its still used as a slang for cigarettes to this day. We need to stop pandering to the professionally outraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    No. When the song first came out it was slang for a cigarette. Basically she's saying he's as useless as a cheap cigarette.

Hell, its still used as a slang for cigarettes to this day. We need to stop pandering to the professionally outraged.

Don't think this was the case. A cigarette was a fag which was not short for fággot.

A fag is a left over/remnant piece of cloth so the end of a cigarette was a fag end. Nobody ever asked someone for a lend of a fággot.

I was a teenager in the 80s and fággot was definitely used as a gay insult then and has been for years.

However, nobody felt this way about the song as it's a fight between a couple and she's clearly using it to call him a dick.

All about context and I fail to see how people can be offended by it.

Also, it bloody rhymes too.

Will arsehole be removed as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

murpho999 wrote: »
    Don't think this was the case. A cigarette was a fag which was not short for fot.

A fag is a left over/remnant piece of cloth so the end of a cigarette was a fag end.

I was a teenager in the 80s and fot was definitely used as a gay insult then and has been for years.

However, nobody felt this way about the song as it's a fight between a couple and she's clearly using it to call him a dick.

All about context and I fail to see how people can be offended by it.

Also, it bloody rhymes too.

Will arsehole be removed as well?

Which stand up comedian said he never used the word fagot(intentionally misspelled) to slate gay people, only ever when people acted like fagots? He was spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

What are you blabbering on about?
    fag=/=fággot.

"Give us a load of a fággot", said no smoker ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

This is a professionally stupid post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Thought Baby It’s Cold Outside was to be this year's problematic song?

This post is from last year? don't remember that kerfuffle myself at all.

This post is from last year? don't remember that kerfuffle myself at all.

Sure they recycle this nonsense controversy nearly every year now.

The song has had the word censored on pre-watershed radio for years now, but every year the usual types come out of the woodwork and start acting like it's suddenly censorship of free speech or some gibberish.

I'm 100% sure we'll see the same bull**** come up next year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Doesn't he call yer wan a sl*t as well? How come that's slipping through the outrage? Unless someone's mentioned it in here already because I haven't read through the whole thread :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Doesn't he call yer wan a sl*t as well? How come that's slipping through the outrage? Unless someone's mentioned it in here already because I haven't read through the whole thread :o

The slut community don’t have morons being outraged on their behalf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Sonics2k wrote: »

The song has had the word censored on pre-watershed radio for years now, but every year the usual types come out of the woodwork and start acting like it's suddenly censorship of free speech or some gibberish.

Oh I know the fairytale of NY controversy is an annual thing since before Ronan Keating did his fine version of the song, just cant remember the same about Baby its cold outside

Oh I know the fairytale of NY controversy is an annual thing since before Ronan Keating did his fine version of the song, just cant remember the same about Baby its cold outside

Nah it's come up a few times. To be fair though, the lyrics are pretty creepy when you listen to them.

It kinda reminds of this gem

• Registered Users Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

They should ban this McDermott lad and his stupid hair instead.

Hadn't heard of him before this and a quick google confirmed my suspicions that he would look like a tosser.

• Site Banned Posts: 9 Yikes!

Heard some women talking about Baby it's cold outside in work today. They were offended, not because of the song, but because social justice puritans see women as weak and in need of protection.

Seems to me normal women don't care. It's the blue haired lesbians and their creepy male feminist supplicants who want to do the censoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Lads. What if, and I'm just throwing this out there, but what it, Fairytale of New York is a massively overrated song anyway?

I mean it's certainly no Mistletoe and Wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

They should ban this McDermott lad and his stupid hair instead.

Hadn't heard of him before this and a quick google confirmed my suspicions that he would look like a tosser.

Never really had a problem with McDermott but he looked the type who'd be up in hysteric's over some stupid controversy such as this. Maybe he needs to watch some more South Park and spend less time on twitter with the rest of the PC brigade :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

I despise the internet at times. Recreational outrage of the emotionally incapable looking to stir up attention, comparing current societal issues too those in past decades etc .

The use of phrases with derogatory connotations in a generic sense is simply context dependant, It my case and where i grew up it was slang used as a phrase, and only that. I could list many examples of what it was used for when responding to someone or ripping into someone etc

I grew up using this term, Iv said it plenty of times and so have people around me. The majority of people, including myself- if not all people, would not harbor any homophobic views or exhibit any discriminatory behaviour towards the LGBTQ community. These views are not manifested during the life span to be ultimately used later in the persons life.

The meaning of words is context dependant and words only have the power that you give them. Offence is taken, not given. Everything is taken in such a disparaging way and people are becoming offended on behalf of someone else like this chart DJ is doing. Its the intent that surrounds the use of any word or phrase. The sporadic outrage for silly things like this is not helping societal issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Sonics2k wrote: »

The recent controversy was sparked by an article criticising the lyrics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭emptyhouse2222

It was christmas eve babe

Advertisement