Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brian : Orange Wind Warning Sat 21 -10-17

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

ASCAT WINDS around midnight showed 60-knot vectors in the south. Waves of 33 ft

431084.png

431083.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

ARPEGE usually handles things adequately but can be a little OTT 

Showing gusts just exceeding 110kph at the coast along some southwestern coastal fringes...

arpegeuk-52-42-0.png?20-06

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

These guys (severeweather.eu) need to shut up a bit more often tbh. I saw their so called sting jet tweet dozens of times during Ophelia, there was no instance of one actually recorded though...

I can't see that banded cloud head they're referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭decies

Right it’s easy for non weather people to get lost in charts and the like and boards mobile not great to look at images but just wondering how dangerous for driving is this storm I want to know . Am visiting Waterford today and need to get to south tipp by about noon Saturday, would it be better to bail out later this afternoon or would leaving it till around 11am Saturday cause unnecessary risk ? Thank you .

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jumpjack

Kalyke wrote: »
    A little bit off topic, sorry mods,

But could those without electricity tell us what they wish they had prepared for, and what they miss most with no power. We know the obvious things, but real time experience might help others in another event.
    Candle powered Internet would be sweet..:D
    Look for "Portable Thermoelectric Generator for Camping" or "KettleCharge 10 Watt Generator" on Amazon...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some wet and windy weather today as the first fronts from the filling Storm move in over Ireland. Blustery day in store tomorrow with squally showers. Strongest winds on coastal counties .Winds have been downgrading a tad . Look like getting the strongest winds tomorrow morning into the early afternoon probably topping 100 -110 km/h on the coastal fringes, 80-90 km/h gusts inland possible. Combination of wind and rain giving a rough day I would think.

lLGbE0I.png?1

nmm_uk1-11-15-4_sxx6.png

nmm_uk1-25-17-4_ife1.png

Gusts

tempresult_izi5.gif

Gusts

tempresult_dsw4.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭susie05

Hi guys
    Iv been following u with interest
    Looking for advice really
    We are due to fly back to dublin airport Saturday evening at 11pm from malaga in order for us too get back the outgoing leg would be due too leave dublin at 6.30pm
    How likey is it flights in and out off dublin will be cancelled
    I will sh*t myself stuck in spain with 2 kids having panic attacks already
    Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I see only upgrades for the southwest
    It was always a local event and storm force tomorrow morning is what I see for Kerry/ Cork.
    Disruptive again for here

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

susie05 wrote: »
    Hi guys
    Iv been following u with interest
    Looking for advice really
    We are due to fly back to dublin airport Saturday evening at 11pm from malaga in order for us too get back the outgoing leg would be due too leave dublin at 6.30pm
    How likey is it flights in and out off dublin will be cancelled
    I will sh*t myself stuck in spain with 2 kids having panic attacks already
    Many thanks

This has been answered more times than I'd like to admit! Maybe we should have a separate thread, or point people to the aviation forum?

I personally don't foresee disruption. A cancellation is very very unlikely in my opinion. We cannot be sure until the TAF comes out this evening, but it's very unlikely in my opinion for any real disruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

decies wrote: »
    Right it’s easy for non weather people to get lost in charts and the like and boards mobile not great to look at images but just wondering how dangerous for driving is this storm I want to know . Am visiting Waterford today and need to get to south tipp by about noon Saturday, would it be better to bail out later this afternoon or would leaving it till around 11am Saturday cause unnecessary risk ? Thank you .

Imo the biggest danger will be localised flooding of roads. The Southwest has already experienced very heavy rainfall in many areas. Keep an ear / eye out for report from the like of AA Roadwatch for reports see: https://www.theaa.ie/roadwatch/newsroom/ (AA tweets are also a good info source imo) and Met Eireann advisories.

• Advertisement

These guys (severeweather.eu) need to shut up a bit more often tbh. I saw their so called sting jet tweet dozens of times during Ophelia, there was no instance of one actually recorded though...

I can't see that banded cloud head they're referring to.

I think they're right, though. It did look like a sting jet with Ophelia and it does look like one is occuring with Brian too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Asal beag dubh

The old adages in advance of a storm definitely apply in Galway this morning. Beautiful red sky going to work and dead calm at the moment. I'm incapable of adding any more advanced meteorological observations than that. Adding my thanks to the experts who make this thread so interesting and enjoyably esoteric.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jumpjack

it's becoming very hard to follow a thread which changes title once or twice a day.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

jumpjack wrote: »
    it's becoming very hard to follow a thread which changes title once or twice a day.

I'll have a word with Brian and ask him to make up his mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The thread title is changing less often than the forecasts, so how do you think meteorologists feel?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I see only upgrades for the southwest
    It was always a local event and storm force tomorrow morning is what I see for Kerry/ Cork.
    Disruptive again for here

It has moved further north but don't see winds as being too severe save for coastal areas.

I'd be worried about more rain and flooding down here than wind in Cork given yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Your capability to cope with a seven word title and a simple change of colour makes it more of your problem than ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭weisses

I think they're right, though. It did look like a sting jet with Ophelia and it does look like one is occuring with Brian too.

Far out into the Atlantic you mean ? ... conditions for it to happen over Ireland are not there

weisses wrote: »
    Far out into the Atlantic you mean ? ... conditions for it to happen over Ireland are not there

Correct, out in the Atlantic. It will be filling as it arrives here tonight.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

But wont it weaken significantly before it hits Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭weisses

Drumpot wrote: »
    But wont it weaken significantly before it hits Ireland ?

yes AFAIK It will have peaked before reaching Our shores

http://www.severe-weather.eu/mcd/update-on-approaching-storm-brian-windy-weather-ahead-for-ireland-and-parts-of-uk/

Yes, as weisses said that is probably peak, weakening as it aproaches our shores.

Latest GFS showing gusts on the coasts up to 100 / 110 km//h .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭squarecircles

When will met eireann downgrade the orange warning I wonder,as they suggest gusts up to 130 kmh,local radio forecast mentions only a coastal gale tomorrow in Mayo,not sure how that merits an orange warning.

Latest ARPEGE showing early morning gusts of 110 / 120 km/h gusts along SW, S , SE coasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

where will get the worst of this,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭Macy0161

colm18 wrote: »
    I'll have a word with Brian and ask him to make up his mind.
    He's not a big storm, he's just a very naughty boy...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭pad199207

Brian is certainly one for the cameras anyways, looking stunning on Sat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭decies

Have the gusts warning from met eireann got worse then ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Current satellite:

S5nJeb2.gif

Advertisement