Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colm Cooper's 'corporate-sponsored dinner'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Great interview on The Ray Darcy Show he came across really well, fair play to him doing his bit for charity and his club

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Hey X, there's a chance we could organise an event that might see you make €20-30k for one night... Charities will benifit too. Would you be interested?

I'm not sure too many of us would be appauled if that was offered to us. The fuss being made about this is daft imo.

He is one of the biggest names in GAA, it's not up to him to be worried about other players.
    Charities shouldn't be getting involved if they are being used, there's nothing to suggest they are.
    If people are willing to pay to attend then fire away.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

PARlance wrote:
    He is one of the biggest names in GAA, it's not up to him to be worried about other players. Charities shouldn't be getting involved if they are being used, there's nothing to suggest they are. If people are willing to pay to attend then fire away.

Unless he genuinely wants some charities to do well from it. That's possible

I agree with you on this btw. Some people are too interested in what other people are getting, it never works out well for anyone in the end imo.

Stoner wrote: »
    Unless he genuinely wants some charities to do well from it. That's possible

I agree with you on this btw. Some people are too interested in what other people are getting, it never works out well for anyone in the end imo.

I'm sure he wants the charities to benefit. They'll recognise the benefit of having charities involved but it doesn't have to be a cynical play. I'm happy to see both benefit.

Some people (thanks to the original articles) are getting carried away with the figures being thrown around imo. There's no way they'll get 500 people paying €500 a piece to get to the €250k figure being quoted.

Even if it was a sellout, you could have anything up to 10% (50) non paying guests: Friends, family, teammates, club representatives, charity partners, media partners etc. in attendance.

300 paying guests at €500 would be great going imo, that's €150k. There are a lot of costs coming out of that too. Assuming a fairly high-end event, I wouldn't be surprised with €100k in costs.

Venue Rental & Staffing: 30k
    Food & Beverage: 30k
    Audio & Visual: 10k
    Event Planner & Team: 20k
    Misc: 10k (table flowers, some flute with a violin, MC and lots of other sh1te like that)

All guesses of course but I've been involved in similar events and they are nowhere near as profitable as they may seem once you get passed the headlines. Profitable if done right but there's a fair amount of cost, risk, work going into them.

I would guess that €50k "profit" would be about where it falls, €75k at a maximum. If 50k, 30k to the man himself and 10k a piece to both charities, would be very nice work for them. He won't be retiring on it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,090 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

liam7831 wrote: »
    Great interview on The Ray Darcy Show he came across really well, fair play to him doing his bit for charity and his club

Seems like a lot of personal love here towards colm, you must be from kerry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Seems like a lot of personal love here towards colm, you must be from kerry

You should change your name to Sergeant Hodgins :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Theres a lot of paid employees of the GAA who make a tidy wedge off the back of the players- so I really dont have a problem with this as if people are willing to pay it then let them.

Would I pay €100 (or whatever it is) to go? Nope, so I wont go but if others want to then fair enough
    yeah, thats cause they are employed by the gaa
    colm has a nice handy number with the bank.
    I doubt he's counting coins in a back office down in killarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Over a 150k if they sell it. Obviously his agent will take a cut.

If he was doing it off own bat then fair enough. This dragging charities into it is bad. I used to work for people who raised money for various groups and the trivial amounts that went to the alleged beneficiaries would stop anyone ever buying a card or signing a direct debit!

CRC in Dublin was making something like 3% out of money raised in their name! Total scam.

An earlier poster made a very valid point...it is a team sport and Cooper did not win on his own and he is also lucky enough to end on his terms rather than because of a terrible injury.

What about all his teammates over the years?

So you be adverse to any player on a team doing this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

What about his teammates?

There is no I in team... lmao, do you think gooch is worried bout this teammates that helped him be so successful?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

And don't forget about what he gets himself.. Are you danny healy rae or his other side kick Michael.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    yeah, thats cause they are employed by the gaa
    colm has a nice handy number with the bank.
    I doubt he's counting coins in a back office down in killarney.

What does his job with AIB have to do with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Gooch is a mooch, the man is an icon for the game but wow €500 a plate maybe he's going into politics soon seems a greedy thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Safehands

Gooch is a mooch, the man is an icon for the game but wow €500 a plate maybe he's going into politics soon seems a greedy thing to do.

Yeah, Good point. Watch this space to see which party puts him forward. He'd have loads of money and attention then, I think he'd like that. Good bet for Paddy Power.

What does his job with AIB have to do with this?

Did you not hear that Gooch caused the economic crash?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Regardless of your opinion of Gooch and him pocketing of the proceeds or not, it says a lot about the corruption and waste in corporate Ireland when businesses think its OK to spend 500 a head on an outing like this. Many of these are either public companies or banks that were either bailed out or are still mainly owned by the taxpayer.... We need a Che Guevara figure to come in there and have a clear out imho

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I just watched the LLS - Not one to agree with Brolly but Coopers stuttering and stammering sounds like someone whose been caught out.
    Whole thing doesn't sit well with me. Seems to be ill advised - this issue looks like it could now define him instead of the serious footballer he was - what a shame!

And now. He showed on Saturday that he is one of greatest forwards ever. this money thing should not define him.

Unfortunately - I do think this will define him and as soon as the **** storm started he should have distanced himself from it and pulled out but I have feeling he is being ill advised. I'm all for GAA players making a few quid here and there for appearances and after dinner speaking but this stinks of greed.

Gooch the Mooch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Safehands

Unfortunately - I do think this will define him and as soon as the **** storm started he should have distanced himself from it and pulled out but I have feeling he is being ill advised. I'm all for GAA players making a few quid here and there for appearances and after dinner speaking but this stinks of greed.

Gooch the Mooch

Dig outs have a bad resonance in Ireland. Bertie was fond of them too. He also had loads of support.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Gooch the Mooch

That is not a fair description of the chap.

I'm a Dub and he and other Kerry players have humiliated us over the years. Only recently has balance been redressed!

But to dismiss him on basis of this is uncalled for.

I'm from Tyrone and if I saw Sean Cavanagh do the same thing I would call it out too so there is no county bias here - I just think its not right. Use your persona and profile to make a few quid from the usual stuff but to have an overpriced dinner in your name and attach a few charities to it to take the sting out of it is wrong. 
    Plus he only remembered about a contribution to his club and county (who gave him the coaching and platform throughout his life) when he was lambasted in public. Cue an exclusive announcement on LLS saying that he's delighted to say that there is now a contribution to the club.
    By the way if this was a dinner for the Gooch because he was down and out because he was unable to work again due to football I'd be all for it!

So are all GAA players to hand back any money that they make via endorsements/advertising?

• Advertisement

So are all GAA players to hand back any money that they make via endorsements/advertising?
    No thats my point - they deserve to use there persona for advertising endorsements etc. but i just draw a line at selling a dinner in their name for 1/4 of a million and attaching charities to it to make it look like some sort of worthy cause! 

Maybe i'm way off - just my opinion. Always loved watching Gooch play but now I think every time I see him from now on I'll always associate him with this as much if not more than the football.

No thats my point - they deserve to use there persona for advertising endorsements etc. but i just draw a line at selling a dinner in their name for 1/4 of a million and attaching charities to it to make it look like some sort of worthy cause!

Maybe i'm way off - just my opinion. Always loved watching Gooch play but now I think every time I see him from now on I'll always associate him with this as much if not more than the football.

But do you have a brekadown of what individual players have made in endorsements over the last few years?
    I'd imagine a few might have made more than the 250k, with none of it going to charity.

It almost seems like people would prefer if he didnt give money to charities

We don't mind him doing well for himself, just as long as he doesn't do too f'n well for himself...

That's the basic attitude imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

PARlance wrote: »
    We don't mind him doing well for himself, just as long as he doesn't do too f'n well for himself...

Not true. We're all for people supporting players but this guy is not in need.

Adam Burke is

• Registered Users Posts: 15,398 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

But do you have a brekadown of what individual players have made in endorsements over the last few years?
    I'd imagine a few might have made more than the 250k, with none of it going to charity.

It almost seems like people would prefer if he didnt give money to charities

He should either give it all to charity at this stage

Or, be upfront and say it's a big money spinner for himself. He needs to clarify what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,398 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Or, be upfront and say it's a big money spinner for himself. He needs to clarify what the story is.

Edit. He was just on off the ball and when pressed for an answer he said the majority of the takings will go to charity and Kerry gaa

Do you think that all the money that players get from endorsements & events should be given over to charity?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

PARlance wrote: »

Totally disagree,good luck to all players with any monies that they can accrue from their participation in gaelic games.They are well deserving of any small compensation that comes their way via media work,ribbon cuttings etc.

But for me this event is a slippery slope,the charity angle appears whither the perception is correct or not to be nothing more than an after thought.

The best of gaelic players will always gain most financially from their brilliance but they are still dependent on their colleagues. Are the Emyln Mulligans of this world any less deserving of a big send off than Gooch,Bernard Brogan etc?Most definitely not,all players club,inter county make in most cases huge sacrifices but neither seek nor are likely receive the monetary rewards or recognition that comes to players of the quality of the Gooch.

The concept of this testimonial doesn't sit well with the ethos of the GAA family.We are not and should not be like Animal Farm.

All animals are equal but some more so than others.

Gooch will not be short of a bob with his book and ample supply of media work into the future.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Totally disagree,good luck to all players with any monies that they can accrue from their participation in gaelic games.They are well deserving of any small compensation that comes their way via media work,ribbon cuttings etc.

But for me this event is a slippery slope,the charity angle appears whither the perception is correct or not to be nothing more than an after thought.

The best of gaelic players will always gain most financially from their brilliance but they are still dependent on their colleagues. Are the Emyln Mulligans of this world any less deserving of a big send off than Gooch,Bernard Brogan etc?Most definitely not,all players club,inter county make in most cases huge sacrifices but neither seek nor are likely receive the monetary rewards or recognition that comes to players of the quality of the Gooch.

The concept of this testimonial doesn't sit well with the ethos of the GAA family.We are not and should not be like Animal Farm.

All animals are equal but some more so than others.

Gooch will not be short of a bob with his book and ample supply of media work into the future.

But this once again begs the question- should players hand over all monies made via endorsements?

It's the same principle- if Bernard was from Longford, handsome and all as he is, he wouldnt get half the gigs he does. So he is getting them at least in some way due to his colleagues- so should he be made share the wealth?

What about other GAA players- King Henry, etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Seeing as he pretty much gave up his life for Kerry GAA for over a decade and considering the skill and talent he has, i've no problem with him making money from a testimonial.
    Yeah, he got a job with AIB but you can be sure they got something from that too.

He's making money after giving so much to football and fair fcuks to him. Going to the dinner aint obligatory.

Advertisement