Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apprentice UK 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

ncmc wrote: »
    Cringing at Michaela and Elizabeth perving over the models and measuring their inside leg. If it were men doing that to women there would be outrage!

SO unprofessional and pervy. By all means, think pervy thoughts but do not in ANY way show it.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Next week the reset button is basically being pressed, poor candidates can become potential winners and vice versa. Roisín and Gráinne were looking very good at this stage in their respective series, interviews flipped that on its head. Thomas Pellereau and Leah were by far the weakest contestants when it got to the final five, but their strong business propositions changed everything. All to play for next week.

If I were to guess, I'd say it'll be Sarah and Michaela in the final, but who knows.

:confused:

The interview episode is usually one of the best of the series

Not really. It *used* to be but now it’s all about the interviewers taking cheap shots and demeaning the candidates. I don’t personally find that entertaining. The interview episode was much better when it was more grounded in reality but that’s a looooong time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Almost every week there is some drama around the subteam not communicating correctly with the PM. I wouldn't be surprised if there are hidden rules around this. Perhaps they can only call at specific times with a limit on the call duration.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Almost every week there is some drama around the subteam not communicating correctly with the PM. I wouldn't be surprised if there are hidden rules around this. Perhaps they can only call at specific times with a limit on the call duration.

Not sure if it's true, but I have read on the DS forum that apparently they're only allowed a limited number of calls, which would explain why so much seems to not be communicated properly.

There's so many hidden rules to the show, the most obvious one being they're not allowed to use Google to find out what products to locate, businesses, directions etc. As I've said before, we're invited to laugh at all the contestants mistakes, but the reality is that the tasks would take a considerably longer amount of time to execute properly than they're given. Take tonight's fashion show that Jade had to narrate for example, with all they had to do could she really have learnt and practised all the information about the clothes they were trying to sell in the allotted time? No chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

:confused:

The interview episode is usually one of the best of the series

As previously stated it has become a soundbyte episode where the interviewers dress them down followed by a badly edited reaction from the candidates

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Was watching 'the apprentice you're fired' afterwards. Harrison took it well, Jade less so but she deserved to go after showing her true colours with Joanna last week. With that said, I felt like she was thrown under the bus this week by Harrison and Sarah pushing her to be PM and doing the initial negotiating. However it was madness going for pieces around the 1k mark.

Joanna was much better doing the catwalk presentation but she still has a rather annoying way about her.

Hard to see who'll come through the interviews!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Not sure if it's true, but I have read on the DS forum that apparently they're only allowed a limited number of calls, which would explain why so much seems to not be communicated properly.

There's so many hidden rules to the show, the most obvious one being they're not allowed to use Google to find out what products to locate, businesses, directions etc. As I've said before, we're invited to laugh at all the contestants mistakes, but the reality is that the tasks would take a considerably longer amount of time to execute properly than they're given. Take tonight's fashion show that Jade had to narrate for example, with all they had to do could she really have learnt and practised all the information about the clothes they were trying to sell in the allotted time? No chance.

I'd love to see a detailed account of what actually goes on during day-to-day tasks and not the obvious stuff like the Boardroom isn't real and actually takes hours to film, and the cars don't actually leave in 20 minutes!

I'm sure it won't happen while the series is active though, as everyone will sign NDAs etc.

By all accounts though, they get f-all time to eat and are just given mainly unhealthy stuff while filming.

An acquaintance of mine got far in the auditions a few years ago, he said it was a brutal process, with contestants having to openly insult each others' clothing and everything.

You're right about the actual reality of the tasks.

It's clear the contestants aren't nearly as useless as they make out, but of course showing them ace-ing everything won't garner ratings. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Next week the reset button is basically being pressed, poor candidates can become potential winners and vice versa. Roisín and Gráinne were looking very good at this stage in their respective series, interviews flipped that on its head. Thomas Pellereau and Leah were by far the weakest contestants when it got to the final five, but their strong business propositions changed everything. All to play for next week.

If I were to guess, I'd say it'll be Sarah and Michaela in the final, but who knows.

Very true, if I recall Roisin was actually the first out. Bianca wasn't a strong contender at all or Courtney last year

I suspect Harrison's business plan eventually cost him, health food is way too faddy at the minute - you only have to go to any food festival or awards at the moment and it will be littered with such products

I actually think James is the main contender myself now. It was very telling when LS didn't fire him a few weeks back as PM when a culling was due.

I looked him up on Linkedin and he works in Medical and IT recruitment which are booming industries really. Sarah has probably been the least bad contestant overall so if it's anything feasible or decent she'll probably join him. Michaela is the only other possibility really, you'd think. You'd have to imagine she'll have a well costed/thought out idea, but I can't see LS really taking to her on a personal level (ditto Joanna)

I like Elizabeth, but the cynic in me just feels she's still there for a ratings stunt more than anything
    _Dara_ wrote: »
    Not really. It *used* to be but now it’s all about the interviewers taking cheap shots and demeaning the candidates. I don’t personally find that entertaining. The interview episode was much better when it was more grounded in reality but that’s a looooong time ago.

I'd say it'd be interesting to see an uncut version, but it's quite badly edited

"These figures are very misleading" and then cut to contestant with their mouth hanging open (when in reality they would likely have had a valid retort, which has been cut out of the final edit)

mojesius wrote: »
    Was watching 'the apprentice you're fired' afterwards. Harrison took it well, Jade less so but she deserved to go after showing her true colours with Joanna last week.

This has been totally overblown, IMO. I also strongly suspect some crafty editing going on, they cut back to Jade keeping talking after Joanna said to be quiet but it wasn't a continuous shot. Shenanigans with the editing there, I think. Both Jade and Joanna were being irritants with each other, I didn't think Jade was any worse than Joanna who can't seem to grasp what brainstorming is. Brainstorming is talking out loud, bouncing ideas around and not getting fixated on the first one that pops into your head.

• Advertisement

jr86 wrote: »
    I'd love to see a detailed account of what actually goes on during day-to-day tasks and not the obvious stuff like the Boardroom isn't real and actually takes hours to film, and the cars don't actually leave in 20 minutes!

Watch the first few series on Youtube if you haven't already, they get so much more into the nitty gritty of the tasks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

This has been totally overblown, IMO. I also strongly suspect some crafty editing going on, they cut back to Jade keeping talking after Joanna said to be quiet but it wasn't a continuous shot. Shenanigans with the editing there, I think. Both Jade and Joanna were being irritants with each other, I didn't think Jade was any worse than Joanna who can't seem to grasp what brainstorming is. Brainstorming is talking out loud, bouncing ideas around and not getting fixated on the first one that pops into your head.

Fair point, it's hard to know the full picture in the short time but you have to work with different personalities in business leadership and Jade's way of dealing with her wasn't the most effective. Wasn't it Jade's idea to go with natrofuel? I'd have been pretty vocal if that was being pushed as the final brand name. I agree with you that Joanna's idea of 'brainstorming' leaves a bit to be desired.

Joanna shouldn't have lasted this long anyway, saved only by the fact that there were weak candidates who got the chop

mojesius wrote: »
    Joanna shouldn't have lasted this long anyway, saved only by the fact that there were weak candidates who got the chop

She's coming into her own a bit now though and last night's win was probably one of the first of the series where it was a good win rather than being the least worst. I wouldn't be at all surprised if she was a finalist, tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,246 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

She's coming into her own a bit now though and last night's win was probably one of the first of the series where it was a good win rather than being the least worst. I wouldn't be at all surprised if she was a finalist, tbh!
    I thought the cover mock up was pretty horrendous though....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Joanna bossed this week's task, it was probably the most impressive performance by a PM in this series so far. Jade would have had to have been earning around 40% commission to have beaten her, if not more.

Joanna doesn't seem to be the miserable git she once was earlier in this season, I dunno if that is due to editing (to make her seem worse than what she really was) or maybe she began to get on with Elizabeth after that dog task

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

I thought it was unfair about the magazine covers. The men's magazine obviously (from the meeting) want bright covers for their front page which I presume was never communicated to the team. They never really stood a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭siblers

wyrn wrote: »
    I thought it was unfair about the magazine covers. The men's magazine obviously (from the meeting) want bright covers for their front page which I presume was never communicated to the team. They never really stood a chance.

Yeah, in the boardroom they never brought up about James posing as if he was a magician. It wasn't just the colours that was the issue with the magazine cover

gmisk wrote: »
    I thought the cover mock up was pretty horrendous though....

They're not art directors and have a limited amount of time. Stuff like that is forgivable.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,246 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

They're not art directors and have a limited amount of time. Stuff like that is forgivable.
    True but I thought the picture and style of the other mock up was fairly good in contrast

gmisk wrote: »
    True but I thought the picture and style of the other mock up was fairly good in contrast

Aye, I guess someone on that team might have a better eye. But business-wise, Joanna did well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'd like to see Joanna win it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It's the interviews tonight I think, always my favourite episode seeing them get shredded in the interview!

Let us take a moment to remember the greatest ever interview - Claude and Solomon.

Claude starts off with praising Solomon on his cv and application form. Lures him into a false sense of smugness

and then BOOM! Claude loses it. I especially love the fact that Solomon is so shocked he tries to leave the wrong way :D

I wonder will Elizabeth's interview top this.

Annual reminder that this year's final will be on next Sunday coming (17th) rather than next Wednesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

Elizabeth is coming across v surly in her interview....big mistake!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Sarah and Elizabeth are toast.

laylag wrote: »
    Elizabeth is coming across v surly in her interview....big mistake!!!
    I know she's coming across as surly but part of me admires her for it because she's sticking up for herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Called that one wrong. Michaela was juggling too many businesses!

So Elizabeth's business plan is Interflora?

• Advertisement

Shocked! I don't think it's the right choice.

The finalists are a guy who has never run his own business, he will have to poach clients from his previous employment, and he was fired from that industry.

Sarah has a business that is identical to a number of competitors, she has a low profit margin, hasn't seemed to take any risks and couldn't be arsed to get a working website.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement