Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Strike implications re Cancellations NO INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS POSTS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Why no mention about Italy when cabin crew there are also supposed to be going on strike on the 25th? Flights not affected there or?

There was an announcement today details on their Twitter 300 flights cancelled on 25th and another 300 on 26th. Spain , Portugal , Italy etc.. all hit

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭dibs101

Flights on 26th fully booked so I have to wait till the 27th, so I assume they will pick up the bill for extra nights accom within reason?

dibs101 wrote: »
    Flights on 26th fully booked so I have to wait till the 27th, so I assume they will pick up the bill for extra nights accom within reason?

You might be in luck if your flying into Dublin as 27th is now full also. Be quick to nab the 28th as there'll be alot of people rebooking to grab the few available seats.

Someone else may be able to clarify as im not sure if you rebook for the 28th if that is saying to them that you accept that as the full resolution or if you have to go through other channels to get the welfare needs met as theoretically if you self rebook online that is your choice.

It's so bloody murky and really calling Ryanair is your best bet as you are going to get conflicting advice on here which may or may not be correct in Ryanair land.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭titan18

What are the odds of this continuing to end of August/start of September? Think of booking a flight to Berlin and just half dodgy with Ryanairs strikes and the cancellations at same time last year.

titan18 wrote: »
    What are the odds of this continuing to end of August/start of September? Think of booking a flight to Berlin and just half dodgy with Ryanairs strikes and the cancellations at same time last year.

Was thinking the same myself for Canaries. I reckon if Aer Lingus were no more than €50 more expensive then I'd pay to go with them and consider it insurance. Even if they too ended up with a strike on their hands I'd be more confident I'd be better looked after than seeing the crap people are having to deal with with FR.

If alternative flights were significantly more expensive i think I'd take the punt and book a refundable/pay on arrival hotel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Danielvarian1

There was an announcement today details on their Twitter 300 flights cancelled on 25th and another 300 on 26th. Spain , Portugal , Italy etc.. all hit

Lucky for me I booked Aer Lingus as a backup for the 24th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

dibs101 wrote: »
    So Ryanair have cancelled my flight home from Portugal on the 26th, there is an alternative flight home that night. Question is, if I decide to stay for another couple of days and come home on the 28th, will Ryanair cover my accommodation costs even though there is an alternative flight on the 26th?

Thanks in advance!

When did you get notice? I have a flight booked from Knock to Faro for my son and six friends of his, on the morning of 26th so will be sweating it out for a few days hoping all gets resolved..

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

raiders11 wrote: »
    When did you get notice? I have a flight booked from Knock to Faro for my son and six friends of his, on the morning of 26th so will be sweating it out for a few days hoping all gets resolved..
    Depends on where the aircraft is based? What time is the flight leaving?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

I believe notice went out yesterday through text or email.

Checked status of my flight (26th July / Cork-Malaga), and it is shown as scheduled, so hoping there will be no more changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Depends on where the aircraft is based? What time is the flight leaving?

The flight leaves knock at 10.45am but I think it's on a plane that originated from Faro to Knock earlier that morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭dibs101

Got notice at 2.55PM via text and e mail

• Registered Users Posts: 17,643 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The flight leaves knock at 10.45am but I think it's on a plane that originated from Faro to Knock earlier that morning

There are no aircraft based at Knock so your assumption would be correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Just ended up booking with Aer Lingus and back on Ryanair. At least if the flight is cancelled coming into Ireland, the holiday isn't ruined like it would be on the outgoing flight.

Hard to trust them atm with everything over the lasy year or so that your flight is definitely happening

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Anahita

Any guesses as to whether these strikes will continue into August (specifically the Portuguese staff?)...it was suggested earlier in this thread (thank you!!) to me to check out the Portuguese RA staff strikes which I tried to do but there was very little that I could understand or gather from Google searches.

Thanks for any info. It's a Knock-Faro flight in mid-August. I know that the flight crew is based in Portugal-not Ireland. Many thanks to all the experts helping out on this thread. Much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Anahita wrote: »
    Any guesses as to whether these strikes will continue into August (specifically the Portuguese staff?)...it was suggested earlier in this thread (thank you!!) to me to check out the Portuguese RA staff strikes which I tried to do but there was very little that I could understand or gather from Google searches.

Thanks for any info. It's a Knock-Faro flight in mid-August. I know that the flight crew is based in Portugal-not Ireland. Many thanks to all the experts helping out on this thread. Much appreciated!

Hard to say as it depends on how the conflict between the unions and Ryanair evolves. If no compromise is found there could be more strikes. But probably a discussion to continue on the industrial relations thread.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Hard to say as it depends on how the conflict between the unions and Ryanair evolves. If no compromise is found there could be more strikes. But probably a discussion to continue on the industrial relations thread.

You're right. My apologies and I'll head over there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

For info in case anyone finds themselves in a similar situstion.

I had a return leg flight cancelled on thursday the 12th july, dub to lgw . Got an email with options to refund or change flight and if nothing suitable contact customer service.

Next available flight with Ryanair was on the saturday the 14th . Not suitable.

Contacted Ryanair Chat customer team after a queuing time of 70+ mins, I explained my situation that i didnt want a refund i wanted another flight and Ryanair had nothing available which was suitable.

(I found a flight with Aer Lingus that was suitable.)

Pascal my Ryanair chat host sent me a link to fill out a form , a request for refund form , he told me do this then we can process a refund for the difference in cost between the alternate flight I was booking and the original flight . Made no sense to me so I refused .

He said in this case the procedure is, you may book a flight with another carrier of which he listed 6 or 7 including Aer Lingus and then to make a complaint to Ryanair via their complaints section on their website uploading bank details and receipt and they will process it.
    (I have screen grabs of the agents conversation with me)

Anyways I have just received a reply from Ryanair regarding my claim. And they said as I refused to rebook with Ryanair they have no more obligations to me other than to refund my original fare which they are now processing.

Not much more I can do about it I guess except make a note not to take the word of Ryanair customer service as anything but waffle .

Since then I've had two more flights cancelled by the Ryan's unlucky me 3 strikes 3 cancellations the latest two cancellation I could rebook with Ryanair luckily for me.

Car99 wrote: »

I had a return leg flight cancelled on thursday the 12th july, dub to lgw . Got an email with options to refund or change flight and if nothing suitable contact customer service.

Contacted Ryanair Chat customer team after a queuing time of 70+ mins, I explained my situation that i didnt want a refund i wanted another flight and Ryanair had nothing available which was suitable.

Pascal my Ryanair chat host sent me a link to fill out a form , a request for refund form , he told me do this then we can process a refund for the difference in cost between the alternate flight I was booking and the original flight . Made no sense to me so I refused .

He said in this case the procedure is, you may book a flight with another carrier of which he listed 6 or 7 including Aer Lingus and then to make a complaint to Ryanair via their complaints section on their website uploading bank details and receipt and they will process it.

Anyways I have just received a reply from Ryanair regarding my claim. And they said as I refused to rebook with Ryanair they have no more obligations to me other than to refund my original fare which they are now processing.

Not much more I can do about it I guess except make a note not to take the word of Ryanair customer service as anything but waffle .

Since then I've had two more flights cancelled by the Ryan's unlucky me 3 strikes 3 cancellations the latest two cancellation I could rebook with Ryanair luckily for me.

So, what would you have done differently?

I would avoid ryanair chat and I would have called Ryanair and let them tell me what options they had available and let them process the bookings on their side and pick up the cost of associated costs of my delay under eu261 using their eu261 claims page.

I was travelling on my own so only had one flight to buy but if my family were with me it would have been x4 the cost of a replacement flight, in that case I'd let Ryanair sort it out.

I would avoid ryanair chat and I would have called Ryanair and let them tell me what options they had available and let them process the bookings on their side and pick up the cost of associated costs of my delay under eu261 using their eu261 claims page.

I was travelling on my own so only had one flight to buy but if my family were with me it would have been x4 the cost of a replacement flight, in that case I'd let Ryanair sort it out.

Screen grab of chat.
    Small claims court
    Receive cheque.

Ryanair are relying on pax ignorance of their rights here.

• Advertisement

Screen grab of chat.
    Small claims court
    Receive cheque.

I was thinking of it but is it alot of hassle ?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭CoisFharraige

Screen grab of chat.
    Small claims court
    Receive cheque.

I was thinking of it but is it alot of hassle ?

Hassle? Yes. Worth it? Yes.

Screen grab of chat.
    Small claims court
    Receive cheque.

Very helpful! I'll be back (well, actually, hopefully not!!) if my own flight is cancelled seeking your advice. You've been a great help on this thread! Much appreciated! It's kind of counterintuitive in many ways because the phone/chat staff present you with an option and in a panic you take it---but as you say, they are only working for their own best interests.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I would avoid using Ryanair...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Why?

Everyone gives out about them but its the first place they look when booking flights.

Sure, this striking is a pain for everyone. But once Ryanair sort the small issues (i.e its not about pay as they keep saying) it will all be fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

b757 wrote: »

Why?

Everyone gives out about them but its the first place they look when booking flights.

Sure, this striking is a pain for everyone. But once Ryanair fix the small issues (i.e its not about pay as they keep saying) it will all be fixed.
    And until it's 'fixed' I won't be using them...
    My travel arrangements are too important to me to entrust to Ryanair for the time being, I don't want to be sitting around waiting to find out if my flight has been cancelled and I certainly don't have time to be hanging for hours on a phone line waiting to discuss my options if my flight has been affected or having to take screen grabs of the conversation with an online agent in case I need to take it to court..!
    I pay extra to fly with another carrier for the same reason I buy travel insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

In August I have flights booked with Ryanair to Holland. I will need to book hotels. The whole thing is a pain in the backside. Looking to book for November....not looking at Ryanair though.

Anyone manage to speak to Ryanair on the phone?

I am waiting in Chat Queue (fluctuating around 40minutes for waiting time), have dialled their Post booking number to get cut off after 1 minute each time, and the new booking line is not connecting.

Stubbornness paid off, I kept ringing and they eventually picked up.

Anyone manage to speak to Ryanair on the phone?

I am waiting in Chat Queue (fluctuating around 40minutes for waiting time), have dialled their Post booking number to get cut off after 1 minute each time, and the new booking line is not connecting.

Stubbornness paid off, I kept ringing and they eventually picked up.

How did you get on??

• Advertisement

How did you get on??

Issue sorted promptly

Advertisement