Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ 6.1 News changes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Dee Forbes used to be boss of Discovery channel. Hence my references to Shark Week.

Aaaah... , did not know that....great post.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Paul O'Flynn is doing the 6.1 today as the main presenter.

At one point, the sports presenter reading the news handed over to the sports presenter doing the sports, who then handed over to the sports presenter from the main sports story at the minute. Shame there was no other sports presenter available to be handed over to.

Just catching up on last night's. A cleanskin!

They're a few annual leave requests away from just hanging up a "sorry, shut until Sept 1st" sign, aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

alaimacerc wrote: »
    At one point, the sports presenter reading the news handed over to the sports presenter doing the sports, who then handed over to the sports presenter from the main sports story at the minute. Shame there was no other sports presenter available to be handed over to.

Just catching up on last night's. A cleanskin!

They're a few annual leave requests away from just hanging up a "sorry, shut until Sept 1st" sign, aren't they?

Nominations for best sports presenter to present the weather? I know he's retired but I think Micheál M would be terrific

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Has Kate Egan appeared yet? Another August helper.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,094 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Joanna Donnelly would be great craic reading the news .

• Advertisement

Has Kate Egan appeared yet? Another August helper.

Kate is a good newsreader. I think that she may have subbed presenting a Saturday current affairs show and afair she struggled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

I agree she is probably the most competent of the part timers.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Don't think much of this robot reading the news.
    Don't think much of him reading the sports either.
    How do some people get gigs in RTE for life?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Joanna Donnelly would be great craic reading the news .

It'd go on until 8.10.

Brian Finn has read news in the past. I think he does a great job with the business news on the radio.

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    It'd go on until 8.10.

That'd really confuse my Plus box, that thinks we're getting a full hour of news, and ends up recording half an hour of "nope, nothing on this channel!" blue screen.

honeybear wrote: »
    Brian Finn has read news in the past. I think he does a great job with the business news on the radio.

Good diction on that lad, not like that fella Brophy,very poor diction, pure Dalkey Killiney, ie London is Luundun and that kind of bat****.

Nah

Good diction on that lad, not like that fella Brophy,very poor diction, pure Dalkey Killiney, ie London is Luundun and that kind of bat****.

Nah

I like Conor Brophy for the business news

I like Conor Brophy for the business news

He is quite good, but screws it up with the pronounciation.

It’s not ‘Munny’ it’s ‘Money’.

Terrible stuff, and it’s a pity.

It’s not ‘Munny’ it’s ‘Money’.

Terrible stuff, and it’s a pity.

As someone with very poor diction (th issues!!!) I don’t really notice. I like that Conor is very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about delivering the business news-he is well able to answer any question presenters might throw at him.

As someone with very poor diction (th issues!!!) I don’t really notice. I like that Conor is very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about delivering the business news-he is well able to answer any question presenters might throw at him.

Yes agree there, but pronouncing the letter ‘o’ shouldn’t be too difficult to rectify.

Pronouncing ‘something’ as ‘summthing’ though shouldn’t be too difficult to sort out.

Maybe Culm o Moongain might be able to help;)

:D

"pronunciation".

100 times at the end of class, please.

Yes agree there, but pronouncing the letter ‘o’ shouldn’t be too difficult to rectify.
    Yes, because English is, as is well known, a very consistently spelt and pronounced language in which the letter "o" always has the same value, regardless of context.
    Pronouncing ‘something’ as ‘summthing’ though shouldn’t be too difficult to sort out.

What weird accent of your own devising do you have going on there in which "some" and "sum" aren't homophones?

Yes, because English is, as is well known, a very consistently spelt and pronounced language in which the letter "o" always has the same value, regardless of context.

What weird accent of your own devising do you have going on there in which "some" and "sum" aren't homophones?

Nothing weird, just that ‘some ‘ and ‘ sum’ should be pronounced differently.

Nothing weird, just that ‘some ‘ and ‘ sum’ should be pronounced differently.

Except in English. Of every feasible variety.

Don't suppose you do IPA transcriptions, though. What does "some" rhyme with, for you?

• Advertisement

Except in English. Of every feasible variety.

Don't suppose you do IPA transcriptions, though. What does "some" rhyme with, for you?

Some.. and here’s the big surprise

Sum rhymes with sum.

Who would have thunk that now?

Some.. and here’s the big surprise

Sum rhymes with sum.

Who would have thunk that now?

BB not quite understanding the concept of "rhymes" there, methunks.

Maybe you've somehow managed to contract some sort of cultural cringe about the "short u" sound in one of these, but not the other. Odd, but there's no accounting for folk. Or for language being a virus from outer space.

BB not quite understanding the concept of "rhymes" there, methunks.

Maybe you've somehow managed to contract some sort of cultural cringe about the "short u" sound in one of these, but not the other. Odd, but there's no accounting for folk. Or for language being a virus from outer space.

Only thing ‘odd’ for me is a dude saying ‘munny’ instead of ‘money’.

A la Mammy O ‘Rourke.

No accounting for ... what do they say....nowt as queer as folk.

Only thing ‘odd’ for me is a dude saying ‘munny’ instead of ‘money’.

As there's no such word as "munny", your meaning here is fairly opaque, but money does rhyme with funny, honey, etc. Unless you're, y'know, saying it "wrong". Like, I dunno, the painter?
    A la Mammy O ‘Rourke.
    A la "speakers of English", pretty much!

Can only imagine you're doing that Dooblin thing where "short-u" gets merged with "short-oo". Except you're doing it inconsistently between a pair of homophones.

So reeling in the years is on at half 6 now and it seems like everyone who's had to fill the slot including Ray Kennedy who paired with the ladies while they had time off has done a better job at this than the two ladies imo.

Even the lad who normally does the sports did a better delivery this evening.

So reeling in the years is on at half 6 now and it seems like everyone who's had to fill the slot including Ray Kennedy who paired with the ladies while they had time off has done a better job at this than the two ladies imo.

Even the lad who normally does the sports did a better delivery this evening.

These "month of Sundays" programmes -- 30m slot, and much of the second part is sport -- don't do live interviews, so it's hardly any sort of demanding task. Unless they have a total meltdown "better job" is largely going to come down to "I likes me the look/sound of him/her", really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

"you've dropped something!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,880 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

"you've dropped something!" :D
    I really didn't think he was going to recover himself there :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ireland trains

Tommie meskell presenting one o'clock news today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Tommie meskell presenting one o'clock news today

Are you serious? That dweeb? :D

Advertisement