Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

, in my opinion cork need to make the last 8 in whatever group they get and regardless who they get , they have the players to be competitive but it will take time

donegal were shocking last year and beat one of the best teams in the country tonight give it time , to be fair the loss to clare was corks worst result last year as it means that they are not even seeded in munster anymore , all them factors have to change first really before cork can be cork again , i am sure that's what you really mean in your posts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Seadin

Getting the right people involved too is whats needed. McGuinness with Donegal is a leader and a winner with a very strong psychology background, who instils confidence into his players. We haven't had anyone like that in Cork ever I would say bar Billy Morgan. If we did we would have won more. I do think if Cork can turn this around they need to be getting up to division 1 as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i do think its easier then cork are making it too to at least be back in division 1 , i would still have ye ahead of monaghan roscommon and the current galway team to start with , however 2 things are standing in the way ,1, scoring forwards that can play the modern game in terms of attacking and defending , there are a number of very good forwards in cork club football but a number of them struggle with having to track back the field and back up again , i was ultra impressed with daniel dineen from kilnamartyra when my club played them last november in the munster club , but it wasn't until the all ireland final against the armagh team that you saw thad dano never left the 21 yard line , luke connolly , the same james masters for nemo in the past also , you need to find scoring forwards that can do both

2 , the pressure of the cork jersey ,

the current cork hurling team could have at least 2 all irelands won but for lack of luck , in 2013 clare got a score 2 minutes beyond the actual added time to force a replay , and two semi final losses in the next 7 years by a point or two to eventual winners have hampered what would be normally be seen as a golden era of cork hurling

before the first game started in 13 , a cork supporter said to me, we need this more then ye do , 8 years is too long for cork to wait for an all ireland ,if this team wins today we could win 2 or 3 more before the end of the decade

he was right , this has been a fine cork team over the last ten years but just unlucky not to have won an all ireland , but the longer it goes on the more pressure is put on cork teams

the footballers are still under the same bracket thanks to jbm and teddy mccarthy ect…

I agree Cork don't produce enough top class forwards. I look at Kerry and no matter the circumstances they always produce outstanding forwards in any decade. To me that goes down to coaching at a young age and any players that have potential are coached properly there and it always shows.

With regards the hurling, In 2013 we could have stolen that All Ireland off yourselves (first game) but to be honest Clare were the better team on the two days and deserved the win. As for 2017 and 2018, cahalane sending off in 2017 didnt help but like I said before Cork too slow to make changes and paid the price. 2018 hurts the most. Having a 6 point lead against Limerick with ,9 mins to go and to fall apart like that definitely brought Cork hurling back a few years. If we had got to the final that year there was no guarantee we beat Galway but you have a chance when you are there.

2021 wasn't a great team especially when they left Kilkenny bring the semi final game to extra time after having the game almost won. Limerick destroyed us in the final. It was hard to see a bright future with Cork hurling after that defeat. So 2024 will be no different we will go in with hope but I won't be surprised if they don't make headway this year either. Not being negative like a certain poster described me but realistic with our chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭magic17

Ah lads, it's 2024 and we're starting Championship games with Harnedy, Horgan & Lehane. What is going on. Appalling stuff so far. Still time to turn it around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Like being stuck in a time warp with Harnedy, Lehane and Horgan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

A dire first half but hopefully we'll turn it around. If we lose this and we fail to get out of Munster, then we might need to drop some of the old guard.

Especially when we have a lot of all Ireland winners from u20 level to bring through. Hopefully we'll lift it in the second half though.

This was always going to be a dangerous game if any ounce of complaceny settled in.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

We've finally woken up it's all square now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

• Advertisement

About seventeen minutes left and Waterford are three points ahead.

This is some shambles of a performance.

It's down to two now. We need a big last sixteen or so minutes from Cork here.

We can forget about the All Ireland and getting out of Munster. Time for Horgan, Lehane Harnedy and Cahalane to go now. Where are you now White feather?

It's a shocking state of affairs if we don't have any players coming through to replace the likes of Harnedy and Lehane.

Waterford four up in injury time here.

Atrocious stuff from Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

At least we are out of championship next week after Clare beat us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭gifted

Not good enough....out of all the hurlers available in Cork this is what is put out to represent us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭magic17

Three Under 20 titles in four years and we're still playing Cahalane, Harnedy, Horgan & Lehane. Is it a boys club or what lads? It seems to be harder to get off the team than on it. Mother of god. We've known for a decade that these guys can't get the job done. They've had their time and been decent servants. It's time to move on. If it takes a year or two for the new lads to get up to speed then so be it.

Ok i just need to relax here because i'm pretty angry about this defeat! First of all well done to Waterford the better more hungry and more motivated team on the day.

We have to make our two home games count against Clare and Limerick now, and then get something away to Tipperary in Thurles.

But that was a very sloppy display from Cork that lacked drive and hunger. We've been saying this crap for too long now at this stage.

The thing is that Cork performance today was miles away from the standard of the Clare and Limerick game. We'll be eaten alive by both Clare and Limerick if we show up with a performance like that again.

It looks like we're going to hit the twenty years without a senior all Ireland milestone. There needs to be some hard calls made on the Hoggie, Harnedy, Lehane and Cahalane generation at some stage.

Now Hoggie and Seamus in particular have given some serious service to Cork, but we have a raft of all Ireland winners from underage to bring through.

Give them a chance instead of persisting with players who either don't look like being around for our next all Ireland win or who have had more than enough chances at this stage.

We've spent the last twelve years waiting for one fella in particular to step up to the plate! Another Munster group stage exit won't look good for Pat Ryan either when you have Ben O'Connor waiting in the wings.

A bad a day as there ever was for Cork hurling and it raise a whole pile of questions but again well done to Waterford. They might cause a few more surprises before the year is out.

Post edited by Straight Talker on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Well done to Waterford today!

Really poor today. I knew Waterford would be good early on but our misses in the first half were truly awful. 8 wides. Get even half of those and we would be going in drawing the game. Waterford were like, "hey, we can actually win this" and then it became a bigger battle. Lehane should have been taken off after 15 or 20 mins. I'm not joking. He is either on or off and he was clearly off from the start.

Our subs made a huge difference near the end. We nearly could have got a draw or snuck a win even when we played so badly but this won't be happening against the rest in Munster. We just gave them the initiative and they began to grow in confidence.

Collins in goal I would replace the next day also. His distribution from puck outs was very poor. Harnedy always seems to want ages on the ball, he needs way more urgency.

We really need to put more faith in the newer players going forward. Keep Lehane, kingston and maybe even Harnedy to sub appearances. I know Kingston wasnt playing today but he and Lehane seem to just be too inconsistent to start. Cahalane was kinda unlucky to get a red but he does stupid things a lot and we keep seeming to want to rely on him. We should be looking to the young players from now on.

The likes of Connolly, Barrett and O'Connell are the way forward. Ryan took too log to bring on the subs today.

Ref gave out way too many yellows to both teams. 4 to Waterford, 5 to Cork with a red and black card. It seemed he was destined to send someone off the way he handed them out.

Now the next day against Clare becomes a complete must win at all costs. If I see another slow start from this team, I will go mad!

We've gone seriously soft as a hurling county. If it's another short year then Ryan needs to wield the axe. All four of Hoggie, Harnedy, Lehane and Cahalane should not be starting on a Cork team all at once at this stage

If we have to wait another few years for senior success then so be it, but the lads from underage are the future. Give them a chance and be patient with them. I was delighted that Pat took over from Kieran Kingston as manager.

But at least Kingston won a Munster title and took us to an all Ireland final. I'm not advocating that we bring Kingston back now. I just think that a lot of people are on notice after today.

Nearly twenty years without a senior all Ireland, twenty six years without a league title and it's been more than half a decade since we last won Munster.

We can't just brush all this under the carpet. That is serious levels of underperformance for what is the largest county in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Winning titles at underage is one thing. Making underage talent into senior inter county players is another thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭BarryNumber1

Yes it's very hard to do, Clare were in a similar boat with U21 successes and they barely got over the line in 2013. That was it then. However, I think we've a good few that should be getting their game. What happened to Cunningham? He not in the squad? Plus will Dalton be back? who I happen to like as he gets stuck in and can take a free as well.

All is not lost yet, but some hard decisions need to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Cunningham is injured. Supposed to be back soon though

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭BarryNumber1

Cheers, didn't know. All that said, the outing against Limerick could be brutal. They looked solid out, those lads are pretty big and can get as physical as you like, and can hurl as well. Took everything Clare threw at them today, didn't panic at all, and came out on top. Clare lads must be sick tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭jgbyr

SUN, 21 APR, 2024 - 14:50

Ben Cunningham shows his class for the Barrs with 12 points in the SHL win over Newtownshandrum

https://www.echolive.ie/corksport/arid-41379016.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭FantasyFool

Not sure Cunningham is the answer, at least in the half forward line- watched him struggle to win high ball against Westmeath in the league last year.

Dalton was a massive loss today- we have no hurler with his 'skill' set.

Advertisement