Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Strike implications re Cancellations NO INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS POSTS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Danielvarian1

30 flights being cancelled.

All flights apparently from Ireland to Europe will run as normal.

Source:

https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/irish-customer-update-pilot-strike-thurs-12-july/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

30 flights being cancelled.

All flights apparently from Ireland to Europe will run as normal.

Source:

https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/irish-customer-update-pilot-strike-thurs-12-july/

That's me 120 euros down an extra Aer Lingus flight then. Oh well, I just couldn't take the gamble and wait.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Has anyone managed to change their flight online? Says I cant change mine and to contact customer service

That's me 120 euros down an extra Aer Lingus flight then. Oh well, I just couldn't take the gamble and wait.

Is it possible for me to book an outgoing ticket and just use my ryanair one on the way back from
    Italy?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

What does this line mean?
    For customers travelling to the UK we will also be assisting them with alternative transport on comparable operators (both flights & ferries) where there is some limited space available.

I'm travelling to the UK on Thursday for work and back on the same day. My booking says flight confirmed and I havent received any emails/texts etc.

Is there a list of cancelled flights?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭PCros

godtabh wrote: »
    What does this line mean?

I'm travelling to the UK on Thursday for work and back on the same day. My booking says flight confirmed and I havent received any emails/texts etc.

Is there a list of cancelled flights?

Its only some UK flights, you are one of the lucky ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Does anyone have a list of cancelled flights..I googled but cant find one

I just went into the "my bookings" portion of the ryanair app

Should also say, I didnt get a text or email about it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

PCros wrote: »
    Its only some UK flights, you are one of the lucky ones.

i'm just worried about flying over and not been able to get back!

Lackey wrote: »
    Does anyone have a list of cancelled flights..I googled but cant find one

They haven't published a list of the cancelled flights. If you did not receive a change in flight email you are ok.

• Advertisement

ktulu123 wrote: »
    I just went into the "my bookings" portion of the ryanair app

Should also say, I didnt get a text or email about it

Your flight was cancelled but you didn't get a notification about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/travel-updates

Just double checked here thanks

PCros wrote: »
    Your flight was cancelled but you didn't get a notification about it?

Yes, it was my mothers flight. No notification, just been keeping an eye here. I was lucky though and sent them a message on twitter. They got in touch through DM and they changed the flight to the next morning. The website and app function to change flights wasn't working for me.

Thankfully got sorted, but I suspect I will be in the minority as the flight that my mother got changed to is now sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

It looks like this hasn't been updated with cancellations as there are no cancellations listed to Stanstead/Luton/Manchester/East Midlands/Liverpool or Gatwick
    You would expect cancellations to some of these airports
    FR are making a right mess of this!

That is showing scheduled for my mothers cancelled flight, just an FYI for people looking at this.

Have you guys got any advice for me? I can see the union stating there may be more strikes in July, we’re due to fly out on the 24th to Rome and fly home to Ireland on the 29th. With the prospects of strikes looming, would I be better off to buy 2 one way tickets to Rome just to ease my mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

I just got the email cancelled flight to Manchester

6.30 flight was hoping to get to a car auction that only happens once in a blue moon.

Alas its not to be.

does EU261 kick in here?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭trellheim

Strike is on.

https://twitter.com/Ryanair/status/1017086362653208576

Crossposting to here to keep people in the loop

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bazzy wrote: »

does EU261 kick in here?

Basically no, however its probably worth holding on to documentation in case there is an appropriate court decision in the future

Wildcat strikes are not considered 'extraordinary circumstances' but planned ones are which seems rather backwards. That court decision is only months old and almost certainly someone will take a case to try extend upon it

261 is an odd regulation in that most of the valid reasons for claim are from court judgements not the legislation - there is no obvious compensation for delays in legislation but multiple court judgements have declared that there is.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Much of the reasoning behind that is that a planned strike should have allowed the airline time to resolve the issue or organise alternative transport for the day.

You may be understanding this backwards

The wildcat strike is NOT considered extraordinary

The planned one IS considered extraordinary. Despite all the time to sort it out either via talks, hire ins, whatever; they have a total get out from paying compensation.

• Advertisement

Lucky for me I booked 2 single tickets for Aer Lingus to Rome on the 24th, and can use our Ryanair return on the way. Thinking ahead always works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Lucky for me I booked 2 single tickets for Aer Lingus to Rome on the 24th, and can use our Ryanair return on the way. Thinking ahead always works out.

And ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I'm surprised at how little disruption was yesterday. I expected it to be greater.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I'm surprised at how little disruption was yesterday. I expected it to be greater.

I think being a large pan-European airline heavily reliant on contractors gives Ryanair quite a bit of leway to handle this. They can fly pilots in from other bases and add extra hours to contractors. Combined to the fact that since only a quarter of their Irish pilots are employees and thus even a strike by 100% of employees just means a quarter of the pilots are missing.

But if there was a more prolonged strike at some point, it would probably be hard to sustain the extra effort over a couple of days/weeks, and it would probably have a medium term knock-on effect with those “backup” pilots reaching their yearly maximum number of flying hours faster than originally scheduled.

Feck sake, first my mothers flight cancelled on Thursday. Now they are striking next Friday when I am going home for the weekend :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Meant to be flying with them from the UK to Dublin July 24th.

When it is likely to be confirmed that the flight will/will not go ahead? Should I just book an alternative flight now to be safe?

Car99 wrote: »
    And ?

And I’m saying that’s a good thing now that I have my holiday secured. Why the attitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Anahita

Any idea if these "rolling strikes" will carry on into August? I've a flight from Knock to Faro departing on Aug 18 th and returning Aug 28 th. I've yet to pay the full accommodation costs (I've paid a deposit of 2 nights of the 10 nights) or my car rental and I'm holding off doing so as long as possible ( it's by bank transfer not by credit card) just in case the flights are cancelled.

Any one have any idea how fast in advance the decisions might be made? I'm pretty sure I can build off paying for the accommodation until 2 wks/10 nights prior to travel.

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Anahita wrote:
    Any idea if these "rolling strikes" will carry on into August? I've a flight from Knock to Faro departing on Aug 18 th and returning Aug 28 th. I've yet to pay the full accommodation costs (I've paid a deposit of 2 nights of the 10 nights) or my car rental and I'm holding off doing so as long as possible ( it's by bank transfer not by credit card) just in case the flights are cancelled.

All really depends on negotiations, could go for months, could all be sorted in the next couple of weeks, play it safe and hold off for a while

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Anahita wrote: »
    I've a flight from Knock to Faro !
    This will be operated by a Faro based aircraft.
    You need to search what action they are planning not what is currently happening in Ireland.

Advertisement