Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lunchtime Live with Ciara Kelly [Mod warning post #1]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

nullzero wrote: »
    To be fair, radio presenters know that when they make controversial comments there will likely be a social media storm to accompany them.

This woman's name has been mentioned more times since her comments then ever before.

You do realise that most radio presenters train for their job? That being responsible for what comes out of your mouth is your own responsibility being something they are more than familiar with. It may appear cynical to make observations like the previous poster but unfortunately it's accurate. She knew well what she was doing when she made the comments about the rose of tralee (something I personally couldn't care less about) and she went ahead and did it and now she's making national news.
    That Keogh girl made an offensive idiotic commentary, designed to create controversy. And now she wants to play the victim. Fair play to Kirsten Maher for putting her back in her box. Between this and Cuddihy remarks trolling a United Ireland, it's clear Newstalk are now doing clickbait radio to get controversy and hits. Bottom of the barrel radio but what do you expect from Denis O'Brien FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,370 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

That Keogh girl made an offensive idiotic commentary, designed to create controversy. And now she wants to play the victim. Fair play to Kirsten Maher for putting her back in her box. Between this and Cuddihy remarks trolling a United Ireland, it's clear Newstalk are now doing clickbait radio to get controversy and hits. Bottom of the barrel radio but what do you expect from Denis O'Brien FM.

They've been soundbite hunters as long as I can remember. Jonathan Healy is probably the worst for it, he always hounds his guests and shouts at them which is unbelievably unprofessional.

This "Controversy" has given Susie Keogh's career a shot in the arm.

Susie Keogh and her controversial opinions that she has for money.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Ah come on. RoT is a version of Ireland that is dead. It might be great to sell it to Americans who call themselves Irish because someone in their family 6 generations ago was Irish but it's about as representative of Ireland as Leprechaun and a pot of gold. I don't think the competition is ignoring minorities but it is ignoring any woman who wants to have an opinion on anything more than lamas shagging the sheep (that is the only parts I saw last night).

I do like one of Rose contestants. The Australian a few years ago who caused the scandal for daring to state a political opinion. She is good writer and I enjoy her articles when they appear in IT. Safe to say the contestants after that scandal were told to shut up and smile.

It really isn't controversial to roll your eyes at the whole thing, there are plenty of people who do.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

They've been soundbite hunters as long as I can remember. Jonathan Healy is probably the worst for it, he always hounds his guests and shouts at them which is unbelievably unprofessional.

I can just imagine Susan, after another day of reading the 5 at 5 and the 6 at 6 on The Last Word, dreaming of having her own show on her way home from work. "Please let me have my own show so I can do some virtue signalling and make a name for myself in this new, progressive Ireland".

Yeah they are pushing these clickbait controversy videos hard on twitter to get a reaction. It's not much different to an internet troll looking for attention. Clickbait radio that adds nothing to the discourse.

• Advertisement

BPKS wrote: »
    I can just imagine Susan, after another day of reading the 5 at 5 and the 6 at 6 on The Last Word, dreaming of having her own show on her way home from work. "Please let me have my own show so I can do some virtue signalling and make a name for myself in this new, progressive Ireland".

She has her show.

BPKS wrote: »
    She wants to be another Ciara Kelly. That's all we need. But she had to say this on twitter because nobody listens to her on radio :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

meeeeh wrote: »
    Ah come on. RoT is a version of Ireland that is dead. It might be great to sell it to Americans who call themselves Irish because someone in their family 6 generations ago was Irish but it's about as representative of Ireland as Leprechaun and a pot of gold. I don't think the competition is ignoring minorities but it is ignoring any woman who wants to have an opinion on anything more than lamas shagging the sheep (that is the only parts I saw last night).

I do like one of Rose contestants. The Australian a few years ago who caused the scandal for daring to state a political opinion. She is good writer and I enjoy her articles when they appear in IT. Safe to say the contestants after that scandal were told to shut up and smile.

It really isn't controversial to roll your eyes at the whole thing, there are plenty of people who do.

1000s of women enter the Rose of Tralee every year. Are you saying they’re all empty headed bimbos ?

It's not my cup of tea, but it's not dead at all, it's very successful and it has far higher viewing figures and interest than anything on Newstalk. It's made for an Irish audience not Irish Americans, but nice of you to attack them too.

Funny you mention the Australian Brianna Parkins. She also put the Keogh woman back in her box.

https://twitter.com/parkinsbrea/status/1166446311064965122

splinter65 wrote: »
    1000s of women enter the Rose of Tralee every year. Are you saying they’re all empty headed bimbos ?
    Yeah I don't think they realise how offensive their remarks are to the Roses and people involved. Most of the Roses are highly educated and intelligent.

Funny thing is, those that attack it so much are probably the same types that sit watching Love Island every night and claim it is oh so progressive with the vacuous empty heads on there. Ciara and Roisin Keogh are big fans of it of course, so empowering and modern.....:D

• Advertisement

I'm saying that they are keeping their opinions to themselves and smiling like good little girls should.

I'm saying that they are keeping their opinions to themselves and smiling like good little girls should.

What should they be doing then?

Glazers Out!

Yeah I don't think they realise how offensive their remarks are to the Roses and people involved. Most of the Roses are highly educated and intelligent.

Funny thing is, those that attack it so much are probably the same types that sit watching Love Island every night and claim it is oh so progressive with the vacuous empty heads on there. Ciara and Roisin Keogh are big fans of it of course, so empowering and modern.....:D

The only reality horror show that I follow at the moment is Brexit. Why is it so desirable for women to hide their intellect. We either celebrate stupidity like Love Island or smart women who stay quiet and smile.

What should they be doing then?

As riveting as lamas shagging sheep is I think women are able to discuss a bit more. Well at least they are not hoping for world peace so that is something.

When the likes of Ciara Kelly or Susan Keogh voice an opinion is not about what they say (or Ivan Yates thread would have has many replies as this one) it's that they dare to say it.

As riveting as lamas shagging sheep is I think women are able to discuss a bit more. Well at least they are not hoping for world peace so that is something.

When the likes of Ciara Kelly or Susan Keogh voice an opinion is not about what they say (or Ivan Yates thread would have has many replies as this one) it's that they dare to say it.

That's complete nonsense.

People comment on this thread because the show is chocced full of "controversial opinions" for the sake of drumming up interest in a flagging time slot.

It has nothing do with gender, even if you constantly have to boil everything down to some pathetic SJW diatribe.

If Ivan Yates (a reprehensible character and a man City fan,) was to talk the same nonsense as is spouted on this show he'd be pulled up on it.

Jesus, George Hhok was hung out to dry for a reasonably tame comment and more people were involved in that discussion than have ever even looked at this thread.

Not everything boils down to patriarchal oppression.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It's not my cup of tea, but it's not dead at all, it's very successful and it has far higher viewing figures and interest than anything on Newstalk.

Wow.

Rose of Tralee viewing figures (a 2 night show once year) are better than anything on Newstalk? Well, duh, Newstalk is a radio station. Do you think because the All Ireland Final gets more viewers than Sunday sport on Radio 1 that both shows could be compared

Try putting the Rose of Tralee on all year, 5 times a week for an 2 hours at a time and then see what figures are like.

It's fine supporting the Rose of Tralee festival but your posts read like you are hell bent in having a dig at Newstalk in general and Susan in this case.

That's complete nonsense.

People comment on this thread because the show is chocced full of "controversial opinions" for the sake of drumming up interest in a flagging time slot.

It has nothing do with gender, even if you constantly have to boil everything down to some pathetic SJW diatribe.

What controversial opinions? There are plenty of us who don't watch Rose of Tralee, I completely agree with her in first part of her statement. Daithi was talking bull****. And I don't find the second part any way controversial. In the same way as I don't find last year's Rose's response controversial. It's all pretty tame stuff and different opinions which are only 'controversial' in August.

I see we are back to whining about George Hook. Build the bridge.

The poster literally gave an example of a Rose of Tralee contestant whose opinions they valued.

I mean, it got it's own paragraph.

What controversial opinions? There are plenty of us who don't watch Rose of Tralee, I completely agree with her in first part of her statement. Daithi was talking bull****. And I don't find the second part any way controversial. In the same way as I don't find last year's Rose's response controversial. It's all pretty tame stuff and different opinions which are only 'controversial' in August.

I see we are back to whining about George Hook. Build the bridge.

I'm not talking about the Rose of tralee comments in isolation. I think that was reasonably obvious, but don't allow that to stop you going off on a tangent.

I mentioned Hook as you alluded to Ciara Kelly and Susie Keogh only being picked on because they are women when the biggest controversy they've dealt with in Newstalk came from comments made by a man who was commented on by more people than the two aforementioned women put together, a point which makes a mockery of your victim complex argument.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Wow.

Rose of Tralee viewing figures (a 2 night show once year) are better than anything on Newstalk? Well, duh, Newstalk is a radio station. Do you think because the All Ireland Final gets more viewers than Sunday sport on Radio 1 that both shows could be compared

Try putting the Rose of Tralee on all year, 5 times a week for an 2 hours at a time and then see what figures are like.

It's fine supporting the Rose of Tralee festival but your posts read like you are hell bent in having a dig at Newstalk in general and Susan in this case.

I'd still prefer it over Newstalk (feminazi fm), Lunchtime live with Ciara Kelly is dire, well I assume it still is, turned the dial a while ago and I ain't turning back.

• Advertisement

I'd still prefer it over Newstalk (feminazi fm), Lunchtime live with Ciara Kelly is dire, well I assume it still is, turned the dial a while ago and I ain't turning back.

Well, not being smart, but why would you post on a thread about something you have no knowledge of given, as you say, that you don't listen?

I don't watch Fair City, I therefore see no need to discuss it on Boards.

Cringe. Ciara is that you? :pac:

It's probably because Ivan rails against political correctness stuff, while the likes of Ciara like to enforce it and preach a very staunch feminist agenda.

Well, not being smart, but why would you post on a thread about something you have no knowledge of given, as you say, that you don't listen?

I don't watch Fair City, I therefore see no need to discuss it on Boards.

I used to listen a lot, but stopped. However I still very briefly listen in the mornings, but I usually don't last very long.

It's dire far left rubbish.

I used to listen a lot, but stopped. However I still very briefly listen in the mornings, but I usually don't last very long.

It's dire far left rubbish.
    You can't criticise it on here or you will be banned.

I'm not talking about the Rose of tralee comments in isolation. I think that was reasonably obvious, but don't allow that to stop you going off on a tangent.

I mentioned Hook as you alluded to Ciara Kelly and Susie Keogh only being picked on because they are women when the biggest controversy they've dealt with in Newstalk came from comments made by a man who was commented on by more people than the two aforementioned women put together, a point which makes a mockery of your victim complex argument.

I think you should stop using heavy terms like victim complex until you manage to understand them.

George Hook comments went way deeper and pointed to some attitudes in society that still blame victims for the crimes committed to them. Comparing that to an opinion about pageant is frankly insulting. And no I didn't think he should be fired.

You can't criticise it on here or you will be banned.

Why are the mods here fond of Newstalk?

I think you should stop using heavy terms like victim complex until you manage to understand them.

George Hook comments went way deeper and pointed to some attitudes in society that still blame victims for the crimes committed to them. Comparing that to an opinion about pageant is frankly insulting. And no I didn't think he should be fired.

I'm not arguing the George Hook sacking here. I'm merely stating that a man was the subject of a lot more attention than the two women you have cited as being subjugated for being women who dare to express opinions.

I think you should stop posting replies until you take the time to understand the context of what people are saying, but who needs context when you can employ your "being offended" super powers?

To simplify my point; You stated that Ciara Kelly and Susie Keogh are only being picked on because they are women who dared to express an opinion.

I pointed to the fact that the largest controversy in the history of Newstalk centred around the comments of a man.

Clearly men and women on Newstalk are being judged by the opinions they express rather than their gender, a fact that doesn't sit will with your victim complex of women being picked on when they express an opinion.

Clearly your argument is based on an opinion you hold which is absolute nonsense.

Glazers Out!

Why are the mods here fond of Newstalk?
    It's Ireland, they probably work on the station or someone in their family does....:pac:

It's Ireland, they probably work on the station or someone in their family does....:pac:

Haha well this is true, Ciara Kelly herself will probably read our comments and blame 'the patriarchy' for us not liking ber show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Which, if that is what they’re doing, is their decision to make, their CHOICE if you will...and that is to be criticized in your opinion because .......?!? It’s not the choice that you would make?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement