Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to your work Christmas party?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Im surprised by some of the replies here in relation to the alleged benefits of mixing with management. At the end of the day your boss has to make impartial and cold decisions in relation to your career- pay, work conditions and promotions. So it certainly pays to have a professional relationship with the boss. Im good at my job and help my workmates in any way i can.
    But would i have a few pints and dance to music with my boss in the same room? Christ no with a capital NO. Its not the same as your mates you cant just cut loose and be yourself you have a job to do. My boss has been my boss for 7yrs now and doesnt know anything about my personal life he has probably after given up trying but thats fine- given the chance to mix with mates or people i work with its mates or family any day of the week.
    Its also sad how some people dont seem to have any friends outside of work..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Never ceases to amaze me how many people look at their work colleagues as though they're from another planet. 'Forced fun and if you attend you're a d!ck,' and 'I have to spend all day with them as it is.'

For the most part, they probably have similar ambitions and frustrations as you with the job. Going on a night out with them is not agreeing to participate in some secret club, or all of a sudden change your work dynamic. It can be a bit of craic, or you could also end up stuck beside some boring fcuker who wont stop talking shop. I'm of the opinion that a night out is what you make it anyway. But the way some people are talking here, you'd swear they were teenagers being forced to go on a night out with their teachers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Never ceases to amaze me how many people look at their work colleagues as though they're from another planet. 'Forced fun and if you attend you're a d!ck,' and 'I have to spend all day with them as it is.'

For the most part, they probably have similar ambitions and frustrations as you with the job. Going on a night out with them is not agreeing to participate in some secret club, or all of a sudden change your work dynamic. It can be a bit of craic, or you could also end up stuck beside some boring fcuker who wont stop talking shop. I'm of the opinion that a night out is what you make it anyway. But the way some people are talking here, you'd swear they were teenagers being forced to go on a night out with their teachers

Indeed, I'm sure a good psychologist would have a field day in here with all of us :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I usually go to work socials when I had a job.

As I got older I use to drink moderately and eat heartily because I was lucky to have employers who were generous enough with food and stuff.

I do all my heavy drinking alone or with non work friends. Its just too risky otherwise.

It is important not to let yourself look like an intoxicated twit when going to work socials.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Karsini wrote: »
    Yes, we're pretty much obliged to, or else you're ostracised.

Yep, or if you do go but leave after a couple of hours you're ostracised. Or if you go but don't dance you're ostracised. Or if go but get pissed after a few drinks you're ostracised. Try to shift the new secretary? Yep you guessed it - ostracised. Can't fcuking win. :pac:

Although a lot of people don't bother in my job anymore. I'd say about 90% of the staff used to attend the Christmas party whereas now its only about 50%. I never liked them so I won't be going.

• Advertisement

would i have a few pints and dance to music with my boss in the same room? Christ no with a capital NO. Its not the same as your mates you cant just cut loose and be yourself.

This. I just wouldn't be comfortable. Even seeing my boss in Tesco while doing my shopping is awkward enough, never mind fecking dancing in front of him. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

Nope. vicarious liability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

....... wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

In fairness, I think Nox has a PhD and I don’t get the impression it’s in some “soft science” field.

For any of you getting the auld knickers in a twist about my "managerial skills" I am not a manager and I don't have hiring or firing powers. So all can rest easy in their beds tonight :p

Well, you gave a hypothetical of what you would do as a manager - is nobody supposed to comment on that hypothetical? :confused:

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Well, you gave a hypothetical of what you would do as a manager - is nobody supposed to comment on that hypothetical? :confused:

I was joking Dara. People can comment on whatever they like :)

• Advertisement

LirW wrote: »
    It makes a huge difference though if you're in a small company where you're like 10 people or a multinational where your department alone can be 40 or 50 people.

Exactly.

As I said, there'll be 5 at ours. 4 I've worked with for over 10 years. We've been at each others weddings, christenings, family funerals, other nights out, even house parties. Why wouldn't we go to a Christmas party together?

My wife works in a very large company, the dynamics are very different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

....... wrote: »

I know, I’ve never worked in any company where heavy drinking helps you get ahead. Kinda sounds like one or more of his bosses is a dipso.

Yeah that's another thing. If you don't get up and dance at some stage you're as dry as an African footpath. I see people forcing themselves to do it or else they're been dragged up by someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭Grueller

I might go if its in Ballyraggett.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Defo its always a blast.

If you cant go out with your work mates and have a good night you're in the wrong team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

I'm not working all weekend so I'm going to get flithered.

Haven't heard the word flithered in years! Thanks for reminding me, going to start using that one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Patww79 wrote: »

That's fair enough. Company cultures differ. Ours leans towards being pally.

Its one thing if you're well looked after I suppose. We don't get a free bar or even a Christmas bonus. The only bar we get is a Mars bar and thats likely to be out of date. One time I got an out of date bag of granola, no joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Yes. Ours is usually a fancy sit down dinner in a top hotel (Fitzwilliam / Westbury / Shelbourne level) and there's no expense spared. I go for the pre-drinks, the dinner, and a few drinks after, but I head home when the music / dancing starts.

That's a good way to do it. I've been to ones which are large events in big function rooms, consisting of several companies at once. I went to one in the Burlington and the compare was Marty Whelan; it was torture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Haven't heard the word flithered in years! Thanks for reminding me, going to start using that one :D

Never heard that... have heard "fluthered" though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

No. Because we arnt having one. Love working in the Civil Service :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Yep.  We are doing the Rugby 7's in Dubai for our one.  We are over this neck of the woods and a close team so good craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

gazzer wrote: »
    No. Because we arnt having one. Love working in the Civil Service :):):)

I'm in the service too but we are having one, I won't go though cause I work with a load of Cúnts

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Yeah that's another thing. If you don't get up and dance at some stage you're as dry as an African footpath. I see people forcing themselves to do it or else they're been dragged up by someone else.

It's easier for some people to get up and dance. All you're doing is shuffling from side-to-side rather than forced conversation with some colleagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Ours is always very enjoyable.
    Nice lunch in a Dublin city centre restaurant on a Friday. Paid for by the company and then off to a bar afterwards. Some people might head off after the meal, others after a few drinks and some in the early hours of the morning.
    To be fair, the vast majority of the office get on with each other so it's always a pleasant afternoon/evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

That's also one I consider strange but hear a lot: Company parties that include a meal but in fact you have to pay for it yourself. I mean, I fully understand that the company won't pay for a pish up that will go down in history but it's odd for a company to plan big events sometimes with meal, venue hire and it comes close to a wedding but people are not only expected to attend but have to pay for it.

In the last company I've worked (small one) the owners paid because they could offset the event against tax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Always a nice evening. Last year someone phoned in sick the day of the party, but I had the afternoon off and spotted her in Grafton st only a few hours before the party, so I can understand some people think up excuses to get off going.

Advertisement