Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,308 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Any player capped before December 2021 must have completed 3 years of residency prior to being capped

i guess my question is...... someone who complied with the 3 year residency rule..... lets take Knox for example.
    as hes met the 3 year rule before the extension was applied, hes available for selection yes?
    or is he not eligible for selection due to the fact hes not capped yet... and he has to wait another 18 months?

so essentially ... any player who complied with the 3 year residency by May 2020 and not capped... do they have to wait until they are 5 year residence before they are eligible? because id imagine there s quite a few players who were signed on the 3 year basis who are not capped yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

sydthebeat wrote: »
    i guess my question is...... someone who complied with the 3 year residency rule..... lets take Knox for example.
    as hes met the 3 year rule before the extension was applied, hes available for selection yes?
    or is he not eligible for selection due to the fact hes not capped yet... and he has to wait another 18 months?

so essentially ... any player who complied with the 3 year residency by May 2020 and not capped... do they have to wait until they are 5 year residence before they are eligible? because id imagine there s quite a few players who were signed on the 3 year basis who are not capped yet.

If they were compliant with the original deadline of May 2020 then they'd only have to wait a couple more months to become eligible because the new rule change doesn't come into effect until the end of 2021, but yeah there's no mention of what would happen to players outside of the 'grey zone' created by the exemption.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I think it applies to the date of the 1st cap, so in the Knox example - He arrived sometime in December 2017 so he's now technically eligible to be selected for International games, however if he doesn't take the field in a capped international before December 31st 2021, he'll now have to wait until whatever date in December 2022 to be eligible again.

At least that's my interpretation based on what I've read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I think it applies to the date of the 1st cap, so in the Knox example - He arrived sometime in December 2017 so he's now technically eligible to be selected for International games, however if he doesn't take the field in a capped international before December 31st 2021, he'll now have to wait until whatever date in December 2022 to be eligible again.

At least that's my interpretation based on what I've read.
    It couldnt be from when your first cap was. You are eligible from the first date that you qualify and if you arrived before the date change you are eligible in 3 years otherwise its 5 years

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It couldnt be from when your first cap was. You are eligible from the first date that you qualify and if you arrived before the date change you are eligible in 3 years otherwise its 5 years

That doesn't appear to be the case based on the article that started this strand of conversation.

• Advertisement

thats what id consider to be reasonable, but not what the article, nor the world rugby statement is leading to.

it essentially seems to say "everyone not capped by the end of the year must show at least 5 years residency before being eligible under residency rules"

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

• Registered Users Posts: 16,989 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Jordan Coughlan is a name I haven't heard in years. I wonder if Leinster did him dirty by trying to convert him from the backrow to centre.

He would've had a hard time establishing himself in a stacked Leinster backrow, but it was at least the position he'd played most if his underage rugby in. We stalled his development in the backrow in a failed attempt to get some power and bulk at 12.

Schmidt had a goo for a big centre when he was Leinster head coach. He also tried with Eamonn Sheridan. 6'4 and 17 stone. Another who couldn't quite make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Clegg wrote: »
    Jordan Coughlan is a name I haven't heard in years. I always wonder if Leinster did him dirty by trying to convert him from the backrow to centre.

He would've had a hard time establishing himself in a stacked Leinster backrow, but it was at least the position he'd played most if his underage rugby in. We stalled his development in the backrow in a failed attempt to get some power and bulk at 12.

I dont think they did at all. It made sense at the time and we possibly should look to do it more. We do overproduce to some extent good backrows when some of these would be better off in other positions and have the transferable skills to succeed in the centre
    Just because you played most of your age grade rugby in a position doesnt mean it should be where you end up

• Registered Users Posts: 24,206 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Clegg wrote: »
    Jordan Coughlan is a name I haven't heard in years. I wonder if Leinster did him dirty by trying to convert him from the backrow to centre.

Schmidt had a goo for a big centre when he was Leinster head coach. He also tried with Eamonn Sheridan. 6'4 and 17 stone. Another who couldn't quite make it.

I think it made sense to an extent. He was never going to make it in Ireland as a back row. He was a great athlete but lacked any real bite. He was in the same U20 team as Conan so wasn't getting the 8 jersey and Leinster already had Heaslip, Ruddock, SOB, Jennings, McLaughlin and Dominic Ryan in the back row.

Whilst I'm not a fan of the switching positions approach, Coughlan simply wasn't gonna get much game time, if any as a back row. I don't think he was gonna make it regardless of the position. He possibly regrets giving up cricket at this point more than switching positions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I was just thinking that today would be a very good day for the Six Nations to announce a Pay TV contract

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Don't you put that juju on us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Knocks the ROG to Munster talk on the head for a couple of years at least....I think VanGran will leave with DeAllende and RG Snyman next seasons end ...so we'll have another coach in before ROG imo

Knocks the ROG to Munster talk on the head for a couple of years at least....I think VanGran will leave with DeAllende and RG Snyman next seasons end ...so we'll have another coach in before ROG imo

I really don't see O'Gara coming to Munster.

He's made very smart, very pragmatic decision regarding his coaching career thus far.

Moving to Munster would be an emotional choice which I don't see him making. Now if he felt that the only way that he could get to the National role is via coaching within the Irish set-up, then maybe. But there's no evidence that that is a pre-requisite at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Is the whole "support the Irish side in a European fixture" thing dead these days?

Based off an interaction I had on the subreddit, I'm curious, who are Irish non-Leinster fans wishing wins next weekend against La Rochelle? Does the ROG connection hold that much weight?

It's still Ireland uber alles for me, bar maybe maybe Clermont, and even then ... No still probably the Irish team 99% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Is the whole "support the Irish side in a European fixture" thing dead these days?

Based off an interaction I had on the subreddit, I'm curious, who are Irish non-Leinster fans wishing wins next weekend against La Rochelle? Does the ROG connection hold that much weight?

It's still Ireland uber alles for me, bar maybe maybe Clermont, and even then ... No still probably the Irish team 99% of the time.

Always supported the Irish teams in Europe and even the P14 too! Especially if it’s against a Welsh side! Standard practice I would have thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Scythica

I'd tend to always support the Irish team playing but I wouldn't lose too much sleep if the other team won

It's fairly easy to semi 'support' the likes of leinster anyway given its basically the Irish team.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I always grumble about the other provinces, but when it comes to the crunch and the ball's kicked off, I unfailingly row in behind them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I will with one exception cheer for the Irish team playing.

There have been rare cases where an Irish province winning adversely effects Leinster in which case I might shout for the opposition.

But other than that I'll always cheer on the provinces

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Most of the Irish posters on that subreddit lack perspective and indulge a host of conspiracy theories on Irish rugby. I would take what they have to say with a grain of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I really don't see O'Gara coming to Munster.

He's made very smart, very pragmatic decision regarding his coaching career thus far.

Moving to Munster would be an emotional choice which I don't see him making. Now if he felt that the only way that he could get to the National role is via coaching within the Irish set-up, then maybe. But there's no evidence that that is a pre-requisite at this stage.

I think he'd be potentially very good for leinster in the future. I'd imagine his philosophy for rugby would be very in line with Leinster's ethos.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I think he'd be potentially very good for leinster in the future. I'd imagine his philosophy for rugby would be very in line with Leinster's ethos.
    And I'd reckon he'd jump at the job too if it came up in a few years time. I think quite a lot Munster fans mistakenly believe that he wants to coach Munster. In reality he'll do what's best for his career. And if that's Leinster over Munster then he'll be a future Leinster coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I'd bet the house he'll coach Munster some day, but he's being very very smart about how he's building his coaching career, not to mention probably has a fantastic lifestyle. He's still young and could do another decade abroad. We have a habit of discarding coaches.

As for the talk of Leinster above.... Nah. His CV is more than good enough but he's ROG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Probably more chance of Brian O'Driscoll walking naked down Grand Parade, singing,
    "By the banks of my own lovely Lee"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Lets play spot the difference

is it.... connacht dont produce their own coaches ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

is it.... connacht dont produce their own coaches ???

Nah its Jackman's reactions to two sides appointing "foreign" coaches.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement