Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,215 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Clegg wrote: »
    The Times says Lima Sopoaga has signed for Wasps for next season.

Fcuk!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Marler has gotten 6 weeks. Will miss the first 2 rounds of the 6Ns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

molloyjh wrote: »
    Marler has gotten 6 weeks. Will miss the first 2 rounds of the 6Ns.

Didn't realise that that's his 3rd misdemeanor this season...so having "previous" doesn't (in actuality) seem to influence the ban a player gets.
    Daft.

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/club-rugby/joe-marler-england-six-nations-italy-wales-suspension-six-week-ban-red-card-a8150496.html%3famp

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

kuang1 wrote: »
    Didn't realise that that's his 3rd misdemeanor this season...so having "previous" doesn't (in actuality) seem to influence the ban a player gets.
    Daft.

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/club-rugby/joe-marler-england-six-nations-italy-wales-suspension-six-week-ban-red-card-a8150496.html%3famp

Healy just got a week added on to his ban a few weeks ago for having previous. Hartley last season.

Healy just got a week added on to his ban a few weeks ago for having previous. Hartley last season.

Yeah. Not much of a deterrent really is it?
    Needs to change rapidly imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

kuang1 wrote: »
    Daft.

It did, it earned him an extra week.

And, you often see guys getting 50% reduction in their bans due to previous good record, and Marler didn't get anything close to that, so indirectly it has cost him.

It did, it earned him an extra week.

And, you often see guys getting 50% reduction in their bans due to previous good record, and Marler didn't get anything close to that, so indirectly it has cost him.

Oh hadnt realised that...ta.

Question on Jonny Hollands ama about holding on at the breakdown. Thought it was worth posting this here for the hilarious miss by Wayne Barnes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Question on Jonny Hollands ama about holding on at the breakdown. Thought it was worth posting this here for the hilarious miss by Wayne Barnes

Was he not allowing Sarries to recycle it as otherwise he would have gone back for the knock on

Synode wrote: »
    Was he not allowing Sarries to recycle it as otherwise he would have gone back for the knock on

Well they didn't really allow him a chance to get up having gone down on the ball. Not really that big a deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,330 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Was that not a loose ball he dived on? Shouldn't he be allowed to get to his feet before being tackled?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,215 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Was that not a loose ball he dived on? Shouldn't he be allowed to get to his feet before being tackled?

Nope, there is no obligation on the tackling player (A) to allow the other player (B) up.

Its the responsibility of B to either get up, pass the ball, or release it.

Player A has the responsibility not to flop down on top of player B, something that you see penalised from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,330 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Nope, there is no obligation on the tackling player (A) to allow the other player (B) up.

Its the responsibility of B to either get up, pass the ball, or release it.

Player A has the responsibility not to flop down on top of player B, something that you see penalised from time to time.
    You're quite correct. :cool:

Apparently one of those myths that I've fallen for. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I wasn't sure where to post this but with Munster signing 2 of the brightest talents in SA it seems the game down there is in freefall.

https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/features/columnists/nick-cain/27815/nick-cain-six-nations-offers-boks-a-route-to-salvation/

Didn't realise that SA's tv deal with supersport provides 70% of the funding for Super Rugby and the Rugby Championship with only 40% of it making it back to the SA union.

This all seems to be pointing to SA entry to the 6 Nations (or just the club game in Europe with SA remaiming in Rugby Championship - but would need standard rugby calendar for all).

Perhaps a separate championship down under involving NZ provinces, the Australian super sides with Perth back on board.

Even Pichot the former Pumas scrumhalf reckons the future for them is in aligning with the US/Canada.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2018/01/10/talk-rugby-exclusive-european-governing-body-move-hq-fromneuchatel/
    The governing body of the European Champions Cup has decided to move its headquarters out of the Swiss town of Neuchatel just three years after it was established, because of the travel demands the location has put on its staff and executives.

Well duh. I could have told them that. Or I suppose they could have just looked at a goddamn map.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Lima Sapoaga confirmed to be joining Wasps next season. Cipriani on his way out I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Cipriani on his way out I wonder?

Ulster could do worse

On the subject of doping. Any of our resident Kiwi's any insights on this, seems like young lads trying to climb the ladder a bit faster.

• Administrators Posts: 53,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Lima Sapoaga confirmed to be joining Wasps next season. Cipriani on his way out I wonder?

Ulster missed the boat on him because of the court case :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

On the subject of doping. Any of our resident Kiwi's any insights on this, seems like young lads trying to climb the ladder a bit faster.

Read about that earlier. Never heard of any of them. From the photo in the link, he was in u20s with Luatua and Sopoaga. Maybe he saw the level they've reached and realised he couldn't get there without cheating. I'm glad they got caught.

I hope that all the players at the elite level are clean but not so naive to think they all are or that none have taken something in the past to get up to that level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

molloyjh wrote: »

Especially cause they would have already read it 6 posts up :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Marcus Smith has signed a new contract with Harlequins worth 230k per annum before performance related bonuses.

He's 18.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Marcus Smith has signed a new contract with Harlequins worth 230k per annum before performance related bonuses.

He's 18.

Holy crap

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭swiwi_

He's 18.

From the little I’ve seen he looks worth it. Out of interest, I see he’s Filipino. In any case we’ll see if England finally have a player who matches the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

swiwi_ wrote: »
    From the little I’ve seen he looks worth it. Out of interest, I see he’s Filipino. In any case we’ll see if England finally have a player who matches the hype.

Did they do it the Kiwi way and bring him over at schools level, or is he a project/granny player?

stephen_n wrote: »
    Did they do it the Kiwi way and bring him over at schools level, or is he a project/granny player?

I think his surname points to the fact he's not exactly a purebred Filipino...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

He's none of those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭bilston

He's 18.

Having watched him in the back to backs against Ulster I can confirm he is potentially an exceptional talent. But based on those games anyway he is also a work in progress. £230k a year for an 18 year old work in progress must be a first in rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,610 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

His dad is English, went to school in England as well after living in Singapore for a while.

It's mental money for someone that young though, you would hope he keeps the head down and doesn't let it get to him.

Interesting backlog at 10 for England however, with Farrell and Ford being so young.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement