Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to your work Christmas party?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

LirW wrote: »
    That's also one I consider strange but hear a lot: Company parties that include a meal but in fact you have to pay for it yourself. I mean, I fully understand that the company won't pay for a pish up that will go down in history but it's odd for a company to plan big events sometimes with meal, venue hire and it comes close to a wedding but people are not only expected to attend but have to pay for it.

In the last company I've worked (small one) the owners paid because they could offset the event against tax.

When I was working during the boom years it seemed to be more common for the company to pay for the meal, but its not the case where I work now. I think one year the company offered to pay for half the meal but generally we have to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

So my boss recently organised a party and nobody is going. Usually there would be a few but not one person has put their name down. He has been a bit of a bastard lately so Im not that surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I wouldn't imagine I'll be attending lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Yes indeed!!!!

We usually have a meet up at a hotel, very civilised dinner (not much or nothing to drink)......up the next morning, early, for a few hours to discuss/review the year and talk about first part of next year etc

Then meet up with the rest of the staff for a lunch with a speaker.....then we have the staff awards (which are mostly about taking the mick), then it's a bit of boozy afternoon, buffet for dinner and on to the nightclub for anyone with the stamina. The firm is good enough to pay for everyone's food, drink and accommodation (or car home, if you don't fancy staying).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Dagenham Dave

I accepted redundancy a few weeks ago and at the time I said I'd go to the Xmas do.
    With a few weeks distance between me and the company I can now think of nothing worse.
    Imagine paying 40 quid to eat an over cooked Christmas dinner with people you just about tolerate during the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Jaysus no. I wouldn't be seen dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

A benefit of living in a Muslim country is there are none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

We don’t have one, ppl organise their own stuff. The old ones are having dinner and the kids are drinking and finger food. I’ll have a few pints but ex from London is over so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Patww79 wrote: »

An 'after dinner' type speaker......except its after lunch :) Usually they get someone in with a funny story or two to tell..... it's a bit of craic. Last year it was a former Apache helicopter pilot, year before it was a tv/film producer and the year before that it was a de-frocked priest who now works in medical education.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Don’t want to go. Anyone a good excuse???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Just don't show up.

If you want , text one person saying "something came up , enjoy the night "

Bang.

If anyone asks at work just say , ah just some family stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I'll just be showing my face at mine for an hour or so. It's drinks and platters of gougons, sausages etc in a pub in town. Not really my cup of tea anymore, I'd prefer to go for a meal somewhere.

What is your workplace organising and will you be going?

Not going to mine, but mines the opposite. Sit down meal. Wanna swap parties?? Hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Used to go every year, Always good craic, Hotel for the night, dinner and drinks paid for.

On the Monday after the last one a couple years back I got "Hey great night, I was a bit drunk last night, Did you cum IN me? My husband got the snip, Do I need the pill or what"

Whaaaaaaat?

Haven't gone to any outing since.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

You might get to ride a drunken colleague.

Alpha_zero wrote: »

See my post above haha.

I always here about lads doing the dirty but it's actually mad the amount of women that cheat on their partners at these things.

Seen it every year. Mad for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Alpha_zero wrote: »

About six years ago I did just this and I can honestly say the most horrific experience I've ever had (the aftermath not the sex!) , as a guy working in a largely female department the chatter and titters went on for months -arrived to work every morning red in the face before I even got out of the lift.

I very much enjoy pants off time but would never do it again with someone I have to involuntarily sit across from for 40 hours a week. My overwhelming lesson was "girls talk" - I hope she was kind or more specifically a liar :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Yep. Meal first and a reckless session to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I swear women plan this night out in their head as the time they would most like to cheat / ride the guy in the office.

The magic of xmas

....... wrote: »

Yes, But told her no. "Of Course Not"

Felt bad, Thank god she got the pill anyway.

Imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Undecided relatively new in company so if I do go I'll be driving no drinking and leaving before it gets sloppy. As for women carrying on....well it takes 2 to tango and all that and yes the Christmas parties are full of scumbags doing the dirt on their partners and spouses. I'd rather not know that TBH as I really think if that's what they do that on the ones nearest and dearest to, then they'd be pure back stabbers to work with.
    Respect takes years to earn and seconds to lose forever....

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Radiant Cool Crazy Nightmare

About ten years ago at the main party, I was the guy that was out of it super early on the free bar, whiskey no less, stuffy crowd all looked on as I was out dancing on my own on an empty dancefloor, and I know I cannot dance. Going around like a lunatic for the night in front of the whole place, I am cringing typing this. Havent gone to one since, its better for my mental health as I was depressed for a long time after that party.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

It’s obligatory for me sadly, not a party though, a lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Worked in a small company in Galway a few years ago.

Our christmas do was dinner followed by a party with DJ in a function room in a city pub where the boss had left cash behind the bar.

After dinner the older crowd decided to skip the party and head home. I took 1 look at who was left and decided to skip home myself.

I woke next morning to texts left at 2am with insults ranging from 'ignorant prick' 'dry ****e' and 'bollocks'.

Turned out the bar required a minimum number of antendees and my no show had left them short so the bar decided to let the room to a bigger group who wanted somewhere at short notice.

My sympathy was short lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Patww79 wrote: »
    Just don't show up.

If you want , text one person saying "something came up , enjoy the night "

Bang.

If anyone asks at work just say , ah just some family stuff

If you know you're not going then just say it.

People who don't show up on the night or send a last minute text just look like flaky gobsh*tes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭sonic85

Thanks but no thanks. Have absolutely no interest in Christmas parties or indeed any party. I'd much prefer if I had the option of - would you prefer to go to the party or €20 extra in your wages that week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭missyb01

Thats a no from me. There hasn't been a Xmas party in my place in 12 years. All women and only a handful of us get on so the bosses didn't think it would be a good idea to add alcohol to the mix. They tried a Xmas lunch one year and that didn't work either so there will never be after work events

Advertisement