Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,225 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

According to Jackie was nearly fit before the Derry game. Ya ideally you would not be giving him only last 3-5 minutes + injury time. However with Brosnan supposed to be a doubt we have no proven inside forward

Presuming the team that started against Derry starts the first two on will be Stephen O Brien and O'Bealoigh. They are the only two proven players going on.

It depends if he needs an inside Forward then KS comes into the equation.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

For all we know Killian Spillane is flying in training. He was training before the Derry game.

Our "Joker in the pack" could be putting Shane Ryan in full forward. Swap Geaney for Shane Murphy.

No way would I be putting Shane Murphy in goals. He did not inspire confidence in me in the league this year.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

Joker in the pack indeed. It would have to be a joke to see that happen. Borderline troll post.

I'm only praying nothing happens to Ryan to keep Murphy as far away from any action as possible let alone throwing him into an All Ireland final.

Shane Ryan isn't far off an intercounty level forward. Got MOTM playing FF for Rathmore in AI final.

Shane Murphy was our first choice keeper not long ago.

I'm just talking about for 5 or 10 minutes if we're out of options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I’d imagine Brian will start ahead of Murphy with the rest of the team being the same.

We will need someone outside of David & Seanie to have a big day in front of goal for us- Geaney or Paudi will need to do 3/4 from play for us.

Its going to be a tough one as we are starting with 2 forwards who don’t trouble the score board regularly and i feel that Moynihan needs to have a big game or else I can see us being in trouble.

this game will be the making of Deemo at midfield and he has the opportunity to cement his place as a top level midfielder if he can get on top of McCarthy.

Moran is a big loss here and we will miss his direct kick passing into the inside line- we’ll need to go direct again like we did last year as they will constantly drop off Spillane & Moynihan to create a crowd around David.

We’ll need 1-18 or so to win the game- David & Seanie will give us around 12/13, where is the rest going to come from us the question we need to answer

There was an analysis in the Indo that we get approximately 50% of our points from Clifford and O'Shea

Dara Moynihan can take a score. Paudi Clifford also. Diarmuid O'Connor can score. Tom Sullivan also. Gavin White.

I predicted Geaney to have a big final last year but he didn't, so maybe this is chance to shine. Maybe retire on a high.

The infamous post match party has been renamed to end of season gathering afte all the heat they took last year 😂😂 comical

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

That's a pity about Tony Brosnan would love to see one player stand up and a have a great final not the usual suspects, could it be Paul geaney, an early goal perhaps like 2014, might throw a few quid on him to score first goal.

• Advertisement

Of course they can take a score but we will need one of them to step up and do it on the big day - i think we will need someone outside Seanie and David to kick 3/4 points. Time for lads to stand up and be counted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Parnells won the intermediate hurling title by 10 points against Brendan's B tonight - normally, you'd imagine they'd decide to go senior, but the hidings Crokes have been getting might give them second thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

To be fair they are a better hurling team than Crokes last year and this year. Playing intermediate will do nothing for them. Time for them to move up to senior now. If anything Crokes should go back down to intermediate, they have little or no juvenile development within the club and are deluding themselves in their current club hurling structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭jack747

An absolute long shot and apologies (Mods, Please delete) if against boards/thread rules but looking for single for myself in case anyone has a miracle spare for Sunday that they are somehow looking to shift. Please DM me! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Unsurprisingly, Stephen O'Brien starts after his second half display against Derry:

The major concern would be who'll provide the scores off the bench coming into the last 10-15 minutes, and given the Dublin panel, we'll probably need a 2-3 point cushion going into that spell.

Could be some mind games too….Unless he’s injured Adrian Spillane will start.

Wouldn't expect that. Stephen brings a lot more experience to that line against what will be a very experienced dublin half back line. Adrian has been in no great shakes in recent games either

Ah now he’s had one bad game against Derry. He was excellent against Tyrone. Stephen’s a massive mismatch to Howard on kick outs and Howard isn’t slow either for a big guy. I’m not saying Stephen doesn’t deserve to start but bringing Adrian on at 50/60 mins isn’t going to impact the game. Sure we will see Sunday but I have a sneaking feeling there will be a change or 2.

Adrian will bring pace and power when lads are fading. Same for Killian and Begley.

There was talk from pundits during the week about teams being able to drop off Moynihan and Spillane to cover Clifford. I think O Brien is too dangerous to leave him alone cos he'd be good for a couple of points so it gives Dublin a headache in that regard. Adrian would be raring to get in if he doesn't start either so would be full of running if introduced when O Brien fades.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Nailed it with regard to Dublin sweeper dobby. Also I think the Kerry backroom will sleep a bit easier with a good middle third ball winner on the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The two Spillanes to come on for Geaney and O'Brien and then Burns to replace Moynihan will be the plan I guess. Brosnan is a real loss but we're bringing in three guys with good recent final performances off the bench.

Begley and Breen are good subs in the back too. Would prefer Begley starting but if you can get away with Murphy for 45/50 mins Begley is a savage option off the bench if the game is tight.

Good point on Dublin needing to keep a man on O Brien as he’s a scoring threat. Massive Adrian fan but the one thing he definitely doesn’t have is pace. Massive work rate and power yes though.I still think Howard is going to win a lot of kick outs now that side of the field and himself and Gannon will get rewarded on that side and also pull Geaney down the pitch with them. Spillane and O Brien nearly be a better option with Geaney on bench.

Geaney and Killian are too similar coming on. Another reason Jack may have holding Adrian back( other than an injury doubt ) is other than Barry Dan they have limited options to cover an injury at midfield. CP may not suit Barry Dan as it's a big pitch to cover

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Good loser

Stephen has a poor tackling technique. Too headlong. Practically always gets a yellow card early on. And does not hold back after. A candidate for a black/red card? Risky to start him for these reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Begley's actually very experienced at this stage. He played in 2016 semi final.

He's a great option to have. Mike Breen also has been good but not as experienced.

We're definitely lacking an inside forward to come through. A James O'Donaghue type would be perfect. Can beat a man, win his own ball, score off either foot, a goal threat. That would take some of the heat off Clifford.

My hope is we're a point or two ahead in final stretch and then we hang on using our experience and composure.

I don't fancy us overhauling a two point deficit like we did against Derry.

Killian Spillane played a lot in the league and Munster Championship and hasn't featured since then AFAIK.

He had two or three training sessions before Derry game so wasn't ready. Does anyone know what injury he had?

We need him badly, unless Donal Down and Ruarie Murphy are shooting the lights out in training.

Its a pity that Moran & Savage arent around this year as I think the former would be huge for us and the latter would be very close to starting.

You're probably right that Jack wants to occupy as many of their backs as possible and I think the logical conclusion was that the dubs would have the option of dropping off our 2 wing forwards.

I prefer Stephen off the bench and really expected that but I can see the logic of starting him and Jack probably knows a little bit more about winning All Ireland finals than myself.

This is the day where boys make legacies - lads like Dara Moynihan who have blown hot & cold can put their names up in lights

• Advertisement
Advertisement