Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"White people most violent and oppressive"

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Well, if you look at North and South America, Australia, large parts of Africa as well as India, all were colonised by white, Europeans folks. English, Spanish, Portugese, Dutch, French, German, to name but a few.
    All this was acompanied by the native population being marginalised and pushed aside.
    There is no denying that. It's just a fact. We can make clever arguments around that or try and whitewash it (no pun intended), rationalise it, deny it, there simply is no denying the very fact.
    The Irish were even victims of it, courtesy of your neighbours.
    The issue is, we must move past this, we can't be held responsible for the actions of our ancestors. So much trouble in the world happens because people are unable to move past historical events that never happened to them personally or were perpetrated by people centuries dead.
    And you know well what I'm talking about, because the howls of "700 years!!!" pipe up from some people as soon as anyone suggests the Brits aren't so bad and havent't invaded anyone in ages actually.

edit:
    I do not agree with Ms Bergdorf. I strongly disagree that here is an inherent, ingrained, widespread, institutional racism and that this racism is present in all members of society. She is using the above outlined historical facts to stir up some white priviledge guilt for reasons that aren't entirely clear to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

grahambo wrote: »
    Completely disagree with that.

History would dictate that, Whites (Europeans) and Asians are the most cooperative, hence the reason nearly every major European and Asian power has conquered or attempted to conquer most of their known world.

British Empire
    French Empire
    Spanish Empire
    Mongol Empire
    Qing Dynasty
    Nazis
    Roman Empire
    Alexander the beedlin deadly
    etc etc.

The list goes on an on.

The gained vast amounts of territory as the people the conquered were to busy fighting themselves.

Also to note:
    The first Slavers were black. Slavery is something that originated in central Africa, and was adapted and used by whites to a much larger degree (They effectively commercialized it)

The thing is though she is saying that the white race IS the most violent and oppressive force on Earth, not WAS.

At least historically you could look at conquering forces etc and say well some of the stuff that happened was pretty bad.

Most sane people will understand that history cannot be undone and it makes very little sense to hold people accountable for the actions of their parents/grandparents/great grandparents etc.

To be honest, if I was in the pub with my German friends and someone came over to aggressively get on their case about WW2 my initial reaction would be anger towards that person for even bringing something like that up.

It certainly wouldn't occur to me to say "well maybe you Germans should apologize and feel bad about what your countrymen did all those years ago".

To hold grudges against a race of people today for something their ancestors did long ago seems like the most stereotypical, ignorant, stupid, racism.

If the argument is that the white race are the most violent and oppressive in the world TODAY then I have to wonder about the motivations of the person who would even bring that up. Lots of violence is being done by people from all races.

It feels like this is more of a ploy to stoke up racism from white supremacy/nationalist groups so they can say "see! we told you!".

It's getting to the point where a sure sign that someone is a racist is the fact that they are constantly writing internet articles pointing out the failings of another race.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

While it is a blanket genenalisation- I can't disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Pac1Man wrote: »
    G'wan the whites.
    Tis time to colonize Antarctica.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

She is a cretin. She should probably get off the internet which a tool of white violence and oppression.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

While it is a blanket genenalisation- I can't disagree.

For people who agree can you break whites in their ethnicities and most them in order of most violent and oppressive.

I believe in Procreative Racial Deconstruction.

We just gotta keep f*cking until we're all the same colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Bit sick of the constant attacks on white men from all over the place tbh. The constant narrative of us all being potential racists or sexual predators is pathetic.

ahhh. Poor you. Have you considered therapy? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Now. I don't know how to put this really without it being taken up badly....but....

Does she not look like a white person with a tan and dreads?

Looks mixed race to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Maybe she was referring to the state of Kildare football under Nordie management?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Wouldn't happen, people don't move around enough to homogenize to that extent.

Not to mention no one is choosing to move to the third world so they'll continue as is.

We would end up with left handed/ dyslexic/ vegan plutocrats.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Varik wrote: »
    Wouldn't happen, people don't move around enough to homogenize to that extent.

Not to mention no one is choosing to move to the third world so they'll continue as is.

10 generations back you will have 1024 great great ...... great grandparents.

(Unless you are from Offaly, in which case the average number would be 7)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Yeh that makes sense and explains why countries that are mostly white are some of the most peaceful countries on earth with lowest crime rates and have the highest levels of social equality in the world.

Also most of the poeple at anti racism rallies or whatever are mostly white people. Racism isnt socially acceptable in almost any of western societies
    The white people are racist meme is just so pathetic and tiresome at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Oddly enough, Most races that were Enslaved were not the original occupants of those countries/States/Islands.

grahambo wrote: »
    The first Slavers were black. Slavery is something that originated in central Africa, and was adapted and used by whites to a much larger degree (They effectively commercialized it)

When was that? I'm not saying that slaves didn't exist in Africa I'm just thinking they existed in Roman, Greek Egyptian and probably even in Mesopotamia.

Grayson wrote: »
    ahhh. Poor you. Have you considered therapy? :pac:

Does the popularity of content like this not trouble you at all?

I keep trying to figure out what is going on with these kind of articles. Are they just perfectly valid criticism of white people? Or are they some kind of popularized racism?

I know if I had a friend who kept saying negative things about Chinese people then I'd be saying something to them and probably would end the friendship too.

Even if it was just "Chinese people talk to loud on the phone" and "Chinese are terrible drivers" if it happened often enough I'd be saying "OK, you need to stop".

It's just really, really, weird that you have a group of people who are constantly going on about "white people".

I wouldn't befriend someone who was always giving out about Jews or Muslims or whatever because it's a sure sign that they are a bit of a d!ckhead. They aren't getting mainstream coverage on the BBC.

I'd be pretty horrified if the BBC published content that asked "Are Muslims the biggest threat to British society since the Nazis?" and I'd expect most sensible people to be disgusted and outraged.

"The white race is the most violent and oppressive force of nature on Earth"

Replace white with any other ethnicity there and we are talking potential hate crime.

Replace white with any other ethnicity there and I am thinking the speaker is a neo-nazi or white supremacist who needs a very, VERY, stern talking to.

This should not be promoted by the BBC and it's kind of concerning that it is.

I don't think it's necessarily offensive but something doesn't feel right about this at all.

How far would they be able to push it before you would say "enough is enough"?

Saruhashi wrote: »
    "The white race is the most violent and oppressive force of nature on Earth"

Replace white with any other ethnicity there and we are talking potential hate crime.

If we look at the numbers killed by a particular race then I'm pretty certain that white people would be at the top. From world wars to colonisation, they've got the record. If we even just look at the post war period, most wars were proxy wars between the USSR and the US.

I don't believe that a white person is any more inherently violent than a person of any other race. But I would say that white people are responsible for a fcuk load of misery in the world. Both can be accurate and don't contradict each other.

• Advertisement

If we look at the numbers killed by a particular race then I'm pretty certain that white people would be at the top. From world wars to colonisation, they've got the record. If we even just look at the post war period, most wars were proxy wars between the USSR and the US.

I don't believe that a white person is any more inherently violent than a person of any other race. But I would say that white people are responsible for a fcuk load of misery in the world. Both can be accurate and don't contradict each other.

Genghis Khan and Mao would give any pale face a run for their money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

So it would be accurate to say that you think Germans, Russians, White Americans and Anglos are the most violent people in the world?

Seems churlish to blame the Greeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Human Beings are the same everywhere. Good and Bad.

A French person or an English person doesn't have an evil gene that is
    not present in a sub Saharan African.

Europeans (white) have by and large always had more advanced technology and civilisation and access to greater resources. Being stronger they often (not always) misused that advantage against peoples in other regions.

If the shoe was on the other foot and those peoples were stronger then Europeans would have been on the receiving end.

You can see these interactions everyday of the week, the strong taking advantage of the weak, on a micro level - in the workplace, in the community etc. And you see it at a world level. You also see at least as often the advantaged giving the disadvantaged a foot up. That's the better side of humanity.

The negative approach adopted by some campaigners in ceaselessly depicting whites or males as intrinsically wrong or bad is a strategy that
    will ultimately be counter productive. You can go a certain distance through guilting people but eventually that wears out and you're going to get a kick back.

When was that? I'm not saying that slaves didn't exist in Africa I'm just thinking they existed in Roman, Greek Egyptian and probably even in Mesopotamia.

I think almost every single major society before the industrial revolution was engaged in slavery to a large degree and some form of slavery exists pretty much everywhere today through various aspects of human trafficking.

I absolutely hate the focus on race here because if you look at the countries with the highest rates of slavery right now in 2017 then you have to say that it isn't "white" countries that are the worst. That makes you sound like some kind of white supremacist though.

Same if you want to look at the treatment of minority groups all over the world. I'm not sure that I'd want to be part of a minority group anywhere outside of "white" countries. Even so, non-white people living in predominantly white countries do not have the easiest time and a lot of that is indeed down to racist attitudes.

If we even just look at the post war period, most wars were proxy wars between the USSR and the US.

Genuine question....is that true or is it just that those are the ones that we care or hear about? I'm sure that there are hundreds of wars that we don't know about.

And even the ones where they became involved on opposite sides, there is cause and effect at play. Did they drive the conflict or get involved by picking a side to prevent the country moving over to the rival "system".

"White people" just had a technological advantage from the late middle ages onwards. It wasn't that these other countries were saints or peace loving - they just lost.

The reconquista ended the same year that Columbus found America

I would say that white people are responsible for a fcuk load of misery in the world.

I am curious if you would confidently say the same publicly about other races?

I'd say just about every race is responsible for a load of misery so the statement would be accurate if you replace "white" with anything else.

I don't think you'd be bold enough to state it on Twitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

The Indian Cast system creates Legal Slavery,
    China has 1.1 billion people essentially Enslaved,
    African Chieftains had more slaves than anyone else ( Where do you think White people Bought slaves from?)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

6541 wrote: »
    Where do Irish people fall into this, the red, freckled, toothless, drunken crazed folk that we are !

Their whiteness was certainly questioned by the WASPS on the east coast when they first started arriving. They were viewed as being distinctively different.

Early Italians got the same treatment. There was even a few cases of Italians being lynched down south.

Being Catholic of course was another affront to the WASPS. They didn't want no Roman Church gaining influence in the States.

If we look at the numbers killed by a particular race then I'm pretty certain that white people would be at the top.

Even if this is true does it justify the popularity of these kind of articles?

I don't want to say "anti-white" articles because it sounds like an alt-right talking point but is there any possibility at all that some of these writers simply hate white people?

Like I said, I find people who bring up "the war" around German people to be unpleasant. It seems like such a petty and hateful and bitter way to be. So why would this be any different?

How can white people realistically respond to the accusation that they are the most violent and oppressive force in nature? What can you do when someone comes at you with a laundry list of "White People Crimes"? Grovelling apology? Beg for forgiveness? Donate money?

It feels like it actually somehow causes more racism and resentment between various groups.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

How can she not be considered racist, I really don't understand.

Advertisement