Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ 6.1 News changes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Muahahaha wrote: »
    It is a joke they are on half an hours news 8 days before Xmas. But thats the civil servant mindset that pervades within RTE- "Show 'em Reeling in the Years, they'll be grand"

The same civil servants who get 2 days off over Christmas is it? Ridiculous statement almost as ridiculous as the news being half an hour long 8 days before Xmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

When I was in the civil service I was forced to take leave over the Christmas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

But if I am not mistaken Maura and Daithi are doing an extra half hour all this week. Overtime bonus for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know anymore about this?

imos-3.jpg

The Sindo has it on their front page too but you have to register to read the article online. Something about Catriona Perry co-presenting the 9pm news from London on the night of Theresa Mays no confidence vote. Can someone post the article?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

The Sindo has it on their front page too but you have to register to read the article online. Something about Catriona Perry co-presenting the 9pm news from London on the night of Theresa Mays no confidence vote. Can someone post the article?

I think this is what you`re looking for.

http://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/newsireland/rte%e2%80%99s-sharon-n%c3%ad-bheol%c3%a1in-makes-complaint-against-her-boss-at-the-station/ar-BBRkfK0?li=BBr5KbJ

Seems like quite the spat, ni Bheolain not impressed about being told she was co-anchor with Catriona Perry for the 9pm news. niBheolain said she wasnt doing the 9pm news unless it was on her own. Head of News stood her down and got a replacement in and she hasnt presented the 9pm news since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Women banging on about equality and give them a chance guff.and then this is how they behave around one another.bring back Dobbo.none of these problems when he was on news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Im glad shes off the air, there are too many women presenting the news now, its just so totally unbalanced.

Hopefully they wont let her back, its time for a bit of testerone.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,169 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Seems like quite the spat, ni Bheolain not impressed about being told she was co-anchor with Catriona Perry for the 9pm news. niBheolain said she wasnt doing the 9pm news unless it was on her own. Head of News stood her down and got a replacement in and she hasnt presented the 9pm news since.

Someone needs to take control out there.

Inmates are running the asylum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

tretorn wrote: »
    Im glad shes off the air, there are too many women presenting the news now, its just so totally unbalanced.

The big Dee won't allow that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

tretorn wrote: »

It does need a better balance.

All women = progress
    All men = patriarchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

It does strike me how women dominated the news presenter roles in RTE - probably a good thing but not automatically so.

I dont know who are the regular presenter/presenters of the 1 O Clock news but lets say its 50/50 with rrotating presenters.

Six One has two full time female presenters.

The Nine O'Clock news is rotated between Sharon ni Bheolain and Eileen Dunne.

So the main TV news programmes (by length) have 87.5% female presenters.

On radio the main news programmes also tend to be presented by women.

Morning Ireland has arota of 4 presenters - Bryan Dobson. Gavin Jennings, Rachel English and Audrey Carville so a 50/5o split.

The News At One is presented by Aine Lalor and Clare Byrrne.

Driveiime is with Mary Wilson.

The Late Debate has Sarah McInerney 3 nights a week with Katie Hannon covering for maternity leave.

So the main radio current affairs programmes (by length) have 83% female presenters.

Again not a bad thing but nobody would ever think it judging by the calls to address the under representation of women in such roles.

Even sadder for me to have noticed, and maybe connected to this story is the difference in how Eileen Dunne and Sharon Ni Bheolain are tasked on the days they do the Nine O'Clock news. On the weekdays when Eileen Dubbe is on dury she will start with the 3pm radio news after Liveline and do the news on Drivrtime as well. When Sharon Ni Bheolain does the 9 O'Clock news she never does the afternoon radio news shift with someone like Shane mcGabhann covering that. Always thought that was an odd set up and wondered if her cobtrac contract was a lot better than Eileen dunne's.

Thats interesting that NiBheolain doesnt do the 3pm or drivetime news on the radio. It sounds like there is a power struggle in the newsroom between NiBheolain and her boss the Head of News John Williams. It seems that Sharon wanted be the one to break the news of Therasa Mays survival of the no confidence vote in the Commons but Williams usurped her by having Catrionia Perry report the news from directly outside the Commons. Getting Perry to report it makes sense- why else have her over in London with an outside broadcast camera crew if she wasnt going to report what was happening?

The results of the vote of no confidence was scheduled in the Commons to be released at 9pm and Perry was on location anyway from the 6pm news. Ni Bheolain didnt like 'her show' being used like this so she throws her toys out of the pram and says its my ball and Im going home. And now she has put in a complaint about her boss. Its unbelievable Jeff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

In my opinion the vote from London was not in time for the six one news. It was to be the main story on the nine o clock news. That's Sharon's airtime therefore it's Sharon's big story to break not Catriona Perry's. Otherwise Sharon's just being treated like a continuity announcer. I just have a feeling this would absolutely not have been tried on Dobbo.
    RTE should have had a London correspondent there instead of flying Catriona Perry over in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

juneg wrote: »
    In my opinion the vote from London was not in time for the six one news. It was to be the main story on the nine o clock news. That's Sharon's airtime therefore it's Sharon's big story to break not Catriona Perry's. Otherwise Sharon's just being treated like a continuity announcer. I just have a feeling this would absolutely not have been tried on Dobbo.
    RTE should have had a London correspondent there instead of flying Catriona Perry over in the first place.

I dunno, it sounds a bit insecure on Sharon's part. I can't imagine Dobbo giving a damn about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If he did he'd not go off on one and then refuse to calm the **** down for two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Why do we need the state to tell us what the news is?

It is incredible in a democracy that the state can dominate television and radio like it it does in Ireland and jail people who refuse to pay for it.

RTE should be cut to the bone and the licence fee scraped and whats left paid for thru normal taxation.

77% of the Irish public regards
    RTÉ Television News as its main source of
    both Irish and international news.
    Source: TNS-mrbi RTÉ Corporate Reputation Survey 2006

https://www.rte.ie/documents/about/news.pdf

Show me one other Mature democracy where this is case?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

RTE's London Correspondent, Fiona Mitchell, would have had more of a reason to flounce off in a huff. She's the London Correspondent and she is displaced by Perry for, potentially, one of the biggest stories from London in the year.

Maybe Sharon has too high an opinion of her own competence? Her interview technique is cringe worthy if you compare it to Dobbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

DeepBlue wrote: »
    RTE's London Correspondent, Fiona Mitchell, would have had more of a reason to flounce off in a huff. She's the London Correspondent and she is displaced by Perry for, potentially, one of the biggest stories from London in the year.

Maybe Sharon has too high an opinion of her own competence? Her interview technique is cringe worthy if you compare it to Dobbo.

She comes across as a bit of a sneer on Crimecall too. Over rated and definitely over paid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Mitchell's London post doesn't start until January.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Mitchell's London post doesn't start until January.

Start ? Fiona Mitchell is the Current London correspondent though isn't she ?

Also why is Sharon taking a case against the DG of RTE ?

backspin. wrote: »
    I dunno, it sounds a bit insecure on Sharon's part. I can't imagine Dobbo giving a damn about it.

It does for sure. I know there is competition between print journalists to be the first to get a 'scoop' to break news but that doesnt apply in this instance, it seems Sharon just wanted to be the one who read the news off the autocue. Perhaps she sees herself as the 'senior' news anchor and allowing Perry to report it was an insult to her seniority.

DeepBlue wrote: »

Fiona Mitchell would definitely have reason to have her nose out of joint, London is her territory per se so flying Perry out there must have rankled with her too.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Does anyone not like how Catriona Perry still sticks her oar in on US based stories even though RTE have a dedicated Washington correspondent for the very purpose of covering the american stories ? She isn't the correspondent for that area anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,737 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Does anyone not like how Catriona Perry still sticks her oar in on US based stories even though RTE have a dedicated Washington correspondent for the very purpose of covering the american stories ? She isn't the correspondent for that area anymore.

RTE news is far too dominated by US news which has little or no bearing on Ireland. What percentage of the news budget is blown in US news? Surely Australian news should be near the same if it's catering for de family out foreign they are catering for?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Amidst all of this news with Ní Bheolain's spat with Williams. RTÉ have made another appointment to their news team.

They have appointed Vincent Kearney to be their NI Correspondent. He is currently with BBC Newsline as Home Affairs Correspondent.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-46667149

He is also Brendan Wright's replacement as he has now retired from RTÉ News.

https://twitter.com/WilliamsJon/status/1076800724732911617

• Registered Users Posts: 19,169 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Amidst all of this news with Ní Bheolain's spat with Williams. RTÉ have made another appointment to their news team.

They have appointed Vincent Kearney to be their NI Correspondent. He is currently with BBC Newsline as Home Affairs Correspondent.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-46667149

He is also Brendan Wright's replacement as he has now retired from RTÉ News.

https://twitter.com/WilliamsJon/status/1076800724732911617

Aaah Brendan Wright is retired... was a fixture for yonks, and looked like the real old time newshound.

Very good operator, wish him well.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I couldn’t stand Brendan Wright. Talk about being 1 dimensional

And the length of time it took him to sign off!!

Brendan Wright

AreTÉ News

Belfast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

RTE news is far too dominated by US news which has little or no bearing on Ireland. What percentage of the news budget is blown in US news? Surely Australian news should be near the same if it's catering for de family out foreign they are catering for?

I disagree. It's not to do with the impact of the news on Irish Americans, rather the fact that US policy has profound impacts on Ireland's economy. What goes on in Australian politics may be of interest to those living there but it has zero impact on Irish or global economics.

The US is also our second largest trading partner after the EU and a huge source of inward investment.

Changes in policies there have impact here.

They have one US correspondent and that's it. It's hardly overkill.

The alternative would be to rely on coverage from US or UK news outlets who may not even see how stories impact Ireland.

Also using regular US correspondents from other channels isn't free of charge either. It's fine for the odd report here and there but when you've a large volume of stories the bills mount quickly.

Advertisement