Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"White people most violent and oppressive"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

For some reason, Labour are ignoring the reasons why Miliband was hammered at the last election.

They also overstimate Corbyn's popularity as well - if Corbyn were going to become Prime Minister, it would have been at the last snap election when May was figuratively on her knees.

He couldn't beat a lame duck Prime Minister then. And he won't beat her successor.

?

She was way ahead in the polls then. That’s literally why she called the snap election.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

For some reason, Labour are ignoring the reasons why Miliband was hammered at the last election.

They also overstimate Corbyn's popularity as well - if Corbyn were going to become Prime Minister, it would have been at the last snap election when May was figuratively on her knees.

He couldn't beat a lame duck Prime Minister then. And he won't beat her successor.

It depends who they pick tbh.

If they run to the centre and pick someone with decent charisma like Davidson Corbyn is ****ed.

However that seems unlikely, so looking at the betting, he could face bland politicians like Rudd, Leadsom or and what would be the dream scenario someone to the hard right of the party Jacob Rees Mogg who is the bookies favourite. Mogg or Johnson would be destroyed, the centre ground would desert the party and they would be doomed.

Corbyn is very flawed, but bar maybe Davidson, the alternatives to May are absolutely dreadful.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

The guy craves attention, wouldn’t pass any remarks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

As long as they keep opposing Tory cuts (sic) and put forward good alternative policies, Labour's support will continue to rise. Most working class white people just aren't into the whole "oh woe is me, the bad black woman said something bad about white people, waaaahhh double standards waaaaahhh" nonsense that preoccupies some of the more easily offended and delicate little flowers on here. :)

There is a problem with your analysis, labour support hasn't continued to rise.
    There was a big jump against a incredibly poor Tory campaign and since then it's stuck around 40-43%, they should be consistently ahead at this point of the cycle.

Coming of the fact that one of their conferences was found to be discriminating against white males (I think even the equality watch dog considered it a breach) a narrative is being built about labour.

Even if your in favour of more identity politics can't you see how it's a screw up to gift the mail, telegraph and Sun headlines like this, there is a vast number of socially conscious people they could have chosen that haven't made statements like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

South African parliament has just voted to confiscate white owned land without compensation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭cycle4fun

backspin. wrote: »
    South African parliament has just voted to confiscate white owned land without compensation.

South Africa is going downhill just like Rhodesia / Zimbabwe did once it got "independence".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Africans were hammering the sh1te out of, exploiting and subjugating fellow Africans for 1,000s of years before whitey arrived.

Europeans were just better kitted out for it.

Now we have Chinese moving into Africa, we'll see how that goes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

backspin. wrote: »

Imagine that happening in Norn Iron.. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Africans were hammering the sh1te out of, exploiting and subjugating fellow Africans for 1,000s of years before whitey arrived.

Europeans were just better kitted out for it.

Now we have Chinese moving into Africa, we'll see how that goes...

I suppose at least Europeans did bring huge technological advancements to Africa. I wonder how sub saharan countries would have developed without such an influence.

cycle4fun wrote: »
    South Africa is going downhill just like Rhodesia / Zimbabwe did once it got "independence".

What fcked Zimbabwe was their the collapse of their massive agricultural industry. Farms were 'given' to people who knew nothing about agriculture and the former 'breadbasket of Africa' quickly turned into a dive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I suppose at least Europeans did bring huge technological advancements to Africa. I wonder how sub saharan countries would have developed without such an influence.

Not really. They brought technological advancements alright, but most Africans didn't benefit from it. To be honest, I would say SSA could not have fared much worse than they are now if they went without western technological influence.

On the flip side, I do think post-colonialism would have fared better if a more steady transition of power had taken place. Also, meddling by the USSR (and the US) during the cold war did not help matters either. Although in cases like Zaire, Mobutu Sese Seko is completely at fault. Had he not been so selfish*, DRC could now be a success story, instead it's a complete mess.

* Swindled billions for his own personal fortune. Estimated at 5 billion which would have made him one of the richest men in the world at the time. Nationalised foreign owned companies and took the spoils for himself, He also sold off Zaire's diamond, cobalt and copper to the west and pocketed that for himself too. While the country was starving he built a few ranches, imported a load of Mercedes Benz, rented a Concorde to fly to Paris for shopping trips, and he also owned properties in Europe and other African nations. That's not to go into what became of opposition politicians and various groups that tried to stand up to him.

Most of those advances were to facilitate extraction of resources (railways/river transport) or to facilitate Europeans living there (disease prevention, administration, public works, buildings), a mixed bag of benefit / non-benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Amusing to see some of the usual suspects moaning about this.

As for the title of the thread. Any group who has power will abuse it. That doesn't excuse that abuse, but to say any one group is more prone to it is of course silly.

Having said all that, the British have been especially bad about owning up the crap they have pulled, and have even actively tried to erase evidence of there wrong doing via project legacy, which imo goes beyond the type of denial we have seen committed by the Turkish and Japanese governments for there own past atrocities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

She's British. In any case, I've seen a lot of white women complain about "all whites being racist" and men being overly apologetic about sexism.

White men apologising for their privelege is new-age Catholic guilt.

She's not British and she never will be [and she clearly doesn't want to be]

Being British [and Irish] is more than just having a passport. She maybe a British citizen but she is not and never will be British. Same with the "New Irish" Varadkar and Coveney are trying to bring in with 2040 plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,020 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

JohnMc1 wrote: »

Being British [and Irish] is more than just having a passport. She maybe a British citizen but she is not and never will be British. Same with the "New Irish" Varadkar and Coveney are trying to bring in with 2040 plan.

She was born and brought up in Essex. That pretty much qualifies as British, factually speaking. Everything else is your opinion, which is not really relevant.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

mzungu wrote: »
    Nationalised foreign owned companies and took the spoils for himself, He also sold off Zaire's diamond, cobalt and copper to the west and pocketed that for himself too. While the country was starving he built a few ranches, imported a load of Mercedes Benz, rented a Concorde to fly to Paris for shopping trips, and he also owned properties in Europe and other African nations. That's not to go into what became of opposition politicians and various groups that tried to stand up to him.

Sounds very like Irish governments for the past 40 years.

What fcked Zimbabwe was their the collapse of their massive agricultural industry. Farms were 'given' to people who knew nothing about agriculture and the former 'breadbasket of Africa' quickly turned into a dive.

I'd say the killing of those educated by western institutions (the "intellectuals" or the skilled engineers) also contributed to it. They went a bit nuts removing the taint of capitalism from their country for the first few years before realising/caring that those people were the ones who were productive.

Most of those advances were to facilitate extraction of resources (railways/river transport) or to facilitate Europeans living there (disease prevention, administration, public works, buildings), a mixed bag of benefit / non-benefit.

More benefit (by default) for them. Tribalism and the traditional cultures didn't count for disease, waste disposal, etc. Superstition, and witchcraft were still strong influencers over peoples lives, and frankly, had little concern for their actual wellbeing. African superstitions were very harsh. Western practices and medicine increased the life expectancy, and there were more and more local people gaining the benefits of western education to be applied to the local population. Westernisation admittedly, but with a very African take on it.

My uncle was a Jesuit missionary to Zimbabwe prior to the power-change (he lived there for 15 years), teaching medicine at a company sponsored school for the locals. He taught medicine and surgical practices to locals. Prior to the change, he loved the country and the people. He went back around 10 years ago, and nearly all of his past students were killed in the months following the change-over. Skilled doctors and nurses. Killed because they were educated and removed from the "common" person.

Western technology was implemented to improve the gains of the state institutions, and the white settlers. But it was in their interests to improve the general status of the local population, to pull them away from the tribalism that plagued their societies. That tribalism, superstition, etc was/is far worse than the "imperialistic" attitudes.

No system is perfect, and the colonial system was seriously flawed. However, the alternative hasn't been any better.

wes wrote: »
    Having said all that, the British have been especially bad about owning up the crap they have pulled, and have even actively tried to erase evidence of there wrong doing via project legacy, which imo goes beyond the type of denial we have seen committed by the Turkish and Japanese governments for there own past atrocities.

Everyone tends to point to the British because their Empire was so large... but we tend to ignore the behavior of the other imperialistic nations. Belgium behaved horribly in their own colonies. France did the same, and in many ways, continued far longer than the others with Algeria. Then too there were the small colonies that Germany had where the locals were brutalized.

But then, it was a sign of the times. The belief in a racial superiority or superiority by culture.

However, I've traveled quite a bit in the last few years (Asia, Russia, and parts of Africa), and I've seen more of these other empires or countries out there. Just below the surface of most museum exhibits of the past, you can easily make out the ethnic superiority and the subsequent annihilation of other ethnic or cultural groups. In China, you have 56-57 Ethnic groups (I can never remember how many), but Han Chinese are the clear majority... The remainder are a minority because of ethnic cleansing over thousands of years. Even recently you can find enclaves in China where Koreans settled and had a majority population in the 50's but are now a clear minority. You can find similar stories in most asian countries. Where ethnic groups have been either violently removed, or "assimilated" (which can include all manner of techniques).

I do find this topic interesting simply because I find it ironic that we simply accept that western colonialism was awful. More awful than other countries histories... For the "Arabs"/Persians, we could point to the creation of a major slave trade before the Europeans really got involved. Or that African tribes themselves raided each other killing the young/old, and selling the remainder to each other or other peoples as slaves. (It's awfully convenient that Africans bear no responsibility for slaving their own kind, or even the mass genocides that nations like the Zulus committed). There are African tales going back thousands of years to the Egyptians coming for slaves, and killing off entire ranges to create a buffer. The Persians continued the practice after. We could look at the Mongols and the swathe of destruction that they created... or the Ming Dynasty who employed a scorched earth policy "near" their borders killing anyone that came near. The Thai's have similar histories.

Fact is, western culture is an easy target because "we've" encouraged the belief in accountability. The belief in a higher standard that is applied to us... and yet, somehow that standard doesn't need to be applied to other nations histories/behavior. And it should. Other nations should have to face up to the brutal realities of their past and judge themselves by the same standards that they judge us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I'm a member of Momentum and a supporter of Jeremy Corbyn and I think Munroe Bergdorf is a f*cking dope. The ironic thing is that a lot of feminist and anti-racist thinking has huge relevance in today's Britain, but any legitimate point she has gets completely lost in the stupid and inaccurate generalisations she insists on making. She's after coming out recently and saying all the suffragettes were white supremacists and that black women were barred from voting in the UK - something that is completely untrue on both counts. The fact is that she's a bit of a muppet prone to talking simplistic, absolutist sh*te in a highly aggressive and patronising manner and people need to stop indulging her nonsense.

People will vote for Labour because it offers answers on things like high-energy bills, selling off the NHS, renationalising the railways, wage equality and housing. They won't flock to Labour because some f*cking model from London starts screaming at some lad driving a van in Grimsby for £10 an hour that he's a privileged racist attached to the power structure as if he was Elon Musk or something.

Absolute pain in the arse and I wish Labour would stop shooting itself in the foot constantly like this or we'll end up with the other c*nts again.

• Advertisement

JohnMc1 wrote: »

Load of bigoted rubbish. So was Phil Lynott not Irish now?

Fact is, western culture is an easy target because "we've" encouraged the belief in accountability. The belief in a higher standard that is applied to us... and yet, somehow that standard doesn't need to be applied to other nations histories/behavior. And it should. Other nations should have to face up to the brutal realities of their past and judge themselves by the same standards that they judge us.

In the post you quoted I also bring up the Turks and Japanese denial of historical crimes. I was making a narrow point about people covering up there crimes and pointed to the Brits being the worse of the bunch, when it comes to that in regards to project legacy. Sorry, but you seemed to have completely missed the point I was getting at and ignored that I didn't actually single out "Western" countries, far from it, 2 out of my 3 example are not "Western" countries.

The fact is that the Brits haven't faced up to there past and actively tried to cover up there crimes. As I said earlier there not the only ones to do so, there just the best at it.

Also, lumping all "Western" countries in together doesn't make sense on this issue, some countries have owned up to there past and others have not. What you claim as a consistent value is nothing of the sort. The Brits are rather proud of there murderous empire (of which Ireland was a victim of), where as Germany owns up to many of there crimes.

I honestly don't think you even read what I said, as my point was about Britain and not the "West".

In the post you quoted I also bring up the Turks and Japanese denial of historical crimes. I was making a narrow point about people covering up there crimes and pointed to the Brits being the worse of the bunch, when it comes to that in regards to project legacy. Sorry, but you seemed to have completely missed the point I was getting at and ignored that I didn't actually single out "Western" countries, far from it, 2 out of my 3 example are not "Western" countries.

The fact is that the Brits haven't faced up to there past and actively tried to cover up there crimes. As I said earlier there not the only ones to do so, there just the best at it.

The funny thing is that every year it's in the media over here about Japan glossing over their antics in WW2 but the Brits are as bad if not far worse at muddying the waters regarding their history and the reality of how their Empire was built. I watched an hour long documentary about the East India Company the other day on the BBC and they entirely obfuscated the absolute devastation they wreaked on India. Britain has in no way faced up to its colonial past and many are still trying to portray their system of global looting and murder as some sort of complex cultural exchange by which all benefited.

I love the Brits as a people, but they're largely a pain in the arse when it comes to this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Everyone tends to point to the British because their Empire was so large... but we tend to ignore the behavior of the other imperialistic nations. Belgium behaved horribly in their own colonies..

True and not widely known. Ironic that our imperial masters the British insisted we rush to help them in WWI ("in defence of small nations" as John Redmond put it).

WWI-recruitment-poster1.jpg

Some horrible atrocities done down in Africa in the name of Belgium.

Sorry. I suppose I should have said I wasn't arguing against your post.

Thought it was clear enough when I didn't take it apart (which is my usual style of posting, although I'm happy to start now.).

Who has faced up to their past?

Japan has apologised for its acts towards the Chinese before/during WW2, but that apology excludes certain things too. It also doesn't apologise for two failed invasions hundreds of years before, or the treatment of Chinese immigrants within Japanese territory up to the 70s/80s. [The flip side, no apology by China for the killing of Japanese civilians in China after Japanese military forces were defeated]

The US? It acknowledges some of what it did to the American Indians, but heaps of history is still layered with propaganda and hollywood scripts.

I can't think of any country that has faced up to its past and made an honest account of themselves.
    Also, lumping all "Western" countries in together doesn't make sense on this issue, some countries have owned up to there past and others have not.

Okie Dokie. Who has owned up to their past?
    What you claim as a consistent value is nothing of the sort. The Brits are rather proud of there murderous empire (of which Ireland was a victim of), where as Germany owns up to many of there crimes.

Germany was forced to face their crimes through 60 years of reinforced propaganda from the allied countries. It's education, media, etc were all forced to highlight the terrible behavior of the German people... and educational institutions outside of Germany all placed a rather heavy emphasis on German Atrocities.

Not so much emphasis on the firebombing of Dresden, the massacres of German navy personnel in the water, the POW camps where German troops starved to death or died of disease... Even when such behavior is noted, there are excuses made. Allowances given. You get the same about the Russian advance across Poland and East Germany, which ignores the massacres and mass rape, but it's all okay because they were the allies to the "Allies".
    I honestly don't think you even read what I said, as my point was about Britain and not the "West".

Actually, I did read what you said. You focused on Britain. I chose to broaden the view.

topper75 wrote: »
    True and not widely known. Ironic that our imperial masters the British insisted we rush to help them in WWI ("in defence of small nations" as John Redmond put it).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atrocities_in_the_Congo_Free_State

I know it's wiki, but it's worth the read. (Just in case, some people here aren't aware of other nations colonial behavior)

topper75 wrote: »

WWI-recruitment-poster1.jpg

I remember reading about their exploits in the Congo. They were rough alright.

They claimed primitive locals had no concept of the passing of time. No measurement systems etc. Truly extraordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,451 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atrocities_in_the_Congo_Free_State

I know it's wiki, but it's worth the read. (Just in case, some people here aren't aware of other nations colonial behavior)

The Germans' conduct in South West Africa/ Namibia was also dreadful.

The Brits are rather proud of there murderous empire (of which Ireland was a victim of)

And participant in. Bit of amnesia about the numbers of Irish in British forces and colonial civil service.

• Advertisement

Sorry. I suppose I should have said I wasn't arguing against your post.

Thought it was clear enough when I didn't take it apart (which is my usual style of posting, although I'm happy to start now.).

Ah fair enough. I have had plenty of people in the past do so.
    Who has faced up to their past?

People have done so to varying degrees. I just highlighted those who are noticeable worse than anyone else.

Advertisement