Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Cronan Gleeson. lower levels but played pro in England, France, Ireland, Australia, Spain and America.
    Stade Montois, Newcastle Falcons, San Diego Legion, Getxo, Munster

I had a few mates who played a bit of NPC rugby back in NZ and then spent most of their 20s whoring themselves out to semi-pro clubs around the world. They'd get anywhere from a few hundred to a couple of grand a week, accommodation and a car. Great way to travel around.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I had a few mates who played a bit of NPC rugby back in NZ and then spent most of their 20s whoring themselves out to semi-pro clubs around the world. They'd get anywhere from a few hundred to a couple of grand a week, accommodation and a car. Great way to travel around.

Was just gonna say, there are definitely a few amateur/semi pros who have done similar numbers or better than any of the pros! Makes me wish I was a better player!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Best team of Irish players playing outside Ireland at teh moment?

1. Conan O'Donnell
    2. Bryan Byrne
    3. Oisín Heffernan
    4. Donnacha Ryan
    5. Jack Regan
    7. Sean O'Brien
    9. Jack Stafford (how's he getting on at Quims?)
    10. Paddy Jackson
    12. Stuart Olding
    13. Ian Whitten
    14. Niyi Adeolokun
    15. Simon Zebo

17. Peter McCabe
    19. Darren O'Shea
    21. Stephen Kerins
    22. Ian Keatley
    23. Noel Reid

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Best team of Irish players playing outside Ireland at teh moment?

1. Conan O'Donnell
    2. Bryan Byrne
    3. Oisín Heffernan
    4. Donnacha Ryan
    5. Jack Regan
    7. Sean O'Brien
    9. Jack Stafford (how's he getting on at Quims?)
    10. Paddy Jackson
    12. Stuart Olding
    13. Ian Whitten
    14. Niyi Adeolokun
    15. Simon Zebo

17. Peter McCabe
    19. Darren O'Shea
    21. Stephen Kerins
    22. Ian Keatley
    23. Noel Reid

Move Zebo to the left wing and Kearney at full back. Think Paddy Butler is still playing in Japan could take one of the back row spots?

Edit: presume Robin Copeland is still playing in France too?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Stafford hasn't played at all for Quins seniors since he signed, he's listed under the academy squad on their site which is a bit strange considering he's 24 now.

James Hart is still starting games for Biarritz so would have him in the mix. Dave O'Callaghan has started for them at 6 as well for a few games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

Wayne Barnes explains head on head contact

https://youtu.be/fcqcZB3fNuA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

MaybeMaybe wrote: »
    Wayne Barnes explains head on head contact

https://youtu.be/fcqcZB3fNuA

That is one of the weirdest rugby related videos I have ever watched :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    That is one of the weirdest rugby related videos I have ever watched :D

And yet informative and easy to follow. I had already seen his wife ripping the piss out of the videos on Twitter so knew what to expect before watching, but it was still very strange.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

molloyjh wrote: »
    And yet informative and easy to follow. I had already seen his wife ripping the piss out of the videos on Twitter so knew what to expect before watching, but it was still very strange.

Saw this as well, brilliant:

https://twitter.com/pollybarnes_/status/1354890402797670405

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Kearney with some great positioning as always to make a couple of critical tackles for the force, great to see him still playing well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Kearney with some great positioning as always to make a couple of critical tackles for the force, great to see him still playing well.

Commentators speaking very highly of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

And just put in a 50-22 kick.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

hahashake wrote: »
    Playing in Russia must be the biggest culture shock. Japan might be culturally more different than the West but the rugby culture in Russia...I can't even imagine what that is like.

Getting paid in a suitcase by Russian gangster, would certainly make it the most diverse experience.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sean Dougall if you're really stuck for a flanker. Maybe Steenson at 10, or AJ if he counts as Irish. Dave Foley at lock?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,337 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

NI clubs possibly resuming training from the 12th April. In small groups of up to 15 people. Could be practising lineouts/scrums, I suppose.

https://www.ulsterrugby.com/2021/03/ulster-rugby-statement-covid-19-restrictions-update-for-ni-clubs/

Genuinely think there is perhaps the most parity in world rugby for a long time. No team stands out right now, SA might be number one and world champs but they lost a pool game and were ran close by the Welsh in the semi, then haven't played since. NZ are not in a purple patch, France and England overrated, Wales and Ireland hard to gauge (Wales lucky and Ireland a mixed bag). Scotland and Argentina better than they have been in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,749 ✭✭✭✭bilston

hahashake wrote: »
    Genuinely think there is perhaps the most parity in world rugby for a long time. No team stands out right now, SA might be number one and world champs but they lost a pool game and were ran close by the Welsh in the semi, then haven't played since. NZ are not in a purple patch, France and England overrated, Wales and Ireland hard to gauge (Wales lucky and Ireland a mixed bag). Scotland and Argentina better than they have been in the past.

Mad to think that we are almost halfway through a WC cycle and SA haven't played a single test match since winning the WC.

I'm trying to think back to the Rugby Championship, but am I right in thinking that Australia have some decent youngsters emerging?

bilston wrote: »
    Mad to think that we are almost halfway through a WC cycle and SA haven't played a single test match since winning the WC.

I'm trying to think back to the Rugby Championship, but am I right in thinking that Australia have some decent youngsters emerging?

Forgot Oz but yes, I think they are a dark horse with Rennie in charge and very talented youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

NZ are ****e now, haven’t won a game in ages

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

NZ are ****e now, haven’t won a game in ages

If you compare what we've seen in Super Rugby in Australia and NZ it is clear that NZ standard is some way ahead of its Australian counterpart.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,045 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

So Fickou has signed for racing92 after all

• Registered Users Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The Guardian, Telegraph and Daily Mail are all going hard on a story about the RFU considering sacking Eddie Jones. I'd be very surprised if that happens, but I don't think they'd all report the same story without there be some element of truth to it.

• Administrators Posts: 53,393 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Clegg wrote: »
    The Guardian, Telegraph and Daily Mail are all going hard on a story about the RFU considering sacking Eddie Jones. I'd be very surprised if that happens, but I don't think they'd all report the same story without there be some element of truth to it.

I wouldn't be surprised at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

vs Scotland - dire
    vs Italy - irrelevant
    vs Wales - screwed over by two questionable Welsh tries but faded badly in the last 20 at 16-16
    vs France - excellent
    vs Ireland - dire

It wouldn't surprise me either. The policy of retaining the Saracens players despite them looking off the pace reflects poorly on EJ in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I wouldn't be surprised at all.

As soon as Eddie lost the RWC final he was going to come under fire for any losses, anything other than a win wasn't going to keep the English press and the fans at bay. Combine that with their worst 6 Nations finish in terms of points conceded and the first time they've lost against the three home nations since 1976, and it was always going to be the topic.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

vs Scotland - dire
    vs Italy - irrelevant
    vs Wales - screwed over by two questionable Welsh tries but faded badly in the last 20 at 16-16
    vs France - excellent
    vs Ireland - dire

It wouldn't surprise me either. The policy of retaining the Saracens players despite them looking off the pace reflects poorly on EJ in particular.

I think this is central to their issues.

Those guys have all clearly been well off the pace both mentally and physically.

Yet Jones persisted with them based purely on reputation and the need for them to get meaningful games before their anointed selection for the Lions.

Both plans have backfired badly I think as on form current only Itoje is close to deserving a seat on the plane , let alone a Test place.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,045 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

his outright refusal to look at players like sam simmonds has also hurt his reputation... he comes across as incredibly dictatorial.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

It was the first thing brought up on ITV's post match studio analysis anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

Nigel Owens was on Scrum5 suggesting that yellow cards to Wales were inappropriate

Disgraceful stuff from a man who just wants to stay in the public eye.

Hopefully refereeing body will have something to say about this.

• Advertisement

Pelezico wrote: »
    Nigel Owens was on Scrum5 suggesting that yellow cards to Wales were inappropriate

Disgraceful stuff from a man who just wants to stay in the public eye.

Hopefully refereeing body will have something to say about this.

Given he's retired from international refereeing as of December '20 he can say what he wants about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement