Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to your work Christmas party?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

JimPa wrote: »
    So many people dread the thoughts of it!?

I know the few who won't turn up to ours and while they'd be very welcome, to be honest they won't be missed at all. I'm sure they'll sit at home and grumble. The vast majority of the office will show up and make a good time of it. All good, normal people. Mostly. :pac:

Eh, i'm sure they won't. Believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I go to mine every year. Large company (I'm there 20+ years); the department I'm in has about 30 staff - most people will attend. I usually enjoy it and really don't get this hatred of co-workers. Some are pricks, some are sound, others have become friends. I'd never automatically not be friendly or sociable with somebody just because I work with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭JimPa

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Eh, i'm sure they won't. Believe me.

Believe you why? I know offices and I know the types.

People who work in 20, 30 or 40+ groups and call them all odd! Eh, right yeah. It's all of them. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Not a chance. Its incredibly awkward and false to be spending hours necking drinks and making small talk with people you dont even like. I went for the first few years just for show until i made the decision not to go purely for my own comfort.
    Ive never ever understood the need to mix work and pleasure. I mean, on a dancefloor with your fcuking boss?? Having to watch what you say all night because you cant cut loose. Workmates are not your mates. I seem to be in the minority when i say its weird to mix with your boss but that remains my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭picturehangup

No. Quite like most of my colleagues, but see more than enough of them, all year round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I am going to go. Take 2 grams of coke. Stay up til 8am and try it on with the best looking girl in the office.

It's a tradition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Patww79 wrote: »
    A lot of places on the greater outskirts of Dublin go into the city for their party, and you can't get a taxi at the weekend for love nor money in December.
    That's Dublin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

They normally schedule our Christmas party for when I'm working nights, so no, I don't go.

But to be fair to them, I never went anyway, and wouldn't go, so it's better that I be on nights than someone who might not be antisocial and want to attend.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,252 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Nope. Last time I went was 15 years ago. I live 20 miles away so it'll mean €70 or more on Taxis or an overnighter & risk getting breathalysed in the morning. But I could drive & drink minerals or whatever while everyone else gets plssed! Hmmmmmm Don't think so :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

MadDog76 wrote: »
    I've never been more embarrassed for a poster upon reading his post than I am for you right now ........... you really should get out more. :o

That's the height of 'embarrassment' for you?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭elefant

This thread is making me appreciate my job more. I don't particularly want to be best buddies with my work colleagues outside of work, but I don't dread the thought spending time with them or hate the idea of spending money on a dinner together at Christmas.

Thankfully, I've never had a job where I've disliked my co-workers that much; it must make the day-to-day working life horrendous.

Threads like this remind me how lucky I got when I started for the company I'm with now. We go out for pints and a meal a couple of times a year with the boss and the Christmas party is free drink. Everyone is sound and it's great to get a chance to get properly drunk together as during the year we all have different commitments that stop it really happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Definitely going this year. I used to work in a very small unit and all we did was go for lunch then back to work. This year I'm working in a larger unit and the senior managers are doing a kitty for drinks. I've booked a local hotel so I can leave when I want as well, if I get fed up. (Which I won't if there's free booze.)

I don't bother with the social club 'do' which is huge.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Not going to the work one, never really got to them anymore but the Boards mods one I'll be all over. Free coke and hookers, who couldnt go to that like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭valoren

Our place has a black tie ball every Christmas at the same swanky hotel.
    A complete waste of time and money imo.
    That you have to wear black tie pisses me off immensely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Hot chocolate and whatever I'll cook for myself after the kids are in bed while himself is at his Christmas party.

Stay at home parent here

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

It's in London. And black tie. So no, don't think I will go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Small affair, restaurant & a few drinks, end of. ..

Goodnight.

Not a chance. Its incredibly awkward and false to be spending hours necking drinks and making small talk with people you dont even like. I went for the first few years just for show until i made the decision not to go purely for my own comfort.
    Ive never ever understood the need to mix work and pleasure. I mean, on a dancefloor with your fcuking boss?? Having to watch what you say all night because you cant cut loose. Workmates are not your mates. I seem to be in the minority when i say its weird to mix with your boss but that remains my view.

I'd be on the totally opposite side. I'm out nearly every week for pints with people from from work (I consider some of my work colleagues as very good friends). In fact I'm out more with friends from work than my friends form outside work, even call to each others houses, go on weekends away as a group etc etc.

I'd hate to be working in a place that I didn't have the craic with people hand have a regular social scene. This coming weekend for example I'll be out fri, sat and sun with people from work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Hospital Christmas party. Buffet meal in a hotel with band and DJ.

I'm looking forward to it. People are great craic with a bit of drink on them and ya talk to people you only see in passing at work.

I'm not working all weekend so I'm going to get flithered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I'd be on the totally opposite side. I'm out nearly every week for pints with people from from work (I consider some of my work colleagues as very good friends). In fact I'm out more with friends from work than my friends form outside work, even call to each others houses, go on weekends away as a group etc etc.

I'd hate to be working in a place that I didn't have the craic with people hand have a regular social scene. This coming weekend for example I'll be out fri, sat and sun with people from work.

3 nights out on the trot? The work toilets will be a hazard zone Monday morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭elefant

3 nights out on the trot? The work toilets will be a hazard zone Monday morning!

Any good pintman knows that three nights on the trot makes for a day with the trots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

elefant wrote: »
    Thankfully, I've never had a job where I've disliked my co-workers that much; it must make the day-to-day working life horrendous.

Agreed.

While you don't have to best friends with everybody, I'm tempted myself to think if somebody has such a blanket dislike of everybody in a workplace, it says more about them than their colleagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Depends on what they organise -

Hotel with formal sit down meal - not a chance i will attend - went last year and food was mediocre, band was dire and bar service terrible.

Good bar with a sectioned off area with good quality finger food - i will go alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

No. Only because I am working the day of, and the day after.

Will be more than nights out :D, Friday from about 4pm, all day Saturday and early enough start Sunday too. Its a bank holiday so might be a few monday afternoon even. It's Tuesday the toilets will be under pressure ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Will be more than nights out :D, Friday from about 4pm, all day Saturday and early enough start Sunday too. Its a bank holiday so might be a few monday afternoon even. It's Tuesday the toilets will be under pressure ;)

G'way outta that. We know by now you gleefully tell us these extravagant stories for the shock value.

Like me, you'll be sipping warm milk by 9 o'clock on Friday with a couple of custard doughnuts, like real men.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    G'way outta that. We know by now you gleefully tell us these extravagant stories for the shock value.

Like me, you'll be sipping warm milk by 9 o'clock on Friday with a couple of custard doughnuts, like real men.

No chance, Oct bank holiday weekend is always a big session weekend for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Good God!

That's a serious session. I presume you break it up. There's no way you could drink solidly throughout that. How many pints are we talking?

Advertisement