Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASTI Ballot results **SEE MOD ANNOUNCEMENT IN LAST POST***

Options
  • 20-10-2017 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭

The ballot closed this evening, will we get a result tonight?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Icsics wrote: »
    The ballot closed this evening, will we get a result tonight?

It'll be Monday I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Monday May be too early even

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Would ye call it?

Our INTO CEC rep said that our(INTO) strategy going forward depends on all three unions displaying a united front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Would ye call it?

Our INTO CEC rep said that our(INTO) strategy going forward depends on all three unions displaying a united front.

My school was a firm Yes anyway.

ill go 60% No vote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ccazza

Ballot results will be out Monday. I asked the union today. “the ballot count is on Monday and we would expect to have the result on Monday evening at the latest.”

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Would ye call it?

A united front from INTO? Same union that converted a no to a yes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭acequion

Any idea what time tomorrow we can expect a result?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

acequion wrote: »
    Any idea what time tomorrow we can expect a result?

Tween 2-3 pm, which means Irish times have it now lol

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭jonseyblub

Rejected 51.5 to 48.5%

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

No it is then!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Wow tight as a ducks arse that vote was. Basically 4decent sized schools the difference. But NO means NO.

No means vote again

Anyone got the head count?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 rossean

64% turnout.

THANK GOD! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Nellieelephant

Whoop whoop!!! Fair play- proud!

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭picturehangup

Vote much too close for my liking.
    They will probably make us vote again, until we come up with the 'right' answer.
    I am and always have been a firm and unrelenting 'no' vote. Next thing is CPD. How much are we doing? Seems like many principals are currently gathering info on the number of hours undertaken by each and every staff member. Another thread for another day.

The nay sayers are at the usual pessimism saying that the margin is tiny, that it won't make a difference and yada yada.

But I think this result is hugely significant. It means that despite all the hopelessness and negativity the No half of the union is still on top. Despite the judas special convention the No half is still on top. And despite wobbles from TUI and INTO the No half is still on top. Only barely but still a majority.

It means that now there is a real chance that the three teachers union can force the Govt's hand. It also means that we chose solidarity with our sister unions rather than sell them and the NQTs down the river. It is up to us now to make sure that we don't waste this chance and I'm so very thankful that the members agreed to this chance.

How very different it would be this evening if the Yes half had won! The nay sayers should think about that and be a bit more optimistic for once.

Yes votes: 5,232

No votes: 5,558

Turnout: 64%

• Advertisement

Vote much too close for my liking.
    They will probably make us vote again, until we come up with the 'right' answer.
    I am and always have been a firm and unrelenting 'no' vote. Next thing is CPD. How much are we doing? Seems like many principals are currently gathering info on the number of hours undertaken by each and every staff member. Another thread for another day.

You might be interested in this one if you want to kick off another thread.

Mr Bruton told delegates at the NAPD conference they should be given greater autonomy on deciding the kind of continuous professional development their teachers should undergo in the coming years.

The Department of Education spends around €100m a year to cover teacher absences on a range of training programmes, but he said 85% of the courses are dictated by the department or other education agencies.

“Really, the centre of gravity has to be changed, where...leaders within schools identify the direction of travel. They should be shaping the types of professional support that their staff are getting to achieve [their schools’] goals,” he said.

“Of course, as we go down this road of greater trust, greater autonomy, greater devolution, it will put a stronger focus on the need for governance and accountability.”
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/applying-for-several-schools-slammed-461328.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Wow tight as a ducks arse that vote was. Basically 4decent sized schools the difference. But NO means NO.
    You'd have to wonder if the anti democracy gang will go looking for a special congress again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

So delighted with this outcome today. Was dreading looking up result in case it was a Yes. Narrow margin but that's all that is needed.

Here's hoping that something comes of all 3 unions singing from the same hymn sheet, for now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Sir123

Hi all, I'm back and delightful to hear this result. As others have said, it is great to see all teacher unions standing united together.

Well done to you all that stuck by CEC's NO recommendation. I am proud of you all.

Really hope that the top brass in all three unions have been having behind the scene talks in anticipation of this result and can provide some sort of a united strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

Well The INTO top brass have chosen to ignore the 89% of membership who voted against the deal so I wouldn't be optimistic .ASTI myself and shocked at margin of win .Dirty tricks by government with lock out and dismissal( " removed from the payroll") threat last time round has broken the will of many .With latest stats saying almost half of under 30s are on non standard (zero hours ) contracts if we don't fight soon what have our children and younger colleagues got to look forward to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

2011abc wrote: »
    Well The INTO top brass have chosen to ignore the 89% of membership who voted against the deal so I wouldn't be optimistic .ASTI myself and shocked at margin of win .Dirty tricks by government with lock out and dismissal( " removed from the payroll") threat last time round has broken the will of many .With latest stats saying almost half of under 30s are on non standard (zero hours ) contracts if we don't fight soon what have our children and younger colleagues got to look forward to ?

Have you a source for that stat? It seems very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

Figures of 46 and 47% quoted by SIPTU official from recent surveys on Matt Cooper radio show this evening .

• Registered Users Posts: 48,141 ✭✭✭✭km79

Hoping for a clear strategy to be outlined over the next few days .
    Wait and see is not an option

• Advertisement

Have you a source for that stat? It seems very high.

Result is from a vote back in June. Available on the INTO website.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement