Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officer 2017 Campaign

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 shedex

Oh my, that numerical test was a dumpster fire. I've done a couple of competitions in the past and always passed these tests just fine, but having serious doubts I'll pass after that horrible experience

• Registered Users Posts: 35 shedex

Oh my, that numerical test was a dumpster fire. I've done a couple of competitions in the past and always passed these tests just fine, but having serious doubts I'll pass after that horrible experience

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Kamu

Just finished the exams there.

I finished all Verbal reasoning questions, I know that I got at least one of those questions wrong, as when I was going back over it to change my answer, I mistakenly clicked next, oops. :rolleyes:

I would have preferred if we could have gone back over the verbal reasoning as I had about 5 minutes left at the end.

The maths questions themselves were tricky but the main difficulty of them was the time restraint as I had only completed 16/18 by the deadline.

Assessment was the usual.

All in all wasn't an awful test from my perspective.

Here's hoping guys, and good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Australia33

bodun wrote: »
    Yea the numerical was tough alright. Didn't get them all finished. They were very different to what was in the practice tests. On another note, did anyone find them hard to read, I thought the fonts used were poor. Maybe that's part of the test!

Yes I could hardly read the text in the verbal tests in particular.Very small and squiggly text... very tough on the eyes....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

I just realised I forgot to submit the assessment and I missed the deadline at noon today!

I've emailed them and hopefully they'll let me submit.

Doubt I'll proceed anyway after the aptitude tests.

Edit: They won't let me submit the assessment :(
    Oh well next time eh? I'v heard in the AO recuitment you have to make presentations and form into groups and whatnot?
    That's not me anyway I can't do that kind of stuff tbphwy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who found the numerical difficult! I love numerical tests and I usually excel at them but this one was ridiculous! As other posts have mentioned, the writing was difficult to read which made it hard to concentrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Asus X540L wrote: »
    I just realised I forgot to submit the assessment and I missed the deadline at noon today!

I've emailed them and hopefully they'll let me submit.

Doubt I'll proceed anyway after the aptitude tests.

Edit: They won't let me submit the assessment :(
    Oh well next time eh? I'v heard in the AO recuitment you have to make presentations and form into groups and whatnot?
    That's not me anyway I can't do that kind of stuff tbphwy.

Just presentations as far as I know. Never had to do a group thing (thank God, I can't stand those).

Sorry you couldn't submit (and at least gain something from the experience.)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭lucat

Areas wrote: »
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one who found the numerical difficult! I love numerical tests and I usually excel at them but this one was ridiculous! As other posts have mentioned, the writing was difficult to read which made it hard to concentrate.

Yeah the font size in the charts was very difficult to read, there was information that you needed to calculate not supplied (so it was a trick question) for a few of the questions, most of them required an absolute min. of 3 separate steps (i.e. calculations) to do in 60-odd seconds to arrive at the figures needed for the final calculation, which is impossible so you were expected to estimate the answers, but you couldn't really do that as there were too many steps involved to have any hope of accuracy....

The experience would put me off doing them again tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Claireyy

lucat wrote: »
    Yeah the font size in the charts was very difficult to read, there was information that you needed to calculate not supplied (so it was a trick question) for a few of the questions, most of them required an absolute min. of 3 separate steps (i.e. calculations) to do in 60-odd seconds to arrive at the figures needed for the final calculation, which is impossible so you were expected to estimate the answers, but you couldn't really do that as there were too many steps involved to have any hope of accuracy....

The experience would put me off doing them again tbh!

Completely agree with you. It’s off putting for me in the sense that I’ve also applied for the clerical officer campaign and I’m worried that I’ll never be able to pursue the higher grades unless I learn to master these stupid tests. Guessed a good few of the verbal and only got 13 of the Maths done, some of which I also guessed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- we're all in a similar position with the maths- and for good measure- I'm colour blind- and some of the charts were pretty impossible for me to figure which was which looking at them.

They can't fail all of us- they need to put together a panel- the pass mark will be adjusted to compensate for the ridiculous test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 sister bliss

I thought the verbal was grand but the numercial was a different kettle of fish altogether! I'm not the best at maths but passed both the clerical officer and executive officer ones without too much bother. This was a major step up, quite ridiculous to be honest. I answered about 4 or 5 that I think were right but after that I just guessed. It has put me off going for these competitions if this is the level that is required!!

Any idea when the results will be out? Not that I'm hopeful or anything!!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Claireyy

I thought the verbal was grand but the numercial was a different kettle of fish altogether! I'm not the best at maths but passed both the clerical officer and executive officer ones without too much bother. This was a major step up, quite ridiculous to be honest. I answered about 4 or 5 that I think were right but after that I just guessed. It has put me off going for these competitions if this is the level that is required!!

Any idea when the results will be out? Not that I'm hopeful or anything!!

It’s usually around 3 weeks later give or take. Even if by some miracle I manage to pass, I can’t see myself being able to repeat it a second time in stage 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

It was like 'Wall Street' for a while.

Sell the Dollar

Buy the Bhutanese Ngultrum

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bodun

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    It was like 'Wall Street' for a while.

Sell the Dollar

Buy the Bhutanese Ngultrum

:)

Mine had me buying aeroplane parts with Japanese Yen. I hope I never have to fly in any of those planes after my calculations!

bodun wrote: »
    Mine had me buying aeroplane parts with Japanese Yen. I hope I never have to fly in any of those planes after my calculations!

We must have had different tests- no aeroplanes involved on mine- though I did learn a great deal about the replacement rates of trees when deforestation takes place...............

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bodun

We must have had different tests- no aeroplanes involved on mine- though I did learn a great deal about the replacement rates of trees when deforestation takes place...............

I had that one too. Might be useful if we get jobs in Coillte!

Hi,

Does anyone have an insight about the likely timing of the supervised tests and interviews?

I'd like to think the supervised tests should occur in November. Or is that too early?

Is there any chance of getting called for interview, if applicable, before Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭BobCat123

I think it said on the application that the second stage would be the week of 27th November

BobCat123 wrote: »
    I think it said on the application that the second stage would be the week of 27th November

Well done to them if they manage to keep to that- seems like a fairly tight turn-around?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭jimba

Well, it looks as though my wish for Evergreen Ltd to go into Administration came up trumps. Unfortunately, this year's Numerical was the worst I've ever seen. Not hopeful at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

jimba wrote: »
    Well, it looks as though my wish for Evergreen Ltd to go into Administration came up trumps. Unfortunately, this year's Numerical was the worst I've ever seen. Not hopeful at all.

Ahh Evergreen Ltd.

What a bunch of bastards.

Ahh Evergreen Ltd.

What a bunch of bastards.
    Feckers. With their detergents and beauty products. Grrrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

BobCat123 wrote: »

That was before Ophelia and the extended application deadline, they'll probably be pushed back until December. No chance of interviews before Christmas imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

That was before Ophelia and the extended application deadline, they'll probably be pushed back until December. No chance of interviews before Christmas imo.

I wonder though. The tests don't need any processing or hand marking. They should have all the results ready to go now so it's just a matter of picking cut offs and sending the emails.

We may be lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭billyhead

Glad I am not the only one whom found the numerical exam a nightmare. TBH i am beginning to think that for some questions there were no correct answers and cannot say was missing from the options available:D.

I hated that I couldn't recheck my verbal answers: I'm pretty sure I got a couple wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭billyhead

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I hated that I couldn't recheck my verbal answers: I'm pretty sure I got a couple wrong.

I agree. It's a pity you cannot go back and double check your answers.

Will the supervised tests be arranged for regional centres (Cork, Limerick, Galway, etc).... or will they be centralised in Dublin?

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Will the supervised tests be arranged for regional centres (Cork, Limerick, Galway, etc).... or will they be centralised in Dublin?

Normally they are centralised in the test centre in PAS on Capel Street- just off O'Connell Street- in Dublin.

• Advertisement

Normally they are centralised in the test centre in PAS on Capel Street- just off O'Connell Street- in Dublin.

They used to hold them in places like the RDS, Croke Park and Neptune Stadium in Cork in the past, but in recent years it's all been in PAS.

Advertisement