Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colm Cooper's 'corporate-sponsored dinner'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

seems like the Gooch only got a small % appearance fee here and the rest went to the company that organised it plus charities.

this event, was basically only his in name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

seems like the Gooch only got a small % appearance fee here and the rest went to the company that organised it plus charities.

source?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Sounds like you have some knowledge on this. Any more details forthcoming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Just to throw my tuppence in now when it's all settled down. Fair play to him and I have no issue at all with a former player doing this. I see it as no different from them getting a job on RTE on the back of their playing career so the irony of clowns like Brolly being up in arms about it is hilarious when the man has been creaming it on the back of the GAA and many of those amateur players who he's thrown under a bus himself for over 20 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Will he be going round now with those big novelty cheques and handing them out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Jayop wrote: »
    Just to throw my tuppence in now when it's all settled down. Fair play to him and I have no issue at all with a former player doing this. I see it as no different from them getting a job on RTE on the back of their playing career so the irony of clowns like Brolly being up in arms about it is hilarious when the man has been creaming it on the back of the GAA and many of those amateur players who he's thrown under a bus himself for over 20 years.

It's not the same though is it ... commentary, articles for papers .... rte or Sunday world employ you for your views.

Having a "sure I'm great" piss up and pocketing a % of the proceeds isn't the same.

hawkelady wrote: »
    It's not the same though is it ... commentary, articles for papers .... rte or Sunday world employ you for your views.

Having a "sure I'm great" piss up and pocketing a % of the proceeds isn't the same.

What's Brolly on the Sunday game for? Like what does he actually do?

1) Tells a few really crap jokes
    2) Argues with a Kerry man
    3) Insults Tyrone players
    4) talks about gaelic

That's it. That's exactly what the Gooch will have done at this dinner too. I don't see the difference, both are being paid for providing the above 4 services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

What's Brolly on the Sunday game for? Like what does he actually do?

1) Tells a few really crap jokes
    2) Argues with a Kerry man
    3) Insults Tyrone players
    4) talks about gaelic

That's it. That's exactly what the Gooch will have done at this dinner too. I don't see the difference, both are being paid for providing the above 4 services.

So Cooper told some crap jokes?
    What Kerry man did he argue with?
    And who specifically did he insult from Tyrone?

So Cooper told some crap jokes?
    What Kerry man did he argue with?
    And who specifically did he insult from Tyrone?

They were jokes. :rolleyes:

I'm on Coopers side on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Joe Brolly who was sent to boarding school and then Trinity and Queens University and went on to rake in the cash working as a Barrister has always been very comfortable talking in public and letting us know right from wrong and how we should behave. Goodman Joe, keep up the good work!

Not all barristers rake in cash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Agree completely and don't see it as any different to those that released auto-biographies. The most obvious difference of course is that none of the pundits or biographers, as far as I am aware of, donated any of their earnings, obtained because of their name afforded to them through the GAA, to charitable organisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Was the "it's for charity but I get to decide how much of it actually goes to charity" issue addressed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

As I said before, and worked in sector, charities tend to get trivial % of money allegedly collected on their behalf. Just look at all the media stories about them over last ten years. And even the money they do get is almost all used to pay their staff!

I would imagine that the main beneficiary apart from Gooch was the organiser who has cleverly placed himself as agent for high profile players.

Pat Spillane has a piece in the indo today about this event

He says that neither Kerry gaa nor dr crokes will take any funds from gooch arising from the dinner.

On the back of this he assumes that gooch will issue a new statement outlining how the proceeds will be distributed.

He says he has met dozens of gaa officials and die hard gaa people and not a single one was in favour of this testimonial dinner. (Anecdotally anyone I know involved in the gaa was and is dead against the dinner also).

People are privately seething over the whole thing.

He contrasts goochs move with a dinner for the o Sé brothers with ALL PROCEEDS going to a new development for An Gaeltacht.

Fair play to them I say. That's the right way of doing things. Not stunts like the testimonial dinner.

Pat Spillane has a piece in the indo today about this event

He says that neither Kerry gaa nor dr crokes will take any funds from gooch arising from the dinner.

On the back of this he assumes that gooch will issue a new statement outlining how the proceeds will be distributed.

He says he has met dozens of gaa officials and die hard gaa people and not a single one was in favour of this testimonial dinner. (Anecdotally anyone I know involved in the gaa was and is dead against the dinner also).

People are privately seething over the whole thing.

He contrasts goochs move with a dinner for the o Sé brothers with ALL PROCEEDS going to a new development for An Gaeltacht.

Fair play to them I say. That's the right way of doing things. Not stunts like the testimonial dinner.

Who?

danganabu wrote: »
    Who?

Ask pat Spillane. It's his article. Presumably Kerry gaa people.

Sorry didn't realise that was a quote from the article.

To be honest I think its pretty hypocritical of Spillane considering the money he makes off his name and lets face it very little else.

Any GAA people I have been talking to, and admittedly none from Kerry, have all had the attitude of fair fcuks to him. Personally I really am struggling to see what the issue is, if he were still playing then yes its a massive problem but he is a retired player, if there is a market for his name/brand whatever you want to call it, then he would actually be rather foolish not to take advantage of it.

To be honest I think its pretty hypocritical of Spillane considering the money he makes off his name and lets face it very little else.

Any GAA people I have been talking to, and admittedly none from Kerry, have all had the attitude of fair fcuks to him. Personally I really am struggling to see what the issue is, if he were still playing then yes its a massive problem but he is a retired player, if there is a market for his name/brand whatever you want to call it, then he would actually be rather foolish not to take advantage of it.

The gaa would rather that generous donors gave the money directly to the clubs or county boards and not to an admittedly brilliant player and then he divvy a portion of it out as he wishes

The gaa would rather that generous donors gave the money directly to the clubs or county boards and not to an admittedly brilliant player and then he divvy a portion of it out as he wishes

Ah I get that and I see both sides of the story, it just amuses me that almost all of those who have criticised it have themselves made plenty off their name or their standing in the GAA. What Gooch did is different and far more 'in your face' if you like, but for all intents and purposes its the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Any GAA people I have been talking to, and admittedly none from Kerry, have all had the attitude of fair fcuks to him. Personally I really am struggling to see what the issue is, if he were still playing then yes its a massive problem but he is a retired player, if there is a market for his name/brand whatever you want to call it, then he would actually be rather foolish not to take advantage of it.[/quote

But he is not retired, he is still a playing member of the GAA. I really hope he publishes a statement of accounts and details where every penny went. That will satisfy the majority of association members that he has hopefully not benefitted personally from it. All the examples of pundits reaping financial rewards are pointless, they are working!!!! His gig was money for old rope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

ArielAtom wrote: »

Any GAA people I have been talking to, and admittedly none from Kerry, have all had the attitude of fair fcuks to him. Personally I really am struggling to see what the issue is, if he were still playing then yes its a massive problem but he is a retired player, if there is a market for his name/brand whatever you want to call it, then he would actually be rather foolish not to take advantage of it.[/quote

But he is not retired, he is still a playing member of the GAA. I really hope he publishes a statement of accounts and details where every penny went. That will satisfy the majority of association members that he has hopefully not benefitted personally from it. All the examples of pundits reaping financial rewards are pointless, they are working!!!! His gig was money for old rope.

Of course he is personally benefiting from it, he stated from the start he is.

Monies going to charities and himself.

He is under no obligation to provide accounts for anyone but the Revenue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Vronsky

Ah I get that and I see both sides of the story, it just amuses me that almost all of those who have criticised it have themselves made plenty off their name or their standing in the GAA. What Gooch did is different and far more 'in your face' if you like, but for all intents and purposes its the same thing.

I'm sorry but it's totally different. GAA stars that use their profile for media work or product endorsements have to work for their money, but most importantly this activity does not compete directly with the GAA for funding. Monies paid for media work would never have gone to the GAA, likewise for endorsements. Essentially Cooper is competing with the GAA for the same euro, he is competing with the organisation that have him a profile in the first place. That's what sickens people.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

The Mooch is now a pundit like Pat and Joe and generally there is no problem with that - if he's good at it then fair play on all money he'll make at it.
    But to compare that to holding a dinner and pretending the proceeds where going to charity to take the bad look of it has ruined his legacy as a great IMO.

The Mooch is now a pundit like Pat and Joe and generally there is no problem with that - if he's good at it then fair play on all money he'll make at it.
    But to compare that to holding a dinner and pretending the proceeds where going to charity to take the bad look of it has ruined his legacy as a great IMO.

Wow wow there now that's a pretty serious accusation and I hope you have proof to back it up?

Oh and you constantly referring to his as ''Mooch'' is more that a little tiresome, if someone told you it was amusing or witty, they were lying to you!!

Wow wow there now that's a pretty serious accusation and I hope you have proof to back it up?

Oh and you constantly referring to his as ''Mooch'' is more that a little tiresome, if someone told you it was amusing or witty, they were lying to you!!

So you agree that commentating or giving analysis of a game isn't the same as making money from hosting a dinner.
    Glad that's cleared up then

hawkelady wrote: »
    So you agree that commentating or giving analysis of a game isn't the same as making money from hosting a dinner.
    Glad that's cleared up then

Where did you infer that?

Do you have problems reading or are you being intentionally obtuse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

I fail to see the difference between retired inter county players like Spillane, Brolly and O'Rourke making money from their GAA related work/punditry and another retired inter county player Gooch making money from his relationship to the GAA.

I think much of the anger from the pundits stems from the fact they didn't think of it first.

You can't go around taking a wage for doing GAA related work and then give out about others also earning an income. These pundits need to write about something and they usually focus negatively on whatever is topical.

Hey dangan , you previously said that what cooper did with his dinner is the same as ex players commentating or writing for a newspaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Whatever about Cooper's testimonial, there is no excuse for giving him an offensive nickname.

Advertisement