Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colm Cooper's 'corporate-sponsored dinner'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Seeing as he pretty much gave up his life for Kerry GAA for over a decade and considering the skill and talent he has, i've no problem with him making money from a testimonial.
    Yeah, he got a job with AIB but you can be sure they got something from that too.

He's making money after giving so much to football and fair fcuks to him. Going to the dinner aint obligatory.

It seems a begrudging moan is though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

But this once again begs the question- should players hand over all monies made via endorsements?

It's the same principle- if Bernard was from Longford, handsome and all as he is, he wouldnt get half the gigs he does. So he is getting them at least in some way due to his colleagues- so should he be made share the wealth?

What about other GAA players- King Henry, etc

I believe the Dublin team have a setup whereby all monies earned are put into a central pot?

I know the bigger profile players are always likely to get a bigger share of the pot but I think this testimonial is pushing the boundaries in terms of the existing financial inequity and may cause long resentment within the playing community.It is in no way good for the long term health of the GAA.

seligehgit wrote: »
    I believe the Dublin team have a setup whereby all monies earned are put into a central pot?

I know the bigger profile players are always likely to get a bigger share of the pot but I think this testimonial is pushing the boundaries in terms of the existing financial inequity and may cause long resentment within the playing community.It is in no way good for the long term health of the GAA.

You didnt answer the question that I put to you!

Also Dublin do not put all their monies into a central pot and what pot would Gooch put his in now? He's been retired for a year.

You didnt answer the question that I put to you!

Also Dublin do not put all their monies into a central pot and what pot would Gooch put his in now? He's been retired for a year.

I thought I answered your question,I'll deal with the reality of the GAA world.No is the answer to your question because a central fund would never be runner.Most counties don't have a central pot nor would the players likely agree to one nor have a need for one.

So as things stand as I stated previously I wish the Gooch and all others the best of luck with monies accruing from any endorsements,books,media work.

I simply don't agree with the concept of the testimonial for singling one player out and the monies involved.

I thought I answered your question,I'll deal with the reality of the GAA world.No is the answer to your question because a central fund would never be runner.Most counties don't have a central pot nor would the players likely agree to one nor have a need for one.

So as things stand as I stated previously I wish the Gooch and all others the best of luck with monies accruing from any endorsements,books,media work.

I simply don't agree with the concept of the testimonial for singling one player out and the monies involved.

But by their definition- endorsements and books single a player out too.

• Advertisement

Agreed but for me they are a tad less visible,less likely to cause resentments.For me the testimonials are a gig too far.

If the difference between the haves and have nots within the GAA community becomes too great it will likely have long term ill effects for the organisation as a whole.

Agreed but for me they are a tad less visible,less likely to cause resentments.For me the testimonials are a gig too far.

If the difference between the haves and have nots within the GAA community becomes too great it will likely have long term ill effects for the organisation as a whole.

I agree on the latter- 100%.
    However I feel that we have been going down this road for a long time in a semi-stealth/ignored manner and the only additional issue with the Gooch's dinner is that we know the figures!

1 minor player from each county has been getting paid 1500 to go up to Dublin for the photoshoot prior to the All Ireland semi finals for the last few years, etc
    There is a good chunk of money in circulation!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I think book is far more visible and far more likely to cause resentment (depending on the subject matter in it obviously) than a one night "private" event. Seeing a player plastered on TV is also more "in your face" I would say.

The only reason this is making waves imo is the price of the tickets / potential earnings for Gooch. We're fairly happy for star players to pick up a couple of grand here and there but when a six figure sum is mentioned then it's all of a sudden unfair on teammates.

Anyone that has a problem with Gooch should have a problem with any player cutting a ribbon. It's the same thing just on a different scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

It would be interesting to see a poll on whether people agree or disagree with the event.

To be honest if i put myself in colms shoes right now I'd be a tad embarrassed but maybe that's not his mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

Unfortunately - I do think this will define him and as soon as the **** storm started he should have distanced himself from it and pulled out but I have feeling he is being ill advised. I'm all for GAA players making a few quid here and there for appearances and after dinner speaking but this stinks of greed.

Gooch the Mooch

You just can't help but contribute to the thing you supposedly find unfortunate.
    Maybe i'm way off - just my opinion. Always loved watching Gooch play but now I think every time I see him from now on I'll always associate him with this as much if not more than the football.

You're unsure of yourself so the best thing to do is contribute to the Donald Trump style -try make it stick name calling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,093 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Seeing as he pretty much gave up his life for Kerry GAA for over a decade and considering the skill and talent he has, i've no problem with him making money from a testimonial.
    Yeah, he got a job with AIB but you can be sure they got something from that too.

He's making money after giving so much to football and fair fcuks to him. Going to the dinner aint obligatory.

Isn't that how any employment is supposed to work ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

he's worked there since leaving school
    never played third level
    he's been well looked after by AIB

most GAA club people who have mentioned it to me are disgusted by it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭flasher0030

The label on us as a nation of begrudgers is well versed at this stage. I don’t get the comments that in order to make this seem “correct”, he needs to let us know how much is involved, and he needs to be transparent as to how much goes to charity. He 100% doesn’t. He can go about it any way he wishes. It is nobodys business if 100 people go, or 300 people go, or if he gives all or none to charity. There is no moral ground involved or any ethics to be fulfilled. He or an advisor/compatriot saw an opportunity – in the vein of entrepreneurship. He is not getting a handout. He is going along the old economic adage of supply versus demand. Mulligan from Leitrim was mentioned a few posts back. If he tried to organise such a function, would the demand be there to fill a function room. Probably not. But Cooper is different. He has more of that celebrity status within the GAA circle – self-earned of course by being one of the greatest footballers in recent history anyway, and has given enormous social/life sacrifices along the way. Nobody is forcing any other person’s hand to buy any of these tickets. If it sells, then great. If it doesn’t, then it’s egg on the face time, and Cooper would presumably lose out on some fixed costs/deposits that would have presumably been paid. Is it a whole lot different than paying for a ticket to any type of gig? – supply and demand etc. Unless the GAA are contributing to this, how is this a handout? Is it not completely at the behest of the public if they will purchase a ticket for the event. I’m sure the charity element was introduced because someone involved with Gooch latched on to the notion that we are a nation of begrudgers, and figured that they better associate a charity to the event, because how dare one of our greatest footballers pocket a whole load of money for having a celebratory event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Isn't that how any employment is supposed to work ?

The "something" they got was more than his basic functions as an employee. How much would you like to bet that his image was used in advertising AIB?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

He's some man for the cursing. F this and B this and F you in the A the other. He seemed so nice when he said nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    he's worked there since leaving school
    never played third level
    he's been well looked after by AIB

most GAA club people who have mentioned it to me are disgusted by it
    I've no doubt AIB were good to him but he would have made some arrangement for image rights, advertising, visiting schools to promote opening AIB a/c's etc; worked into his contract. AIB aren't a charity and didn't just give him easy money: a few hours less in the bank are made up elsewhere and elsehow.

Who cares what most people say about it? They don't have to buy a ticket. He was the best footballer in a long time; sacrificed an awful lot and for what? Let those who want to celebrate his contribution do so. The puritans who think he shouldn't be remunerated can continue their penny-pinching and griping. Let them tog out and entertain the country with their talent.

Testimonials won't be given for every player but let any man take a chance on it, if he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,185 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Colm Cooper can make any money he like in any way he wants, no problem.
    Dressing it in the cloak of two charities makes the whole issue quite different.
    If people cannot see this, they have a certain, moral compass problem.

If CC wanted to give it all to charity, after the event, fine by me. But in this case, the names of the 2 charities have been used, to wash the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,398 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Water John wrote: »
    Colm Cooper can make any money he like in any way he wants, no problem.
    Dressing it in the cloak of two charities makes the whole issue quite different.
    If people cannot see this, they have a certain, moral compass problem.

If CC wanted to give it all to charity, after the event, fine by me. But in this case, the names of the 2 charities have been used, to wash the event.

When pressed last night He said that just over 50% will go to the charities. Presumably he keeps the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Water John wrote:
    Colm Cooper can make any money he like in any way he wants, no problem. Dressing it in the cloak of two charities makes the whole issue quite different. If people cannot see this, they have a certain, moral compass problem.

This is it in a nutshell for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

When pressed last night He said that just over 50% will go to the charities. Presumably he keeps the rest.

Who pays for the dinner, employees to wait the tables, drinks etc would this not be cut out of it too I assume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭kingcharles82

Deserves every penny, he entertained the whole gaa community for over a decade, one of the greats to play football and I'm not surprised listening to the begruders, it is typical Ireland, Cooper an amateur sportstar and I'm delighted he can make some money on his night, he worked and dedicated his life to sport and entertaining everyone who watched. Nothing but respect for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,398 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

James 007 wrote: »
    Who pays for the dinner, employees to wait the tables, drinks etc would this not be cut out of it too I assume.

Obviously he meant he keeps whatever "profit" following the costs of the night.

Certainly don't begrudge CC any money he makes.
    If he has now come out and said, they'll get half, that's an improvement, but late in the day. His hand was forced on this.
    Charities and their methods come under a Charity Regulator for good reason.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

seligehgit wrote:

We are very very fair in Dublin. No farms to give away to just one person seligehgit while the rest just get a site.

These things happen.

Gooch is getting the farm. At least its performance related.

Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Water John wrote: »
    Certainly don't begrudge CC any money he makes.
    If he has now come out and said, they'll get half, that's an improvement, but late in the day. His hand was forced on this.
    Charities and their methods come under a Charity Regulator for good reason.

That's it really. If he had come out at the beginning and said that the charities were getting as much as they were, maybe people would look differently at the whole thing. He didn't and, his good name has been dragged through some fairly mucky mud for a good couple of weeks now. What stopped him (or one of the organizers) from coming out and saying that from the get go? The fact that they didn't, now makes the amount going to charities, look like a recent decision. As in, a decision that was only recently made to put a better PR spin on things, once they saw all the negative reaction and stop Gooch's good name from being tarnished even further. And by good name, I mean from a business perspective. He won't want to damage his "brand" any more than it already has been, as he'll want to keep well in with the powers that be that keep former players like him, in spare pocket money. It's hard not to be quite cynical about the whole thing, which is a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭blue note

I haven't read this whole thread, so I'm not sure if it's been linked to already. But did anyone read Brolly's article on Andorra in the Independent the other day? Dear God what a shill he is. If he can capitalise on his GAA celebrity to make money on that (or just get a free holiday or whatever) then he really can't point the finger at anyone else for making money from their GAA celebrity too.

http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/ski/on-the-piste-with-joe-brolly-in-andorra-think-ibiza-on-ice-36205907.html

Just a few excerpts from it

"Like every bar in this tiny principality, it was vibrant, like a Bacardi Breezer ad. The gorgeous waitresses and hunky waiters drink shots behind the bar. When you order your first drinks, they bring out trays of shots, just to get the motor running. Cool music beats out constantly. You find yourself dancing, along with everyone else.

The world is left behind. Think Ibiza on ice.
    It was my first package holiday. Everything was so easy, like being a small child on a school trip to the zoo. The Topflight reps were standing at the airport waiting for us when we arrived. Basically, from that point on, we didn't have to do anything. They checked us in, sorted the luggage, boarded us. We didn't have to fret or hang about. We just followed their instructions.

Disembarking was just as easy. They sorted the luggage, we got on the bus sitting at the airport doors, then marvelled at the panorama as we ascended into the mountains. We were dropped at the hotel, then the luggage was brought and dropped at reception.
    Unbelievably easy."

"The next morning, our rep, Tom, who was incredibly attentive throughout, had arranged a one-to- one instructor."

" The social life in Andorra is fantastic. The atmosphere is jolly and vibrant. The best tasting beer in the world is the one after skiing. The food is basic enough but good, and you are so ravenous after a day on the piste that the large plates of dinner quickly disappear, like hangovers. The air is so fresh and cold that in the morning, your head clears almost as soon as you go outside. By St Patrick's Day, we were jubilant. When we came off the slopes, together, it was like Christmas morning. We went to the bar in a group. A huge tray full of shots was brought over to us and we were up and running. We watched the All-Ireland club finals, cheering and roaring. Then we drank and sang and danced until there was nothing else for it but to sleep."

"We got on the flight and as soon as we sat down, I turned to the glamorous brunette and said, "Let's go back next year.""

I could actually quote the whole article.

Now, I will say that I agree with him entirely about skiing. It's an amazing holiday and I couldn't recommend it highly enough. And I especially agree with his sentiment that you have a burning desire to improve, you just become determined to get it right (and you certainly won't in your first week). However, he didn't write this without incentive. He's making money on the back of the GAA like Colm Cooper is doing and like hundreds of GAA celebrities do. He shouldn't be throwing stones!

Haven't read Brolly in a long time and not on anything to do with CC.
    Many people assessing the CC story without listening to Brolly.
    If Brolly has done something wrong or is hypocritical is not my concern. Two wrongs don't make a right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

In wicklow this weekend Leighton Glynn is hoping to get his 20 championship medal in football and hurling, he gave great service to the county teams and to the compromise rules and is a super club man and works hard with the kids and trained every bit as hard as the gooch and was unlucky where he was born and was every bit committed as the gooch.
    But nobody will organise a big charity dinner for him when he hangs up his boots,
    Agree if this was a Dublin player there would be more media attention.

Gaa is amateur organisation from the roots to the top.

In wicklow this weekend Leighton Glynn is hoping to get his 20 championship medal in football and hurling, he gave great service to the county teams and to the compromise rules and is a super club man and works hard with the kids and trained every bit as hard as the gooch and was unlucky where he was born and was every bit committed as the gooch.
    But nobody will organise a big charity dinner for him when he hangs up his boots,

Why dont you organise one for him? Organising one is extremely easy to be honest. GAA clubs manage to organise dinner dances every year.

It is just then a question of whether the people of Wicklow, etc will come out to support him- so you obviously feel that this is in doubt.

So why wont the people of Wicklow support one of their finest footballers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

It really isn't. There are a lot of managers and players (both current and former) who make a decent bit of money doing punditry and journalism gigs, product sponsorship, corporate events, PR product launches, promotion for charity events, after dinner speaking, participation in motivational events and sports seminars etc etc. Let's not kid ourselves that the GAA is an entirely amateur organisation. None of these people are making a full time living from what they do. (I am not even getting into managers being paid.) But you'd be very, very naive not to know that there is a lot of money floating about, if you are a high profile GAA figure.

But with all those people you know what you are getting. You know what is expected of you, the consumer. You either choose to buy what they are selling or you don't. There are lines.

You either read/watch/listen to their Sunday Game gig, or Indo column, or you don't. You either buy into their involvement with a charity cycle and donate, or you don't. You either toddle along to Carton House, where you watch a former GAA great make a fool of himself on the tee, (along with a former soccer "great" and a former rugby international "great", who will all tweet about it later, along with thanks to Company XYZ "for the great day out" ) or you don't.

Everyone is being paid to do a job - be it speak, give an opinion, play a round of golf, promote a charity, endorse a product, or show up at a pre AI final event. It is all done to sell something. We don't seem to have a problem with any of it. But what is Gooch selling here? What are we being asked to buy? Nothing ! Yet he makes 250,000 out of it all, just by being himself? It just seems off. I can't quite put my finger on it, or define it properly. It just seems off. Add in the charity angle, that he using them to promote the event and himself as an all around decent skin, as opposed to it being the other way around usually....and it just blurs the lines even further.

Advertisement