Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fairytale of New York?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I think they should ban Last Christmas. “I gave you my heart but the very next day you gave it away”. It’s insensitive to those awaiting heart transplants.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

A good heart these days is hard to find

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I hate this song with an inherent passion. It literally fills me with rage.
    I mostly managed to avoid this "song" in previous years, but this year they've put Christmas radio on in the office, and now I hate it with a passion too. I'm not really offended by the content, not even the way it seems to celebrate substance abuse and skangerish behaviour. No, I hate it because it's a crappy song all round. The words are doggerel, the singers' voices are harsh, the music is hackneyed cliche straight out of some Dublin tourist trap. :mad:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

bnt wrote: »
    I mostly managed to avoid this "song" in previous years, but this year they've put Christmas radio on in the office, and now I hate it with a passion too. I'm not really offended by the content, not even the way it seems to celebrate substance abuse and skangerish behaviour. No, I hate it because it's a crappy song all round. The words are doggerel, the singers' voices are harsh, the music is hackneyed cliche straight out of some Dublin tourist trap. :mad:

Isn't it based in New York ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Meta-offence is the new offence.

Whereas people used to talk about things that were actually outrageous, now we're being outraged by people's outrage. Outrage is outrageous.

It's a bit like Gogglebox really; we're being entertained by watching other people being entertained.

Which is all nice and convenient for the elites of course, since while people are going crazy over something absolutely minor that some nobody has said online, they can do serious things like abuse human rights and invade countries.

And rather than talk about the actual things that are happening, people are arguing over the fact that someone said something about it that they disagree with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

I mostly managed to avoid this "song" in previous years, but this year they've put Christmas radio on in the office, and now I hate it with a passion too. I'm not really offended by the content, not even the way it seems to celebrate substance abuse and skangerish behaviour.

It doesn't "celebrate" substance abuse -- quite the opposite, in fact. It shows how a couple's lives have been crushed by alcoholism and drug addiction, leading to lost youth and ruined dreams.

Let’s just say it’s not something you’d sing at your wedding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I think they should ban Last Christmas. “I gave you my heart but the very next day you gave it away”. It’s insensitive to those awaiting heart transplants.

Ive always wondered why this group of people meet every year for Christmas. And why wait a year to give your heart away to someone special? You could get up a partner at any time in the year and bring him or her to the Christmas meetup and say “screw you and your dumping me one day after we got together, I’ve got a new lover now so there! (and I’m not weird thinking about this for a year)”.

Plus how does he know there will even be someone special at the party? It’s a big risk.

Because this is confusing I think Last Christmas should be banned.

Let’s just say it’s not something you’d sing at your wedding.

Or any Christmas song.

That’s the incorrect opinion on a great song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,531 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

You misquoted the song there. It should be “I gev you my heart but the very next day you gev it away”.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Any thoughts on Ronan Keating’s version then? A vast improvement?

I dunno how anyone can get so upset about a song.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

https://m.independent.ie/entertainment/music/ed-power-time-has-come-to-relocate-fairytale-of-new-york-to-that-dark-room-reserved-for-things-that-were-once-acceptable-but-no-longer-are-37606629.html

What a condescending git.

Also, there was 30-plus years to get offended to this extent - why only now?

Such a disingenuous bandwagon. Same with folk who had 28 years to get offended by Apu in The Simpsons but didn't even think about it until someone said to.

I understand gay men finding the term horrible to listen to, and wanting just the word blanked out - but it's the people who aren't gay, didn't care about the word in that song for years, and are now suddenly bothered by it who I find pathetic.

I love too how rap with horrendously violence-glorifying and misogynistic content, while not gonna get played on the radio, is otherwise ok because it's "hip hop culture".

The same as where an ad, or TV show might get half a dozen complants, this fact gets publicised a week later, now it has 100+ complants.

Its now become that people want you to be offended, even where there is nothing to be offended about.

Thing that I don’t get is the use of the word ****** when she is referring to her partner or ex partner. How can she be calling him a homosexual?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

I can see why gay people would be offended by this and would have no issue with the word being beeped out

*shrugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I can see why gay people would be offended by this and would have no issue with the word being beeped out
    Are we going to also beep out the N word in every film and song it appears in? For me the beep it's childish stuff and effects what is by far and away the greatest Christmas song ever

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Being played on Xmas FM as we speak, and not sensored. Lets hope they get some cop on, and now unban Its Cold Outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭valoren

If you wrote a book and looked to describe a character in it as a low life dick then an author can use swear words, slurs and stereotypes to convey to the reader that this person is a low life dick. Such is the case with FTONY. As McGowan himself points out in his statement. These are not nice people. They are portrayed as low life's and the offending words are cherry picked to convey as much. If people are singing this song in a pub and putting particular relish behind the offensive lyrics in question then that is not the fault of the author or in this case lyricist. They completely miss the point of the lyric. As for the song itself, it's a case of familiarity breeding contempt for me. You don't hear it from one end of the year to the other and when it get's initially played you realise how good a song it actually is and then it get's played ad nauseum and you find yourself flinching when you hear the opening bars play. Too much of a good thing in a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Greyfox wrote: »
    Are we going to also beep out the N word in every film and song it appears in? For me the beep it's childish stuff and effects what is by far and away the greatest Christmas song ever

We do beep the N word in songs played before the watershed. And most radio stations already censor this F word in Fairytale of New York before the watershed, it's been happening for decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭bnt

sightband wrote: »
    Upset might be overstating it, but show me someone who never gets a bit annoyed at anything, and I'll show you someone who doesn't care. I care about music, and I'm certainly not going to apologise for that. :rolleyes:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

It's funny how people always go after "Fairytale of New York" when Dire Straits' Grammy-winning "Money for Nothing" contains the word faggot not once, but three times.

It's not about the song. It's about the censorship of artistic expression.

The controversy has been ongoing for years. It’s not a new thing.

The song attracted attention from the start due to some of the language used in its second verse, where MacGowan's character refers to MacColl's character as "an old slut on junk" (heroin), and MacColl responds with a tirade that includes the words "******" and "arse".

When the song was performed on Top of the Pops on its initial release, it was customary for acts to mime to the studio track. The BBC insisted that MacColl's singing of "arse" be replaced with the less offensive "ass", (although as she mimed the word, MacColl slapped the relevant part of her body). The subsequent pronunciation of "last" was also changed to rhyme.

Upon the song's 1991 release, MacColl changed the lyrics further during a live performance on Top of the Pops in January 1992 to, "You're cheap and you're haggard."

When Katie Melua performed the song with The Pogues on CD:UK in December 2005, ITV censored her singing the word "arse", yet left in "******" despite the word being generally deemed more offensive by this time.

BBC Radio 1 reverses "******" ruling hours after initial ban
    On 18 December 2007, BBC Radio 1 edited the words "******" and "slut" from the track to "avoid offence". MacColl's mother, Jean, called the ban "too ridiculous", while The Pogues said they found it "amusing." The BBC said, "We are playing an edited version because some members of the audience might find it offensive".[16] Later that evening Radio 1 backed down and said that after a day of criticism from listeners, the band, and MacColl's mother, they had reversed the decision.[17] The unedited version was then played later on that day. Other BBC radio stations, including the traditionally more conservative Radio 2, had continued to play the original version throughout this period, the ban having applied to Radio 1 only. The MTV channels in the UK also removed and scrambled the words "slut", "******" and "arse" from the song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Thing that I don’t get is the use of the word ****** when she is referring to her partner or ex partner. How can she be calling him a homosexual?
    The word is often thrown at heterosexual men as an insult. Like "pussy".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

If we're calling for censorship on the N word in movies following on from this, then please be aware that every Quentin Tarantino film will now only be 32 minutes long.
    I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, I'm just saying to be aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

The N-word is beeped on the radio or on the music TV channels a lot. And I've heard censored versions of Fairytale as well. Having said that, I think Shane McGowan's explanation made sense.

The word is often thrown at heterosexual men as an insult. Like "pussy".

Yes, between men usually. Not between couples or ex couples to one another in my opinion. It sounds daft. Calling someone a pussy is not comparable, that suggests someone weak or cowardly.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

I don't know.
    I'm commenting on the topic of thread not engaging in whataboutery

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Indeed.

Advertisement