Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTÉ 6.1 News changes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Ireland trains

When do people think it will be done by.
    Could they be aiming for September which is the time the six one and 1 o'clock are extended back to their usual times or is this to ambitious for rte.
    Would they use the smaller newsroom for broadcasts during the revamp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Just a note that
    In 2009 rte had 17 presenters
    7 men and 10 women
    In June 2018 they have 11
    2 men, 9 women and lots of these would have been rare relief presenters
    I wonder if there is a chance of any more presenters.
    It would be good to see the likes of miriam and david from prime time presenting the news a bit

Also most of the old guard have moved on in the last nine years, and especially the last two or three - leaving only Eileen Dunne, Eileen Whelan and Sharon.

Although Mir won't be running in this year's presidential election as was widely speculated, I still think her moving into the Áras is more likely than her becoming a full-time newscaster. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Skullface McGubbin

So they have the one who presented Crimecall doing the news and the one who did the news now presenting Crimecall.
    I don't understand this particular switch around. but whatever, its RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

A proposed drawing of the new studio setup.

Screen_Shot_2018_06_08_at_08_51_23.png

Why is six one rtes flagship news programme when more people watch the the 9 oclock news

• Advertisement

Why is six one rtes flagship news programme when more people watch the the 9 oclock news

Is it not obvious? The Six-One lasts (just shy of) an hour and has two presenters. :)

Ye but why dont they switch the 9 oclock to 2 presenters and longer time as there are more viewers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Even after a few months of practice the presenters still look a bit awkward. I wouldn't be surprised in not to short a time the line up will be shaken up.

I hope the presentation line up changes on six one.
    Id say there is a chance eileen dunne might be retiring soon as that could trigger another shake up or sharon might just take her place
    Any word on when the new look rte news might be launched (possibly september or january)

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Ye but why dont they switch the 9 oclock to 2 presenters and longer time as there are more viewers

because they don't want to work late.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Keplar240B wrote: »
    because they don't want to work late.

Because no channel wants to kill the post news schedule dead. If 9.01 was real the audience for whatever followed at 10 would suffer drastically. Its why ITV always has News at 10 as they know that post that slot there's only a few million watching TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Joe Dog

Just a note that
    In 2009 rte had 17 presenters
    7 men and 10 women
    In June 2018 they have 11
    2 men, 9 women
    and lots of these would have been rare relief presenters
    I wonder if there is a chance of any more presenters.
    It would be good to see the likes of miriam and david from prime time presenting the news a bit

But I thought it was virtually impossible for women to succeed in the media in ireland such is the massive gender bias that exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,034 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Joe Dog wrote: »
    But I thought it was virtually impossible for women to succeed in the media in ireland such is the massive gender bias that exists.

Dee is making sure the women’s agenda is pushed home in every current affairs program.

You look at every single person who reads the news on RTE day to day male or female and they do it better and more naturally than the pairing on the 6 one how many months on ? It's clear they have the wrong people in the wrong roles here. Catriona Perry did an excellent job in Washington imo but put her in front of the auto queue and she's terrible.

Enfilade wrote: »
    You look at every single person who reads the news on RTE day to day male or female and they do it better and more naturally than the pairing on the 6 one how many months on ? It's clear they have the wrong people in the wrong roles here. Catriona Perry did an excellent job in Washington imo but put her in front of the auto queue and she's terrible.

Why are we surprised, they gave poor John Murray the 9 to 10 slot on radio.

To a dimwit like me it was obvious he was a square peg in a round hole after two or three months, not suited for the role but they persisted.

Ditto MsPerry, was good in DC but not suited to her current slot.

I was looking at the rte schedule for next week and on the news now channel it showed that there was live midday news from 12pm to 1pm on monday and live afternoon news on tuesday from 4pm to 4:30pm. Is this just a mistake or are they actually creating more news bulletins.

This isn't the first time two women have presented the news together.
    Sharon Ní and Úna presentend six one on occasion together and even eileen whelan and eileen dunne.
    Aengus and Una would have made a good six one team if they hadn't retired

This is the second week of perry not being on six one.
    Is this permanent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭brian_t

I was looking at the rte schedule for next week and on the news now channel it showed that there was live midday news from 12pm to 1pm on monday and live afternoon news on tuesday from 4pm to 4:30pm. Is this just a mistake or are they actually creating more news bulletins.

I didn't think that RTE News Now had any original programming. That it was just replays of News, Current Affairs and Nationwide from RTE One.

And some World Cup matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Ray Kennedy on with Keelin Shanley again this week.He is excellent and should have replaced Bryan Dobson,much better to have him and Keelin Shanley together.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Enfilade wrote:

I thought Perry was just ok. Brian O'Donovan in Washington is that rare thing in RTE. He's animated, engaging and seems to have great energy. He's interesting and interested. Hes someoneceho had tge BBC style amd will probably find his way there eventually. So many dull as dishwater types floating around there-Eileen Dunne, E Whelan. Can't think of the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

bobbyss wrote: »
    I thought Perry was just ok. Brian O'Donovan in Washington is that rare thing in RTE. He's animated, engaging and seems to have great energy. He's interesting and interested. Hes someoneceho had tge BBC style amd will probably find his way there eventually. So many dull as dishwater types floating around there-Eileen Dunne, E Whelan. Can't think of the others.
    Agree re Washington guy - he is very good, but Perry was very good there too. Don’t watch 6 one as much as I used to. Think the two ladies dress like they are going to a wedding. Don’t get me started on the Weather forecasters ...

honeybear wrote: »
    Agree re Washington guy - he is very good, but Perry was very good there too. Don’t watch 6 one as much as I used to. Think the two ladies dress like they are going to a wedding. Don’t get me started on the Weather forecasters ...

Give the one that looks like Anjelica Huston a belt of a tight isobar, mesell.

bobbyss wrote: »
    So many dull as dishwater types floating around there-Eileen Dunne, E Whelan. Can't think of the others.

I've said before that the two Eileens and Sharon are more or less the last remaining members of the old guard.

Not sure I would say that the longest-serving newscasters are the dullest though. Anne Doyle was never dull... :D:);)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I can't believe they gave Perry the 6.1 job.

She is just terrible. The most obvious this is she has a lisp so how they see her as suitable to be on newsreading duties is strange.

Secondly she's just not a natural. Her body movements are as if she's trying to follow instructions the whole time. You'll see her move the position of her arms when sitting down and it just seems so fake and pre planned. She sometimes makes jokes too and it's just cringe.

Also she reads like our teacher told us how to read for our communion....taking a pause between each word making sure to pronounce each hard letter fully.

Ray Kennedy is by far the best presenter. A pure natural.

Shanley is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

This is the second week of perry not being on six one.
    Is this permanent

That would be great

Pussyhands wrote: »
    I can't believe they gave Perry the 6.1 job.

She is just terrible. The most obvious this is she has a lisp so how they see her as suitable to be on newsreading duties is strange.

Secondly she's just not a natural. Her body movements are as if she's trying to follow instructions the whole time. You'll see her move the position of her arms when sitting down and it just seems so fake and pre planned. She sometimes makes jokes too and it's just cringe.

Also she reads like our teacher told us how to read for our communion....taking a pause between each word making sure to pronounce each hard letter fully.

Ray Kennedy is by far the best presenter. A pure natural.

Shanley is fine.

Even an amateur like me could see that Catriona Perry might struggle at the role.

Was great in the USA, in fairness,in my opinion , bombing badly on the 6.1

Unfortunately it seems like perry will be back on 6 one as shanley will be doing weekend radio for miriam.
    Possibly eileen whelan might be on six one a bit soon as she hasnt been presenting the news for a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Unfortunately it seems like perry will be back on 6 one as shanley will be doing weekend radio for miriam.
    Possibly eileen whelan might be on six one a bit soon as she hasnt been presenting the news for a while

Catriona and Eileen probably on holidays at present,also Six One will probably have one reader and finish at 6 30 during the, "silly season" in August.

Advertisement