Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fairytale of New York?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Louise O Neill was complaining about that last year saying it promoted rape. I'm sure she'll find something new to get offended about this Christmas.

She's such a hypocritical twit , claims Tupac is her "woke bae" despite being a convicted abuser (against her shilling of "rape culture" nonsense) and
    her fondance of Weeknd in an interview "I can't stop listening to The Weeknd right now. The lyrics are horribly misogynistic but I find the album ridiculously sexy. My head and my heart are feminist. My vagina? Not so much." (https://www.image.ie/life/women-we-love-40-questions-with-writer-louise-oneill-40443 - few more of her hypocrisies in here)...I'm sure she'll find something wrong with Band Aid or Walking in the air

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

For now.

anna080 wrote: »
    I hate this song with an inherent passion. It literally fills me with rage.

The original song was terrific if you can remove the following 30 years of drunken butchering, sober butchering (from the likes of Ronan Keating and Ed Sheeran) and overplaying it has received. I absolutely see where you are coming from though.

I actually like the Pogues and Kirsty but this song has been completely flogged way beyond novelty

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is it blasphemous to say you don't like it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

fryup wrote: »
    is it blasphemous to say you don't like it ?

Nah its the new cool thing to say!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

"My head and my heart are feminist. My vagina? Not so much."
    Indeed TD. And active "male feminists" hoping to "fit in" should take note. The daft bint has just promoted the kernel of the "Red Pill" eejit's bible. :pac:

the-irony-here-is-delicious.jpg

Though as I've noted before, the first casualty of the Right On types of all stripes is irony. And self awareness. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,793 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The original song was terrific if you can remove the following 30 years of drunken butchering, sober butchering (from the likes of Ronan Keating and Ed Sheeran) and overplaying it has received. I absolutely see where you are coming from though.

I actually like the Pogues and Kirsty but this song has been completely flogged way beyond novelty

Shane MacGowan likes the Keating and Sheeran covers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I remember American cousins visiting back in 1983 and my 17 year old cousin thought that Frankie goes to Hollywood's Relax was the best song she ever heard, so she bought the single and stuck it on one evening when everyone was gathered around.

'Come come come, when you wanna come..'

I remember the adults looking at each other not knowing how to take it, but seemed to accept it as there could be no way it could be referring to ejaculation. I know that my cousin didn't realise the reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Just stemming from a post in the McGregor thread. Is it just a matter of time until the above song is edited as it is now offensive? I know ronan keating covered it a few years ago and changed the word.

**** off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

She's such a hypocritical twit , claims Tupac is her "woke bae" despite being a convicted abuser (against her shilling of "rape culture" nonsense) and
    her fondance of Weeknd in an interview "I can't stop listening to The Weeknd right now. The lyrics are horribly misogynistic but I find the album ridiculously sexy. My head and my heart are feminist. My vagina? Not so much." (https://www.image.ie/life/women-we-love-40-questions-with-writer-louise-oneill-40443 - few more of her hypocrisies in here)...I'm sure she'll find something wrong with Band Aid or Walking in the air

Nothing wrong with Walking in the Air but I have gotten pretty sick of "Do They Know It's Christmas" over the years. It feels like a song version of rich kids who spend two weeks volunteering in Tanzania so they can take some selfies and look compassionate.

It's supposed to be helping poorer African countries (and to be fair, I'm sure it raised a good bit of money in the 80s when it came out to help with the famine in Ethiopia) but instead just makes them sound like nightmarish hell-holes that nobody should ever go to. I know I grew up with this simplistic misleading idea of the entire continent being a place where basically nothing good ever happens, and a song every year telling me it's a place where nothing ever grows and no rain or rivers flow probably contributed to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

He is often misquoted as saying such. Tricky for journos you have to concede.

What in fact he said was "At the end of every financial quarter, I love watching the covers of the royalty chequebooks swinging open and the pen putting down all those zeros and making it out to me. If the divil himself wants to cover it I'll send him on the sheet music".

• Registered Users Posts: 60,437 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Of course he does as the more they sell and the more air play they get the more money he makes.

Bless him he is only trying to be nice. Both versions are shíte. Not saying anything about the singers themselves but i think the original tells a real authentic story and the chemistry and dialogue between Shane and Kirsty comes across.

I would see where Anna is coming from when she says she hates it. Its lost value with the amount of clowns you see trying to sing it at 2 in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I just can't listen to it, played to death and then hearing people say 'oh its the greatest Christmas song ever, blah, blah, blah..'.
    For some it is maybe, but I would be happy if I never heard it played ever again.

RobertKK wrote: »
    I just can't listen to it, played to death and then hearing people say 'oh its the greatest Christmas song ever, blah, blah, blah..'.
    For some it is maybe, but I would be happy if I never heard it played ever again.

If you can see the song in isolation you have greater appreciation for it. However you have what is primarily a bandwagon of cheerleaders crowing about it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭893bet

topper75 wrote: »
    He is often misquoted as saying such. Tricky for journos you have to concede.

What in fact he said was "At the end of every financial quarter, I love watching the covers of the royalty chequebooks swinging open and the pen putting down all those zeros and making it out to me. If the divil himself wants to cover it I'll send him on the sheet music".

So.......your saying there is a chance..........I knew it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

**** off.

Have you anything further to add to that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Who?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o48Le3TBppo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

It shouldn't be edited because it would no longer be authentic. It's how the character in the song spoke. Characters in films and tv use pejoratives and nobody takes it out of context.

I saw a program about the song where NYPD were saying they really liked that a song was representing the police in a friendly way for once.

of course he does, more drinking money for him

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    of course he does, more drinking money for him

MacGowan hasn't drank for months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

seamus wrote: »
    And you're a bum, you're a punk. You're an aul hoor on junk.

Lying der on de drip, nearly dead in de bed....

Ye scumbag, ye maggot. Ye cheap, lousy ******. Happy Christmas me arse, oh I'd rather be dead.

And de buys from de enn-why-pee-dee choir were singin'. Galway Baayy.....

NYPD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

danganabu wrote: »
    MacGowan hasn't drank for months

what are you on about? he's constantly drunk just like Fr Jack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

• Registered Users Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Just stemming from a post in the McGregor thread. Is it just a matter of time until the above song is edited as it is now offensive? I know ronan keating covered it a few years ago and changed the word.

The ronan keating version is offensive allright.

i wonder is he seeing visions of pints of guinness ala Fr Jack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

RTE 1 now.

Advertisement