Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭cms88

As other have sai he's 28 this year. He's realistically not going to improve any more than he has. It's a bit odd how he's never been able to push on considering the amount of game time he's been given and by three different managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 StuttgartKY

Yeah I spose ye are right, I was probably looking at it a bit too pessimistically.

I was just thinking he is used to being a bit part player and would have known going into the year what his role would be. And that at this stage of the year a lot of the hard yards have already been done.

I guess as a fan I’m thinking if I was on a panel and thought there might be a medal on the way I wouldn’t be leaving.

Agree with others though, hopefully the new lads deliver and force a rise in standards across the panel. And Dara Moynihan has definitely looked improved so far.

Looking forward to Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

The CB are a joke for reappointing him. He’s a total bluffer as a manager. When you see established players dropping off the panel you know there is something seriously wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

A good test last night could have gone the other way as well poor shooting from both sides but there was a good breeze there, Darragh Moynihan had a good game looked lively, C Burke looks very promising the established lads are going nicely I would have liked to see more of A Spillane would have him over Joe O C but over all they are going nicely, what a great competition the Leigue has become like every team wants to win there games which is great, on a side note its sad to see our friends across the border doing so bad looks like they won't be playing for Sam this summer which is quite shocking to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

Thought Joe O Connor was extremely poor last night. I’m not sure about him at all. Defensively he is very very poor. Would much prefer Adrian Spillane or Barry Dan there. Gavin White was also extremely poor. A strange thing to say is that he needs to slow down a bit. Killian Burke was excellent, Dylan Geaney also looking like a great prospect. Dylan Casey also excellent. Our best player so far in the league is Graham O Sullivan, he’s absolutely flying. Is Dan O Donoghue gone completely from the panel? He was a big hope before he got injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Id say he just hit his ceiling and I imagine they will be looking to a younger player with more potential. Had a good 2022 coming on to good effect add a bit of energy in the last quarter of games especially in the AI.

Hard to know with Gavin White, his sort of blistering pace is hard to find, but you wonder at this stage would they be better off with a better footballer and maybe White on the bench to come on in second when that burst of speed has a bit more impact.

Thought Sean O Shea was quiet last night after two good games. Does he struggle a bit when he is not the focal point of the attack?

Had very few attempts on goal from play whereas Clifford should have had 7 pts from play (missed 2 sitters of points)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Very harsh post and You must have an extremely short memory there lad, we lost last year to a better team, **** happens, even in Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I taught last night was what I expect the starting championship team to be. For all of ToS and GW's flaws bother are preferable to PM at WB.

SR is obviously under instruction to come out field with the ball and to close down one side of the field on opposition kickouts. Wheather it continues into championship is another question.

When Mayo got a man send off typical of a lot of game the14 men step up a gear and the other side drop a gear. That a matter if getting the phyce right for such a situation.

What I am more worried about is the misses especially in the first half, ToS pot shots, Clifford trying to force a goal chance and still going for it when the opportunity was lost. There was 2-3 other chances that should have gone over the bar along with SoS two frees and a couple by DC.

However last weekend was a break week and there was probably hard running sessions for ten days. The game being at home may have influenced the training sessions as well. Next weekends game will give us a better idea where we stand. Dublin really need a win or they are in a real relegation dogfight. We need a win to make the league final. I think it will be a right dogfight. It really a game we need to lay down a marker in.

One thing I was surprised about was the number of Kerry players slipping on the field. It was as if they made the wrong stud choice. GW, DC, ToS, GoS, PC, JF all slipped at critical times. I do not think the Mayo players had as much a problem with underfoot conditions.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭50HX

This is shocking stuff

Long time since we were so wiped out in every position...30mins gone

• Registered Users Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It's like we are stuck to the ground

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Cillian Burke the only player with an acceptable display so far - nobody pressing up in midfield or defence, whereas by contrast, anytime we attack, they're promptly surrounded by 4-5 Dubs.

They are not mentally switched on

They minute we score the dubs are up in our full back line in 5-10 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭KerryM9

Jesus Dublin are always leaning in and down into contact looking for the contact for the free, constantly

Much better 2nd half, still alot if the faults of old & that's not superb dublin team yet they were still able to keep us at arms length

Search party needed for the Cliffords

In fairness we'd be heading for div 2 or in it this year if it wasn't for them

Doesn't excuse 2nite tho

Great, lost the 2nd half too. Embarrassing stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Danny healy ray

time to beat the dubs is next summer I'm not overly concerned about the result

That's great Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Danny healy ray

• Registered Users Posts: 23 StuttgartKY

I think more than the individual problems and aspects of the performance tonight, the biggest worry is that we just don’t have the squad depth!

For example look at the options on the bench tonight. Was this a mistake by management not to blood more players in the last couple of years or are the players just not there?

And when you look at Dublin its like trying to keep the tide out beating them nowadays, the amount of players they have is scary!

Jack and co will be very worried about prospects for the year now I think

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Kumejima

Dublin have far more key players to come back than we do. Not looking good. Might be up to Derry to stop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Lots of positives from tonight. We move to the next one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Seadin

Not being smart but how can a 10 point defeat be seen as a positive? Especially when it's a top team like Kerry?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Even if it's "only the League", it's still symptomatic of a trend over recent years (Tyrone, Mayo, Dublin) where we've performed like rabbits in the headlights ourselves, either failing to get going at all, or else building up a lead to the 50-55th minute mark, after which we get hauled in and overtaken. Of course, you also have to hold your hands up and admit the quality of Dublin's overall squad, but the weakness in both pressing and tackling, and basics like getting out in front of your man will have to be addressed if we're to at least reach the All-Ireland this year.

Advertisement