Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

David Clifford is positioning himself where he is told. It was fairly obvious tonight that he was instructed to stay near the box. High ball after high ball kicked in. Before Jack was appointed it was well discussed that his tactical knowledge of the modern game was poor. Paddy Tally’s defensive work at the time won them an All Ireland. With Morley only back and Breen plus Beaglaoich injured, our defence is gone back to being terrible and amplifying Jacks tactical ineptitude. As for outside coaches, please stop, we have plenty top coaches within the county. If I was Jack I’d be making a phone call to Eamon Fitzmaurice tomorrow morning. While I never liked him as a manager, his knowledge of the modern game is one of the best in the country and would be a huge addition.If going outside the county for a forwards coach, I wonder could Peter Canavan be tempted 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Relax lads its a league game in February... if im correct didnt we get a hiding from Mayo last year in Castlebar.... yet come summer we were only a kick away from winning all-ireland... an all ireland that was thrown away.... a bad habit that we have gotten into since the start of this millenium... we threw away 2002 v armagh, 2008 v tyrone, 2011 v dublin, 2019 v dublin and 2023 v dublin... with 2011 and 2023 being the worst though 2002 isnt far behind...

i personally am not worried bout that defeat tonight... i think you learn alot more in defeat than you do when you win... Kerry will learn alot from tonights game... and hopefully we will see the graph start to rise when the clocks go forward and summer football kicks off...

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Danny healy ray

too right lad that league is a joke roll on next summer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭wonga77

They should bring you into the management setup. You seem to have all the answers

is Paddy Tally gone from the setup?? Defence is definitely gone to pot.... its the lack of desire/hunger/passion thats lacking that worries me... are our lads afraid to tackle opposition players... we just do not play on the edge like the Limerick hurlers do or the Kilkenny hurlers did in the 00's or even the Kerry team in the 00's.. Paul Galvin, Declan Sullivan, Aidan Mahony, Darragh Se, Tomas Se.. lost count of the number of games those lads were lucky not to be sent off in... we do not have players that play on the edge like them boys did...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Rosita

You're misguidedly trying to rewrite reality about thrown away All Irelands. In 2002 the second half score was Armagh 1-5 Kerry 0-3, 2008 second half Tyrone 1-8 Kerry 0-6, 2019 second half Dublin 1-8 Kerry 0-5. All fairly emphatic margins over more than 35 minutes of football.

There might be an argument about 2011 that if Kerry had been more controlled it was there for the winning, but let's be honest, if Kerry had come from 4 points down to outscore Dublin 1-3 to 0-1 in the last ten minutes of a final they'd hardly say Dublin threw it away.

Likewise the 2023 final was there to be won at 1-13 apiece in the final minutes and it was Dublin who got the clutch scores which is what happens in close matches sometimes where one team presses on and gets the critical scores. Same thing happened Dublin v Mayo in 2017. It doesn't mean that match was thrown away. Sometimes very good/great teams are defined by the ability to get these scores when the real pressure is on in the way the Dublin's 14 men also got the equaliser (under the most intense psychological circumstances with history at stake) against Kerry in the drawn final in 2019. Would Kerry have had the ability to survive that final for so long a man down and come up with such a high pressure score to level it?

The only final of those you mention where Kerry were fairly clearly good enough to have won if they'd managed the game better was 2011 as they had a winning lead late on but even allowing that they were well outscored late on. In 2002, while the margin was very tight, Kerry were out fought and outplayed in the second half by Armagh who should get credit for coming from 4 points down at half time to win (and even took the hit of missing a penalty).

Don't torment yourself about thrown away All Irelands by Kerry. They haven't really lost one they definitely should have won since 1982. They did all the heavy lifting that day coming from 3 down at half time to go 4 points up and missed a penalty as well. That one was well and truly blown big time. None since that though.

Kerry have the misfortune to have been such a great football county that even when not having a vintage team themselves they are very often still good enough to be around when various other counties produce their exceptional teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Couldnt agree with 2019. They just about held on against a 14 man Dublin who dominated them in the last 10 mins of that game and were easily the better team in the replay.

No doubt whatsoever that the best team in the country won the AI that year.

No I'm not rewriting anything... they were thrown away.. kerry were thumped in 05 by Tyrone and well beaten by Dublin 2015... you are referring to replay v Dublin in 2019.. kerry well beaten that day... drawn match was one kerry left behind.. Dublin left plenty games behind them too back in the day... should have beaten meath a couple times but were caught... it happens all teams.. but im just worried bout matches involving Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Your 2019 half time was the replay. I imagine that while I dont agree with the poster about Kerry throwing it away, the poster was talking about the drawn game where Dublin were 3 or 4 ahead at HT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Couldn't get over how poor Kerry as a team was tonight defensively. It's been said that was the biggest score Kerry ever conceded in a league game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Kerry were stuck to the ground tonight. They were lethargic last week as well and just about got over the line against Mayo.

The league nowadays seems to be a balancing act. You have to balance training with matches. Jack was sitting up in the stand for a lot of the match disinterested. His decision on substitution's seem to indicate he was agnostic about wining the match not like last week.

However except for that 15-20 minute period after half time we were nothing the match. Even against Derry with a lot of inexperienced players we put up a better performance.

This was a game Dublin had to win, they away to Derry and Galway the next two weekends and have Tyrone at home for the final game. We have Roscommon away and Tyrone and Galway at home. Completely different run it's.

You would have expected Adrian and Connor Geany to be bought on if he was really interested in winning. No sign of SoB, Killian Spillane or O'Bealoigh tonight, they cannot all be injured IMO.

However it was still a poor enough display. Disappointing for the fans that travelled. The other problem is it makes it harder to make the league final, Derry have one step in it we are part of a contingent that all could make it. We really need that game this year

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Rosita

The poster had not mentioned the drawn game in the post I replied to so I had no way of knowing that. In any event that doesn't hold water either. Dublin had 14 men for most of the game and Kerry still didn't lead until late on and couldn't hold it. Rather than "throwing it away" they briefly had a chance to pull off an unlikely win because of circumstances.

If you need the half time score in the 2019 drawn game it was 1-10 to 0-9 for Dublin. With 15 men for the second half, and enjoying that half time lead, Dublin would likely have won by a similar margin to the replay.

It's only 2 years ago kerry went thru league and champ and only conceded was it 1 or 2 goals the whole year... where did defensive masterclasses put on that year disappear off to??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thesultan

Gooch needs yo show Clifford how to.finish one on one..

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

You are delusional. Clifford was clearly instructed yesterday to stay close to the square at all times. He made hardly any runs to the wings which he normally does. If you couldn’t see that then you clearly have no ability to read a game. Look at all the high balls that were kicked in! Clearly discussed and planned by the management team. He may not have been clinical and that’s 100% on him, but questioning his positioning is ridiculous. I suppose his positioning for kicking the winning point last week was poor too.

Again showing your complete lack of football knowledge on Fitzmaurice, he has never coached Kerry. He was the manager. They are two seperate positions. He has shown with his commentary that his ability to read the tactics of a game are unrivalled, this knowledge alone would be a huge benefit to the current set up.

I wonder sometimes if you are just a wind up merchant or you actually believe what you post.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I would not rate Cooper to Clifford. Cooper had significant failing in big matches. He had way better players around him than Clifford has.

Of the present team only Foley, Graham O'Sullivian, and the two Clifford's would be in with a shout of making the noughties team. Foley and DC would have been the best additions.

Gooch had the best big strong type full forward we ever had in Donoghy beside him. He had Declan O Sullivan at CF along with Paul Galvin and Donnach Walsh.

In defence he had Aidan O Mahoney, the O'Sheas, Tom Mccarthy, Seamus Moynihan and the real Tom O Sullivian.

We have not had a dominant MF since Darragh O'Se.

If I wanted anyone back to get involved in the Team it might be Kieran Donoghy to put a bit of bite and bollax into the players. Very few of the present team play on the edge, Duarmuid O'Connor would have been eaten alive by Darragh in a match even towards the end of his career not to mind in his heyday

We are missing Jack Barry, Fenton and O'Cofaigh Byrne woukd not have ruled the roost if he was there last night. David Clifford is missing the blocking run he made to get David free. I knew we would miss him but not by as much as we do.

Yes I think Clifford is taking a few pot shots, but I am more annoyed by the choices he is making for some of his goal chances, he be better off putting the ball over the bar.

Jack choice of a sideline panel last night was a bit strange. There are two players if we lose we will not be at the races this year and that is DC and Shane Ryan. I cannot believe we have not sourced another goalie.

On the forwards we have to hope that Cillian Burke comes through fast and Dylan Geany improves as well. We had to replace of the backs and our structure collapsed.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭beeker1

They must have played minus a goalie !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭wonga77

Your dislike for Clifford makes you hard to take seriously tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭tom23

Jaysus, yis seem to 'throwaway' a lot of matches... So Kerry dont loose matches...? just throw them away like a pair of old Penneys jeans? Is that it? theres help for that I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thesultan

I too am on about Cliffords goal attempts.. Final.last year against Dublin cutting in on the Davin end and blasts wide. Shot the other night blasts over.

He is relying too mich on power and not accuracy.

Post edited by thesultan on

• Advertisement

Whether the Gooch was a better footballer or not then Clifford I couldn't answer... but Gooch definitely was a better finisher... when he was one on one with a keeper he was cool and calm in the way he would practically pass the ball into the net... David can be a bit wild close to goal...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭tom23

Yer asking why Clifford is wild close to goal and why Gooch was a better operator? Gooch was a great player in a great Kerry team. He had an incredible supporting cast. Clifford is carrying far too much pressure, not helped been declared the best player of all time by Media and supporters alike. This Kerry tream is no where near the level that Gooches peak Kerry team was. There was less pressure on Gooch. Far too much on Clifford imo.

Advertisement