Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Not a great look for the Challenge Cup when one of Harlequins’ main players is a pundit on the game instead of playing despite not being injured..

Not great for the viewer either, plenty of “the boys done good” win, lose, or draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Not a great look for the Challenge Cup when one of Harlequins’ main players is a pundit on the game instead of playing despite not being injured..

Was wondering what that was about alright

• Subscribers Posts: 41,138 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

strong rumours rassie is heading to the premiership

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Pretty sure he stated during the coverage that he was injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

bilston wrote: »
    Pretty sure he stated during the coverage that he was injured.

You mean when he laughed and sarcastically said he had a niggle?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

You mean when he laughed and sarcastically said he had a niggle?

Heard it live - It was in response to a question from the commentator along the lines of "Danny , you had a choice this week to either play the game and be on the receiving end of a thumping , or choose to be up here with us , are you glad you made that choice?"

He responded after a slight snigger - "Well , actually I had a bit of niggle earlier in the week so I wasn't available for selection"

"Niggle" indeed.

10 week ban for Agens taulagi after his high shot on Trevisos zanon.

5 weeks for TJ Ioane

3 weeks for the London Irish prop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

yerrahbah wrote: »

Look at De Klerk's left leg there. That could have been catastrophic, never mind the cheap hit to the head and obvious red card. Awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

yerrahbah wrote: »
    And Jake Ball got nothing for this

At first look, that's awful.

But I just can't bring myself to agree with Andy Goode, so it's clearly a legit cleanout, play on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

At first look, that's awful.

But I just can't bring myself to agree with Andy Goode, so it's clearly a legit cleanout, play on.

Even a broken clock...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭nerd69

Anyone know what the dealio is with the demented mole podcast? Have they packed it in completely

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Sean O'Brien lasted a solid 3 minutes on the pitch for London Irish before having to be strapped up with what looks like a broken finger or two.

He must be made of glass at this point, it's a shame to see

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Arnold54321

Sean O'Brien lasted a solid 3 minutes on the pitch for London Irish before having to be strapped up with what looks like a broken finger or two.

He must be made of glass at this point, it's a shame to see

Rumoured to be on €420,000 per year with Irish. Nice money if you can get it.

Mad how any club would throw serious cash at such an injury prone player.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

ROG is doing well but I find him very arrogant when he speaks.

He loves to namecheck these acronyms and things as if he wants everyone to admire him for being a revolutionary or something.

Obvious example is the KBA thing...Keep Ball Alive

He goes to NZ and thinks keeping the ball alive is a new concept in the NH.

Same thing a few years ago when he was doing punditry not long after going to France.."there's a saying in France where they say Jouer Jouer", you'd swear h was giving us some real inside info.

He'll end up at Munster but he knows Munster and then Ireland is the end game so he'll make sure it's one of his last coaching gigs. Once he comes back to Ireland, he'll not be going abroad again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Pussyhands wrote: »

He loves to namecheck these acronyms and things as if he wants everyone to admire him for being a revolutionary or something.

Same thing a few years ago when he was doing punditry not long after going to France.."there's a saying in France where they say Jouer Jouer", you'd swear h was giving us some real inside info.

He'll end up at Munster but he knows Munster and then Ireland is the end game so he'll make sure it's one of his last coaching gigs. Once he comes back to Ireland, he'll not be going abroad again.

Wouldn't mind him coaching Leinster, be nice to see what he could do with a talented squad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Wouldn't mind him coaching Leinster, be nice to see what he could do with a talented squad

More chance of Deccie coming back to coach ye

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Sure, what does he know about rugby.:rolleyes:

I would have lots of words to describe ROG in rugby

Arrogant is probably least used word

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Hate it when posters use acronyms. Obvious example is the NZ thing...New Zealand or the NH thing...Northern Hemisphere. So arrogant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Hate it when posters use acronyms. Obvious example is the NZ thing...New Zealand or the NH thing...Northern Hemisphere. So arrogant.

FO swiwi.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/new-eligibility-laws-could-prevent-folau-fakatava-from-playing-for-the-all-blacks-upon-return-from-injury/

Anyone else see this article from rugby pass?

Surely they have gotten the residency rules skew ways if, by their thinking, it's dependent on making your debut before the 31st Dec 2021?

If the three years residency was fulfilled with 2021, doesn't that make you eligible for selection.... And not dependent on selection?..

Or have I got it arseways

For example, does pierre schoeman, who is eligible for Scotland now, lose his eligibility if he's not selected for a game this year??.

Seems like a crazy situation if true

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

sydthebeat wrote: »
    https://www.rugbypass.com/news/new-eligibility-laws-could-prevent-folau-fakatava-from-playing-for-the-all-blacks-upon-return-from-injury/

Anyone else see this article from rugby pass?

Surely they have gotten the residency rules skew ways if, by their thinking, it's dependent on making your debut before the 31st Dec 2021?

If the three years residency was fulfilled with 2021, doesn't that make you eligible for selection.... And not dependent on selection?..

Or have I got it arseways

For example, does pierre schoeman, who is eligible for Scotland now, lose his eligibility if he's not selected for a game this year??.

Seems like a crazy situation if true

Yeah it's a bit mad, this was the statement that world rugby said at the time:

"The Executive Committee also confirmed that a player must meet both the 36 months residency requirement and have represented the union on or before 31 December, 2021, otherwise the player will fall under the 60-month rule"

So basically yeah if you're not capped before the end of the year you go to the 60 month rule instead.

thanks, so yeah... seems like a mad condition to put into it.

keenan knox falls under this as well as far as i know. i wonder will we see him brought on any potential summer tour because of it? even with only 13 munster appearance ????

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Yeah it's a bit mad, this was the statement that world rugby said at the time:

"The Executive Committee also confirmed that a player must meet both the 36 months residency requirement and have represented the union on or before 31 December, 2021, otherwise the player will fall under the 60-month rule"

So basically yeah if you're not capped before the end of the year you go to the 60 month rule instead.

It's a bit odd , but given that the date has been moved back 18+ months from the date that was originally announced (Was supposed to cut in in May 2020) , how many players that would have started the 3 year countdown before the original change was announced are possibly going to be impacted here?

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    It's a bit odd , but given that the date has been moved back 18+ months from the date that was originally announced (Was supposed to cut in in May 2020) , how many players that would have started the 3 year countdown before the original change was announced are possibly going to be impacted here?

so if im understanding you correctly, do you mean that this hits in for any plyer signed after the "five year rule" kicked in ... but were given 18 months grace to fall under the previous regime?

or does this effect every single player signed under the "3 year rule" but simply not capped yet?? ie fakatava, knox, schoeman etc

thanks, so yeah... seems like a mad condition to put into it.

keenan knox falls under this as well as far as i know. i wonder will we see him brought on any potential summer tour because of it? even with only 13 munster appearance ????

I doubt it - He moved here in December 2017 when he was already over 18 (he's 22 this month) so he's already here 3 and a half years. Even with the new 5 year rule , he's only got ~18 months left.

He can use that time to establish himself as a starter in Munster.

• Advertisement

so if im understanding you correctly, do you mean that this hits in for any plyer signed after the "five year rule" kicked in ... but were given 18 months grace to fall under the previous regime?

or does this effect every single player signed under the "3 year rule" but simply not capped yet?? ie fakatava, knox, schoeman etc

As I read it - Any player capped before December 2021 must have completed 3 years of residency prior to being capped , beginning after the age of 18 unless their entire family actually emigrated to the new country at an earlier date - In the Fakatava case , they aren't counting the time in NZ Boarding school because his family still lived in Tonga so his "permanent residence" was considered Tonga as a result so the clock didn't start until he turned 18.

Anyone capped on or after January 1st 2022 must have completed 5 years of Residency as per the above rules.

My point was that if you moved to a new country with a view to qualifying to play for them anytime after the change was announced in 2017 , you knew that the change was coming in 2020.

So anyone signing with an expectation of qualifying under the 3 year rule should have already been here since late 2017 at the very latest, and if not capped by now should know that the 5 year rule now applies.

This new announcement doesn't change the rules - That how it was supposed to apply if it was activated last year , so I guess what I'm saying is that it's hard to have sympathy if they are complaining about just missing out on a date that only exists because of the Pandemic.

Schoeman for example signed for Edinburgh in 2018 which means he was signing knowing that he was going to have to complete the 5 year window as under the original ruling he would only have ~2 years done when the change occurred.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement