Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Strike implications re Cancellations NO INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS POSTS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Geuze wrote: »
    Ok.

Mine is as follows, Thur 12-Jul:

DUB-MUC
    1710-2030

MUC-DUB, my flight home
    2110-2240

Now, the turnaround is not the usual 25mins, it's 40 mins??

sorry yes as pointed out by others...25 at dublin and anything up to 40 mins generally

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

trellheim wrote: »
    Flights the day after a strike are likely to be affected - thats almost a given

That makes me :(

I'm flying from LCY so no issues but all the other lads are flying from DUB with Ryanair. It could be a very lonely weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

Will flights to and from Knock Airport be affected?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,552 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Ok.

Mine is as follows, Thur 12-Jul:

DUB-MUC
    1710-2030

MUC-DUB, my flight home
    2110-2240

Now, the turnaround is not the usual 25mins, it's 40 mins??

The late arrival time in Dublin is a bit of a giveaway that the aircraft is Dublin based. Ryanair don’t operate any flights out of Dublin post-22:00, therefore the aircraft has to be based in Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

for arguments sake my flight on Thursday morning is cancelled and I choose that they put me on the next available flight, how long would I be looking at before the next available will even be? Is there any way of even making a rough guess?

I imagine it will be crazy with so many others in the same boat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭CoisFharraige

ureds wrote: »
    Will flights to and from Knock Airport be affected?

On the day expect continent-wide delays, but it should not affect knock flights in terms of cancellations. Nobody knows at this stage, though.

on the verge here of paying €350 for flights & €150 for accommodation to go two days earlier with a different airline to cement my holiday rather than run the risk of my Thursday morning flight with Ryanair :(

I just have a worrying feeling it will get cancelled and when it does, the next available flight will eat in to my holiday too much waiting around.

This sucks!

DVDM93 wrote: »
    on the verge here of paying €350 for flights & €150 for accommodation to go two days earlier with a different airline to cement my holiday rather than run the risk of my Thursday morning flight with Ryanair :(

I just have a worrying feeling it will get cancelled and when it does, the next available flight will eat in to my holiday too much waiting around.

This sucks!

Can you book a refundable ticket maybe? That might mean that in the case of RYR you get your refund and compensation and extend your holiday by two days, or if it gets resolved in the meantime get a refund off Aer Lingus (I presume that’s who your flying with instead) and the hotel also, if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

This sucks!

I booked alternative flights to Nice with Aer Lingus for the 12th. I just couldn't take the gamble waiting until Tuesday to know whether the strike would be going ahead or not, as I would have been charged for the first night of the hotel if I didn't cancel by Monday and that would have cost me more than the alternative flight did! I was also worried the price of flights would go up sharply if I didn't book quickly.

We couldn't take alternative dates either, as we have days booked off work and childcare arranged, so I had to bite the bullet and re-book with another airline.

Best of luck to you; it's just the worst luck they chose our departure date to strike! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭eoh70

Anyone know if flights from Shannon will be cancelled also?

• Advertisement

Sorry phone is very temperamental

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

for arguments sake my flight on Thursday morning is cancelled and I choose that they put me on the next available flight, how long would I be looking at before the next available will even be? Is there any way of even making a rough guess?

I imagine it will be crazy with so many others in the same boat!

Completely depends on how busy/frequent the route is.

If you're on a high demand route which only runs every second day, very few chances of the next available flight being anytime soon after the cancelation. If you're on a route which runs several times a day and is not to congested, you could get a flight on the same or the next day.

Technically I believe you are also entitled to them rebooking your with another airline is they can't provide an alternative route themselves, but in practise I'd say you would struggle to get Ryanair to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭dibs101

This sucks!

I’ve just done the same, paid 350 for family to go to Faro in the Monday instead of waiting till Thursday. Small price to pay for piece of mind and 3 extra days in the sun. If Strike goes ahead we claim back to money for Thursday’s flight, if not we look at the positives and have 3 extra days away. Not worth the aggravation waiting until later and possibly having your holiday cut short.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

If they can't rebook me on a flight and I'm stuck somewhere abroad, will I be entitled to room & board until such time as they can book me on an alternative?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Given the EU 261 cancellation compensation seems to apply to staff strikes, could people now techically book a cheap flight and hope for the cancellation?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,819 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

castie wrote: »
    Given the EU 261 cancellation compensation seems to apply to staff strikes, could people now techically book a cheap flight and hope for the cancellation?
    If you could find a cheap flight a week's notice in high season.....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    castie wrote: »
    If you could find a cheap flight a week's notice in high season.....

Dublin to Gatwick 22 euro at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

This might help some people....

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/ryanair-strike-q-a-what-should-i-do-if-my-flight-is-cancelled-1.3553549?mode=amp

I’m lucky to be flying next Tuesday so escaping but who knows if we’ll get caught up on the return. I wonder who classifies an expense/hotel etc as reasonable if needed for extra nights etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,092 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

billie1b wrote: »
    Dublin is one of only a few airports that still does 25 minute turnarounds, it’s a minimum of 35 minutes in most airports now. Your MUC flight is a Dublin based aircraft

Thanks. So it's a Dublin-based aircraft, ok.

From RTE today:

"IALPA balloted around 100 directly employed pilots based in Ireland.

However, Ryanair also employs up to 300 more pilots as contractors, self-employed or agency staff, who will not be striking."

Does this mean that some/many flight will still operate from DUB?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Thanks. So it's a Dublin-based aircraft, ok.

From RTE today:

"IALPA balloted around 100 directly employed pilots based in Ireland.

However, Ryanair also employs up to 300 more pilots as contractors, self-employed or agency staff, who will not be striking."

Does this mean that some/many flight will still operate from DUB?

The consensus here seems to be that most directly employed pilots are captains while few contractors are ... and since you need a captain in the cockpit they will be the bottleneck beading to fairly mass cancellations of the strikes goes ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭riddles

Hi,

I am due to fly to Malaga from Dublin on the 26th of July. I have non refundable accommodation. As the flight originates from Dublin - I guess this announcement today should not affect this flight?

Thanks,
    R

Unions representing Ryanair cabin crew in Portugal, Spain and Belgium on Thursday announced two days of strike action for late July, and said further action may follow if the Irish airline does not make concessions on employment terms.

Cabin crew in Italy will hold a 24-hour strike on July 25 and crew in Spain, Portugal and Belgium will strike for 48 hours on July 25-26, five unions said.

The statement was signed by Belgium's CNE/LBC, Spain's SITCPLA and USO, Portugal's SNPVAC and Italy's Ultrasporti union.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

riddles wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am due to fly to Malaga from Dublin on the 26th of July. I have non refundable accommodation. As the flight originates from Dublin - I guess this announcement today should not affect this flight?

I am in the same situation going from Cork to Malaga on 26th (early morning), and hoping as you are that as flight originates in Ireland that it will be ok, but does it depend on where the plane comes from the night before?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

riddles wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks,
    R

We're in a similar boat, flying from Shannon to Faro on the 25th, if our flight originates from Portugal the previous day does that mean we won't get a flight out?

I got this reply from Ryanair chat support. Two days notice in advance of cancellations - this seems not so true. I recall in France in May seeing Ryanair passengers stranded in a French airport only finding out on arrival their flights were cancelled but this I guess was unofficial French ATC strike action and out of their control

-
    3:43 pm
    Hello Mr -. How may I help you?

-
    Hi I am due to fly Dublin to malaga on thurs the 26th of july. I saw cabin crew in Spain announced potential strike action on the 25th and 26th of July. As my flight originates from Dublin - do you think this strike could have any impact on my planned flight?
    -
    Dear-if your flight get cancelled or delayed ryanair will inform you about this via an email

Mr -
    in terms of forward planning is there any advance notice to ensure my vacation is not impacted?
    how much notice is given in advance of a cancellation?
    Read
    -
    Dear-you have to wait for an official notice from ryanair regarding cancellation which they will send you at least 2 days prior to departure

We're in a similar boat, flying from Shannon to Faro on the 25th, if our flight originates from Portugal the previous day does that mean we won't get a flight out?

That flight is operated by a Shannon-based aircraft. In theory that should mean it will be fine, however they could use that crew on a different flight to suit their needs based on passeneger numbers or more severe delays elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,552 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

A little bit of guidance - Ryanair do not overnight staff at other bases.

So if your flight is prior to 07:30 in the morning, it will be operated by staff from that base.

If the flight arrives post say 22:00 it will be operated by staff based in the arrival airport.

Obviously it gets trickier to figure out during the day but that rule of thumb should give some guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Danielvarian1

Myself and my fiancée booked our first holiday together recently. We were due to fly to Italy out of Dublin at 7am on the 26th of July, we got worried when we heard the news about the strike in Italy on the 25th and did not want to risk losing our holiday so we rebooked with Ryanair for the 24th the day before the strike. Costly but peace of mind is priceless.

First of all I want to say thanks to everyone who has offered help & advice on here the last couple of days, between private messages and this thread you've all been great!

I bit the bullet, rather than take the risk on what is to be my girlfriend's birthday present and wait to see if Ryanair decide to cancel or not cancel my flight Thursday morning, I've decided we go with Aer Lingus on Tuesday instead.

€500 or so extra between flights and accommodation for the two extra nights as well as two days extra PTO at work, a tough one to take tbh.

If flights go ahead, it'll be nearer an €800 loss, if not and I get my refund, a €150 loss, but two extra days abroad for it and it won't be so bad.

That said, the latter I'd rather do out as the likelihood is that families, couples, solo travellers, etc... will be left in a sh1tty situation come Tuesday if this strike goes ahead and said people are scheduled to fly Thursday & take the risk.

Anyway, whatever ye all do, be it big trip or small, I hope it works out one way or the other.

Money can be made back per se, but the likes of family holidays are priceless as too the memories made on them won't be forgotten, this whole situation will.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Danielvarian1

First of all I want to say thanks to everyone who has offered help & advice on here the last couple of days, between private messages and this thread you've all been great!

I bit the bullet, rather than take the risk on what is to be my girlfriend's birthday present and wait to see if Ryanair decide to cancel or not cancel my flight Thursday morning, I've decided we go with Aer Lingus on Tuesday instead.

€500 or so extra between flights and accommodation for the two extra nights as well as two days extra PTO at work, a tough one to take tbh.

If flights go ahead, it'll be nearer an €800 loss, if not and I get my refund, a €150 loss, but two extra days abroad for it and it won't be so bad.

That said, the latter I'd rather do out as the likelihood is that families, couples, solo travellers, etc... will be left in a sh1tty situation come Tuesday if this strike goes ahead and said people are scheduled to fly Thursday & take the risk.

Anyway, whatever ye all do, be it big trip or small, I hope it works out one way or the other.

Money can be made back per se, but the likes of family holidays are priceless as too the memories made on them won't be forgotten, this whole situation will.

Same thing for us, not risking losing our first holiday memories together so changed my flights to the 24th.

• Advertisement

I have flown Ryanair many times and not had an issue. Having seen what's happened to people with cancelled flights since last year and into this year. I personally will not be booking with them again. I will take my chances my booked flight will go out this time and then that's it. The brand was pretty clear, get you from A to B, no frills. Now its a case of maybe get you from A to wherever.

Advertisement