Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officer 2017 Campaign

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

job seeker wrote: »
    Out of interest, where did you read that?

Verbally from a member of the grad recruitment team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Verbally from a member of the grad recruitment team.

Oh right,

I wasn't aware that you worked in this industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Chaos Black

Recruitment and retention of new entrants across grades will be a challenge for the service as long as the economy is kicking along well (and when it isn't recruitment will probably be frozen..). The pay and pension isn't much to write home about and from my experience, new entrants tend to be be pretty busy, so it isn't as cosy as the stereotype goes.

job seeker wrote: »
    Oh right,

I wasn't aware that you worked in this industry.

Not any more- I moved to a different Department- but I still have friends there.

Recruitment and retention of new entrants across grades will be a challenge for the service as long as the economy is kicking along well (and when it isn't recruitment will probably be frozen..). The pay and pension isn't much to write home about and from my experience, new entrants tend to be be pretty busy, so it isn't as cosy as the stereotype goes.

+1 - however, this isn't what the media would have you believe.
    Its probably why there are a remarkable number of candidates successful in the recruitment process- who turn up for a few days, or even a few weeks- and then quit.

The honest thing to do would be to try and refute the stories peddled in the media- on several different grounds- not least because of the appalling effect on moral the constant onslaught brings.

Reminds me of an ironic signature someone here on boards used have: The beatings will continue until moral improves...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I thought I saved the description/duties document for the AO before the deadline passed. I have a copy of my application and I have the new pre test material sent in the message but I don't have the original docs.

Would someone on here have them and be willing to mail them to me? I could send a PM.

Cheers,
    Quad

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

quad_red wrote: »
    I thought I saved the description/duties document for the AO before the deadline passed. I have a copy of my application and I have the new pre test material sent in the message but I don't have the original docs.

Would someone on here have them and be willing to mail them to me? I could send a PM.

Cheers,
    Quad

It's in the first post of the thread.
    New 2017 Campaign Announced this morning
    Advertisement here

Closing date for applications is the 19th of October.

Best of good luck everyone!

Edit: Familiarisation / information booklet attached

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭piobhan

Has anyone got some good websites for further sample tests with worked out solutions? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Kamu

Has anyone started the practice tests from SHL? How you finding them?

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

Has anyone else not received the link to the tests yet?

• Advertisement

Areas wrote: »
    Has anyone else not received the link to the tests yet?

Nothing here yet either.

We should have the link before 3pm today.

Nothing here yet either.

Scrub that- e-mail with link received 10 seconds ago........

Just got the e-mail there for the online tests.

We have until 3:00 pm the 6th of November to do them right?

Does doing them earlier rather than later have any real benefit? I know they recommend you do them as soon as possible.

I have to get them out of the way tonight as I'll have no proper chance to do them again.

Areas wrote: »
    I have to get them out of the way tonight as I'll have no proper chance to do them again.

Good luck Areas!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bodun

Kamu wrote: »
    Has anyone started the practice tests from SHL? How you finding them?

They are great fun aren't they? The person who wrote the numerical ones definitely wasn't hugged enough as a child!

What constitutes a passing score for these tests does anyone know? Or how are they scored?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭billyhead

bodun wrote: »
    They are great fun aren't they? The person who wrote the numerical ones definitely wasn't hugged enough as a child!

What constitutes a passing score for these tests does anyone know? Or how are they scored?

Finished them earlier at work. The Verbal was okay but that Numerical was a nightmare:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Hi all,

I received confirmation that candidates who applied for BOTH 'Administrative Officer in Local Government' and 'Administrative Officer in Civil Service' will receive a single email.

One set of 'Online Testing' will cover off both campaigns.

It's killing two birds with the one stone. No duplication of effort.

• Advertisement

bodun wrote: »

And the fact that they tell you that you got X wrong, yet don't tell you which questions you got wrong or how to do them. :rolleyes:

billyhead wrote: »
    Finished them earlier at work. The Verbal was okay but that Numerical was a nightmare:eek:

I ran through the verbal practice test in 10 minutes the first time thinking they were similar to the practice test on the publicjobs website, in that, you could go back over the questions before submitting the test, I was wrong!

So when I went back over it the second time and actually spent time reading the paragraphs my score jumped up.

Didn't have that issue with the numerical though, time nearly ran out. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Ryaner179

Anyone have a link to the practice tests?

Ryaner179 wrote: »
    Anyone have a link to the practice tests?

https://www.cebglobal.com/shldirect/en/practice-tests/

That should do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Ryaner179

Kamu wrote: »

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭CMR23

does anyone have an idea of timelines... ie when we get our test results and then from there the time frame for interviews/ test taking in supervised env, etc. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cleaner

Hi Guys,

Best of luck to everyone who is applying. Just wondering are you just using the sample tests on the public jobs site as practice for this or are you using other sites to practice sample questions as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭piobhan

I just completed the tests there, verbal one wasn’t too bad.
    The numerical test was a different story, very difficult, and frustrating, guessing took place! 🤔😳😡
    Good luck!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BurtonWill

Were the numerical tests similar wording to the practise tests on the website?

• Advertisement

BurtonWill wrote: »
    Were the numerical tests similar wording to the practise tests on the website?

Format was the same- however the actual ones were on an entirely different scale of difficulty- i.e. while the practice test gives you an idea of the manner in which to answer them- it doesn't prepare you in the least for the appalling difficulty level of the actual tests..........

If the pass mark is similar to the recent HEO- a little over 50% on the numeracy will get you through- however, they *are* negatively marked- so don't go on a guessing spree..........

Advertisement