Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Strike implications re Cancellations NO INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS POSTS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

This could get interesting...
    UK CAA advise all passengers who's flights are cancelled with less than ten days notice to claim compensation...

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/ryanair-strike-latest-compensation-cancelled-flights-claim-passengers-money-back-holiday-a8456721.html?amp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Blut2

This could get interesting...
    UK CAA advise all passengers who's flights are cancelled with less than ten days notice to claim compensation...

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/ryanair-strike-latest-compensation-cancelled-flights-claim-passengers-money-back-holiday-a8456721.html?amp

Thats rather positive. And EU261 is fantastic. But there really needs to be either an automatic system in place for payment claims, or else a large fine system for airlines that refuse/delay paying out valid claims.

Otherwise airlines in general, and Ryanair in particular, will bank on the fact that they can just refuse claims or delay the process as long as possible to help put off people from claiming.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

"In an extraordinary intervention, the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) has issued a statement urging grounded holidaymakers to claim their entitlement under European air passengers’ rights rules – known as EU261."

Further down the page the article notes:

"But Air France and British Airways, which have both experienced long drawn out disputes, have declined paying compensation to passengers whose flights are cancelled by industrial action."

It would be interesting to know if the CAA issued a similar statement in those disputes?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

marvin80 wrote: »
    I can't see it ending well for either side to be honest. Have flights booked in September with Ryanair but any other flights I require I'll be looking elsewhere, which is a pity because I was always happy with their service and especially their prices.

Plus one on this, in same boat for October. Hoping my plane is one of 6 pulled and they tell me now and I’ll just make alternative arrangements. Don’t want the spectre of strikes hanging over me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭opinionated3

My wife and I are heading off on our first holidays in over two years in September. I'm really regretting having booked with Ryanair now. Could get an aer Lingus flight out alright, but their return flights are booked out. Suffice it to say we made a vow never to book with them again. I was always uncomfortable booking with them in the first place, as I had suspicions of how bad the working conditions would be there, but this has made it minds up for us. I'll gladly save a little extra money and pay more for aer Lingus (or any other airline for that matter) in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

My wife and I are heading off on our first holidays in over two years in September. I'm really regretting having booked with Ryanair now. Could get an aer Lingus flight out alright, but their return flights are booked out. Suffice it to say we made a vow never to book with them again. I was always uncomfortable booking with them in the first place, as I had suspicions of how bad the working conditions would be there, but this has made it minds up for us. I'll gladly save a little extra money and pay more for aer Lingus (or any other airline for that matter) in future.

Because Aer Lingus have never gone on strike?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭opinionated3

MOH wrote: »

No. I always support a worker's right to strike. I just find them friendlier and easier to deal with. I know that might not be everyone's opinion but I've never had a bad experience with them. IMO the management at Ryanair have zero respect for their workers. They have no time for staff morale and their arrogance is appalling, especially Mr O'Leary. It's high time that that attitude was consigned to the history books. But that's just me. I can't see this being resolved anytime soon and I see my holiday and those of many other customers being put at risk of cancellation. I realise you get what you pay for, but as I said, I'll pay a little extra for peace of mind and a bit more class in dealings with customers....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Flying out next Friday.. will there be some kind of announcement today about whether flights on this date will be cancelled; if so do Ryanair have to find us an alternative flight on same date no later than 4 hours from time of orginal departure time.. if not, should we start looking at Aer Lingus flights.. flying to UK btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

Flying out next Friday.. will there be some kind of announcement today about whether flights on this date will be cancelled; if so do Ryanair have to find us an alternative flight on same date no later than 4 hours from time of orginal departure time.. if not, should we start looking at Aer Lingus flights.. flying to UK btw.
    https://twitter.com/Ryanair/status/1022144659206881285

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

MOH wrote: »

Yeah there was a period there a few years back where it was it was very much touch and go booking an Aer Lingus flight with them on strike constantly, with Ryanair being the reliable ones, most airlines at some point or another will have periods of industrial action.

I've 1 flight in August and 2 in September myself with Ryanair and I'm not worried at all because it's only a small percentage of flights being affected and to be honest I'm not going to waste my energy worrying about things that haven't happened yet or are unlikely to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Flying to Liverpool 31st July and back 3rd of August

Is it a case of sit back and hope nothing pops up about these issues effecting the flights?

jeffk wrote: »
    Flying to Liverpool 31st June and back 3rd of August

Is it a case of sit back and hope nothing pops up about these issues effecting the flights?

I don't think you're ever getting to Liverpool on that date, strike or no strike!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Generally on the days of the pilot strikes where they’ve cancelled UK flights has it been destinations where there would be more than one flight a day and then usually people could be accommodated on the same day but just a different time?

Thanks, but don't see anything regarding second part of my query. Plus read on twitter some people only being notified of flight cancellations two hours before they were due to fly!!

I don't think you're ever getting to Liverpool on that date, strike or no strike!

I blame the heat on not knowing what month is is :D

jeffk wrote: »
    Flying to Liverpool 31st June and back 3rd of August

Presume you mean 31st July? No strike on that date but they've scheduled a strike for 3rd August and the ones being cancelled are a percentage of the UK flights so yours may be affected.

Best thing to do is just keep an eye on their social feeds and flight status and try get in early and book an alternate time. There are 4 flights that day to Dublin so hopefully you won't be on a cancelled one (if any) but if you act on the notification as soon as you get it you may be able to get onto one of the other scheduled flights.

So for the moment I think sit back and hope for the best.

Thanks, but don't see anything regarding second part of my query. Plus read on twitter some people only being notified of flight cancellations two hours before they were due to fly!!
    Flying out Friday myself, not particularly nervous about cancellation prospect but we will know within hours. I've had a scan back through the thread for the prior experience of others to inform contingency plans, but haven't looked into it in detail.

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Presume you mean 31st July? No strike on that date but they've scheduled a strike for 3rd August and the ones being cancelled are a percentage of the UK flights so yours may be affected.

Best thing to do is just keep an eye on their social feeds and flight status and try get in early and book an alternate time. There are 4 flights that day to Dublin so hopefully you won't be on a cancelled one (if any) but if you act on the notification as soon as you get it you may be able to get onto one of the other scheduled flights.

So for the moment I think sit back and hope for the best.

Thats great thanks, Ill do that so :cool:

Based on prior experience that will likely be the case. Have they explicitly announced plans for 03/08 yet though? Incidentally some greats deals to be had for that day.

Based on prior experience that will likely be the case. Have they explicitly announced plans for 03/08 yet though? Incidentally some greats deals to be had for that day.

They'll probably announce the affected flights on the Tuesday or Wednesday for that Friday strike I imagine based on past announcements. I think the first one was only 1/2 days before the flight but the following ones have had a bit more notice based on what I've been seeing on their social feeds. It also looks like the number of cancelled flights have been reducing with each strike, as I'd say they have been drafting in other pilots to pick up for those flights. The last strike only had 16 cancelled flights so that would be a fairly encouraging sign for the next one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

When ryanair said they are removing 6 planes for the winter to Poland if this continues, (I heard on the radio they do that yearly anyhow). But when would they decide which planes/routes affected would anyone know?

pc7 wrote: »
    When ryanair said they are removing 6 planes for the winter to Poland if this continues, (I heard on the radio they do that yearly anyhow). But when would they decide which planes/routes affected would anyone know?
    That would be a very obvious ruse if that were the case, but I'm picking up that the difference this year is that planes will move (usually i believe they're parked up) and that this year they will not be returning to service. Ryanair do this all the time as a negotiation tactic e.g. with regional airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,896 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'm flying to NICE on 3rd August and I'm traveling with family. Does anyone know when Ryanair are going to announce what flights are being cancelled due to the strike?

They'll probably announce the affected flights on the Tuesday or Wednesday for that Friday strike I imagine based on past announcements.
    They've said on Twitter that they will cancel those 03/08 flights affected today. I posted the tweet above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Was supposed to be flying to Gdansk on 3/8 and back 6/8. Haven't booked my flight yet. Is there a list of cancelled flights available yet? Is it just IRL-UK routes affected?

Donie75 wrote: »
    Was supposed to be flying to Gdansk on 3/8 and back 6/8. Haven't booked my flight yet. Is there a list of cancelled flights available yet? Is it just IRL-UK routes affected?
    How's the price? My flights for 03/08 are now a third of what I paid. Worth the risk IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Mine have gone up €200. They were €280 the last few days but now €480 return. The flight on the 3rd is €349.
    Crazy stuff....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,896 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

All cancelled flights are announced and are between IRE-UK

Quazzie wrote: »

Probably safe to say at this point that anyone who has a non-UK flight booked in the near future should be fine provided other bases don't start rolling strikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Quazzie wrote: »

Is there a list anywhere? Have a friend coming over for a visit on the 10pm Manchester Dublin flight on the Friday

Advertisement