Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ 6.1 News changes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭brian_t

According to the Indo Sharon Ní Bheolain will return to RTE One's 'Nine O'Clock News' tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Maybe Sharon has too high an opinion of her own competence? Her interview technique is cringe worthy if you compare it to Dobbo.

Always been a fan of Dobbo but lets not forget he got spun a yarn by Bertie and his crocodile tears when a hard interview was required. Jeremy Paxman he ain't.
    I couldn’t stand Brendan Wright. Talk about being 1 dimensional

And the length of time it took him to sign off!!

haha he did take ages! Also the way he gripped the mircophone, sqeezing it as if some scrote off camera was about to nick it from him live on air :D
    I wish him a nice retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I couldn’t stand Brendan Wright. Talk about being 1 dimensional

And the length of time it took him to sign off!!

Brendan Wright

AreTÉ News

Belfast.

Jaysus, I thought old Brendan Wright Of Our Northern Staff had been pensioned off years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Sharon has always been a poor broadcaster, unable to deal with breaking news and interviews.

There's no way people like her or Anges Macrianna would ever get a job on the BBC or Sky News.

RTE News is the brand, not the presenters. This is something that Sharon seems to have forgotten.

Conor84 wrote:
    It does strike me how women dominated the news presenter roles in RTE - probably a good thing but not automatically so.

Perhaps a lot of presenters are female, but there still isn't gender balance. Most of their senior correspondents are male. Europe, American, Business, Economics, Agriculture, Technology, Health, Political are all male. Plus most of their regional correspondents are male - Dublin, Southern, South East, Midlands, Western, North East, Belfast. So most of the reporters featured in the bulletins are male.

So you're assumption about the tide turning isn't correct. And RTE 's head of news is a man.

Anyway this isn't a male female issue.

• Advertisement

EdgeCase wrote:
    I disagree. It's not to do with the impact of the news on Irish Americans, rather the fact that US policy has profound impacts on Ireland's economy. What goes on in Australian politics may be of interest to those living there but it has zero impact on Irish or global economics.

EdgeCase wrote:
    Changes in policies there have impact here.

RTE does not focus on these policies when it's covering US stories.

Bad weather in the States regularly gets a report on Irish bulletins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭bobbyss

backspin. wrote:
    I dunno, it sounds a bit insecure on Sharon's part. I can't imagine Dobbo giving a damn about it.

Yeah. And for those who are watching, who the hell cares who breaks what news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

"RTE reporter Damien Tiernan becomes latest shock departure from broadcaster as he quits role as South East correspondent"

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/rte-damien-tiernan-reporter-ireland-13801487

• Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Wombatman wrote: »
    "RTE reporter Damien Tiernan becomes latest shock departure from broadcaster as he quits role as South East correspondent"

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/rte-damien-tiernan-reporter-ireland-13801487

Big news in media land but does anybody in the country really care?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,175 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Doubt if it was big news anywhere outside Wickla or Waxxfurd.........?

Was it voluntary redundancy I wonder, and do we have details of the lump:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Voluntary redundancy. He's got 23 years done so he's probably max'd out the package?

Voluntary redundancy. He's got 23 years done so he's probably max'd out the package?

23 hrs..... doubt it, but should be fairly hefty all the same.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

do we have details of the lump:eek:

Given the fact it’s RTÉ, he’ll probably get €437,000 more than he’s owed, just in case he knows something!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    RTE's London Correspondent, Fiona Mitchell, would have had more of a reason to flounce off in a huff. She's the London Correspondent and she is displaced by Perry for, potentially, one of the biggest stories from London in the year.

Maybe Sharon has too high an opinion of her own competence? Her interview technique is cringe worthy if you compare it to Dobbo.

Sharon is a well respected, seasoned broadcaster and senior news anchor. Perry was a reporter up until last year.

The issue is nothing to do with divas. It's to do with respect and management undermining a senior staff member in front of subordinates.

There is a hierarchy in terms of news team. The issue I gather is that the senior news anchor wasn't consulted on the content or location of the 9 O'Clock News. The 6 O Clock news got preference to position themselves in London and therefore anchor both. That shouldn't have happened without discussion and consultation with the senior anchor.

There is clearly a lack of communication and/or lack of understanding between the management and the senior members of the news team.

Would this have happened when Dobbo was there ?

Keplar240B wrote: »
    Why do we need the state to tell us what the news is?

It is incredible in a democracy that the state can dominate television and radio like it it does in Ireland and jail people who refuse to pay for it.

RTE should be cut to the bone and the licence fee scraped and whats left paid for thru normal taxation.

77% of the Irish public regards
    RTÉ Television News as its main source of
    both Irish and international news.

Source: TNS-mrbi RTÉ Corporate Reputation Survey 2006

https://www.rte.ie/documents/about/news.pdf

Show me one other Mature democracy where this is case?

Are you answering your own questions ?

People do not get jailed for not having a TV licence. They get jailed for not paying fines and ignoring court orders.

Every country has a state broadcaster, otherwise we would have private individuals with their own agendas providing people with the news they want you to hear. Like God forbid anyone every gets themselves in the position that they control the so called independent media in Ireland. Couldn't happen, could it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Speculation locally he'll be making a move to WLR FM which has a vacancy for the mid morning discussion programme Deise AM.

STB. wrote: »
    Are you answering your own questions ?

People do not get jailed for not having a TV licence. They get jailed for not paying fines and ignoring court orders.

Every country has a state broadcaster, otherwise we would have private individuals with their own agendas providing people with the news they want you to hear. Like God forbid anyone every gets themselves in the position that they control the so called independent media in Ireland. Couldn't happen, could it ?

Anyone who listens to US radio would agree with you S.

While I would see RTE as an overpaid, incestuos,nest of neckbeards and divas and liggers, I do agree that we need a State broadcaster.

Speculation locally he'll be making a move to WLR FM which has a vacancy for the mid morning discussion programme Deise AM.

Should get him to the State pinshun age without having to hit on the ‘lump’?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

There is a hierarchy in terms of news team.

I would argue that the hierarchy is not from superiority, but rather the hierarchy of the sixone being RTÉ’s flagship news programme, and thus it’s presenters get to front the big news stories whatever time they are on.

How often did we see Sharon and/or Brian fronting the news at 1pm or 9pm while they were the SixOne anchors when the story was big enough?

I would argue that the hierarchy is not from superiority, but rather the hierarchy of the sixone being RTɒs flagship news programme, and thus it’s presenters get to front the big news stories whatever time they are on.

How often did we see Sharon and/or Brian fronting the news at 1pm or 9pm while they were the SixOne anchors when the story was big enough?

You could argue you that all you want but you wouldn't have a clue what you are talking about.

The hierarchy is most certainly from seniority and suitability.

The 9 O Clock news has higher viewership for a start.

Secondly, its what the broadcast journos aspire to present.

In the past Dobbo and Sharon did front outside broadcasts from location for both 6 & 9. They were already that senior.

• Advertisement

Anyone who listens to US radio would agree with you S.

While I would see RTE as an overpaid, incestuos,nest of neckbeards and divas and liggers, I do agree that we need a State broadcaster.

I am one of those people.

Yes there are plenty overpaid, especially on the so called entertainment side through their own production companies, Tubridy in particular . Not so much in the newsroom. Comparatively government ministers in Ireland also get paid far too much.

To put it in perspective, not everyone can perform open heart surgery and not everyone is a natural broadcaster, but most think they could do the latter.

I am one of those people.

Yes there are plenty overpaid, especially on the so called entertainment side through their own production companies, Tubridy in particular . Not so much in the newsroom. Comparatively government ministers in Ireland also get paid far too much.

To put it in perspective, not everyone can perform open heart surgery and not everyone is a natural broadcaster, but most think they could do the latter.

Good call there S.

I’m interested that you refer to the “entertainment side”.

Who would they be?

My experience is that the entertainment industry is at its busiest around the holiday period, the pantos, The pubs, the restaurants, the cinemas, the theatres.

Tubridy hasn’t been seen all over the holiday period?

Several of those in the so called ‘entertainment business’ presumably employed by RTE have been appearing in ‘other productions’ over the holiday period.

What’s the story there?

Now ,I’m not putting any pressure to reply to this , I understand your sit.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭brick man

When RTE News gets its makeover will News Now get one or is it heading for closure or does anybody have an update .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Still on half measures, even Channel 4 news is back to an hour from tonight.

Still on half measures, even Channel 4 news is back to an hour from tonight.

Yes and the presenter seems just to want to get the fork out of the place.

Terrible treatment for the taxpayer.

Good call there S.

I’m interested that you refer to the “entertainment side”.

I think your reading too much into what I said.

Entertainment = DJ's and Radio/TV Presenters

The majority are on contracts and RTE pay these "production" companies, many of which are receptacles for RTE payments.

Example

Ray Darcy's company is called Whatnext Productions Ltd.

Ryan Tubridy's is called Tuttle Productions Ltd.

brick man wrote: »
    When RTE News gets its makeover will News Now get one or is it heading for closure or does anybody have an update .

There is just one factor determining its future. The ability to accept advertising from which it is currently precluded.

The Communications Minister and Government will have to sanction this. They either get it or it shuts down most likely in the coming months.

Given the shenanigans that went on with the carriage costs of the Oireachtas Tv channel on the Saorview platform (whereby the TDs expected RTE to do it for free), unlike Sky where the Houses of the Oireachtas are paying a discounted 250k per year for carriage, I can see agreement being reached on some form of contra deal basis. RTE (2RN) currently have a discounted agreement with the Oireachtas to provide the channel for 250k also (it should be 900k).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Example

Ray Darcy's company is called Whatnext Productions Ltd.

Ryan Tubridy's is called Tuttle Productions Ltd.

Does the practice of RTE staffers having their own production companies for outsourced work from the mothership still go on? I remember Miriam O'Callaghan and her husband founded and owned Mint Productions which produced several outsourced multi part documentaries for RTE including Haughey and Bertie. Nice money for a sideline business to the main job.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,654 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Does the practice of RTE staffers having their own production companies for outsourced work from the mothership still go on? I remember Miriam O'Callaghan and her husband founded and owned Mint Productions which produced several outsourced multi part documentaries for RTE including Haughey and Bertie. Nice money for a sideline business to the main job.
    It was the hubbie's full-time business at that time. They closed it down when he took on a role with BBC NI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Full measures back this evening with Keelin and Catriona sitting down all through.Sports news still the standing up variety.Major changes then for 2019 lol.

Advertisement