Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Strike implications re Cancellations NO INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS POSTS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

....but EU261 gives you alot of cover if you get stranded overseas.

1. They have to re-book you on next available flight
    2. if that means staying 2 x more nights overseas in a hotel....keep receipts of Hotel
    3. When you get home ..claim off Ryanair for the Hotel and other costs (taxi to and from hotel) etc.
    4. Claim a per person compensation of up to €250 each for inconvenience.

Am I being too simplistic here????
    I appreciate ... the extra 2 days will be an inconvenience if you have to be back to work etc ..so 2 more days holidays lost from you annual leave etc. But its alot better than the days of the Ash Cloud!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No compensation in case of strikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

L1011 wrote: »

WOW....didn't know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Argh I didn’t realise that :-/

It’s strange as I would argue cancellations due to cabin crew strikes are definitely more the direct responsibility of the airline compared to things like natural disasters, bad weather, ATC strikes, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

According to Which consumer rights website:

Unlike delays for other reasons, airlines are usually not obligated to offer compensation following a strike because strikes are usually considered to be 'extraordinary circumstances' - situations beyond the control of the airline that can include adverse weather conditions as well as certain strike action.

But, sudden strikes aren't classed as extraordinary circumstances when the industrial action has been called by an airline's staff rather than a third party, such as an air traffic control or a baggage handling strike.

This principle was confirmed by European judges in the German case of Helga Krüsemann and Others v TUIfly GmbH and will be legally binding throughout Europe and in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

Perhaps - and may be worth a sticky - people are confusing compensation with the airline still having to look after you

If its normal EU261 they have to look after you - e.g hotels and grub AND you can claim up to 600 quid

if its strike related EU261 still applies AND they STILL have to look after you - e.g hotels and grub BUT you can't claim any money on top

- do I have that right ?

LXFlyer wrote: »
    A little bit of guidance - Ryanair do not overnight staff at other bases.

So if your flight is prior to 07:30 in the morning, it will be operated by staff from that base.

If the flight arrives post say 22:00 it will be operated by staff based in the arrival airport.

Obviously it gets trickier to figure out during the day but that rule of thumb should give some guidance.

I am due to fly back to Ireland on the 12th, on the flight arriving from Palma Majorca at 23:59 (why they don't call that midnight i don't know).

I presume this will be operated by Dublin based crews and therefore potentially subject to cancellation. The flight earlier that day is at 6:25am and I presume this is operated by Palma based crews. Because there is over 12 hours in the difference between the times, I'm pretty sure they can't just stick us on that flight and i would be seriously annoyed with losing nearly a full day of our holiday.

to be honest, we only booked the Thursday flight because it was much cheaper than the weekend flights, so if they want to move our flights back to Sunday, I'm not too upset. We have accommodation and no reason to rush back so it could potentially work out well for us. gutted for the people flying out on that day though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,552 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Aegir wrote: »
    I am due to fly back to Ireland on the 12th, on the flight arriving from Palma Majorca at 23:59 (why they don't call that midnight i don't know).

I presume this will be operated by Dublin based crews and therefore potentially subject to cancellation. The flight earlier that day is at 6:25am and I presume this is operated by Palma based crews. Because there is over 12 hours in the difference between the times, I'm pretty sure they can't just stick us on that flight and i would be seriously annoyed with losing nearly a full day of our holiday.

to be honest, we only booked the Thursday flight because it was much cheaper than the weekend flights, so if they want to move our flights back to Sunday, I'm not too upset. We have accommodation and no reason to rush back so it could potentially work out well for us. gutted for the people flying out on that day though.

Correct re the crews.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭VG31

Aegir wrote: »

I imagine that's to avoid confusion regarding the date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

VG31 wrote:
    I imagine that's to avoid confusion regarding the date.

Probably right. But the human desire to round things off is curious. 23:59 is just as valid as 00:00 or 23:00. Why not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Oilbeefhooked!

Flying Glasgow to Lisbon on Thu 12th @ 11.05am ......is there anyway to find out if aircraft will be piloted by Dublin based crew????

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Danielvarian1

Quick question guys, I’m flying out of Dublin on the 24th july to Rome Italy, will any of these strikes affect my flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭CoisFharraige

Quick question guys, I’m flying out of Dublin on the 24th july to Rome Italy, will any of these strikes affect my flights?

Unless more get announced, no.

Unless more get announced, no.

Which I really hope doesn’t happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭CoisFharraige

Flying Glasgow to Lisbon on Thu 12th @ 11.05am ......is there anyway to find out if aircraft will be piloted by Dublin based crew????

Well it doesn’t go through Dublin, so no.

Which I really hope doesn’t happen.

Definitely won't announce more for before the dates already mentioned

Definitely won't announce more for before the dates already mentioned

Should be safe so as the strike is on 25th in Italy and our flights are 24th. What would worry me is the Irish strikes , nothing stopping them from doing one on the 12th then on the 24th.

I have 8 different flights (4 trips) to take over the next 6 weeks. They already got me on the 12th. it will just be pot luck for the other dates it seems. Pain in the ass big time.

I have 8 different flights (4 trips) to take over the next 6 weeks. They already got me on the 12th. it will just be pot luck for the other dates it seems. Pain in the ass big time.

It’s absolutely ridiculous, customers suffering due to industrial disputes. I understand where the staff are coming from. But not a thought is put into the feelings of civilians who have to suffer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ahbell wrote: »
    According to Which consumer rights website:

Unlike delays for other reasons, airlines are usually not obligated to offer compensation following a strike because strikes are usually considered to be 'extraordinary circumstances' - situations beyond the control of the airline that can include adverse weather conditions as well as certain strike action.

But, sudden strikes aren't classed as extraordinary circumstances when the industrial action has been called by an airline's staff rather than a third party, such as an air traffic control or a baggage handling strike.

This principle was confirmed by European judges in the German case of Helga Krüsemann and Others v TUIfly GmbH and will be legally binding throughout Europe and in the UK.

That is for wildcat (notice the word 'sudden') action only, this is a strike announced within legal parameters and with notice. There have been court cases taken with that reinforced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,092 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

MUC-DUB Thurs 12-July, at night.

Somebody told me not to check in online at this stage, as you can't change your flight once you've checked in?

True?

As in, wait until the announcement on Tues, and then maybe divert onto a flight the following day........

• Registered Users Posts: 43 morchgally

Dublin-Lisbon 06:45 26th of July.

As mentioned in a previous post, due to this flight being pre 07:30 it will be operated by an Irish crew, thus avoiding the strike. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Oilbeefhooked!

Well it doesn’t go through Dublin, so no.

No chance flight could leave Dublin for Glasgow in morning with Dublin crew, then fly Glasgow to Lisbon?? Or are planes on same route all day long??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

No chance flight could leave Dublin for Glasgow in morning with Dublin crew, then fly Glasgow to Lisbon?? Or are planes on same route all day long??

It’s called a W rotation and has been done many many times, nothing unusual about it, examples -
    DUB - BRS - BGY - BRS - DUB
    DUB - LGW - NOC - LGW - DUB
    DUB - BVA - RAK - BVA - DUB

I could go on and on but in this instance you’re correct, the GLA - LIS flight is a GLA based crew

I’m just worried that if this strike goes ahead, there may be more. We’ve already changed our flights to the 24th to avoid the strike in italy, but this could change too. Not nice having a lot of uncertainty and not being able to look forward to going away. I may sound a bit paranoid thinking the Irish would strike again before the 24th and the italians before the 25th, but when you spend so much on a holiday it’s normal to be concerned.

What are the odds of something like this happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,552 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

With all due respect how can anyone here answer that?

It’s an industrial dispute. There may be more stoppages.

No one can give you a definitive answer unfortunately.

Okay was just curious, thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

LXFlyer wrote: »
    With all due respect how can anyone here answer that?

It’s an industrial dispute. There may be more stoppages.

No one can give you a definitive answer unfortunately.

Looks as though Ryanair aren't going to roll over for the Union; likely to be some heavy turbulence ahead:-
    "An internal Ryanair memo has described Thursday's threatened strike by pilots as "blackmail", and says the airline will "face down" the industrial action.

The letter to staff, written by Ryanair's Chief People Officer Eddie Wilson, and seen by RTÉ News, said that only 27% of its 350 Irish-based pilots support the strike, and it "has no democratic mandate whatsoever".

Last week, Ryanair pilots balloted by the Irish Air Line Pilots' Association (IALPA) voted to back strike action in their dispute over terms and conditions, and a 24-hour strike is planned for this Thursday, 12 July.

Pilot unions said they will notify the airline of further stoppages in due course and remain available for engagement.

In his memo, Mr Wilson said that the IALPA's parent union Fórsa "have refused 20 separate invitations to meet us here at our Airside offices (which is where all other meetings with our people and their unions have taken place)".

The memo stated that if Fórsa does not meet with the airline tomorrow, Tuesday or Wednesday, then "it's likely some disruption will occur next Thursday".

It said unless such a meeting takes place, the airline will issue an update notice to passengers on Tuesday, advising them of plans to minimise the disruption caused by the strike.

Responding to the internal Ryanair memo, a spokesperson for Fórsa said: "The language is unhelpful, and in the context of an industrial dispute, is likely to push the parties further apart." A spokesperson for Ryanair said no one would be available today for comment. A spokesperson for IALPA also said they would not be commenting on the story.

RTE website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭dave62

Squatter wrote: »
    Looks as though Ryanair aren't going to roll over for the Union; likely to be some heavy turbulence ahead:-

RTE website

What are my chances of getting home from Spain on Tuesday on my scheduled flight.

Advertisement