Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I think you’re playing up the EK gameplan a bit too much, it was hardly their gameplan to give Brendans a load of score-able frees.

Luckily for them Brendans couldn’t convert many that were further than 14 yards out

EK were poor and Brendans were absolutely awful- hard to take any positive from that game

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Parker is the Brendans Plan A, B and C.

He was stifled and they were toothless up front.

Not sure that Diarmuid inside was a good move at all. He's never played FF. The ball in was straight down the middle as well, so easy for Sherwood and Murphy to smother him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Parker is the Brendans Plan A, B and C.

He was stifled and they were toothless up front.

Not sure that Diarmuid inside was a good move at all. He's never played FF. The ball in was straight down the middle as well, so easy for Sherwood and Murphy to smother him.

Parker was poor & has a real aversion to passing the ball.
    Every time he got the ball EK players just descended upon him as they knew there wouldn’t be a lay off

Opted against the €10 streaming fee for the Semi Final today.

Talk about missing out.

Radio Kerry had me feeling like I was there though.

Sounded like an epic.

Still don't regret not buying. The only way to ensure fair pricing for these streams is by paying when it's fair and sitting out when it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thesultan

Poor you, such robbery

• Advertisement

So Stacks are back to back Club Champions and Kilcummin are relegated after losing to Templenoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

Kilcummin back in with EK next year. There'll be talks of splitting them soon. In fairness there must be some very good players that cant even get on the panel as it is. Kenmare will be sick with that, they were seconds from winning it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

wonga77 wrote: »
    Kilcummin back in with EK next year. There'll be talks of splitting them soon. In fairness there must be some very good players that cant even get on the panel as it is. Kenmare will be sick with that, they were seconds from winning it

Who would you have from Kilcummin besides Kevin McCarthy and Chris O Leary. Its not as big a deal as people make out imo. Brendan Kealy would be an alright back up keeper to have if he was interested I suppose. Possibility of losing Evan Cronin and Dara Moynihan if Spa win Intermediate so will have to see how that plays out too

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

dobman88 wrote: »
    Who would you have from Kilcummin besides Kevin McCarthy and Chris O Leary. Its not as big a deal as people make out imo. Brendan Kealy would be an alright back up keeper to have if he was interested I suppose. Possibility of losing Evan Cronin and Dara Moynihan if Spa win Intermediate so will have to see how that plays out too

So Kilcummin are a regular senior Championship club that are going to probably have 20 guys who play for them not good enough to get in the East Kerry panel - is that considered to be a reason why EK are not likely to become a problem? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Not to mention Dan O'Donoghue, Shane Cronin, Liam Kearney & Mike Foley

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    So Kilcummin are a regular senior Championship club that are going to probably have 20 guys who play for them not good enough to get in the East Kerry panel - is that considered to be a reason why EK are not likely to become a problem? :pac:

Its their 2nd relegation to intermediate in 4 years and they were blessed to survive last year. They're a good inter side who arent good enough for senior evidently. Still dont see how that's East Kerry's problem? Its akin to talk of splitting Dublin. Absolute nonsense.

Its their 2nd relegation to intermediate in 4 years and they were blessed to survive last year. They're a good inter side who arent good enough for senior evidently. Still dont see how that's East Kerry's problem? Its akin to talk of splitting Dublin. Absolute nonsense.

It's not a problem for East Kerry in the least but your point about Kilcummin argues in the opposite direction to the one you intended. I don't give a fiddler's fart what they do about it. At least if East Kerry win it every year I won't have to worry about who else might.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Forge83

It’s not the same though. East Kerry are neither a club or county. Divisional teams are there to give clubs who aren’t good enough to play senior championship players a chance. You could argue that East Kerry are at a point now where players who are good enough to play senior championship aren’t getting that chance. Along with their success at minor level it is evident that they should in some way be separated.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Forge83 wrote: »
    It’s not the same though. East Kerry are neither a club or county. Divisional teams are there to give clubs who aren’t good enough to play senior championship players a chance. You could argue that East Kerry are at a point now where players who are good enough to play senior championship aren’t getting that chance. Along with their success at minor level it is evident that they should in some way be separated.

You cannot really make a case for that yet. Last year was there first championship in 10 years. There is five clubs with more CC titles than them and one district side South Kerry. Could you make the same case for Dr Crokes should they be split, they have won 8 titles since 2000. A

Slava Ukrainii

You cannot really make a case for that yet. Last year was there first championship in 10 years. There is five clubs with more CC titles than them and one district side South Kerry. Could you make the same case for Dr Crokes should they be split, they have won 8 titles since 2000. A

This is articulated better than my potential response and makes the same point.

Also, nobody ever talks about splitting districts when they're losing regularly but after a few wins it rares its head. East Kerry are going through a purple patch and have got their underage house in order also and its paying dividends now. I think it's too early to start worrying yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Forge83

Again you are missing the point. Crokes are a club, East Kerry are a district so they are not comparable. Their district team solely exists to offer players a chance to play senior championship. That is the reasoning behind a district team playing in a county senior championship. I really don’t care who wins a county championship. My point is with the addition of Rathmore and now Kilcummin there are too many players who are good enough to be playing county championship who won’t be playing. It completely defeats the purpose of allowing district teams compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Forge83 wrote: »
    Again you are missing the point. Crokes are a club, East Kerry are a district so they are not comparable. Their district team solely exists to offer players a chance to play senior championship. That is the reasoning behind a district team playing in a county senior championship. I really don’t care who wins a county championship. My point is with the addition of Rathmore and now Kilcummin there are too many players who are good enough to be playing county championship who won’t be playing. It completely defeats the purpose of allowing district teams compete.

Yes Crokes are a club but have the complete run of Killarney. People veer towards sucessful clubs, take Na Piarsaigh in Limerick having the run of the city and has created what is a super club. There is probably players with Crokes capable of playing championship with other teams but that is the way the cards fall. If East Kerry win this year it will be back to back titles for the first time in over 20 years for them. South Kerry have nine clubs. Since 2010 only three teams have broken the Crokes dominance, East Kerry last year, South Kerry in 2015 and Stacks in 2014. They have 5-6 county players at present, however how long will it be before one of the teams go senior again. Kenmare and Templenoe are both senior crippling Kenmare District. It unl,ikly taht both will still be senior in 5 years time

Slava Ukrainii

Was there lots of talk of splitting South Kerry up between 04 & 09 when they contested 5 finals and won 4? I'm almost too young to remember :pac:

Lots of similarities between that team and this East Kerry one - most players are of similar age, came through school & county minor teams together. They've been playing football across division, school & county for the bones of ten years already so there's great cohesion in how they play.

There was mention earlier about how EK's game plan was being overstated and I don't agree - I think they looked well drilled, always an out ball or support player, it was rare to see EK caught in possession.

Was the semi final put online?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

thesultan wrote: »
    Was the semi final put online?

It's on TG4 player.

• Advertisement

Crokes one?

thesultan wrote: »
    Crokes one?

Only if you paid the 10 quid for it I think. You can buy the replay here

EK should definitely be allowed to do a bit of dominating before anyone talks about splitting them or anything but we have to have a bit of common sense based on shifting demographics and things over time if some divisional team end up with four big division 1/2 clubs or something it makes sense to think about making two teams out of it.

The idea of the divisional clubs is to give decent players from smaller clubs a chance to play Championship, it's not about creating super-teams where 8 guys from a club who'd get into most senior teams can't even make the panel. If you stuck Rathmore and Kilcummin together on their own they'd rattle anyone in the Championship with a load of players involved who could end up playing no championship because EK have such a pick. That's great if you define success off how many Championships EK win but that's not the point of the divisionals.

There's some Eoghan Rua division to give more players from EK a chance at underage level isn't there?

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Opted against the €10 streaming fee for the Semi Final today.

Talk about missing out.

Radio Kerry had me feeling like I was there though.

Sounded like an epic.

Still don't regret not buying. The only way to ensure fair pricing for these streams is by paying when it's fair and sitting out when it isn't.

Seems as if 247.tv, the streaming service used by Kerry County Board, has the technical capability to mark users as 'VIP', allowing those users to view content for a specific county free of charge.

Kerry County Board neglected to use this option for Kerry Club Season Ticket Holders/County Board pass holders. Very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭cms88

https://thegaelicgame.wordpress.com/2020/09/15/paul-galvin-steps-down-as-wexford-football-manager/

Said he was getting close to zero commitment from the players. Was never going to work out if that wa the cae really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,027 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

cms88 wrote: »
    https://thegaelicgame.wordpress.com/2020/09/15/paul-galvin-steps-down-as-wexford-football-manager/

Said he was getting close to zero commitment from the players. Was never going to work out if that wa the cae really.

From what I have heard on the grapevine this evening, that appears to be the case. Have also heard that Davy is basically in tyrannical mode over who gets to train at our COE, and the footballers have been cast aside as a result.

He alluded towards this on Tomás O'Sé's podcast with a story of a fella heading off to New Zealand, asked him to take a football with him and was laughed at, he had to reiterate that he was serious. It honestly sounds like the inter-county team (or at least some members of the panel) aren't putting in the type of commitment you'd expect at that level

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭big_drive

County board have refused to take up RTE on showing the county final live, pity for people at home who can't go or have the capability to stream game

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

D'Agger wrote: »
    He alluded towards this on Tomás O'Sé's podcast with a story of a fella heading off to New Zealand, asked him to take a football with him and was laughed at, he had to reiterate that he was serious. It honestly sounds like the inter-county team (or at least some members of the panel) aren't putting in the type of commitment you'd expect at that level

Id imagine there's a fair few counties that have no idea of the sacrifices that the top players in Dublin, Kerry etc make for the cause.
    Then again, if you are rooting about trying to scrape a championship win over any county knowing you're not going to realistically win anything then why would you bother driving yourself into the ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

wonga77 wrote: »
    Id imagine there's a fair few counties that have no idea of the sacrifices that the top players in Dublin, Kerry etc make for the cause.
    Then again, if you are rooting about trying to scrape a championship win over any county knowing you're not going to realistically win anything then why would you bother driving yourself into the ground
    It shouldnt be all about winning Sam because clearly there is a wide difference in resources, players available etc. At the same time counties should have ambitions to do their best to achieve their max. Westmeath under Paidi gave their supporters a few great days and winning All stars for Dolan and Keane.
    Counties like Carlow, Leitrim etc will never win Championships outright but could certainly win their League Division and get good runs through a backdoor as Sligo and Fermanagh have done.

Advertisement