Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fairytale of New York?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

in the drunk tank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭emptyhouse2222

in the drunk tank

An old man said to me

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

in the drunk tank

Drunk tank is actually an offensive terms and punches down on those with substance abuse issues.

If you could replace 'drunk tank' with 'holistic, non-judgemental recovery centre', that would be super.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

The recent controversy was sparked by an article criticising the lyrics.

Yup, the exact same article is published year on year.

As usual, it's nothing more than fabricated drama created by both sides of the fence.

Left wing papers: "We need to talk about the problematic lyrics of Fairytale of New York"

Right wing papers: "Leftists seek to censor art in Fairytale of New York"

It's just clicks, a quick way to get people on their site to they can make money off of it.

Here's the honest truth. The word has pretty much always been censored on day time radio, just like you'd find with any other swear word.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Which stand up comedian said he never used the word fagot(intentionally misspelled) to slate gay people, only ever when people acted like fagots? He was spot on.

Louis CK

• Advertisement

An old man said to me
    Wont see another one

Wont see another one

And then he sang a song

Wont see another one

'See' is actually ablest as it excludes the blind. Could you do better please?
    And then he sang a song

Likewise with those among us who are non-verbal.

This is all very problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Sonics2k wrote:
    As usual, it's nothing more than fabricated drama created by both sides of the fence.

Sonics2k wrote:
    Yup, the exact same article is published year on year.

Except we've seen songs pulled from radio stations because a few idiots don't like it. You can dismiss it as nothing of course, after all the self-appointed moral guardians failed on this occasion. They'll come back again though, and eventually they'll get their wish. So the articles will be printed until they finally get their way, like a spoilt child.

The people who think it's some sort of overplayed storm are the ones who want it censored. They'll want to downplay it as much as possible.

So no, it's not a fabricated drama.

And then he sang a song
    The rare old mountain tune

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

When I was a child that word was commonly used as a term of endearment for a mischevious child

It came from the same word used for the small sticks used as kindling

I always assumed that was why the word was in the song - to describe someone as immature or needing minding like a small child

• Registered Users Posts: 21,204 ✭✭✭✭Water John

'Babe it's cold outside', is not played on Christmas FM. Removed in 2017.

Don't touch 'Fairytale'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

All Christmas songs should be banned - they all celebrate an event that suggests women can get pregnant without having sex.

Such baloney.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,204 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well they can. Now with womb transfer, men can too.

All Christmas songs should be banned - they all celebrate an event that suggests women can get pregnant without having sex.

Such baloney.

Excellent point and we all know that Mary didn't consent either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

'be it done unto me according to thy word'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Back in 1988 oul Shane wrought a song of pure magic. When his co singer sang that line about a cheap lousy ******, she was obviously calling him a Pork meat ball. FACT! Why the feckin fuss? ******s taste great and Mr Brains makes a decent ******. Overall they taste ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Just stemming from a post in the McGregor thread. Is it just a matter of time until the above song is edited as it is now offensive? I know ronan keating covered it a few years ago and changed the word.

Your man McDermott from 2FM says he recenty had a conversation with 2 gay male colleagues.

https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/music/3482631/rte-eoghan-mcdermott-fairytale-of-new-york-censored/

I think these people need to grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Holy crap! Boards has censored the word itself! Facebook got fooked over about that a few years ago. It's a brand and cooking style folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

People can sing Njgger bit not Fagjot??? Sing about riding and shooting up birtches cribs???

Fujck right off!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Such baloney.

Ah come on. She was begging for it!!!
    2e84f15e374a19fdc87fe7041c1ea903--blessed-virgin-mary-holy-mary.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

McDermott said he asked two gay members of his team who disliked the use of the word f***** in the song by The Pogues, and that one favoured censoring it, and another didn't want to play it at all.

1. Asked them what?....bad journalism (it is The Sun so....)

2.....another didn't want to play it at all.
    There you go! That's the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭John Sacrimoni

Fàggot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

The rare old mountain tune

don't worry its not jew ,its dew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

mountain-jew_o_2890111.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

https://m.independent.ie/entertainment/music/ed-power-time-has-come-to-relocate-fairytale-of-new-york-to-that-dark-room-reserved-for-things-that-were-once-acceptable-but-no-longer-are-37606629.html

What a condescending git.

Also, there was 30-plus years to get offended to this extent - why only now?

Such a disingenuous bandwagon. Same with folk who had 28 years to get offended by Apu in The Simpsons but didn't even think about it until someone said to.

I understand gay men finding the term horrible to listen to, and wanting just the word blanked out - but it's the people who aren't gay, didn't care about the word in that song for years, and are now suddenly bothered by it who I find pathetic.

I love too how rap with horrendously violence-glorifying and misogynistic content, while not gonna get played on the radio, is otherwise ok because it's "hip hop culture".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Wouldn't it be easier just to ban Santa Claus!

After all it's just lies that ye're telling the children!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

Life is not all sunshine and lollipops :mad: kids nowadays can't handle crap.

Fairytale of New York is the best Christmas song ever
    "We all could of been someone" 99% of people think this way every second

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

https://m.independent.ie/entertainment/music/ed-power-time-has-come-to-relocate-fairytale-of-new-york-to-that-dark-room-reserved-for-things-that-were-once-acceptable-but-no-longer-are-37606629.html

What a condescending git.

Also, there was 30-plus years to get offended to this extent - why only now?

Such a disingenuous bandwagon. Same with folk who had 28 years to get offended by Apu in The Simpsons but didn't even think about it until someone said to.

I don't mind gay men finding the term horrible to listen to - but it's the people who aren't gay, didn't care about the word in that song for years, and are now suddenly bothered by it who I find pathetic.

I love too how rap with horrendously violence-glorifying and misogynistic content, while not gonna get played on the radio, is otherwise ok because it's "hip hop culture".

The should put this Ed Power guy, McDermott and the 2 gay lads at 2FM who don't like the song on a boat with a bottle of dirty water between them and set them adrift in The Irish sea.

Then they won't have to listen to the song and we won't have to listen to their whinging.

Advertisement