Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to your work Christmas party?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭Grueller

I am a contractor providing (small) services to 3 large organisations. I have been invited to two of their partys. I will be going as it might be detrimental to business not to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

hqdefault.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Patww79 wrote: »
    You lost someone their job because they had a few and were eyeing someone up? Jesus, all the more reason not to go to these things when there's vipers like that watching on from the corner taking notes.

And then to slither along and rub it in afterwards? They should have put you in hospital.

I don't think anyone is so crass/small minded to do this IRL :D

Even if he did....your man would probably looked at him odd and not remembered a random nothing conversation from months back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement

When his contract wasn't renewed at the end of the year (I veto'd it; that kind of drinking really isn't welcome in an institute on the cutting edge of European finance),

Funny as this pretty much confirms (as if we didn't know it already) that AVB does not work in an "institute on the cutting edge of European finance" as financial institutes employ some of the biggest drinkers going particularly those in the good jobs. Anyone who has spent any time around the financial district in London will see people pour out of the big investment banks, hedge fund offices etc and straight to the pub for lunch, its pretty much accepted that traders drink on the job, some of the wildest parties you will hear about are people from "institutes on the cutting edge of European and world finance".

Even making up something like sacking someone over having a few pints is laughable, poor AVBs head would explode if he was working where I do. If someone was really like him they would be the one got rid off for being a dry sh1te :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Funny as this pretty much confirms (as if we didn't know it already) that AVB does not work in an "institute on the cutting edge of European finance" as financial institutes employ some of the biggest drinkers going particularly those in the good jobs. Anyone who has spent any time around the financial district in London will see people pour out of the big investment banks, hedge fund offices etc and straight to the pub for lunch, its pretty much accepted that traders drink on the job, some of the wildest parties you will hear about are people from "institutes on the cutting edge of European and world finance".

Even making up something like sacking someone over having a few pints is laughable, poor AVBs head would explode if he was working where I do. If someone was really like him they would be the one got rid off for being a dry sh1te :D
    The innovative Germans have streamlined the not so sneaky drink while on the clock, most large German offices have at least one beer tap installed, so if our esteemed friend gus wants to keep climbing that ladder he should fill his glass and try fit in. The concept of talking around the water cooler is unknown in the fatherland, they go to the corridor and have a pint and wander back to the desk in their suit and tie/cargo pants ensemble. Unsurprisingly morale and productivity are always high so the bossman doesn't bat an eyelid.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I think Aongus’s posts are tongue in cheek satire, if not and it’s true he is one seriously condescending/nasty and arrogant individual who I would hope never to encounter.

But drinking on the job is a real problem in a lot of workplaces. Years back in my 20s when I was a researcher my colleagues and I very occasionally had a couple of pints at lunch on a Friday but I found that I was very unproductive in the office after going back to work that afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Funny as this pretty much confirms (as if we didn't know it already) that AVB does not work in an "institute on the cutting edge of European finance" as financial institutes employ some of the biggest drinkers going particularly those in the good jobs.

And cokeheads!

Anyway, obvious parody account is obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Yes because it takes place during work hours so we pretty much get the day off the have it, so can't complain. Always on our last day of work too. Only about 10ish people in the company, bowling and beers in the morning then some fancy steak place for lunch, stay drinking there all afternoon. By the time 5-6pm rolls round everyones knackered and heads off.

We tried it after work hours last year and the boss didnt like it....so back to the early start and whole day affair this year. Yay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

There'll be several team sessions (usually paid for by suppliers) and I'll get out to as many as I can. Then again, the team are great craic and we get along great, not really sure how we get so much work done.

The department will have a party then somewhere. I'm going to give a meh to that one. I will probably be out for a few with some old colleagues who are now interspersed into other teams in the dept.

The company Xmas party is definitely a no. That'll be a big suited and booted affair with much brown nosing and politics aplenty.

On the flip side of that, the company do a massive table quiz night around the same time. A 3000 people table quiz is quite a thing to behold. There was no bar but each table had its own stock of cans and spirits. Great craic last year, I'll go to that again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I've usually gone but this year am in a different place. The misers don't organise anything but some of the staff have got their plans. No way am I going, only went in previous years for free stuff. If it's out of my own pocket, no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I started work as a permanent employee for a large finance company earlier in the year. I'm the sole person here in Dublin doing my job and I sit in my own office so dont have colleagues to mingle with.
    The biggest fear I have of going to one of these events is being left standing there like a tool when everyone pairs off into their respective departments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Department Party - Yes
    Company Party - Absolutely not

theteal wrote: »

The company Xmas party is definitely a no. That'll be a big suited and booted affair with much brown nosing and politics aplenty.

These are great for getting to know people though, getting on the radar for new positions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I’m glad I studied hard and worked hard, so I don’t have to face heading into a work environment where people are arriving in at all hours stinking of Heineken, and heading for chicken fillet rolls at lunchtime to recover.

The heavy drinking in banking is the kind of comment you would hear on a building site after "one of the lads" watches Wolf of Wall Street for the first time. You will find a lot of the lower level bank staff and stockbrokers over-indulging on booze but management, and the real "thought leaders" of the industry, would rather get their "buzz off" finalising seven, eight and nine figure deals without the need for intoxicants.You cannot meet clients or colleagues if you are reeking of vodka and flatulence. You cannot analyze large amounts of complex information if you have a head on you like a Brillo pad with high blood pressure from a ‘mad one’ the night before.

The organisation I work for has a strong occupational health and safety strategy, and if one of its employees was coming into work drunk or under the influence of narcotics, then help and support would be offered. It certainly wouldn’t be tolerated, and it’s utterly deluded of you to think it’s part of any corporate culture.

I’m an extremely fit man, with 10k times that are the envy of colleagues 15 years younger than me. Brisk exercise, healthy eating, and a range of relaxing hobbies are vital components in being successful in this industry. Drinking 12 pints and coming into work looking like you slept beside a skip isn’t. Heavy drinking isn’t cool. It’s a cry for help at an emotional and spiritual level.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

These are great for getting to know people though, getting on the radar for new positions etc.

In normal circumstances, I'd imagine they are. It's just not the way it works in our IT department - I know for a fact our senior director won't be at it either, he'll be down the local convincing the cisco account maanger to put his card behind the bar :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

If we go to our Christmas party, we get two days off work as it is in London. If we don't go, we have to work for those two days. So, I'm going as I'd rather not come to work on those two days!

You cannot analyze large amounts of complex information if you have a head on you like a Brillo pad with high blood pressure from a ‘mad one’ the night before.

Ah but I can, I work on topics that are at a level of complexity that would make financial analysis appear like a primary school subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Nah, can't be arsed.

In an old job of mine we had nights out for every little thing. New house, need baby, big birthday, Christmas, Easter, etc. I hardly went to any of them. It's not my thing at all. These days it's just me so I'll be having some kind of celebration of one. Hate the feckin time of year anyway.
    Baa Humbug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

In my workplace getting on the radar for new positions depends on your skill set, not your ability to kiss ass at the Christmas party.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Can't meet clients reeking of vodka and flatulence.

Funniest line I've read in months

In my workplace getting on the radar for new positions depends on your skill set, not your ability to kiss ass at the Christmas party.

You obvioulsy have to have ability also but my last two internal positions were attained almost 100% down to having got to know the bosses while out on the p*ss with them which led to them chatting to me in the office and thus positions getting discussed. If people work in different areas of the business you aren't going to get on the radar no matter how could you are if your paths don't cross.

Also its not kissing ass its out having the craic and enjoying the night but when everyone is getting drunk they start to mix more and talk more etc its just a bonus that it has benefits at work too.

Aside from that I have gotten to know people across all areas of the business almost exclusively due to chatting to them during nights out etc and its very very helpful in getting things done quickly while others wouldnt have that direct link or have such a clear understanding of who does what and who can do what for you etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

You obvioulsy have to have ability also but my last two internal positions were almost 100% down to having got to know the bosses while out on the p*ss with them which led to them chatting to you at work and thus positions coming up getting mentioned.

That is pretty much the definition of kissing arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

LirW wrote: »

Only in your dictionary I would surmise

Well for a start its not and even more so as I never went on a night out with the aim of getting chatting to anyone or getting on anyones radar its only in hindsight that I see the benefits and having seen the advantages I may do it intentionally in the future.

Also even if it was kissing arse whats wrong with it when its benefiting your career.

I disagree and can see Nox' point. Nights out where you let your hair down and relax can be a very good way to get to know the people you work with including mamagement. It's a good opportunity to show personable skills and make an impression. If I were hiring I'd be looking at interactions among colleagues during the Christmas party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Well I don't know if going for a 3day p1ss-up is a valuable skill.

But then again I'm not interested in spending my freetime with my boss and colleagues only if I'm on good terms with them.

Advertisement