Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i know its a blast from the past but when we played mayo for a place in division 1 in 2021 and kerry a week later in the munster championship , only one player featured today and that was the goal keeper , he is an excellent coach , he has nothing to work with up here at the moment so keep an eye on him ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭50HX

Good away win today

Nice to see Sean o s rip it up a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Seadin

They were very impressive today I thought. Hard to go up there and do what they did. High scoring game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Looks in serious nick to me and moving very well, some lovely scores and movement today.

Saw hin as well v Tipp for the second half for the Cup game and he ran amok in last 20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

His boots are brutal..

Joe O'Connor put in a good shift..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Was up there today. Good win, Joe O'Connor looks the business, serious shifts by GrahamO Sullivian, Gavin White, Tom O Sullivian and Dara Moynihan to help out the new lads in the forwards.

Only negative is Paul Murphy. His day is done as a Kerry player. Against a better team he be targeted more. Great servant in his day but was a weak link last year especially in the final. We cannot afford to carry him on the team any longer. I am not even sure if he can contribute comming on especially in a game that we would be behind in. Taught he was poor last week comming on but he was unable to even really mark his own man today. If Monoghan could have got the ball over the top into the forward line when he was stranded one on one at the back we would have leaked goals.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

I posted here last year that Seanie was very flat footed so labours around the field. He has obviously been working on his running style with a coach as his mobility has improved massively. His ground contact is no longer fully flat footed. He is going to have a massive year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

A good win.. I felt the negativity after derry game was over the top... Derry are 3rd best team in the game at the moment and had 13 of the starters from last years semi against kerry on the field..

Team is taking shape.. Sean Shea could be at 14 for the year with d Clifford and moynihan either side of him.. forget about t brosnan.. loads of talent but doesn't deliver.. unfortunate for him but he's not the 1st player to have heap of talent and not make it count.. p Clifford at 11.. without doubt his best position.. Burke at 12 and maybe a Spillane or a geaney at 10.. midfield looks sorted... while I have concerns about Paul Murphy.. I think he is playing better now than 3 or 4 years ago... a player who I am concerned about is Tom sullivan... appears to me to be a guy that could do with a break from football for a bit...

Murphy is brutal and that is not being unkind. He would hardly make a good senior club team at present. He has absolutely no pace he is absolutely no help to any other defender. Opposition tend not to even track him when he makes a run after an offload.

Tom for all his flaws can get up and down the pitch and was it him that got the block in for one of the Monoghan goal chances. He is just not an intelligent playmaker footballer so CB/sweeper dose not suit him.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

S o Se looks in great shape they look hungry Burke looks good am still not too sure about Joe O C and I have been saying that with a few years and hope I am proved wrong we need a big year from A Spillane now is his time to shine win the dirty ball add a bit of physicality and as p o se said that bit of devilment to our game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭munster87

Always thought Gavin White would become a great attacking wing back but some of his decisions and loss of possession in general is concerning at this stage imo

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭highball14

You’re way off the mark on Murphy. He wouldn’t be in my starting back 6 due to physicality but he’s a very good footballer and should definitely play an important role from the bench. I’d even consider him an option for wing forward.

Tom for all his flaws!!? Tom is one of the best backs in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭cms88

Disappointing start for the hurlers. imo could be a tough season ahead. But at least there's no relegation in the league.

Another bad call from the CB. After last year imo it was clear Molumphy wasn't going to move things forward but the CB took the easy option to reappoint him again. The number of still young enongh players not involved is also worrying.

Correct.

He's been one of our most consistent players for a decade now.

Very clever player with good decision making.

Jack was at fault for last years final. Tge reason Gavin got turned over was there was no option to lay off the ball. Jack waited to react to Dublin's changes ( and even then he left it too late) twice we went 3-4 points up and tried legs cost us.

It's easy to blame the player caught in possession its what happening around him you have to watch.

When Gavin was caught in possession in ⁹last years final there was no pass option on, no player coming around behind to the the pass.

When we went 2-3 ahead after half time, we need to substitute at least two ofSOB, PM DM or PG. We needed fresh legs in the middle third of the pitch.

The operative word is BEEN, he was a good servant but he is now 32 years of age (33 in August) Tomas O Se who was a much better player than Murphy won his last AI at 31 on the field of play Murphy is not a Tomas, he is now too old and too slow at this stage. His strenght was his engine to cover ground aling with his ability to read a game, but his engine is gone. Add to that he has got no physical presence and our middle third is too small anyway

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭munster87

GW was kicking ball aimlessly into the full forward line against Derry. Those days are long gone

He was good last year.

Maybe he shouldn't be starting games but his experience is useful closing out games.

He's one of our most experienced players now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Hmm, not sure about that.

First of all Paul Murphy had dropped back as the option behind Gavin White in the AI Final. Gavin just made an individual error and passed the ball when he should have just dummied it and kept soloing the ball.

Hard to blame Jack for that or for the fact that Clifford shot 30% below his normal production rate. It's just one of those things. A couple of mistakes, Dublin took advantage and deservedly won the game.

Jack is never slow to make subs (as Sean O'Brien and Ronan Buckley have found out in the last fortnight). I didn't have any issue with Jack's substitutions or timing to be honest.

Having said all that I'm not concerned at all about Gavin White. Much like Killian Spillane and Dara Moynihan, he can't show anything near his best playing on pitches like Tralee and Clones in the winter. We'll get a good idea where he is at in Round 4 in Croke Park. Just look at the difference for Stephen O'Hanlon in week 1 and week 2. In Croke Park he was burning, Murchin and McCaffrey. In Clones, Tom pretty much kept him under wraps and managed to kick a couple of points himself. Tom would have been in for an awful rough day if that game was in Crocker.

As for Murphy, he had a fine game up in Monaghan, having to stand in as a Corner Back once Morley came on and was left one on one with his man with plenty of space in front of him. His one big error was getting blown out of it prior to Monaghan's goal. He got too tight to a bigger man and was shrugged away. Other than that he was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Micheal Burns has left the panel.

• Advertisement

We gifted them a goal and Clifford had a stinker.

It was one of the most painful losses in my life supporting Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 StuttgartKY

Might not have been the most exciting player to watch as a fan, but its definitely not a good sign to see fellas leaving the panel especially at this stage of year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

I wouldn't read that much into it. He's 28, never broke into the 1st 15 and competition for places is no doubt fierce at this time of the year, started against Derry and back on the bench against Monaghan.

Kerry have better options available from the bench so I'd say he just realised where he was in the pecking order and made a decision which I've a lot of respect for.

I be of the same opinion as you, he may even have bern given a hint and given the chance to leave/retire on his own terms or as you say saw the new talent and decided he would not be getting game time even as a substitute.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement