Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colm Cooper's 'corporate-sponsored dinner'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

ProudDUB wrote: »
    It really isn't. There are a lot of managers and players (both current and former) who make a decent bit of money doing punditry and journalism gigs, product sponsorship, corporate events, PR product launches, promotion for charity events, after dinner speaking, participation in motivational events and sports seminars etc etc. Let's not kid ourselves that the GAA is an entirely amateur organisation. None of these people are making a full time living from what they do. (I am not even getting into managers being paid.) But you'd be very, very naive not to know that there is a lot of money floating about, if you are a high profile GAA figure.

But with all those people you know what you are getting. You know what is expected of you, the consumer. You either choose to buy what they are selling or you don't. There are lines.

You either read/watch/listen to their Sunday Game gig, or Indo column, or you don't. You either buy into their involvement with a charity cycle and donate, or you don't. You either toddle along to Carton House, where you watch a former GAA great make a fool of himself on the tee, (along with a former soccer "great" and a former rugby international "great", who will all tweet about it later, along with thanks to Company XYZ "for the great day out" ) or you don't.

Everyone is being paid to do a job - be it speak, give an opinion, play a round of golf, promote a charity, endorse a product, or show up at a pre AI final event. It is all done to sell something. We don't seem to have a problem with any of it. But what is Gooch selling here? What are we being asked to buy? Nothing ! Yet he makes 250,000 out of it all, just by being himself? It just seems off. I can't quite put my finger on it, or define it properly. It just seems off. Add in the charity angle, that he using them to promote the event and himself as an all around decent skin, as opposed to it being the other way around usually....and it just blurs the lines even further.

You say it's off and yes I agree. Anyone even rmotely connected with the GAA knows damn well that generous 'expenses' are paid out even at intermediate club level.

I know countless examples in my own county and others where certain star players are kept sweet with brown envelopes stuffed with cash. Christ when I think back to my secondary school days- certain players officially repeated the Leaving Cert without even attending classes or exams just to play again on the senior hurling/football teams- they were bribed back and that's at secondary level 20 years ago.

Everyone else is on the gravy train.

As the GAA have said today, it goes entirely against the hallowed amateur ethos.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I just can't see how the GAA can stop a citizen doing this. I can't see there being a huge market for it as it's limited to retired players. As they can ban current ones.

I'd back Cooper's right to do this , over and above everything else.

We can all chose not to go and he can have one if he wants

We should add it to the referendum;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Stoner wrote: »
    I just can't see how the GAA can stop a citizen doing this. I can't see there being a huge market for it as it's limited to retired players. As they can ban current ones.

I'd back Cooper's right to do this , over and above everything else.

We can all chose not to go and he can have one if he wants

We should add it to the referendum;)

You're right. They can't ban them outright. They could ban the use of all GAA logos at the event, bar signed jerseys & memorabilia auctions (always a big money spinner at events like these) from taking place, or ban highlight reel clips being shown at the event. The aul copyright infringement laws cover a lot. But in the grand scheme of things, there is not a lot they can do, if the event is held in non GAA facilities and it involves retired players. They can make life awkward for the organisers and the player involved, but that is about it.

What might happen is that behind the scenes, corporate Ireland is warned - get involved in some thing like this at your peril. You can kiss goodbye to any current or future involvement with us, if you do. You might see fewer and fewer events like these getting off the ground, if the deep pockets behind them have been scared off.

I can also see current & former players being reluctant to publicly get involved in them either, for fear it damages their own reputations & long term earning power. All of a sudden, those handy meet and greets down at the Ploughin' every year, the comfy spots on the sofa on the Off The Ball roadshows, the corporate golf days out at Carton House....all those gigs that fatten the bank balance every year, they are given to someone else, with a more squeaky clean reputation as "a true Gael."

That may prey just as much on the minds of most of them, as any moral concerns about the amateur ethos of the GAA. That being said though, the pool of players who would ever qualify (for want of a better word) for an event of the size of Coopers, wouldn't be all that big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

blue note wrote: »
    I haven't read this whole thread, so I'm not sure if it's been linked to already. But did anyone read Brolly's article on Andorra in the Independent the other day? Dear God what a shill he is. If he can capitalise on his GAA celebrity to make money on that (or just get a free holiday or whatever) then he really can't point the finger at anyone else for making money from their GAA celebrity too.

http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/ski/on-the-piste-with-joe-brolly-in-andorra-think-ibiza-on-ice-36205907.html

Just a few excerpts from it

"Like every bar in this tiny principality, it was vibrant, like a Bacardi Breezer ad. The gorgeous waitresses and hunky waiters drink shots behind the bar. When you order your first drinks, they bring out trays of shots, just to get the motor running. Cool music beats out constantly. You find yourself dancing, along with everyone else.

The world is left behind. Think Ibiza on ice.
    It was my first package holiday. Everything was so easy, like being a small child on a school trip to the zoo. The Topflight reps were standing at the airport waiting for us when we arrived. Basically, from that point on, we didn't have to do anything. They checked us in, sorted the luggage, boarded us. We didn't have to fret or hang about. We just followed their instructions.

Disembarking was just as easy. They sorted the luggage, we got on the bus sitting at the airport doors, then marvelled at the panorama as we ascended into the mountains. We were dropped at the hotel, then the luggage was brought and dropped at reception.
    Unbelievably easy."

"The next morning, our rep, Tom, who was incredibly attentive throughout, had arranged a one-to- one instructor."

" The social life in Andorra is fantastic. The atmosphere is jolly and vibrant. The best tasting beer in the world is the one after skiing. The food is basic enough but good, and you are so ravenous after a day on the piste that the large plates of dinner quickly disappear, like hangovers. The air is so fresh and cold that in the morning, your head clears almost as soon as you go outside. By St Patrick's Day, we were jubilant. When we came off the slopes, together, it was like Christmas morning. We went to the bar in a group. A huge tray full of shots was brought over to us and we were up and running. We watched the All-Ireland club finals, cheering and roaring. Then we drank and sang and danced until there was nothing else for it but to sleep."

"We got on the flight and as soon as we sat down, I turned to the glamorous brunette and said, "Let's go back next year.""

I could actually quote the whole article.

Now, I will say that I agree with him entirely about skiing. It's an amazing holiday and I couldn't recommend it highly enough. And I especially agree with his sentiment that you have a burning desire to improve, you just become determined to get it right (and you certainly won't in your first week). However, he didn't write this without incentive. He's making money on the back of the GAA like Colm Cooper is doing and like hundreds of GAA celebrities do. He shouldn't be throwing stones!

Careful now...or you’ll get a writ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Careful now...or you’ll get a writ

What an odious personality he has become

His views actually get a lot of traction from a subsection of GAA fans. I like to call them the GAA’s idiot fringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Paraic “Sky deal” Duffy??

The irony of him being happy to have as much money as possible swirling around the GAA once the players aint getting it-while on a 6 figure sum salary himself- should not be lost on anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Paraic “Sky deal” Duffy??

The irony of him being happy to have as much money as possible swirling around the GAA once the players aint getting it-while on a 6 figure sum salary himself- should not be lost on anyone.

Pairc ui coimh in Cork pay no rates for the stadium because the gaa are an amateur organisation. Munster rugby pay €80,000 per annum for their rates in musgrave park.
    If each stadium in the 32 counties get the same freebie, the gaa will have saved €2.56 million each year. And yet it's lads on CE schemes who tend the pitches...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Pairc ui coimh in Cork pay no rates for the stadium because the gaa are an amateur organisation. Munster rugby pay €80,000 per annum for their rates in musgrave park.
    If each stadium in the 32 counties get the same freebie, the gaa will have saved €2.56 million each year. And yet it's lads on CE schemes who tend the pitches...

yet another idiotic and pointless post.

Rates have nothing to do with whether an organisation is amateur or not. Its to do with the commercial valuation on profit making businesses within i.e. pubs/bars etc. and numerous GAA clubs have to pay commercial rates for this reason. Croke Parks rates are over €2 million per annum.

Perhaps check your facts before making statements

• Registered Users Posts: 15,398 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

So this dinner is still going ahead tomorrow evening.

Are we any the wiser about the arrangements gooch intends to take regarding the proceeds of the evening?

The breakdown of monies heading in his direction and monies heading for good causes -charities, gaa, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,102 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

So this dinner is still going ahead tomorrow evening.

Are we any the wiser about the arrangements gooch intends to take regarding the proceeds of the evening?

The breakdown of monies heading in his direction and monies heading for good causes -charities, gaa, etc?

You might have to make a freedom of information request.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

At the monent the money is just resting in his account

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Either that or he has it under the mattress

PARlance wrote: »
    You might have to make a freedom of information request.

Nah I won't bother but I'd say the revenue might be keeping a very close eye

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Jesus I hate that "joke"

It was funny in the episode of Fr Ted that it was delivered in but that was it.

Did you really think you were being original and funny posting that ?

I remember Matt Copper on the Last Word a few years ago after a piece about someone and some financial scandal asking people not to text any more "It was only resting in my account" texts.

I'd be curious to know if the event sold out. Were any of the deep pocketed, PR conscious corporate bigwigs (that would normally be all over a shindig like this) put off by all the negative publicity?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,989 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What was the menu does anyone knw ???

Heard the Waterford senior hurling squad are holding a 'Year in review dinner' in November €100 money going towards the team holiday fund

PTH2009 wrote: »

Heard the Waterford senior hurling squad are holding a 'Year in review dinner' in November €100 money going towards the team holiday fund

That's an official waterford gaa event though? And it benefits the whole team and back room staff presumably? I'd have no problem with that once they are upfront about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Surely that can't be compared to the Moochs event?

Would love to hear how it went and see some financials!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

It was a very enjoyable event, good food and wine. There were plenty of recognisable names from Irish sport there:

Ruby Walsh
    B Geraghty (I think it was him anyway)
    Cora Staunton
    B Brogan
    Niall Quinn
    Donaghy
    Jacko
    A Quinlan
    Sean O'Brien
    Ogie
    and more

if you want to see some financials - ask the Gooch himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

I'm not sure if the amateur things washes with the public anymore. Surely even the dogs in the street know that coaches and players, with the more successful counties, albeit, are 'looked after'. For the purposes of clarification I don't begrudge anybody who puts in huge effort getting compensated/remunerated. Any criticism from the GAA to my mind is ironic. It's the efforts of the players that fill stadiums. It's the managers who help the players reach a level of performance which helps put on the entertainment that gives incentive to fill the stadiums. I know the game will never be professional in the blatant sense but in all reality it already is in all but name.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

holyhead wrote: »
    I'm not sure if the amateur things washes with the public anymore. Surely even the dogs in the street know that coaches and players, with the more successful counties, albeit, are 'looked after'. For the purposes of clarification I don't begrudge anybody who puts in huge effort getting compensated/remunerated. Any criticism from the GAA to my mind is ironic. It's the efforts of the players that fill stadiums. It's the managers who help the players reach a level of performance which helps put on the entertainment that gives incentive to fill the stadiums. I know the game will never be professional in the blatant sense but in all reality it already is in all but name.

Good players have always been looked after in terms of jobs. Which is fair enough. I think the thing about the Gooch event is that is was floated as charity benefit. I doubt very much they got much out of it. That's not down to Cooper, he didn't organise it, but it is disingenuous. Events like this should be just held as what they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Jesus I hate that "joke"

I remember Matt Copper on the Last Word a few years ago after a piece about someone and some financial scandal asking people not to text any more "It was only resting in my account" texts.

bad day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Benildus wrote: »
    It was a very enjoyable event, good food and wine. There were plenty of recognisable names from Irish sport there:

Ruby Walsh
    B Geraghty (I think it was him anyway)
    Cora Staunton
    B Brogan
    Niall Quinn
    Donaghy
    Jacko
    A Quinlan
    Sean O'Brien
    Ogie
    and more

if you want to see some financials - ask the Gooch himself

menu?

plenty of wine?

Jesus I hate that "joke"

Careful now ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Jesus I hate that "joke"

Yeah...Down with that sort of thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Jesus I hate that "joke"

What's your favourite humming noise?

Advertisement