Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Forge83

Ya I couldn’t figure that out either. Tyrone player picked the ball off the ground and the whistle blew. I assumed he wasn’t playing advantage and giving us a free in…..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Foul relates to this rule: 4.35 To go outside the boundary lines to gain an advantage.

Gavin White continued his run after the pass and continued out over the line. He then played the ball after a little goal mouth scramble which is why it was a free to Tyrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Hard to know where we stand after the league. Ww have found a few players, but disappointed in a few more.

Joe O'Connor improving with every game, Cillian Burke is a real find. Armin Heinrich played well today and Sean O Brien played well.

Darragh Roche was disappointing, looking back Jack should have held on to Donal Downes. O'Bealoigh did not impress either

Looking at a championship team

Ryan

Graham

Foley ( if back from injury)

Dylan Casey?

Tom O'Sullivian

Morley

White

Diarmuid O'Connor

Joe O'Connor

Adrian Spillane

Paudie Clifford

Cillian Burke

David Clifford

Sean O Shea

Dara Moynihan

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Didint see game yesterday Just saw Galway goal there now........ Gavin White again... Jesus.. someone needs to have a word with him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

Tbf to White i don't think that kick out was on at all, not when the conditions were as greasy and slippy as they were.

He did give it away cheap enough 2 or 3 times in the first half though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

then why did he make himself available for the kick out?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Player are continually making themselves available. It's the goalie decision wheather the kickout is on or not. When I saw it going to him I taught that it was a bad decision.

Ryan has a habit of kicking out scuttery short kickouts. At time he definitely should put more pace on the ball and keep it off the ground. Players are constantly having to bend to pick up a ball skidding along the ground.

Ya GW should have done a bit better but it's Ryan making the call wheather the KO is on or not

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

Of course he has to make himself available? Its every players job to show for a ball, creating space, making decoy runs etc. Watch any good forward off the ball, they might make 3 or 4 hard runs before a ball is even kicked in their direction.

I agree with Bass, White should have probably done better but I don't think Ryan took the right option in taking it on, a kick like that has to be nailed 100% into the chest, anything less and the defender is in trouble, especially when its wet and slippy out.

Attempting anything like that against a team as clinical as the Dubs would be insanity

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭highball14

I’d make a good few changes to that

Ryan

Tom

Foley

Graham

Beaglaoich

Morley

White

Diarmuid

Barry Dan

Joe O’Connor

Seanie

Burke

Paudie

David

Killian Spillane

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Good loser

The Derry goalkeeper was brilliant yesterday. Streets ahead of Ryan who could badly do with being coached on every aspect of his play.

Note how often the Derry man ( who is very competent on the solo) got the short kick out to HIS man on the wings; then he was back in the play first or second pass and advanced up the middle often getting to mid field as the Dubs retreated marking their men. The goalie placed the ball very quickly running to placement, then stopped and stood over ball, waited and watched for scatter and punted 20/25 metres with a quick stroke - he was prepared for a dab to left/right or centre. When Ryan gets ball in his hands he rarely goes beyond 30 metres and USUAL pass is 5/6 metres to nearest player; he never even takes one opponent out of the play, not to mention 2 or 3. All this is useless for attacking momentum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 StuttgartKY

Yeah tbh I thought Ryan was excellent last year and was complaining that he didn’t get an all star. But my eyes have been opened a bit this year in the league that maybe he is not as good as I thought.

Even something as simple as how slow he is to get a quick kickout off. No matter who is playing for the Dubs they always seem to be much quicker getting the next kickout off after a score.

But in fairness Ryans shot stopping has saved us plenty times too.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭fire_man

Ladies team beaten yesterday and could have been by couple more goals.Hard to see them competing with Dublin later in year or is there more to come from this team?

The Derry goalkeeper is streets ahead of Ryan alright 🤡

It’s gone very quiet in here. Kerry V Cork and no post the morning after a match.

I think it’s pretty obvious Kerry won’t be winning the All Ireland this year. I know Cork always up their game a few levels against us but the reality is we are way off it in every department now. Too many average players combined with a manager making some very strange decisions.

Morley is a sweeper, if that role doesn’t exist then he is of no use as an out and out full back or centre back.

Sean O Brien is a converted midfielder to wing back. Looked decent in the league but got found out for championship pace yesterday on several occasions.

Joe O Connor is a defensive liability. Cork kept him on the backfoot yesterday and he offered nothing.

Adrian Spillane who is one of my favourite players was miles off it yesterday. He has never possessed a massive skill set outside of huge effort,heart and a bit of fire in him. He didn’t have that yesterday and without it shouldn’t even be on the panel.

Paudie Clifford way off the pace.

David Clifford way off the pace. However a lot of the ball into him was stupid low low ball.

Stephen O Brien was average when he came on, didn’t show much really.

On the flip side, I thought Cillian Burke was unlucky to be substituted and especially for Paul Geaney who was as usual terrible. I can’t get my head around Jack thinking that Paul Geaney can help him win an All Ireland another year older.

Seanie O Se had a massive game. Tom O Sullivan was strong on his return. Dara Moynihan had a good game. Mike Breen got a run out which is a plus as he will be needed.Paul Murphy had a great game especially second half to be fair to him as i haven’t been a fan the last 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Was talking to a lad yesterday evening and he didn't even know that the game was played and was Totally ashamedand and embarrassed as a Kerry man that will tell you how clued in some people are to this new championship format,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

if it stays that way until june what harm , its from them on the football championship takes off , ps if common sense takes place then the munster final should be on in kerry or clare this year , better crowd if nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭highball14

Kerry have every chance of winning the All Ireland. Champions in 2022 and threw it away last year, we haven’t been in great form this year but the only time form matters is at the business end. Neither Dublin or Derry are as great as they are cracked up to be. I also have some concerns about Jack O’Connor but look we will see. We have enough talent despite a few limitations in the panel, it’s up to the management to get the best out of what we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Radio5

No he isn't.

The Cork full back is a nephew of Aidan O'Mahony.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I wouldn't be too negative.

We barely lost last year. We gifted Dublin a goal and Clifford had an off day.

This team should only be peaking really based on age profile although we still need some fresh blood.

A young exciting inside forward would be nice.

Our midfield is a worry.

Kerry often play poorly in Munster yet end up lifting Sam. It's happened numerous times.

The group stage will tell us where we're at.

Paul Geaney still has plenty to offer. With packed defences, accurate long distance shooters are valuable.

Cork are a strong team despite league performances. I was impressed with them last year.

We'll be there or thereabouts in Croke Park.

We're very experienced now at the latter stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I don't think so.

There's loads of O'Sullivan's in Kerry and they're from opposite sides of the county.

• Advertisement
Advertisement